Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 8, 2019 1:28 AM

Nov 2007
We all know that Kumiko doesn't love him. Her cold piercing eyes, her uninterested responses and her 'Geh"s have shaped her relationship with him.

Can he live without Kumiko's love? Why not we love this poor soul in Kumiko's stead? But, more importantly, does he really need our love though?

Well, apparently he is getting plenty of love from the Kitauji Quartet! All of their seiyuu meets bar one have been "Shuuichi this!" and "Shuuichi that!".

The very first one, which was released before Todoketai Melody, ended up becoming listing all the good points of Shuuichi.

The third one (the second of the Roke! Euphonium series, part of Chikai no Finale promo) nonchalantly brought Shuuichi up on how adorable he was shouting from the other end that he wanted to improve as well along with the fist bump of the first key visual.

The fourth one (the third of the Roke! Euphonium series) became a fist bump mania in front of the bench of the first key visual.

The fifth one (the fourth and the final of the Roke! Euphonium series) was spent on the bakery (pan) store which has a specialty bread named after the boy himself (the one we see Shuuichi eating before boarding the train) and ending with the Shuuichi x Kumiko key visual promo for Chikai no Finale.

Looks like KyoAni is actually following up on Shuuichi's popularity in Japan. Hmm.
shanimebibFeb 8, 2019 1:44 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 16, 2019 11:06 AM
Feb 2018
Who?

I can't remember irrelevant characters, sorry.
Feb 28, 2019 8:17 AM
Aug 2015
Shuuichi is definitely the best character of Hibike! Euphonium. I'm glad that he's a popular character in Japan but I'm sad KyoAni didn't treat him well in the anime and waste so much time with their stupid yuri ship.

Irrelevant character? He's always got useful information, and he's the one who asked Mamiko to come to see their performance.

I hope this new movie will let Shuuichi shine. Love or friendship, I don't care, I just hope they'll emphasize Kumiko and Shuuichi's relation.
Mar 8, 2019 6:29 PM

Nov 2007
@lKuroi, no worries. He won't remain irrelevant after Chikai no Finale.

@Kirie-san

The Roke! Euphonium continuation with a two-parter interview of the director Ishihara more or less confirmed Shuuichi to be the main character of Chikai no Finale (if the fist bump key visual wasn't enough). And...

Coronavirus.
Mar 10, 2019 5:43 AM
Aug 2015
shanimebib said:

@Kirie-san

The Roke! Euphonium continuation with a two-parter interview of the director Ishihara more or less confirmed Shuuichi to be the main character of Chikai no Finale (if the fist bump key visual wasn't enough). And...

Thank you very much for this information! ^^
Apr 8, 2019 8:16 PM

Nov 2007
Kirie-san said:
shanimebib said:

@Kirie-san

Thank you very much for this information! ^^

Newtype May 2019 issue features Kumiko on the cover!

She is wearing a certain flower shaped hairpin. Was it because a certain someone going around telling people that they gave it to her so she didn't have other options but to wear it? Haha!

Thought it might interest you!

Also, two bonus portraits drawn by Hibike! Anime Character Designer Ikeda Shoko (池田晶子) is driving ShuKumi fans in Japan nuts. :P

Coronavirus.
Apr 11, 2019 8:44 AM
Aug 2015
@shanimebib: That hairpin!! She's wearing it!! Now I shouldn't worry about Shuuichi's role in this new movie lol
Thanks again!! xD

I saw the second pic on Twitter, I was like "OMG! They really draw Kumiko and Shuuichi together, and with a pink heart in the back!". The other pics are cute too. ^^

Do you know if the movie will have screenings in other countries than Japan? I would be happy if it could come out in France but they decided to release Liz and the Blue Bird instead... =/
Apr 11, 2019 10:08 AM

Nov 2007
Kirie-san said:
Do you know if the movie will have screenings in other countries than Japan? I would be happy if it could come out in France but they decided to release Liz and the Blue Bird instead... =/

Right now there has not been any announcement for outside Japan. Dunno if you have seen it already but Liz to Aoi Tori is a masterpiece in my book actually.

