Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 7, 2009 1:19 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, first one just aired thru Halo waypoint.
Well, I think I liked it! Though I kinda hoped for a japanese audio + english subs... XD
The animation was well done, the drawing style was fairly decent, to please both anime fans and ordinary halo fans that are probably not used to the mainstream japanese art style (big eyes... lol)

The secret about the spartan at the end was quite a shock...
i bet that was the reason why she didn't speak? lol

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
ShockedJan 21, 2017 3:19 PM

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Nov 7, 2009 1:34 AM
Sep 2009
I thought it was pretty good. I would've liked it to be longer. Now I'm definitely looking forward to the other 2 episodes that are being done by Studio 4C. Origins 1 and 2.
Nov 7, 2009 2:31 AM

Sep 2009
It felt a little clique, though... But I did like it, and I'll probably buy the OVA once it's released.
Nov 7, 2009 3:42 AM

Apr 2008
The Spartan was a chick. I totally called it. XD

But, anyway. I absolutely loved it. <3
The animation was great, and the fight sequences... just WOAH. :o
I am SO looking forward to the rest of the episodes.
Nov 7, 2009 5:30 AM

Mar 2009
No OP or ED. WTF?! But the ep was pretty good. I just don't like the eng dubb though.

!Damn, im HOT today! :D!
Nov 7, 2009 5:54 AM

Oct 2009
I enjoyed it, hope the other shorts are up to the same standard.
Nov 7, 2009 7:21 AM

Oct 2008
That was fucking awesome.
Nov 7, 2009 8:18 AM
Jun 2009
That was amazing.

Shame they're only showing 4 episodes on Waypoint, the rest are on DVD (which we have to buy ;-;)
Nov 7, 2009 8:25 AM

Oct 2008
It was nice, I thought it would be worst.
Nov 7, 2009 10:11 AM
Aug 2009
It was aright for a 1st episode, prob be better without the horrible dub though.
Nov 7, 2009 10:17 AM
Sep 2009
the dub was fine. I don't like dubs either, but I will say I've heard worse.
Nov 7, 2009 11:43 AM

Apr 2007
Chick spartan caught me off guard.
Nov 7, 2009 6:15 PM

Mar 2008
This was really good. Way better than "Have I Got a Story For You" from Gotham Knight.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 8, 2009 1:20 AM

Jul 2007
ShadowAlex said:
This was really good. Way better than "Have I Got a Story For You" from Gotham Knight.
I liked all of the Gotham Knight shorts.

This first episode was awesome. It brought new life into the Halo universe. It also showed a different side of the Spartans. Yes, they are huge fighting machines, but they are still people. Awesome episode and I can not wait for the next.
Nov 8, 2009 2:29 AM

Oct 2008
OJustSumGuy said:
I saw it on youtube. I've never played Halo, but I thought this was actually pretty good. I completely lol'd at some of the comments though:

"Why did it have to be an anime?"

"Ugh, those buildings are Japanese. This sucks."

"Western video game and eastern animation don't belong together."

"I hate the wapanese culture they put in this they don't eat gourmet shit like the stuff they ate. "

A lot of those anti anime people couldn't take this was a non canon series I suppose.

Unfortunately you're mentioning the ramblings of people from youtube. They apparently must have missed the part where Microsoft has complete quality control over the series while it was being produced. If they didn't like it, and it didn't fit the plot, then it wouldn't have went through.
Nov 8, 2009 2:31 AM

Apr 2009
It was okay, I guess. I don't have a huge knowledge of the Halo franchise though.
Nov 8, 2009 3:57 PM
Mar 2009
i was wondering where can i get this dont want youtube and dont have a xbox ???
Nov 8, 2009 4:07 PM

Mar 2008
well then your only other option is to wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray in February.
Nov 9, 2009 3:04 PM

Sep 2007
EvolutionxUKx said:
It was aright for a 1st episode, prob be better without the horrible dub though.
xNovice said:
the dub was fine. I don't like dubs either, but I will say I've heard worse.
Really, guys? Dubbing is not a synonym for English.
Nov 9, 2009 3:17 PM

Jan 2008
One thing I loved was that the English wasn't done in the usual manner. Perhaps because it wasn't made to be in Japanese first? Either way, the sentences weren't too fast, and weren't littered with unnecessary words, which they do to maintain lip-sync.

