3It was OK
13.6%
2Disliked it
4.9%
1Hated it
8.6%
Average 3.9
81 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 12, 2018 12:28 PM

Dec 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, I guess this was what was mistaken as the first episode of DxD. It wasn't half bad, quite decent imo, both hilarious and cringy at the same time if I'm to be completely honest. Not much else to say.
joe_g7Apr 12, 2018 12:39 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 12, 2018 12:44 PM

Mar 2016
NEETazertyY said:
[(...) Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai Oppai (...)]

A little bit of rectonning in the beggining; I don't mind.
That song was ridiculous... (Oppai, Oppai, Oppai, Oppai, Oppai, Oppai... AHAHAHA)
Oppai Dragon and Switch Princess? AHAHAHAHA; I haven't watch a first episode that was so funny in a while!
Asia's confession was cool. About time she get confidence in herself!

I also thought I would take a while to get used to this new art style but I actually didn't care that much.

Overall: 7/10
---------------------------------------
Apr 12, 2018 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
the fuck was this? Neon Genesis DxD? was that a fucking eva or something? plus the shitty art, blegh.
Apr 12, 2018 1:01 PM

Jul 2016
I know it won't mean much to many, coming fro someone who liked Born the most, or at least just about as much as season 1 (a re-watch of both would be required to determine it), but I feel like this, the actual version of the events, made some if it pretty stupid. It's still good, but honestly, using the Oppai Dragon song to calm Issei down, just doesn't really fit as well, even though it's totally something that would come from DxD. It seemed like more of a stupid idea, and not the good kind of stupid that DxD usually has, like Issei awakening the balance breaker by poking Rias' tits (this is from the part of Born that seems like the inaccurate part based on what people are saying, but still). I know cover art isn't always just like the inside art, but I truely feel like the old character designs looked closer to the cover art manga designs,a t least; I didn't look at the ln covers, so maybe those are much different looking, but Idk. At least this gives Hero somewhere to go, though, and I'm sure it'll still be a really good season, despite the changes.

Apr 12, 2018 1:23 PM

Sep 2015
Ah so that's why it didn't show anything new. They had to ruin the ending to BORN before they made HERO. I see, that's why it was so terrible. Well safe to say Juggernaut Drive's badass appeal is ruined, the transformation scene was the same, the redirected fight with Shalba was kinda shit but at least they showed his arms getting torn off this time, the 'transformation back' part was horrific, instead of a fight with Vali and an emotional scene with Rias we get the fucking Oppai Dragon theme song completely killing the mood and a nipple poke. They removed the coma part and by extension made Asia's confession flat and cheap as a result. It wouldn't surprise me if the removed Loki's curse as well. What a disgrace. The worst part is that people actually think this is better than the original BORN ending. Newsflash: The Manga canon is irrelevant, this is the ANIME, so the animme is the only canon that counts.
Apr 12, 2018 1:31 PM

Jul 2016
SPEERS said:
AobaSuzukaze said:
I know it won't mean much to many, coming fro someone who liked Born the most, or at least just about as much as season 1 (a re-watch of both would be required to determine it), but I feel like this, the actual version of the events, made some if it pretty stupid. It's still good, but honestly, using the Oppai Dragon song to calm Issei down, just doesn't really fit as well, even though it's totally something that would come from DxD. It seemed like more of a stupid idea, and not the good kind of stupid that DxD usually has, like Issei awakening the balance breaker by poking Rias' tits (this is from the part of Born that seems like the inaccurate part based on what people are saying, but still). I know cover art isn't always just like the inside art, but I truely feel like the old character designs looked closer to the cover art manga designs,a t least; I didn't look at the ln covers, so maybe those are much different looking, but Idk. At least this gives Hero somewhere to go, though, and I'm sure it'll still be a really good season, despite the changes.

Actually the nipple poke was canon...

Good to know. It would be a shame if it wasn't.