Also, Year 3 Novel Vol. 1 cover features Kumiko, Kanade, a new girl (Kuroe Mayu (I guessed her name as there is no Kana) Year 3, Seira Girls High Transferee to Kitauji), Reina and Shuuichi. No one believed me when I said Shuuichi will become an important character down the line because he was listed as one of the four main characters in the official novel page even during the airing of the first season which was revamped during the anime aired. He will play the role of not just a love interest but something more than that which makes me happier. I would rather see him as an important character than a character of just love interest/ pity. Haters gonna hate but he is definitely going to ride the storm. Not that it matters though because fans in Japan love him and his popularity hit another level when his VA Ishiya Haruki revealed that he has mastered playing trombone by practicing it every week for the past three years IRL! That's how passionate he has been with his role as Shuuichi.

If you are being a logical and coherent person with reasoning, there is no reason for you to hate his character. Mochizou from Tamako Market got the hate as well. But he rode the storm and fans didn't find excuses to hate him after his character was explored through TLS. TLS remains one of my all time fave romance stories. But I doubt Chikai no Finale will go that route. Ultimately, Hibike! Euphonium is about music, forming bonds and a story of improving oneself. It should not move away from those things, generally speaking.
Coronavirus.
Apr 11, 2019 2:49 PM
Aug 2015
@shanimebib: Ok thank you =)
I haven't seen Liz and the Blue Bird and I won't see it for many reasons:
- I found the focus on Mizore and Nozomi really annoying in season 2,
- I don't like the art in Liz and the Blue Bird (people may say it's beautiful but the chara-design is too simplistic and I don't like it)
- I've read some reviews and people who didn't like it said it was annoying, too long for that kind of movie, it only focuses on Mizore and Nozomi and their friendship and I'm really not interested in it.

Yeah, I've seen the cover of the new volume with Shuuichi and Reina in the back. You were right about Shuuichi but can we really blame the people who didn't believe you? After all in the anime they didn't emphasize his character much except at the start of season 1 and the end of season 2. Of course if you've have said that about the novel I think they would have believe you but the anime didn't go that way unfortunately.
But I'm really happy to read your comment since it seems he'll play a big role in this movie. As I said previously it's not necessary to have a romance even if I'm glad to know that maybe Kumiko will respond to his feeling, but knowing his role will be more than that is really great. He's my favorite character from the start. He was always there to give good information, thanks to him Mamiko came to see them play... I'm also really glad to learn that people on Japan like his character! But I didn't know that about his VA, that's really amazing!

I don't hate Shuuichi, as I said he's my favorite character of the show. ^^
I haven't seen Tamako Market nor TLS but I saw that many people didn't like the main boy... Poor him...
Yes, Hibike is about music, improving one self, forming bonds (although I wasn't satisfied with that point because of the focus on Kumiko and Reina that was "hiding" the other bonds).

Thank you very much for sharing this informations. I hope I won't wait long before watching Chikai no Finale. And maybe I'll buy the English version of the novel to know the real story.
Apr 12, 2019 10:51 PM
May 2009
The show did him super dirty all because of some "adolescence" gimmick, and he was constantly made to look like a fool, irrelevant, and cockblocked because of it. And I really don't like it when shows pick on people for no good reason.

Not that I really care about him, because by season 2 the cast got bloated (and it just seems like it will get even bloated) but the damage has been done, and throwing a bone to him is nice, but that's about it. Gotta feel sorry for him a bit.
Archon_WingApr 12, 2019 10:54 PM
Apr 13, 2019 7:07 PM
Apr 2010
@shanimebib Hi. Just wondering if you have read the Hibike novels in Japanese?

Because in the novel

Apr 13, 2019 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
@kevin54353

Coronavirus.
Apr 13, 2019 7:44 PM
Apr 2010
@shanimebib Reading this could ruin your enjoyment for the upcoming movie haha.

Apr 13, 2019 8:46 PM

Nov 2007
cheesukun said:

Oh no~ How could you ruin it for me?!

