Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2022 10:43 AM
Feb 2022
I completed this show a few days ago and I was thinking of watching Gurren Lagann before this but watched Franxx first instead. (I had already watched the OG EVA and Rebuild before this show)
I saw this in many reviews and on the comment section in crunchyroll that this show takes plot points from Gurren Lagann and EVA. (I could cleary point the EVA and Pacific Rim inspiration)
So have I been spoiled in some way that by watching Darling in the Franxx. Will I be able to predict the plot of Gurren Lagann.

Would love to hear your opinion without being spoiled in any way.
Sep 5, 2022 10:46 AM

Jan 2009
lol no gurren lagann is about power of belief theme and not make children theme
Sep 5, 2022 10:51 AM

Jun 2016
It's not so similar that you can predict one just by watching the other.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 5, 2022 11:09 AM

Aug 2020
No they're not that similar and it really doesn't matter in which order you watch them.
Sep 5, 2022 11:19 AM
May 2022
It’s about drills and caves
Sep 5, 2022 11:24 AM
Jun 2021
Jatin587 said:
I completed this show a few days ago and I was thinking of watching Gurren Lagann before this but watched Franxx first instead. (I had already watched the OG EVA and Rebuild before this show)
I saw this in many reviews and on the comment section in crunchyroll that this show takes plot points from Gurren Lagann and EVA. (I could cleary point the EVA and Pacific Rim inspiration)
So have I been spoiled in some way that by watching Darling in the Franxx. Will I be able to predict the plot of Gurren Lagann.

It has a similar arc structure and has mechs, thats about it.
Sep 5, 2022 12:13 PM

May 2022
SparCy said:
Jatin587 said:

well, you could say that overall story and world structure of all three mecha's are similar, and you probably already know what im talking about, by watching eva and franxx, and it is very very insignificant info to know about, so it wont spoil you anything, cuz by the right time, the thing that is happening will become obvious by itself.
and if you dont, then you have nothing to worry about for sure, since all three have pretty much different plots, to the point of having completely different messages and story centering.
Sep 5, 2022 12:14 PM

May 2022
XalekMe said:
SparCy said:

well, you could say that overall story and world structure of all three mecha's are similar, and you probably already know what im talking about, by watching eva and franxx, and it is very very insignificant info to know about, so it wont spoil you anything, cuz by the right time, the thing that is happening will become obvious by itself.
and if you dont, then you have nothing to worry about for sure, since all three have pretty much different plots, to the point of having completely different messages and story centering.

didnt mean to quote this comment, sry -_-
Sep 5, 2022 12:14 PM
Oct 2019
From my POV ur gonna predict what s gonna happen in TTGL just by watching others shounen animes. Its not that good, ull see, anyway have fun!
Sep 5, 2022 12:29 PM

Aug 2021
please dont compare gurren lagann with this garbage
Sep 5, 2022 12:30 PM

Aug 2021
E_Rampo said:
From my POV ur gonna predict what s gonna happen in TTGL just by watching others shounen animes. Its not that good, ull see, anyway have fun!

bruh its better than your entire anime list together
Sep 5, 2022 12:44 PM
Apr 2021
Nah tengan is much more idealistic and less horny.Id say better show than this overall
Sep 5, 2022 1:06 PM
Jan 2016
Jatin587 said:

No, Gurren Lagann is good and Franxx is shit
Pandas are almost as cute as you
Sep 5, 2022 1:11 PM
Jan 2022
gurren lagann is better
Sep 5, 2022 1:18 PM

May 2017
I also watched TTGL after Franxx (which I stopped caring about 3/4 in the arc) but despite that I loved it.
Even if you know the plot structure beforehand it won't matter much; in fact, the opening scene is a flashforward to the final battle.

What truly puts it in a league of its own compared to franxx is the fact the actually build up the story to make the "aliens were the real villain" plot twist make sense and it also develops the main cast.

Also, since you've seen Eva recently, you might appreciate the similarities between the series but with the complete opposite message. Eva is nihilistic and pessimistic, Gurren Lagann is idealistic and optimistic.
AlexPlayerSep 5, 2022 1:21 PM
Sep 5, 2022 1:20 PM
Jan 2021
None of the 3 are extremely similar. All genres can be taken out of context to match another anime. I feel like the people that think this is a Eva clone or Gurenn are really stupid. Plus, even if it’s inspired, that’s not a bad thing nor should it scorned at.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Sep 5, 2022 1:54 PM
Nov 2021
this show has nothing to do with either of those shows and they didn't take anything from those shows whoever told you that is brain dead
Sep 5, 2022 1:59 PM
Jun 2020
Gurren Lagann actually shares some plot stuff but it’s much better. Please watch it
Sep 5, 2022 2:35 PM

Apr 2022
Jatin587 said:

why all of your favorite characters are man?
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Sep 5, 2022 4:24 PM
Sep 2021
Franxx is just trash, don't try to compare with TTGL, it's masterpiece🔥 Of course franxx is inspired of Eva and TTGL, but you can't predict TTGL by watching this trash shit, watch TTGL, you'll understand👌
Sep 5, 2022 4:30 PM

