Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kokkoku: Moment by Moment
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 7, 2018 2:03 PM

Mar 2010
Syrup- said:
5 episodes in and I still have zero idea what the point of any of this is. Nothing makes sense, no matter how much I try to understand the rules. I get the feeling the mangaka has been writing from his ass to some degree because everything introduced seems to act as a coverup for a previous or almost immediate ass pull.
many rules had ben set and follow, there is no rule that was broken so far, you only need to pay close attention and read all the subs even if you have to pause.

A family hunted down by thugs so they can have control over some time stop power so they can use it for... uhh? Everyone on the bad guy's team is nefarious and lecherous, so I would assume their pretense of using it for good is a lie.
it is clearly said that they have the knowledge about the power but don't know how to activate it, also it is not a lie that they wanna use the power for good but it is for their own good.

If nobody can exit stasis on their own, how is there a "church" surrounding this power? It would imply someone has been in and out of stasis at least two to three times to gather info around heralds and their existence.
ithere was a "church" surrounding that power that could get in and out, they are not it

Oh and not to mention at the same "moment" in time, Juri and that woman happened to use the stone, causing them to meet. That's some premium grade A bullshit right there, but my disbelief is already on heavy suspension.
as I said before, the only one that used the stone was the grandfather, and the spell spreaded from both stones, what implies that at some point those two stones where one

edit: also maybe I'm not understanding the problem correctly, but why did the thugs need them to use the master stone in order to steal it away from them? They have their own time stop powers, couldn't they have just used their own to stop time, steal the stone without resistance, and be done with it? They're thugs. They can kidnap one of the family members in broad daylight (without timestop), steal a pint of blood for ritual activation purposes, and then bugger off and do evil; it's not like the family's permission is even necessary.
ithey can't use the spell

Also
why does the MC wear the labcoat
is she a chuuni

that I don't know, maybe she is a scientist
Feb 7, 2018 3:44 PM

Jan 2013
many rules had ben set and follow, there is no rule that was broken so far, you only need to pay close attention and read all the subs even if you have to pause.

it is clearly said that they have the knowledge about the power but don't know how to activate it, also it is not a lie that they wanna use the power for good but it is for their own good.

ithere was a "church" surrounding that power that could get in and out, they are not it

as I said before, the only one that used the stone was the grandfather, and the spell spreaded from both stones, what implies that at some point those two stones where one

They can use the spell, other wise they wouldn't even be in the time stop at the same time as them. They have their own stone. Also, if they are not the church, who is the church, where does the church come from, and why are they following this church but have no idea about anything surrounding it?

I never said any rules were broken, I was saying the rules seem to be made up on an asspull basis, feeding into plot twists that never seem to pay off.

I'm not really interested in getting into a tugging match over these details where the quotes get more and more fragmented.
Feb 7, 2018 5:46 PM

Oct 2015
Good episode. I really like how this anime inserts subtle comedy on seemingly serious scenarios. They are so well done I can't even complain 5/5
The way the herald chopped off that guy's head though. Home Run
Feb 8, 2018 6:14 AM
Mar 2017
DAT eyes

The brother did not turn out to be as useless as we all thought. At least he made Makoto escape and because of the advances it seems he did not die.
I hope he does not become Herald
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Feb 9, 2018 1:11 AM
Jul 2012
Syrup- said:

They can use the spell, other wise they wouldn't even be in the time stop at the same time as them. They have their own stone. Also, if they are not the church, who is the church, where does the church come from, and why are they following this church but have no idea about anything surrounding it?

I never said any rules were broken, I was saying the rules seem to be made up on an asspull basis, feeding into plot twists that never seem to pay off.

I'm not really interested in getting into a tugging match over these details where the quotes get more and more fragmented.

In one of the earlier episodes, 2 or 3 if I recall, it was mentioned that the stone the cult has is basically a sort of, 'subordinate stone' (which I'm assuming that the cult likely got from Shouko when she took her stone back out of Stasis from where her car stopped and was presumably found by this cult, who were probably watching this stone, which allowed her to grow up in the cult as a sort of foster family) to the stone Juri's family has. Basically it can't really be activated unless there is some type of offering, in the case of the cult, Shouko's blood or sweat, as we saw that her family members are capable of doing when we saw her kid brother sweat or cry into their stone to activate it, right when Gramps activated Stasis with their own stone to try to save Juri's dog.

However, despite Shouko being able to activate it, it doesn't work unless Juri's family uses their stone at the same time, which we saw in this episode in Shouko's flashback as well. This was also shown in an earlier episode, when it was explained why we saw that the cult was spying on Juri's family with those cameras, to see exactly when they activated the stone, so the cult could activate their's at the same time with Shouko. That's also why they kidnapped Makoto with an unreasonable deadline, to force Juri's family to use the their stone. The cult probably thought it was much easier to get the stone this way, through Stasis, than through actively attacking Juri's house in the real world, since I'm sure 30+ dudes (or even less) assaulting a house in a populated neighborhood would draw some attention from the authorities and neighbors, where a sort of 'grab and go' kidnapping is a little easier to get away with, especially if the cult was planning on going into Stasis anyways.