Coronavirus.
Apr 13, 2019 9:23 PM
Apr 2010
@shanimebib

cheesukunApr 13, 2019 9:38 PM
Apr 13, 2019 10:21 PM

Jul 2017
cheesukun said:

Shiiiit is that really how it goes. Damn that sucks but I guess it's debatable how reasonable her actions were and whatnot.

My niga Shuuichi mega deserves more attention
Apr 14, 2019 12:14 AM

Nov 2007
cheesukun said:
@shanimebib

I meant to say epilogue instead of prologue. I hope you got that lol.

I still haven't forgiven the fans who demeaned Shuuichi for acting a bit arrogant. What do they want? Shuuichi to be Mr. Perfect? That's not how Hibike! characters are and that's why I love the story, because it is relatable.

People tend to think otherwise when they stumble upon my comments. Kumiko x Shuuichi is just a bonus for me. As his fan, I just want to see him given a proper role. Just being her potential love interest isn't enough for me.
shanimebibApr 14, 2019 5:33 AM
Coronavirus.
Apr 14, 2019 10:03 AM
Apr 2010
@shanimebib

Wow, you really describe the relationship between Kumiko and Shuuichi so well. You have talent in words, which I don't have. Props to you!

cheesukunApr 14, 2019 10:08 AM
Apr 14, 2019 11:18 AM

Nov 2007
Just to be clear, I like both versions of the story. So, I guess I will be alright with whatever they intend to do with the franchise. The only time I did not allow kyoani to get away with a murder was for Phantom World. :P
Coronavirus.
Apr 14, 2019 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
Making Shuuichi relevant again like the novel would draw polarising response from the fans, but should be fun to see the reactions.
Apr 17, 2019 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Digitalexile said:
Making Shuuichi relevant again like the novel would draw polarising response from the fans, but should be fun to see the reactions.

Anything that angers yuri fans is enough to make me interested. I might soldier through S2 now.
Apr 18, 2019 8:11 PM
May 2016
he'll get a pity fist bump from kumiko to help cope with being ntr'd by reina, that's enough, right?
ShiroanonApr 18, 2019 8:16 PM
Apr 18, 2019 8:27 PM

May 2016
More Euphonium is always welcome in my book, even though S2's ending was literally perfect.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Apr 19, 2019 4:17 AM

Nov 2007
Shiroanon said:
he'll get multiple pity fist bumps from kumiko to help cope with being ntr'd by reina, that's enough, right?

Not gonna spoil it for you but if it helps you feel better then be it! But just pray that this is the last installment of the Hibike! franchise.

ps. Sorry but I had to edit your comment!
Coronavirus.
Apr 19, 2019 11:06 PM
May 2009
A character's value should never be measured solely by chances as a love interest to the main character.

That's so played out. I only care about good character growth and development.

Oh and memes. As long as Kumiko makes Kumiko noises, there will always be a show.
Apr 20, 2019 3:05 AM

Nov 2007
Archon_Wing said:
A character's value should never be measured solely by chances as a love interest to the main character.

Unfortunately that's how he is seen by quite a few western fans - as a bane in their path to yuri who is in love with the main character. It annoys me to no ends.

Viewers seem to discard the fact that he always shares important information with her, discusses situation of the club with her, encourages her when she is troubled, gives her support from behind the scenes in her family matters, and even follows up on her family situations with her.

Archon_Wing said:
Oh and memes. As long as Kumiko makes Kumiko noises, there will always be a show.

But that would be significantly cut if the movie goes in the other direction, no? Wait! Maybe I don't want it to go in that direction after all so that she can stick with her "Geh"s! You just opened a whole new reason for me to reconsider what I would like to see more in the long run. O_o
Coronavirus.
Apr 21, 2019 7:22 AM
Sep 2015
Has anyone seen the movie?
Apr 21, 2019 9:26 AM

Nov 2007

わ〜 黒沢 ともよ が 秀一 に(๑❤3❤๑) キス している〜

Coronavirus.
Apr 22, 2019 8:54 AM
Aug 2015
shanimebib said:
Unfortunately that's how he is seen by quite a few western fans - as a bane in their path to yuri who is in love with the main character. It annoys me to no ends.

