Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2019 1:58 PM

Jul 2017
our first topic of the week

oneirism draws emphasis on the dream-like depiction of 'reality'
the depiction can be either direct or indirect (through the metaphorical utilization of a dream, hallucinations, otherworldly essence and so)
As in films, oneirism is often used as a conceptual device to carry out Freudian /non-Freudian analytical frameworks to explore the state of being a witness to a dream. It draws dinstiction between the possible (what is factual) and what isn't (manifestation of imagination)

Some correlated cinematic elements would be surrealism and magical realism

oneiric anime

oneiric films

above are just a few of my personal favorites that are also decently known
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 7, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2018
The only one of those non-anime films I've seen is Pastoral, and I love how it uses these oneiric elements to create such a carnivalesque portrayal of adolescence and nostalgia. A couple of other films I think can probably be described as oneiric:

Lynch's 'Mulholland Drive'
- the whole first act is essentially a dream, a representation of idealised ambitions and a representation of resentment towards the Hollywood system through fabrication of grand conspiracies

Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Shut'
- adapted from the novel literally titled 'Traumnovelle' ('Dream Story'), with Tom Cruise's dreamlike odyssey through New York. It's ambiguous whether Cruise opens his eyes at the end of the film or if he closes them even further, with reality and dreams continually pervading each other throughout the film.
Oct 10, 2019 3:13 PM

Jul 2014
This'll seem like an odd recommendation, but Rob Zombie's Halloween II utilizes oneiric/magical realist elements as a means of externalizing the trauma of its protagonist as well as exploring the Michael Myers' character. It gets a lot of flak but I honestly think it's worth a look.

Take care of yourself

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» it's December (~ ̄▽ ̄)~ what movies have you watched recently?

MAYOIII - Dec 4, 2019

4 by MAYOIII »»
Dec 11, 2019 10:19 AM

» film discussion: Parasite (2019)

MAYOIII - Nov 18, 2019

1 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Nov 24, 2019 12:21 PM

» discord server

MAYOIII - Nov 17, 2019

0 by MAYOIII »»
Nov 17, 2019 10:22 AM

» what was the last movie you watched?

MAYOIII - Sep 27, 2019

4 by deafnote »»
Nov 5, 2019 8:11 PM

» new member introduction

MAYOIII - Sep 24, 2019

5 by CosmicRobo »»
Nov 5, 2019 7:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.