Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 13, 2023 10:04 PM
Dec 2019
I’m sorry, but I caved halfway through. I genuinely do not like this anime. I thought speeding through via the manga would help, but surprise surprise, if you don’t like the anime, the manga is worse. What was the appeal? What made you keep watching? I couldn’t even tell you what happened in the previous episode when I was watching it weekly. I’m making a habit of not dropping anime anymore, so this was just torture for me. But now that it’s finished, anyone else not like this, or what was it that kept you interested?
Oct 13, 2023 10:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
in an era where 1/2 the seasonals are medieval setting and a decent chunk of them star some guy with short black hair who is OP/Invinsible doing basically the same shit over and over along with his pseudo harem, a show being "different enough" will peak my interest and/or keep me interested

i mean, i give this show creativity points, not to mention the Harry Potter jokes you can make

but yea... even then it was pretty mid imo... most shows are too safe nowadays, its annoying af
Oct 13, 2023 11:03 PM

Jul 2015
Well, it is just as generic as it gets.
You have watched any other hard fantasy with medieval setting, you have basically seen this one as well. Bland and boring characters so not help either.

Oct 13, 2023 11:05 PM

Jan 2020
I have no idea why this was so hyped by LN readers. This, Eminence in Shadow, and Mushoku were the most hyped LN series prior to anime imo, and the latter 2 actually lived up to that hype. Shame on me for thinking the same for this one.
Oct 13, 2023 11:57 PM

Jan 2015
Reply to EcchiGodMamster
in an era where 1/2 the seasonals are medieval setting and a decent chunk of them star some guy with short black hair who is OP/Invinsible doing basically the same shit over and over along with his pseudo harem, a show being "different enough" will peak my interest and/or keep me interested

i mean, i give this show creativity points, not to mention the Harry Potter jokes you can make

but yea... even then it was pretty mid imo... most shows are too safe nowadays, its annoying af
@EcchiGodMamster To be fair he is not really OP. He is average through and through(I think it was mentioned in the anime multiple times). He can use his spellblade on a very rare occasion, but then it's a huge detriment to his health and he can only use it like 3 times. So just that makes it very interesting imo. A protagonist that can't just go and one shot anyone. So I disagree with your take on "OP/Invinsible doing basically the same shit over and over".

@Animillion Cause it only adapted 3 volumes and there are 6 more? Did you ask the same thing about cote after the first season? It's a novel, if it's hyped, there is usually a reason. Maybe if there is a season 2, 3 you'll like it more. I personally loved all the buildup.
HirugikuOct 14, 2023 12:01 AM
Oct 14, 2023 2:08 AM

Feb 2021
Simply don't watch it, that is it.
Oct 14, 2023 3:14 AM

Jan 2023
I liked it. I see the points people are making, that it's not really that innovative or doing something new.

But I like the serious under tone and a focus on a group that builds up, where they need each other in different ways. It also gave me an eery feeling which kinda kept me curious, which helped me get through the first build up episodes.

But the whole season seemed like a lot of build up so think if there comes another season, will it be more intense.
Oct 14, 2023 5:39 AM

Jul 2011
While I'll admit this wasn't a great anime, I did enjoy it.

It starts with just saying this school is dangerous and learning magic may cause you to die. You don't see many animes admitting that the school they're going to is dangerous. The MC, or in this case two MCs, have powerful magic but rarely use it. Not to mention the revenge story is a neat idead. One odd thing I like is the characters aren't stupid. Two of them understand they are currently at a weak level, and stay behind and don't try to follow them.

Again, the anime isn't perfect, and the magic is pretty odd. Still, I enjoyed it, and will most likely be reading more.
Oct 14, 2023 6:00 AM

Sep 2018
I'm not a huge fan of fantasy but I liked the characters and the worldbuilding. The soundtrack was on point too, despite not being particularly unique.

Comparison with other fantasy school anime: I liked Mushoku Tensei s2, but this was straight up better in every aspect aside from maybe the theme of sexuality, which is something addressed by Nanatsuma in an interesting way too so it's not a minus at all. I dropped Zero no Tsukaima after a couple of episodes because I didn't like anything about it. It's ok, everyone's taste is different.
Oct 14, 2023 7:06 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to Hirugiku
@EcchiGodMamster To be fair he is not really OP. He is average through and through(I think it was mentioned in the anime multiple times). He can use his spellblade on a very rare occasion, but then it's a huge detriment to his health and he can only use it like 3 times. So just that makes it very interesting imo. A protagonist that can't just go and one shot anyone. So I disagree with your take on "OP/Invinsible doing basically the same shit over and over".

@Animillion Cause it only adapted 3 volumes and there are 6 more? Did you ask the same thing about cote after the first season? It's a novel, if it's hyped, there is usually a reason. Maybe if there is a season 2, 3 you'll like it more. I personally loved all the buildup.
@Hirugiku

i don't think you understood what i said... lol

i wasn't talking about this show.. i was literally saying this show IS NOT THAT, which made it "different enough" to keep me interested... lol

maybe i didn't clarify that, since the MC does have black hair
Oct 14, 2023 7:30 AM
Dec 2019
Memore said:

Nobody forced you to leave a reply, clearly if you read anything at all then you’d know that’s exactly what I’m doing.
Oct 14, 2023 7:43 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to INTJ_Ren
Memore said:

Nobody forced you to leave a reply, clearly if you read anything at all then you’d know that’s exactly what I’m doing.
@INTJ_Ren, I read it, thanks.
Oct 14, 2023 9:28 AM
Dec 2019
Memore said:
@INTJ_Ren, I read it, thanks.