Viewers seem to discard the fact that he always shares important information with her, discusses situation of the club with her, encourages her when she is troubled, gives her support from behind the scenes in her family matters, and even follows up on her family situations with her.

I don't think that western fans are the only one to blame. Because at the start of the anime, Shuuichi got some focus, and then Reina took the stage. This anime was for Japanese first, and Kyo Ani knew that if they added some "yuri scenes" that would please yuri shippers. I mean, they often do that. Since Reina got more focus, Shuuichi almost disappeared (as well as Hazuki and Sapphire). And a lot people were shipping Reina and Kumiko in Japan (not only western people). Even if he's shown giving some useful information, encouraging her, following up on her family situation, etc, Kyo Ani emphasized Reina a lot more so some people didn't get aware of Shuuichi's action.

I just think that if Kyo Ani didn't go on the "yuri route", people would have been more aware of Shuuichi. You said that he's kinda popular in Japan now, and I'm glad to hear that. But I think it's mainly thanks to his role in the novel, and not thanks to the anime. And unfortunately, western people can't read the novel, what they know about Shuuichi is only what was shown in the anime.
If Kyo Ani didn't went on the Kumiko x Reina ship, Shuuichi would have been more appreciated rather than being a character that ruin this ship.

Well, that's just my opinion but I think Kyo Ani is the one we should blame for this.
Apr 22, 2019 9:40 AM

Nov 2007
Kirie-san said:
Well, that's just my opinion but I think Kyo Ani is the one we should blame for this.

I am super biased so I ain't gonna blame KyoAni. :P To begin with, they are my absolute favourite studio, my next favourite studio is probably a stratosphere distance from them. I think I gave 9s and 10s to pretty much all of their anime.

Although life would have been easier if they adapted the novel page by page (to put it into perspective, reading a novel is 10 times more difficult than reading a manga of the same genre. I know just around 600-650 kanji, enough to go by a normal manga but one needs to know around 1200-1500 minimum to read an average novel).

But I loved both the novel and the adaptation, probably the adaptation a bit more because the fact that Kumiko >>liked Shuuichi<< was like an open book in the novel.

The >>confession<< was so much better in the novel though. It was the last thing >>Shuuichi<< could have been expecting. And it was literally the final sentence of first year story. So, any reader's time would just stop if they read that part.

Don't get it wrong. Shuuichi has always been well-liked even amongst anime fans in Japan. They didn't go for witch-hunting like they westerners did and accepted him as a character that has good points and weak points. But not someone as their mortal enemy, the depth charger on their KumiRei submarine.

Western fans be like:
Shuuichi liking Kumiko is his fault.
Kumiko dropping her egg-roll is his fault.
Reina liking Taki-sensei is his fault.
Reina teasing Kumiko with Shuuichi is his fault.
Kumiko making up with Mamiko is his fault.
Kumiko grabbing his shirt is his fault.
Kumiko accepting his gift is his fault.
His fault. His fault. His! HIS! FAULT! FAULT!! DIE! DIEEE!!

Japanese fans be like:
Wa~ He is so kawaii!
He really understands Kumiko, ne?
Ganbare! Shuuichi!
(They even have a specialty bread named after him, duh!)
Coronavirus.
Apr 22, 2019 1:19 PM
Aug 2015
@shanimebib: Lol, I'm not the same since most of the time I think "Oh they can do something good" and then I end up disappointed. My favorite animes from Kyo Ani are Clannad, Free and Koe no Katachi. I was disappointed by Hyouka, Kyoukai no Kanata and Hibike. And even with the third season of Free and the beginning of Violet Evergarden. So now I'm not confident with their works.

I haven't read the novels but I was told there weren't "yuri scenes" like they did in anime. That's why I wish they had follow the novel.

I'm not saying that Shuuichi hasn't been well-liked in Japan, but Kyo Ani put that yuri fan service because of Japanese people (since their works is firstly addressed to Japanese). It's kinda the same with Violet Evergarden, they added Iris, Erica in the anime to attract male viewers. Even in Free they emphasized too much the relationship between Ikuya and Hiyori to attract female viewers. And I'm fed up with their fan service since it ruins the show.