For Halo, I absolutely loved it. However, the Anime critic in me yelled, "This was so short and bland."
Nov 9, 2009 8:59 PM

Jul 2007
GuardianHX said:
One thing I loved was that the English wasn't done in the usual manner. Perhaps because it wasn't made to be in Japanese first? Either way, the sentences weren't too fast, and weren't littered with unnecessary words, which they do to maintain lip-sync.

For Halo, I absolutely loved it. However, the Anime critic in me yelled, "This was so short and bland."

True , the voices were absolutely fine ... so many people who watch anime just hate english dub overs, they won't even watch an anime episode thats dub. Well I know that SOME animes have HORRIBLE dubs, but isn't it a bit extreme hating all dubs?
Nov 9, 2009 10:01 PM

Aug 2007
Whoa is all I really have to say. It could have been longer, but that was really good. That was told really great. I really can't wait for the next one to come out, if they keep doing what they did for this ep then I will not be disappointed.
Nov 10, 2009 12:13 AM
Jun 2009
sebg said:
i was wondering where can i get this dont want youtube and dont have a xbox ???

The quality is pretty bad, but you can get it from tokyotosho.

I though the short was okay. Voice acting was decent.
Nov 10, 2009 6:21 AM
Jun 2009
It wasn't that bad for a dub, to be honest I think it suits this Anime more, mainly because it's based off a western game.
Nov 10, 2009 8:23 AM

Sep 2009
liamoflegends said:
It wasn't that bad for a dub, to be honest I think it suits this Anime more, mainly because it's based off a western game.

You've got a point.

I'll just watch the four ones that'll come up on waypoint, and then just wait for the DVD, which will probably feature both dubs.
Nov 10, 2009 3:41 PM

Mar 2008
liamoflegends said:

It's not a dub. The English audio is the original soundtrack to it, dubbing is to change the language which this is not.
Nov 11, 2009 1:11 AM

Dec 2008
ShadowAlex said:
liamoflegends said:

It's not a dub. The English audio is the original soundtrack to it, dubbing is to change the language which this is not.

Yeah even though this is an anime, microsoft/bungie were in full control over the project and went to the japanese for help with the animation and that was it. They never intended for this to be put as a Japanese audio and then go over and dub it to english.

And as for the story it was pretty good. Saw a couple of spots where the Spartan looked like a 400 pound person but nothing other than that was off to me. The voice acting was okay, not great. And I cant wait for the others. Espcially 'Bones' episode. =D
Nov 11, 2009 4:39 AM

Sep 2009
look up torrents :)
this episode was pretty awesome imo
awesome fight scene
xD
good amount of blood and i like the storyline
and i dont mind the voices :D

Nov 12, 2009 6:12 AM

Aug 2008
Now really people. Compaining about the dub? There was never a Japanese track in the first place, this was created for an English speaking audience that just happenned to be animated by Japanese animation companies. Then again, the voice acting wasn't exactly stellar quality either. Not understading Japanese can be a blessing in disguise sometimes because it's much harder to pick out shitty voice acting when you can't actually understand what they're saying.
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Nov 12, 2009 5:39 PM

Jul 2008
wow, that was really good, great start for a new series. good animation too
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Nov 12, 2009 8:28 PM

Sep 2009
It was ok but since its a first episode you can't really measure the series by it. The voices seemed to suit the characters to me personally.
Nov 14, 2009 7:22 PM

Aug 2008
Haylias said:
It was okay, I guess. I don't have a huge knowledge of the Halo franchise though.

I don't have much either.

I was epecting it to be a little better, it wasn't bad but had potential to be much better.
Looking forward the others though.
Nov 15, 2009 11:43 AM

Jul 2009
awesome episodes

dont have good knowledge of halo but it was very good
Nov 16, 2009 4:18 AM
Apr 2008
Hm... I can't say I loved it though... I'm a big Halo franchise fan...

I don't really have to say anything but I'd only point out that the spartan in this episode was "Bulky`ish", right?
for a chick spartan... she had massive upper body build... :D well it did good as an anime that i'd point out...

looking forward for more...
Nov 16, 2009 2:11 PM
Aug 2009
Will anyone show me where I can find the new episodes in GOOD quality?