Apr 12, 2018 1:49 PM
Jan 2014
TigersAndDragons said:
Ah so that's why it didn't show anything new. They had to ruin the ending to BORN before they made HERO. I see, that's why it was so terrible. Well safe to say Juggernaut Drive's badass appeal is ruined, the transformation scene was the same, the redirected fight with Shalba was kinda shit but at least they showed his arms getting torn off this time, the 'transformation back' part was horrific, instead of a fight with Vali and an emotional scene with Rias we get the fucking Oppai Dragon theme song completely killing the mood and a nipple poke. They removed the coma part and by extension made Asia's confession flat and cheap as a result. It wouldn't surprise me if the removed Loki's curse as well. What a disgrace. The worst part is that people actually think this is better than the original BORN ending. Newsflash: The Manga canon is irrelevant, this is the ANIME, so the animme is the only canon that counts.

Ehhh, 9/10 most material that go anime only direction usually dont get a sequel. And if they do, they retcon the original anime stuff out of it so it follows the source material. Cough FMA:B Cough Cough Blue Exorcist Cough. So yes you may like how it ended. The author and those in power (along with it's primary audience, the Japanese folk) did not like born's ending so thats why we are where are today with a retcon, and going back to source so the story can flow more smoothly going forward without being constrained by the radical changes of last season.
Apr 12, 2018 2:16 PM

Apr 2014
loved it, and am glad they did this so they could continue the series giving us the real story than the anime original we got with born

now to look forward to the new season to officially start
"one step at a time"
Apr 12, 2018 2:49 PM

Apr 2016
My favorite DxD scene (which happened on BorN) was ruined by this episode.
OPPAI Dragon used as a tranquilizer to Issei's berserk. XD
Though stupid and I facepalmed at that scene, I somehow find it funny. WTH LOL!
footmasterApr 12, 2018 2:52 PM
Apr 12, 2018 3:11 PM
Mar 2018
TigersAndDragons said:
Thanks man. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this episode 0 was kind of unnecessary. No matter what happened in BorN they should have just let it be an moved on so there was some sort of continuity in the anime sine the anime and manga are 2 different things. I liked the intensity of what they did in BorN and now it got all messed up, accurate or not who cares at this point, let's just move on with Season 4!
Apr 12, 2018 3:57 PM

Apr 2008
DT1214 said:
TigersAndDragons said:
Thanks man. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this episode 0 was kind of unnecessary. No matter what happened in BorN they should have just let it be an moved on so there was some sort of continuity in the anime sine the anime and manga are 2 different things. I liked the intensity of what they did in BorN and now it got all messed up, accurate or not who cares at this point, let's just move on with Season 4!

That is just not possible when key developments were ruined in Born when they're supposed to happen in THIS season. What part of that don't you both get?
Apr 12, 2018 4:02 PM

Feb 2012
At least I'm not alone in disliking the changes made to the Juggernaut Drive scene - the thread in the main series discussion definitely made me think otherwise. This will probably be the first thing DxD I willingly refuse to put onto my list.

I've read the novels up to volume 20. I don't remember all that much past volume 12. But I do remember that I absolutely HATED the JD resolution and very much preferred the more serious conclusion that BorN did. It's one of the few things I thought BorN improved upon, another being the hints/foreshadowing in the first(?) episode concerning

LN purists - especially a certain user beginning with D - you can flame me, insult me, say I'm wrong until you're blue in the face, but this is one thing you will never change my mind on.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Apr 12, 2018 4:06 PM
Mar 2018
i haven't read the novels yet and i am fine with them going back to canon but the art is horrible, i prefer the old one by a long shot
Apr 12, 2018 4:06 PM

Apr 2008
EHero09 said:
At least I'm not alone in disliking the changes made to the Juggernaut Drive scene - the thread in the main series discussion definitely made me think otherwise. This will probably be the first thing DxD I willingly refuse to put onto my list.

I've read the novels up to volume 20. I don't remember all that much past volume 12. But I do remember that I absolutely HATED the JD resolution and very much preferred the more serious conclusion that BorN did. It's one of the few things I thought BorN improved upon, another being the hints/foreshadowing in the first(?) episode concerning

LN purists - especially a certain user beginning with D - you can flame me, insult me, say I'm wrong until you're blue in the face, but this is one thing you will never change my mind on.