Well, they didn't go for "witch-hunting" but neither did the westerners. I've seen people complaining about Shuuichi ruining the Kumiko x Reina ship but I've also seen people that were aware of his actions and who wished that Kyo Ani didn't emphasized that ship. Maybe they weren't a lot on MyAnimeList but there are westerners who liked Shuuichi. That's why I think that KyoAni is responsible for the hate he got since they are the ones that emphasized the Kumiko x Reina instead of giving Shuuchi the role he was supposed to have.

Anyway, now it's too late. I just hope I'll be able to read the novel one day. I also would like to know what Ayano Takeda thinks about the anime adaptation. If it was me I would be very angry lol
Apr 22, 2019 11:10 PM
Apr 2019
Heres a personal story, having watched the series first in grade 9. As a trombone player in concert band who had a crush on the baritone(eupho) player sitting next to me. The story hits really close to home. I had never saw so much about myself and what I do in an anime. Yes, we did go through the same practise routine while preparing to go to Nationals, and when you mess up it really hurts. It even semi realistically captured the drama that I went through myself. Schoolwork interfering, parents interfering, people who choose to slack off instead of practicing. These things really do happen in a High School concert band, and the show does a really good job of portraying it. Band was just such a big part of life that your friends ultimately became mostly your band mates along with your romantic interests as well. I really do see myself in Shuuichi(I'll always be cheering for him). But what I really want out of the series is for it to continue doing what it was doing so well, that is to realistically capture the story of a high school band. And honestly did I expect to marry the girl sitting next to me? Not really. But we were certainly there before the competition to encourage each other as good friends, having spend so much time toghether practicing(The lower brass section often rehearse toghether). I admit I heavily ship Kumiko and Shuuichi and wish them a happy ending. But instead of just having Shuiichi x Kumino the end. What I really want to see are the effects of their nichijou relationship incorporated into the anime as I feel like that is something that will add another layer to the already enjoyable plot. Because I bet that if Kumiko and Shuuichi does go out second year, their relationship is bound to have both positive and negative consequences. And because Kumiko is such an interesting character, by seeing how she manages that alongside her band duties, there so many places where the plot can go. I don't really want to end this off bashing stuff but I will, I understand how cute Yuri can be, and I'll even admit, the fanservice between Reina and Kumiko were nice, it's an anime after all. But what really upsets me is the number of fans that takes this bit of fanservice and pretend as if the entire anime was based off it. They think that a serious and engaging relationship between Kumiko and Shuuichi is somehow a cuckold to the Kumiko x Reina master race... Anyways maybe this is too much to ask out of a movie but I'm allowed to have wishes. (Still waiting for English translation of the novels, or honestly a Japanese version would be fine as well. Along with the new movie...)
Apr 23, 2019 11:39 PM
May 2009
Kirie-san said:
Shuuichi almost disappeared

Well, he shows up to get insulted, like being regarded as "spineless" and then he has a moment with Kumiko in the haunted house and cockblocked because this is totally funny and we need to have a laugh at his expense. This is so played out in anime that I really have little tolerance for it. Overall, I've never been impressed with the heavy drama in this show, though certainly the soulful moments the show has comes from it so i can forgive it somewhat. The romance/shipping things, I'm generally never impressed with any show, so that can pass. But it's why season 2 hasn't really aged well for me. It's focused on more serious stuff and more adolescence or whatever. And then we have Reina wanting to find out how to be more like a dead woman. This is just one of the things that made me question why I'm still watching this.Yea....Only Asuka's bit really had any impact on me.

I think overall I still liked Kumiko and Reina's relationship-- romantic implications or not-- but some of it seems to have come at the expense of someone else, so that might have had negative effects overall.

Kirie-san said:
@shanimebib: Lol, I'm not the same since most of the time I think "Oh they can do something good" and then I end up disappointed. My favorite animes from Kyo Ani are Clannad, Free and Koe no Katachi. I was disappointed by Hyouka, Kyoukai no Kanata and Hibike. And even with the third season of Free and the beginning of Violet Evergarden. So now I'm not confident with their works.