The torrent sites I know have poop.
Nov 16, 2009 2:53 PM

Apr 2008
^ You will have to wait for the DVD release for that...

I liked it... That's all u are hearing from me.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise"
Nov 17, 2009 12:15 AM

Aug 2009
I rather have chief speak English than Japanese. Anyone know when the next episode is up?
Nov 17, 2009 12:25 AM

Jul 2009
i was really surprised by it. I thought is was going to be bad but i cant wait to see the rest

Nov 17, 2009 7:10 PM

Apr 2008
SoFarGone said:
I rather have chief speak English than Japanese. Anyone know when the next episode is up?

The next episode will be available via Waypoint this saturday. :)
There's a little preview up for it already, actually. Looks like we're in for samurai Elites, and a really odd art style. :|
Nov 19, 2009 2:21 AM

Aug 2009
Sucks that the episode that's by BONES is going to be dvd only.
Nov 21, 2009 4:27 PM
Jan 2008
I really hope that Spartan was not Master Chief/117 and was instead some other Spartan. I'm okay with unmasking a random Spartan and her being a girl, but 117 can be neither of those. I guess if it was the Chief than Microsoft would never have allowed the unmasking.
Nov 25, 2009 2:28 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I throughly enjoyed it! I didn't even expect for the Spartan to be human let alone a woman!

I'm definitely going to watch this again in higher quality when it comes out. From what I saw it looks really well done.

edit:
Watched it again with much better quality. I'm so glad I did. The animation was really really good.
NaruleachFeb 26, 2010 12:58 AM
p r o f i l e 👀
Nov 27, 2009 12:22 PM

Mar 2009
liamoflegends said:
That was amazing.

Shame they're only showing 4 episodes on Waypoint, the rest are on DVD (which we have to buy ;-;)

Well, if all the episodes are going to be this good, it'll be worth the $13 for the DVD.
Dec 16, 2009 5:42 PM

Jul 2009
The episode was WAY TOO SHORT, but i wasn't expecting anything else different. Animation was overall descent, i just didn't like the character design. The main character is disturbingly reminiscent of Spike from cowboy bebop :S
Dec 28, 2009 6:09 AM

Apr 2009
SEACATS said:
OJustSumGuy said:
I saw it on youtube. I've never played Halo, but I thought this was actually pretty good. I completely lol'd at some of the comments though:

"Why did it have to be an anime?"

"Ugh, those buildings are Japanese. This sucks."

"Western video game and eastern animation don't belong together."

"I hate the wapanese culture they put in this they don't eat gourmet shit like the stuff they ate. "

A lot of those anti anime people couldn't take this was a non canon series I suppose.

Unfortunately you're mentioning the ramblings of people from youtube. They apparently must have missed the part where Microsoft has complete quality control over the series while it was being produced. If they didn't like it, and it didn't fit the plot, then it wouldn't have went through.

Who takes YouTube comments seriously...
Jan 7, 2010 2:59 PM

Feb 2009
stpiio said:
The episode was WAY TOO SHORT, but i wasn't expecting anything else different. Animation was overall descent,

Agreed.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jan 7, 2010 3:00 PM

Jan 2010
The one thing that confused me was the hair. How can she put that much hair in her helmet?
Jan 19, 2010 3:24 AM

Jan 2010
As a big Halo player I wasn't expecting much, but it was a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to more.
Feb 6, 2010 9:26 AM

May 2009
i think it would be wrong for a western adaption to be spoken in japanese, think of spiderman with a japanese voice , it would be wrong lol.

the same with japanese animation it just wrong to hear it in dub when it created in the east.

you just watch something in its orginal form to see its greatness to the fullest.

sometimes there are expections where the dub is better, fma and dbz for example.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Feb 18, 2010 7:47 PM

Mar 2007
Ziarra said:
No OP or ED. WTF?! But the ep was pretty good. I just don't like the eng dubb though.

Hahaa... weaboo

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 2" Discussion

zvuc - Nov 21, 2009

33 by i_gkz »»
Sep 13, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 8 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Feb 4, 2010

15 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 7 Discussion

kage-bunshin - Feb 4, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 3:54 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 6 Discussion

adamh89 - Jan 18, 2010

14 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 3:04 PM

Poll: » Halo Legends Episode 5 Discussion

TVV - Jan 9, 2010

12 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 9, 2023 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.