LOL I need to do nothing of the sort seeing as you and those thinking like you are part of the irrelevant minority. You can howl you can cry you can stomp your feet on the ground all you want in favor of that trash tier fanfiction. It won't change a damn thing. Ishibumi and the Japanese fanbase wanted this and it will do miles better in sales than BorN.
Apr 12, 2018 4:27 PM

May 2015
I guess this mean that my comment (the one I made in episode 1) is irrelevant... XD
Apr 12, 2018 4:28 PM
May 2016
AvaG said:
the fuck was this? Neon Genesis DxD? was that a fucking eva or something? plus the shitty art, blegh.
XD yea I thought the same but the art style closely resembles the light novels so that’s why I don’t think the art style is that bad.
Apr 12, 2018 4:29 PM
Mar 2018
Darklight0303 said:
DT1214 said:
Thanks man. Glad I'm not the only one who thought this episode 0 was kind of unnecessary. No matter what happened in BorN they should have just let it be an moved on so there was some sort of continuity in the anime sine the anime and manga are 2 different things. I liked the intensity of what they did in BorN and now it got all messed up, accurate or no who cares at this point, let's just move on with Season 4!

That is just not possible when key developments were ruined in Born when they're supposed to happen in THIS season. What part of that don't you both get?
I get it, and appreciate what you are saying. I am just saying that from a continuity standpoint what's done is done in BorN. I don't think they ever should have diverted from the LN is the first place, anime's do that far too often, or they skip over stuff or condense things so that it doesn't make any sense. In this instaance I am just thinking of this in terms of "what am I going to see if I binge on all of the seasons? In this case it's kind of turning into a confusing mess from an anime standpoint. I acknowledge that you are absolutely correct that IF (and that's a big IF) they are going to stay true to the LN then they needed to set some things straight but I guess I just don't know. What I like is that it is back on the air and it has a big following. I hope the season goes well and they continue to go all the way through the LN's in the future, there is a lot of material to go. It sure would be awesome if DxD turned into something like One Piece or Dragonball both of which have been on forever by anime standards. I would sure love to see this go 10+ seasons!
Apr 12, 2018 4:50 PM

Jul 2014
From what I've been seeing in various discussion threads so far, I'm gonna guess that the reason anime only fans are pissed off is because they view this series to be more serious than it actually is (or at least want it to be). Has everyone seriously forgotten how obsessed with boobs issei is? I sure haven't.
I do agree that what we got last season with the JD was really cool and emotional but the goal of this episode was to recap and retcon, not mimic to a T. I'm pretty sure the producers themselves believed that the fans would have re-watched season 3 to prepare for this so the emotional impact should've been felt from there. For anyone new who is just starting at this season, they wouldn't feel the same impact regardless of how well it was copied anyway.
On the instance of the art style, I actually like it because to me it looks to fit well with the goofy yet sometimes serious tone of this series even though I also enjoyed the old style while it lasted.
Apr 12, 2018 8:07 PM

Apr 2018
Not the best, however, since it is a recap and retold the last several episodes from the light novel perspective, I would not really consider this an episode. Still it was extremely funny when they used to Oppai song to get Issei to calm down. Plus the art is good too. It makes Rias, Akeno, and Asia look super adorable! Anyway, let's see what happens in the actual first episode.
Apr 12, 2018 9:05 PM
Apr 2017
So this is the show that aired on 10th April? πŸ˜…
Apr 12, 2018 9:21 PM
Jan 2018
TigersAndDragons said:

First of this is based of a light novel. And this episode is the CANNON version of how it went. The Loki curse never happend that was anime orginal so was most of series as well as the last 3 episodes.
Apr 12, 2018 9:36 PM
Jan 2018
BorN ruined the series by making the loki curse and forcing something that in the end didn't even change anything and mixing and cut episode and jamming 3 light novels into 9 episodes and doing like 3 anime orginals which where pointless. And ruined development and most parts of the series wouldn't happen till later on. The series is both silly and serious. This episode was like the cannon version. It basically removing the loki curse and making then last 3 episodes now irrelevent as it would interfere with season 4.
Apr 12, 2018 9:57 PM