I don't really care for Kyoani in particular. Although to be fair, I'm not really particular to most studios either (except some I dislike)

I like some of their shows, and I certainly like how they animate long black hair, but other than that, I'm fairly apathetic one way or an another. It's pretty much Key, Haruhi, and Eupho for me. (FMP is noice) But certainly Eupho helped reestablish them in my head as I do love it as a whole.
Archon_WingApr 23, 2019 11:47 PM
Apr 24, 2019 9:01 AM

Nov 2007

Run, Kumiko! Run!

It's not photoshopped btw. Screencapped from the latest PV. :)
Coronavirus.
Apr 24, 2019 12:39 PM

Sep 2016
Happy115678 said:
Heres a personal story, having watched the series first in grade 9. As a trombone player in concert band who had a crush on the baritone(eupho) player sitting next to me. The story hits really close to home. I had never saw so much about myself and what I do in an anime. Yes, we did go through the same practise routine while preparing to go to Nationals, and when you mess up it really hurts. It even semi realistically captured the drama that I went through myself. Schoolwork interfering, parents interfering, people who choose to slack off instead of practicing. These things really do happen in a High School concert band, and the show does a really good job of portraying it. Band was just such a big part of life that your friends ultimately became mostly your band mates along with your romantic interests as well. I really do see myself in Shuuichi(I'll always be cheering for him). But what I really want out of the series is for it to continue doing what it was doing so well, that is to realistically capture the story of a high school band. And honestly did I expect to marry the girl sitting next to me? Not really. But we were certainly there before the competition to encourage each other as good friends, having spend so much time toghether practicing(The lower brass section often rehearse toghether). I admit I heavily ship Kumiko and Shuuichi and wish them a happy ending. But instead of just having Shuiichi x Kumino the end. What I really want to see are the effects of their nichijou relationship incorporated into the anime as I feel like that is something that will add another layer to the already enjoyable plot. Because I bet that if Kumiko and Shuuichi does go out second year, their relationship is bound to have both positive and negative consequences. And because Kumiko is such an interesting character, by seeing how she manages that alongside her band duties, there so many places where the plot can go. I don't really want to end this off bashing stuff but I will, I understand how cute Yuri can be, and I'll even admit, the fanservice between Reina and Kumiko were nice, it's an anime after all. But what really upsets me is the number of fans that takes this bit of fanservice and pretend as if the entire anime was based off it. They think that a serious and engaging relationship between Kumiko and Shuuichi is somehow a cuckold to the Kumiko x Reina master race... Anyways maybe this is too much to ask out of a movie but I'm allowed to have wishes. (Still waiting for English translation of the novels, or honestly a Japanese version would be fine as well. Along with the new movie...)

>bit of fanservice
>a serious and engaging relationship between Kumiko and Shuuichi
Apr 24, 2019 2:22 PM

Nov 2007
ORUGAdesu said:
>a serious and engaging relationship between Kumiko and Shuuichi

More like a disaster to happen, lol. Although, as always, it has been toned down significantly in the anime version.

Despite of everything Kumiko has shown in the TV series when it came to Shuuichi, it turned out that 'Anime Kumiko' probably fancies 'Anime Shuuichi' more than 'Novel Kumiko' fancying 'Novel Shuuichi'. The whole fortress built on the notion that "Anime is Anime and Novel is Novel" when it came to the canon relationship of the novel suddenly looks founded on sands tbh.
Coronavirus.
Apr 28, 2019 7:15 AM

Nov 2007
Chikai no Finale Main Key Visual Wall Pairs/Trios at the Cinemas:

Midori and Motomu
Hazuki and Suzukis
Natsuki and Kanade
Reina and Yuuko
Kumiko and Shuuichi

Source: @miho_karasawa

Will I be done with these?
shanimebibApr 28, 2019 7:44 AM
Coronavirus.
Apr 29, 2019 6:27 AM

Nov 2007
Delete_me_ said:
@shanimebib, I heard that Kumiko broke up with Shuuichi in the Second Movement (her second year's novel)? Is this true or not? Also, do you think there will be movie adaptations/anime adaptations of the new novels?