As long as we tracking.
Oct 15, 2023 5:08 PM

Oct 2015
You can always a dropped it if you don’t enjoy it. I dropped Demon Slayer despite its hype~

It is a light novel adaptation, not a manga adaptation. Based on my experience with manga adaptations of LNs, they are terrible to read through.

I watch it for the flashy animations but the anime cut the skeleton soldier puzzle. >_<

I don’t have any issues understanding the story after every episodes.

I am interested because of the amount of flashy animations, gore, etc.
Not sure if they will adapt Volume 5 in the future. I wanted to see live humans get grinded to power magic golems. >_>
Oct 17, 2023 1:54 PM
Sep 2019
Please for the love of god, do drop anime whenever you don't feel like watching it. I had a really bad habit of only watching trashy shows and keeping the good ones for later, until I realized that it just ate away at my love for anime and I was just becoming burnt out. Respect your time. If you don't have good anime to watch do something else. The world is a big place.

That said I kept watching because in the first half I genuinely liked this show and didn't understand the bad rating. Episode 6 was just a banger. But then show started to go downhill and all its problems just became worse. It had potential to be something good at the hands of a better writer but its just very rushed, not exploring interesting ideas more, giving them time to flourish.
Oct 17, 2023 7:04 PM
Oct 2021
i can see why people say its bad but i think it wasnt THAT bad tbh, i would def see a season 2 just to see how the plot develops on that main story with the mc's mom
Oct 19, 2023 6:09 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to Animillion
I have no idea why this was so hyped by LN readers. This, Eminence in Shadow, and Mushoku were the most hyped LN series prior to anime imo, and the latter 2 actually lived up to that hype. Shame on me for thinking the same for this one.
@Animillion the hype comes from the theme
Not the execution, a better example than Mushoku doesn't exist, it had everything to be wonderful

And it's not
I'm a penciller (comic & manga artist) and I love Gunpla & scratch build.
My best work in scratch, Kaneda bike
..._ _ _...

Click 👆 to see my profile
Oct 19, 2023 6:09 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to Animillion
@Animillion the hype comes from the theme
Not the execution, a better example than Mushoku doesn't exist, it had everything to be wonderful

And it's not
..._ _ _...

Oct 19, 2023 6:12 AM
Apr 2020
Let's go

The theme itself is good. Overall the anime is good
But got lost focusing on dungeon, there ended up being the place that made the school famous, where students died
After that, another "mistake" was extending certain scenes/arcs
All the eps could be counted in 8, and we would still have 2 or 3 villains killed, and hype for S2
..._ _ _...

Oct 27, 2023 11:17 PM

Oct 2007
Reply to RustyCookies
Please for the love of god, do drop anime whenever you don't feel like watching it. I had a really bad habit of only watching trashy shows and keeping the good ones for later, until I realized that it just ate away at my love for anime and I was just becoming burnt out. Respect your time. If you don't have good anime to watch do something else. The world is a big place.

That said I kept watching because in the first half I genuinely liked this show and didn't understand the bad rating. Episode 6 was just a banger. But then show started to go downhill and all its problems just became worse. It had potential to be something good at the hands of a better writer but its just very rushed, not exploring interesting ideas more, giving them time to flourish.
@RustyCookies Pretty much this. I agree on both the time you spend on watching anime and the problem with this anime.
No body has unlimited time to watch anime or anything for that matter, and nowadays people can pump out countless anime each season.

As for this anime, it had the potential but the execution was what pulled it back, sigh.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 28, 2023 7:37 AM
Mar 2020
Same here,
I actually like fantasy anime and medieval gimmick like this anime but this anime just doesn't feel like it. The MC that not OP is a good touch and refreshing, he is just had more training and can use spellblade occasionaly. But what make me hate this anime is the inconsistency, like wtf? most of the scene are underwelming the only scene that worth to watch is Oliver vs Darius, other than that? mehh. I like the gimmick as i said, that the mc's motive is running underground organization to avenge the death of his mother but why throughout the whole series, the whole damn series with 15 episodes theres only Darius fight scene that talk about it? don't the mc have to do something else to take down the other remaining teacher? make a plan or do shit with his underground organization. But whatever, if this anime want to take the chill path not pushing too hard on the main mc's problem then fine, next consent gonna be, rushed? idk how to describe it but the finale is extremely underwelming, no intense fight, only monster tentacle-ish cinematic, the character doesn't do anything, not to mention the mc lost all his appeal in this fight, and what happened to Milligan? did she died? if so, she died for what? she "sacrificed herself so the other can survive but in the aftermath there's nothing and no one talks about her, i understand the Ophelia's motivation but the other like meh, Milligan's sacrificed that no one cares, carlos's family contract, even Godfrey doesn't seems sad or emotional when his "best friend" carlos gone, isn't this emotional moment usually the selling point if an anime try to make a cour that focus on something? or as called arc? but idk i only watch anime so maybe i need to read the other adaptation.
Nov 2, 2023 10:19 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to INTJ_Ren
Memore said:

@INTJ_Ren 🤣/..._ _ .../..............
Nov 6, 2023 12:51 PM
Dec 2013
Reply to Animillion
@Animillion This was never going to be a good anime series. The plot is far too slow and methodical to be condensed into a cliff notes version for an anime.
Nov 8, 2023 9:32 AM
Oct 2017
enjoyed this way more than trying to force myself to watch one piece so I'm content with it was a good watch

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.