Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2013 1:10 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty decent for another shorty. And as always, SSP-Corps quality is fantastic!

The characters were good, and it had some good comedic parts.

The androids were just too generic, with no personality whatsoever.
But the fight scenes were excellent.

I gave it 7/10, I would've given it more if the androids would've been better.

Overall, one of the better 80's one-off OVAs I've seen.

Urahara Out!!
Feb 4, 2015 4:44 PM

Mar 2014
I liked it. The animation wasn't outstanding, but it was nice enough for the era. The story also wasn't all that interesting and didn't even have much of an arc to it, instead being more of an excuse to just have some action happen. However, I really thought Sybel was a great character, and her sidekick reporter, Leakey, was pretty good as well.
I think this would have been great as a series, with Sybel facing off against new enemies each episode and trying to land a big scoop. It's a shame they didn't make any more.
::End of Transmission::

Mar 27, 2015 5:24 PM

Feb 2013
The terminator-style chase was alright. I military aircraft was cool too. Everything else, pretty below average.
Aug 3, 2017 6:59 AM

Dec 2015
Action chase against a killing machine with a few scares. It seemed like a wannabe Rambo/Terminator, except those have something more (well, Rambo at least).
Some good action scenes, everything else being average.

Big bonus: unlike later Shirow-based anime, this OAV preserved his designs style.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Score: 5/10

@Dexteroboru I am disappointed, I watched it expecting something terrible. XC

Rei_IIIAug 3, 2017 7:05 AM
Aug 3, 2017 10:18 AM

May 2011
One of the worst things i've ever seen in my entire life.
-blank characters
-bad visuals
-mediacore story

Enjoyment: 2/5
Score: 4/10
Aug 4, 2017 2:04 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
it was a nice Ova, with a smiles and full action with this robots/androids that want to kill the young professor´s daughter!!!
The best was the principal character, the reporter, the woman, risking her life for a notice!!! ;) i think this is the message for this Ova, and the credits we can enjoy with differents scenes when the young woman makes her works between the danger and smiles, all for the news!!!

6/10
Sep 12, 2018 3:35 PM

Oct 2015
I felt after Sybel exploded that robot there would be a real last one, that one didn't feel like it was the last. The story was unique and I liked Ferris, Leakey, the major and Sybel as characters. As for the androids they needed work, but I guess they weren't fully functional hence they've gone berserk ( prototype stage).

I liked how Leakey to acted like he acquired the footage in a dangerous manner but got a exposed by Sybel in the end. This deserved a series though.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 16, 2018 7:35 AM

Mar 2016
I thought this was phenomenal. Really fluid, kinetic action scenes obviously designed with a purpose and intelligence, they kind of exploded onto the screen in short firefights before fading out only to go off again. The human characters move with personality and humor. A great use of tension meant there was never a dull moment in the run-time. Fantastic little OVA.
Jan 11, 2019 8:57 PM

Apr 2014
Overall, I enjoyed it. You can't really expect much out of a 48 minute OVA, so I was just hoping for some cool action and old school visuals. I got both, so I'm happy.
Jul 6, 2020 2:09 PM
Jul 2013
Had some good action and comedy moments but pretty mediocre overall.
Also, if the military had humanoid robots this advanced, less complex, civilian or industry grade should already be widespread.
Oct 4, 2020 8:47 PM
Oct 2017
Very fucking mediocre
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2022 3:30 AM

Oct 2017
It had some good moments but pretty meh overall
Jul 4, 2022 7:49 PM

Jul 2017
I had never heard Black Magic M-66 was very good, but I loved it! The action was great, and the comedy was funny. I really liked the character of both the reporter and the professor's granddaughter and their designs. The reporter is basically the character from Beyond Good and Evil. The beginning was a little bland, and that one scene where the hikers got killed had no background beyond the trees. That was not so great. Everything else was though!
Aug 12, 2022 3:03 AM
Feb 2022
What a surprise this short from 1987 OVA is, in roughly 40 minutes it is impressive how much charm this anime imbues.

Despite the animation lacking some frames, it is nevertheless ambitious in its presentation, some scene that were nice touches were Sybel sitting on the old couch and the M66-F6 walking through the underground water. The worms eye view angles.
I'd gone through ten other modern anime(some popular, some not) before randomly deciding to check this one out, and even with more modern tools and techniques not one came even close to accomplishing what M-66 has done.
Feb 16, 2023 12:27 PM

Aug 2017
Looking at the staff list I expected great animation and wasn't disappointed at all. One year before Akira! The attention to little details and gags was pleasing too.
Jun 4, 2023 4:08 PM

Apr 2023
The androids were pretty much the biggest highlight in the anime otherwise, everything just felt pretty inconsistent from its pacing to the quality of its story, this is something only hardcore gits fans can really enjoy.

Oct 7, 2023 12:50 AM

Oct 2010
Really enjoyed this, fun and impressive animation. Especially that elevator scene, that must have been a pain to animate!
Nov 1, 2023 5:18 AM

Oct 2018
A very impressive short piece from then 80s. I was expecting some sort of twist at the end with the robot but it was straight forward. Shirow Masamune is listed as a director too damn.
Mar 14, 3:44 PM

Aug 2023
Good salvaging of the Black Magic manga.
Apr 19, 3:53 PM

Aug 2017
Great OVA, the animation, especially the androids's fight scenes was smooth, also the camera changing in both the elevator scene and the hikers running scene were really cool, also the little details like Sybel's ring tan line were great, it had a nice ending,
I'll give it a 9, they really did a great job with a 45 min OVA than some 12 episodes animes, too bad it's not a series.
Oct 1, 1:57 PM
Sep 2024
It has good animation, good action scenes, but the plot is a bit confusing...
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.