Does what happen in the novel really matters because I was constantly told in the past that the novel is novel and the anime is anime, lol. Won't you want to wait for the movie and find out yourself?

Okay, here is your answer. Technically they did break up. But then again they did not. It's not entirely true or remarkably false either. There were so many things going on in her second year. If anything Shuuichi just took the blunt of it all. The reason I said that they did not because it was largely implied that Kumiko still wanted to be with Shuuichi and she even suggested him to choose her again if he still fancied her once they graduated. It was made very obvious that she wanted to be with him in the future herself but needed more time to give her all to music. It is also made very obvious that Reina wants Kumiko's love to bear fruit.

Movie spoiler ahead: The apparent break in their relationship made the Novel Kumiko a pretty cruel person because she was the one who confessed. The reason why the Movie Kumiko will be significantly better than the Novel Kumiko because the person who confesses in the movie is Shuuichi. If you want to know more, the Movie Kumiko does the same thing with Shuuichi but the situation is toned down significantly, giving off more of an amicable break-up where the two still fancied each other to be together after they graduated.

As for the continuation, there is a big possibility. I have not seen KyoAni going so overboard for any of their other franchises in the past. The meets, the events, the interviews - all gave off the idea that they want to work on Kumiko's final year in high school.

Quote me at your own risk!
Coronavirus.
Apr 29, 2019 10:31 AM
Jul 2015
Delete_me_ said:
@shanimebib, I heard that Kumiko broke up with Shuuichi in the Second Movement (her second year's novel)? Is this true or not? Also, do you think there will be movie adaptations/anime adaptations of the new novels?

According the end of this movie, I'm pretty sure there will be future adaption to the novel.
starrinzApr 29, 2019 11:03 AM
May 2, 2019 7:20 AM

Nov 2007

❤秀久美❤

それでも私とつきあっていいって思うたら
"If you still think you would like to go out with me..."
俺も同じこと考えてた
"I also thought the same way (about you)"

Couldn't have asked for more! <3
Coronavirus.
May 2, 2019 11:49 PM
Jul 2015
Delete_me_ said:
Thank for your answers @shanimebib and @starrinz! Let's hope that there will be more Hibike! Euphonium projects in the future!

Kumiko and Shuuichi look very cute in the new trailer. It seems that KyoAni will be able to sell this romance to me. When I heard that Kumiko and Shuuichi will be romantically involved with each other in this new movie I was worried and reserved (maybe even baffled) because Shuuichi didn't get much screen time or had much presence in the anime series and Kumiko was so uninterested in him (in other words Shuuichi was irrelevant character in my eyes) that I feared the romance between Kumiko and Shuuichi would come out of nowhere in the movie and that it would look very forced. Hopefully Shuuichi will get some very much needed development in this movie! He didn't get any during the series so I don't feel like have got a grasp of his personality etc.

One thing that worries me are the die hard KumiRei shippers who will bash this movies just because Kumiko x Shuuichi becomes canon instead of KumiRei. I do understand that your favorite ship sinking sucks, but it is NOT the end of the world and it should NOT prevent you from enjoying this movie. Hell, I am a huge KumiRei shipper myself but Kumiko ending up with Shuuichi is NOT going to affect my enjoyment of this movie negatively. I am still gonna love this movie and I will still keep shipping KumiRei and read and write fanfiction about them. People shouldn't use shipping or their favorite pairing becoming canon or not as a measure of quality in a show. I mean, what does it matter if your ship becomes canon or not? There's so much more to this show than just romance, this story is about so much more than "does Kumiko end up with Reina or Shuuichi?" and there's so much more in it than the relationship between Kumiko and Reina. I mean, yeah, Kumiko's relationship with Reina is a big and important part of the story, but it isn't the only important thing in it and it isn't the only thing that makes the story good. Especially since this isn't a pure romance story. It annoys me that people seem to ingore all the other aspects what makes Hibike! Euphonium so great. Sorry about this rant xD

I've just returned from Japan. In the last week, I watched this movie for 11 times(for the random theater exclusive present though), and I've got to say, as a KumiRei shipper, I don't feel triggered, nor I feel KumiRei ship sunk.
May 3, 2019 5:00 PM
May 2010
Thank you @shanimebib and @starrinz for sharing what is going on with the novel! I am a huge fan of this ship and was sad it was not really in the anime. I knew they got together in the novel and was super excited. I am sad that they are currently on break, but at least, it is not a complete break up. It seems like a hold till they finished their third year. I hope Kumiko learns more about herself and able to get over what she needs to get over. She is a difficult person.