Feb 2021
Gurren Lagann is the pinnacle of mecha. That being said, I don't actually watch much mecha. Either way, you should definitely give it a shot
Sep 5, 2022 5:46 PM
Sep 2013
The plots aren't really similar at all, they're just both mecha shows in kind of post-apocalyptic settings. Gurren Lagann has one if the most large-scale, emotional and hype stories I've seen in an action show, Franxx had... more romance, I guess?
Sep 5, 2022 6:56 PM

Jul 2021
Jatin587 said:

im gonna be honest, for me personally watching gurren lagann felt like a very predictable experience once i had watched a few episodes. i had high hopes that it'd take the excellent artstyle some place meaningful but instead for me it ended up a waste of time.

felt like the "just do it" commercial of anime. if that's your thing, cool, but it's not really mine.

others think it's a masterpiece though, so might as well give it a shot, right? anyways gurren lagann is at least closer to kill la kill than darling in the franxx, but that's about the highest praise i can give it lol.

when i watched i was like... never been this disappointed since s1 of code geass lmao. like code geass s1, the openings and endings get you so hype for thinking it could be ur new fav but then the show itself is either too predictable or too reserved in it's writing.

naturally the art is fucking amazing but that goes for most anime honestly. i'd literally rather watch Ninja Slayer The Animation than Gurren Lagann though. that's some real good Trigger shit 😭
-- art-house/psychological/stylish/philosophical anime enjoyer with yuri bias and the attention span of a smol-antlered creature --
Sep 5, 2022 7:15 PM
Jun 2022
you can't predict a shit in gurren lagann at all. 😂😂 just go watch it.
Sep 5, 2022 7:42 PM
Jun 2021
Is there any chance to get a new season or a reboot ....
Sep 5, 2022 9:16 PM
Jun 2020
It’s kinda disrespectful of you to compare this trash to EVA and Gurren Lagann XD
The plots are definitely similar but it’s not going to let u just predict the ending.
Sep 5, 2022 9:28 PM

Jul 2022
Gurren Laggan is a predictable trash. Haven't watched DiTF but if they are similar i won't rec watching DiTF, since i don't want you to experience another garbage.
Sep 5, 2022 9:33 PM
Jul 2021
Jatin587 said:

nah Gurren Lagann is different than Darling. Yes you can find some similar scenes there, but its more similar to Eva than to GL
Sep 5, 2022 9:36 PM

Jul 2022
Emptymap said:
Gurren Lagann is the pinnacle of mecha. That being said, I don't actually watch much mecha. Either way, you should definitely give it a shot

>Pinnacle of mecha

Never watched Gundam, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo and other 70s and 80s mecha. Gurren Laggan is cheap Getter Robo rip off and sucks ass.

Stop throwing words like "pinnacle" when you don't have much experience with that genre.
Sep 5, 2022 10:50 PM
Feb 2022
Usapz said:
Jatin587 said:

There is nothing wrong with that, and You are really getting the wrong idea here bro. There are tons of users on Mal who have all of their favs as males and are not who you think they are. I don't have an issue with anyone's fav characters or their personal preferences, and also I may be wrong regarding the context of your comment. Just replying as this is the first time I have seen someone say this.
Jatin587Sep 6, 2022 3:18 AM
Sep 6, 2022 12:35 AM

May 2021
Gurren lagann is something like no other,u wont find anything like that in the entire medium.
ps:i aint claiming that u'll like it
Sep 6, 2022 12:53 AM
Feb 2022
AlexPlayer said:
I also watched TTGL after Franxx (which I stopped caring about 3/4 in the arc) but despite that I loved it.
Even if you know the plot structure beforehand it won't matter much; in fact, the opening scene is a flashforward to the final battle.

What truly puts it in a league of its own compared to franxx is the fact the actually build up the story to make the "aliens were the real villain" plot twist make sense and it also develops the main cast.

Also, since you've seen Eva recently, you might appreciate the similarities between the series but with the complete opposite message. Eva is nihilistic and pessimistic, Gurren Lagann is idealistic and optimistic.

Bro you just spoiled me with that "Alien" part. You could have marked that part as spoiler.
Though I do agree with your Eva's nihilistic and pessimistic approach especially in The end of Eva. Anno corrected that approach in the rebuild movies. They showed hope, beleif and optimism. Basically they just reflected Anno's state of mind at the time of their respective making.
Sep 6, 2022 1:11 AM

May 2017
Jatin587 said:
AlexPlayer said:

Bro you just spoiled me with that "Alien" part. You could have marked that part as spoiler.
Though I do agree with your Eva's nihilistic and pessimistic approach especially in The end of Eva. Anno corrected that approach in the rebuild movies. They showed hope, beleif and optimism. Basically they just reflected Anno's state of mind at the time of their respective making.

