Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 9, 2022 12:41 PM
Apr 2020
Finally all three novels have been added to the MAL database! Question though, the novel of MDZS is listed as being 4 volumes long, which it is in Chinese print. However the English version will be 5 volumes and TGCF will be 8 volumes even. Will MAL adhere to the original Chinese number of volumes or to the English translation? Is this even a thing with other manhua/manwha where there is a difference in total length of the work due to translation?
May 9, 2022 1:16 PM

Jan 2017
Blue_Envy1598 said:
Will MAL adhere to the original Chinese number of volumes or to the English translation? Is this even a thing with other manhua/manwha where there is a difference in total length of the work due to translation?

MAL always use the count of the original professionally published version in the country of origin , so it'll stays as 4 Volumes no matter what happens.

As for the difference in lenght due to translation , i know that Monogatari Series : First Season got 1 more Volume in English because the publisher splitted Bake into 3 Volumes instead of the original 2.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Dec 26, 2022 12:22 AM
Jan 2018
Ok well that's dumb. This is an english website and should follow the amount of volumes of the english version.
Dec 26, 2022 1:51 AM

Jan 2017
Evil_Narwhal said:
Ok well that's dumb. This is an english website and should follow the amount of volumes of the english version.

Not really.

How would you handle the numerous work who aren't available in English in this case ?
The easiest would then be to handle those in Japanese (Or Chinese/Korean) , and the rest in English , but then there would be a huge inconsistency in the database.
So for consistency , MAL always use the original profesionnal publication.

Also , MAL is owned by Japanese companies , so it is not an English site at 100%.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Feb 1, 2023 1:19 PM

Nov 2013
Evil_Narwhal said:
English website, documenting non-english works. It's obvious which format should get priority.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 1, 2023 6:04 AM
Sep 2015
"The original novel by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu was first serialized on the Chinese web novel site JJWXC. Not including the prologue, the main novel is comprised of 113 chapters that can be divided into twenty-three arcs, each of which is two to eleven chapters long. Seven additional "extra" side stories were released between 2016 and 2018."

The wrong number of chapters here on MAL annoys me. In my opinion, they should indicate that the novel has 113 chapters and 7 extra chapters OR combine them into one and state that the novel has 120 chapters together. It doesn't make any sense right now...
Aug 1, 2023 6:36 AM

Jan 2017
Doriss said:
The wrong number of chapters here on MAL annoys me. In my opinion, they should indicate that the novel has 113 chapters and 7 extra chapters OR combine them into one and state that the novel has 120 chapters together. It doesn't make any sense right now...

The count is not wrong , you are just not looking at the good version of the Novel.

The 120 Chapters you are talking about are for the Webnovel.
Webnovels are amateur works , and thus , aren't allowed on MAL's database.
This entry represents the professionnal publication of the Novel in book format , which recompiled the chapters into longer ones.

Since this entry doesn't represent what you think it is , it seems as if there is no sense to the count , but there is.
You will find the same case for a good number of (Light) Novels.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.

More topics from this board

» Doubt about The extra volume.

Vivian_Lira666 - Mar 11, 2023

1 by Alexioos95 »»
Mar 11, 2023 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.