I can't wait for this movie!
May 12, 2019 5:19 AM

Nov 2007

The moment of truth!

I cannot wait to see more Kumiko reactions!
Coronavirus.
May 12, 2019 6:59 AM
Aug 2018
When will the movie be avariable online?
May 12, 2019 9:40 AM

Nov 2007

No, she would hate his company, actually, or so we had always been told. And then she shows a laugh she hadn't shown anyone else before. :)

ImperatorRegus said:
When will the movie be avariable online?

If you are referring to BD, then probably 6 months from now. So, that would be around October-November this year.
Coronavirus.
May 13, 2019 7:45 AM
Aug 2018
What is BD? I don't get it, sorry. I was referring to "Chikai no Finale". Where have you watched it? I didn't find any streaming site with it online, so I tought they didn't released it on the Internet yet.

By the way,so BD it's another movie planned for this year's autumn?
May 13, 2019 9:38 AM

Nov 2007
ImperatorRegus said:
What is BD? I don't get it, sorry. I was referring to "Chikai no Finale". Where have you watched it? I didn't find any streaming site with it online, so I tought they didn't released it on the Internet yet.

By the way,so BD it's another movie planned for this year's autumn?

BD as in 'Blu-ray Disc' of Chikai no Finale. That's the only way you'll get something before theatre releases. The movie is coming in the US theatres soon. I think I saw the news somewhere. Alternatively, you can fly to Japan. :P

There has not been any announcement of any sort. But of course, if fans wants to see >>Kumiko<< getting together with >>Shuuichi<< than all they have to do is wish for a sequel to Chikai no Finale because that is pretty much set in stone.
Coronavirus.
May 14, 2019 10:41 AM
Aug 2018
Ah ok, I understood. Thank you. I am really looking forward to this movie and his sequels beause it's my favourite anime. My life is in it. I play both trombone and euphonium, so you can understand why I want to see this anime. It's really well done. I really like it.
May 14, 2019 12:43 PM

Feb 2017
Noooooh!
Kumiko x Reina forever
May 14, 2019 2:14 PM

Nov 2007
MomoLilya said:
Noooooh!
Kumiko x Reina best friend forever

Corrected for you. Takeda has confirmed it multiple times that what Kumiko and Reina share is something more precious than any other relationship - a bond formed through fellowship, a bond that is more powerful than any romantic relationship could ever be.

And it is something Shuuichi himself understands. Shuuichi understands Kumiko more than anyone else. Much more than her own sister - Mamiko, her precious senpai - Asuka and certainly more than her best friend - Reina. And that is something Kumiko is aware of herself as well.

Kumiko and Shuuichi have a connection that is not visible to many because that is how the anime wanted to portray it. They are imperfect together but that is how most of the real relationships are. And Hibike deals with real relationships. There is a reason why Takeda confirmed the importance of Shuuichi in Kumiko's life. Shuuichi fits the entire description of a person who would support her from the shadows, accept her for who she is, and be there for her the difficult person that she is.
Coronavirus.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Movie 3: Chikai no Finale Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Apr 18, 2019

127 by nickehhhhhh »»
Jul 25, 5:21 AM

» Turning Hibike! Euphonium into a film was a mistake, especially for the future

CickNipolla - Jul 12, 2022

14 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 1:37 PM

» Does Kumiko actually romantically like Asuka?

OugiRevolution - Mar 1, 2020

10 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 12:42 PM

» Kumiko x Reina ?

removed-user - Jan 23, 2022

8 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 29, 12:38 PM

» question about this

MeganeKun_ - Jun 13, 2022

12 by WiskleGEX »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.