I didn't consider a spoiler because it's in literally the first scene of the first episode. What happens in Franxx is what happens in TTGL but without the build-up and foreshadowing. I won't elaborate how TTGL makes that twist make perfect sense within the story because THAT is a spoiler.
Sep 6, 2022 2:19 AM

May 2022
VitorP1914 said:
E_Rampo said:

bruh its better than your entire anime list together

nah man, just the fact that you rated ttgl a 10, but evangelion and code geass a 5 is enough for me to understand that you havent yet undergone puberty and arent ready for these kind of shows at the time. do mind that I'm not talking about age, you may even be older than me, doesnt matter.
the person you quoted simply expressed their opinion, you on the contrary started talking shit about their list, while protecting your favourite. not so cool
Sep 6, 2022 2:20 AM

May 2022
Usapz said:
Jatin587 said:

whats wrong with that, lol?
Sep 6, 2022 2:30 AM

Jul 2022
KP_SENSEI said:
Gurren lagann is something like no other,u wont find anything like that in the entire medium.

>u wont find anything like that in the entire medium.

Never watched Getter Robo.ttgl is poor man's Getter Robo. Stop spreading non sense without exploring the whole medium, come when you have done watching all mecha.

@TheMechaManiac teach these redditor what is true mecha.
Sep 6, 2022 2:31 AM

May 2021
TheMansWorld said:
KP_SENSEI said:

Never watched Getter Robo.ttgl is poor man's Getter Robo. Stop spreading non sense without exploring the whole medium, come when you have done watching all mecha.

U havent even watched more shit than me bro
Sep 6, 2022 2:33 AM

Jul 2022
KP_SENSEI said:
TheMansWorld said:

U havent even watched more shit than me bro
But i still know ttgl is poor man's getter robo, and not making stupid claims like you "muh won't find in whole medium blahhhh..."
Sep 6, 2022 2:36 AM

May 2021
You must be a hilarious guy in real life,lol
Sep 6, 2022 2:36 AM
Jun 2021
KP_SENSEI said:

Watch more mecha, ya noob.
Start with Getter Robo Armageddon to see where Imaishi cribbed from.
Then Kidou Senshi Gundam and Densetsu Kyoujin Ideon to see where Anno has cribbed from since I bet you also coom to Evanjelly Donuts girls.
I used to be similar to you. But then I got enlightened that Gainax is nothing but a bunch of omages after omage.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 6, 2022 2:37 AM

May 2021
TheMechaManiac said:
KP_SENSEI said:

Then Kidou Senshi Gundam and Densetsu Kyoujin Ideon to see where Anno has cribbed from since I bet you also coom to Evanjelly Donuts girls.
I used to be similar to you. But then I got enlightened that Gainax is nothing but a bunch of omages after omage.

nah,i've got a life to live,unlike u
Sep 6, 2022 2:43 AM

Jul 2022
KP_SENSEI said:
You must be a hilarious guy in real life,lol
And you must be a pleb who likes to throw buzzwords
Sep 6, 2022 3:11 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think so. Gurren Lagann has a quite different story - yes, they're a bit similar to each other but I doubt you will be able to predict what could happen.
Sep 6, 2022 7:27 AM
May 2022
Jatin587 said:

Gurren Lagann and Franxx are world aparts, literally. There are only a few similarities but Gurren Lagann is an action adventure based anime while Franxx has no action.

Similarities :
Mechs, Super big mechs, Sci fi

Differences ( Mainly Gurren Lagann cause you already watched Franxx) :

Action
adventure
Manliness
Brotherhood
Pure manlihood
Drills (Lots of)
Freedom
and so on, you get the point
I can bet you all my wealth you won't be able to predict any plot. I have watched over +1000hrs of anime, Gurren Lagann was among my official firsts ( Not sure if Yu Gi Oh and avatar count but if they do TPGL was my 3rd anime) , and there is no over anime like Gurren Lagann
Sep 6, 2022 7:47 AM
Jun 2021
KP_SENSEI said:
TheMechaManiac said:

nah,i've got a life to live,unlike u

>throws nonsensical buzzwords around
yeah, plebbitor detected
touch grass
Hot Blood saves lives.
Sep 6, 2022 2:09 PM

Apr 2022
Jatin587 said:
Usapz said:

There is nothing wrong with that, and You are really getting the wrong idea here bro. There are tons of users on Mal who have all of their favs as males and are not who you think they are. I don't have an issue with anyone's fav characters or their personal preferences, and also I may be wrong regarding the context of your comment. Just replying as this is the first time I have seen someone say this.

I just wanted to ask :( I didn't want to offense you. Sorry.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Sep 6, 2022 2:12 PM

Apr 2022
XalekMe said:
Usapz said:

whats wrong with that, lol?

Idk, I just wanted to ask.
Sep 6, 2022 2:55 PM
Feb 2022
Usapz said:
Jatin587 said:

I just wanted to ask :( I didn't want to offense you. Sorry.

It's Fine bro. No problem at all :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

345 by Modek69 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2018

1502 by imsevlol »»
Oct 4, 6:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

367 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

647 by cloudalpha »»
Sep 30, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

363 by 143eitasasaki »»
Sep 21, 10:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.