Mar 2018
Well, I was told that BorN messed up the things that happened on the LN so I was aware of that, got surprised while watching the episode because of the things happening, I don't remember that "chant" for both of JD (prob because of the time). It was hilarious the fact they used the Oppai Dragon song to help Issei but too cringy XD. And wow Asia, you got brave and kissed Issei, Rias knew she was going to that's for sure.
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline πŸ˜…
Apr 12, 2018 10:00 PM

Mar 2018
Great_Saiyaman said:
Well, it's nice we're now recovering somewhat from the absolute garbage that was BorN. "Let's cut out half the plot from the source material and create some random garbage to fill up the rest of the season. While we're at it, let's degrade the art somewhat and make everyone look terrible."

I'm glad they changed the art style. It actually makes the show's art style much more appealing than even season 1. It's just too bad we can't get BorN entirely redone.

Also... Don't get any closer faker D:
One day I'll be active here, in the mean time I'll keep track of what I watch offline πŸ˜…
Apr 12, 2018 10:58 PM
Mar 2016
While this episode was mainly a meme, the end looked pretty serious. Hopefully they stick with the mood they set from the previous seasons where there's some good laughs but the actual plot is pretty heavy and serious at the core.

Not sure how I feel about the animation though, looks a lot more cartoony and the faces are weird but that's just because I'm used to the old art style, I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Either way, I'm glad we got to see a new chatacter/group being introduced. If it doesn't change much from how it's always been then I'm sure I'll like this season as much as previous ones. Although please less of the memes, it was funny but damn was it cringe.

7/10 for me I would say.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2018 6:40 AM

Jul 2015
kfire2kenbob said:
TigersAndDragons said:

Ehhh, 9/10 most material that go anime only direction usually dont get a sequel. And if they do, they retcon the original anime stuff out of it so it follows the source material. Cough FMA:B Cough Cough Blue Exorcist Cough. So yes you may like how it ended. The author and those in power (along with it's primary audience, the Japanese folk) did not like born's ending so thats why we are where are today with a retcon, and going back to source so the story can flow more smoothly going forward without being constrained by the radical changes of last season.

How this retcon changes anything? I don t get it.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 13, 2018 6:43 AM

Apr 2008
Ekiadox said:
kfire2kenbob said:

How this retcon changes anything? I don t get it.

It changes everything. That stupid macguffin that was Loke's curse is eradicated. The stupid looking bikini armor is erased as well. The character development that was rushed for Issei can now be properly played out THIS season as well as the whole him calling Rias by name which is MUCH better played out in the novel and luckily ALSO this season.
Apr 13, 2018 7:41 AM

Aug 2012
Thread Locked

Use this thread instead https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1720822

I didn't merge it with that thread since the posts here would be messed up. The thread I linked was created prior to this particular entry being created. I apologize for any confusion this may bring.
MAL Rewriteγ€€β˜†γ€€
Site & Forum Guidelinesγ€€β˜†γ€€
Report Abuse
γ€€β˜†γ€€
Zuramaru β™ͺ
β˜†γ€€

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School DxD Hero: Taiikukan-ura no Holy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2018

365 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Jan 9, 1:15 PM

» High school Dxd Drinking game.

GrimAtrament - May 1, 2018

4 by Jamester_UWU »»
Aug 1, 2022 11:39 PM

» Since this retcons the last 4 episodes of season 3 should i just skip the last 4

Omnitrix10 - Apr 17, 2018

4 by ChartTopper60 »»
Mar 20, 2021 8:19 AM

» Difference between Borns Ending (last 3 episodes) and this episode?

-_Removed_- - Apr 14, 2018

3 by TheDeadWalk »»
Feb 7, 2020 8:10 PM

» What is this? ( 1 2 )

begija - Apr 12, 2018

52 by GrimAtrament »»
May 1, 2018 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.