A convenient ass pull for plot reasons yes, but one I think will be explained later, for I already have a theory in my head. If we look at the stones Juri's family and the cult have, we can see they are basically cut in half. I suspect the two stones were in fact one at some point or from the same original source, but for some reason Juri's family's stone half is a little bigger than the one Shouko's family had, before the cult ended up with it. Which is perhaps why it's the 'main stone,' and can activate Stasis. Then there comes the issue with the whole activation process, on why Juri's family are the only ones who can activate Stasis. I think this will lead to a common trope seen in a lot of Japanese anime, in this case the sort of 'main family branch' and 'sub family branch' trope. Clearly Shouko's family and Juri's family are connected somehow, but we don't know how yet. It will probably involve the two being the same family or something or having been given some kind of blessing way back in the day, then when family heads disagreed, Shouko's ancestors got upset, cut the stone in half and took their half with them as a big 'screw you' to the main family branch.

Of course this is all just speculation on my part, especially since I've never read the source material, but I've seen enough anime to sort of get that vibe from this, and I think it would explain the cult's motivations and why their stone was a 'subordinate' one. Maybe even the cult leader wants revenge on Juri's or Shouko's family for some reason or another, we still got, at least, another 7 or so episodes to find out, but I hope this clears some things up for you, despite how convenient these happenings are. Just keep in mind that without these convenient rules and explanations, the plot simply wouldn't exist, as is the case in a lot of anime nowadays with similar ass pulls because 'plot reasons.'
ZarialFeb 9, 2018 1:18 AM
No I don't read manga. Why? Because according to MAL manga readers, all anime is either: too rushed, too slow, anime original, or a terrible adaption. I like to enjoy anime for what it is, anime.
Feb 10, 2018 12:57 AM
Jan 2016
FireCrauter said:
DAT eyes

The brother did not turn out to be as useless as we all thought. At least he made Makoto escape and because of the advances it seems he did not die.
I hope he does not become Herald

I didn't like that face, reminds me The Last Airbender animation, too american
Feb 10, 2018 6:04 PM

Feb 2013
Crazy Now
Crazy Now
Crazy Now

@_@

It's like they're long lost friends reunited...
Feb 11, 2018 8:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The brother, the father and the mother were transformed in the "vigilants" because their moral was donw!!!
Feb 15, 2018 11:25 PM

Oct 2013
From what I can see, when the Master Stone activates, all the Stones create a field, and everything in the field can move in the static world.

So....From what I can see, there's a way to use this power to kill someone, and that's using the most cliched artifact a villian could use in an action movie: A countdown bomb.

like, lmao, just make a clock-bomb, time it, and use the Time Stone to freeze time when the bomb has like 3-6 seconds left.

Heralds btfo, world domination archieved, the NWO is defeated by middle-aged japanese men.

______

Now, something starting to bother me....that guy hired the most useless thugs of all history, they cannot outrun a Grandpa.

They're like drop outs from the Imperial Stormtrooper academy...
Feb 16, 2018 4:09 AM

Mar 2010
Zahylon said:
From what I can see, when the Master Stone activates, all the Stones create a field, and everything in the field can move in the static world.
thats right, but I think the little stone is a fragment of the big stone and not created separetlly.

So....From what I can see, there's a way to use this power to kill someone, and that's using the most cliched artifact a villian could use in an action movie: A countdown bomb.
if you try to use a time bomb the Heralds will kill you, they read the intent and act before you have the chance of actually doing it, plus anyway the bomb wont go of anyway.

like, lmao, just make a clock-bomb, time it, and use the Time Stone to freeze time when the bomb has like 3-6 seconds left.

Heralds btfo, world domination archieved, the NWO is defeated by middle-aged japanese men.

______

Now, something starting to bother me....that guy hired the most useless thugs of all history, they cannot outrun a Grandpa.
it is a grandpa that teleports away, they can't keep track of him, the moment he teleports, they can only guess where he teleported to, we can see easely where he teleported because we as the viwers get to often see it from an eagle point of view or either the frame moves with him, it is not an ease thask from the ground

They're like drop outs from the Imperial Stormtrooper academy...

?????? haaa, SW ??
Feb 16, 2018 2:33 PM

Oct 2013
LF2005 said:

thats right, but I think the little stone is a fragment of the big stone and not created separetlly.
Maybe all the stones were originally one really big stone

if you try to use a time bomb the Heralds will kill you, they read the intent and act before you have the chance of actually doing it, plus anyway the bomb wont go of anyway.
Debatable since you're not killing them in the Stasis world. It's mostly a theory, don't know how the Heralds would react to a Time Bomb.

it is a grandpa that teleports away, they can't keep track of him, the moment he teleports, they can only guess where he teleported to, we can see easely where he teleported because we as the viwers get to often see it from an eagle point of view or either the frame moves with him, it is not an ease thask from the ground
Yeah, but several times they just chased them in plain open ground. and those guys couldn't catch a grandpa. But, maybe Grandpa is really fit

????? haaa, SW ??

Yes, hahaha

Seriously, this anime villians are the most laughtable villians I've seen in a while
Feb 23, 2018 10:01 AM

Jun 2015
It's that easy to ask somebody for sex? brb
Feb 23, 2018 11:58 AM

Jul 2009
Shouko's past is very sad...so her family are all Herals now...
Feb 24, 2018 2:49 AM

Apr 2015
First sequence was one of the most bizarre ones I've ever seen.
Feb 26, 2018 3:57 AM
Absolute Zenith

Mar 2016
Majima got a really interesting past, and her family members seem to have become incomplete Heralds. On the other side, that guy sure knows how to make a great deal with Majima, too bad Juri released him from this stasis world...

Crap, Tsubasa was stabbed. Well, at least he did manage to protect his nephew so.
ShadowkillZFeb 26, 2018 4:09 AM
Mar 4, 2018 6:01 PM

Oct 2013
I'm sure the cliffhanger is a decoy as it has always been, yet... it wouldn't surprise me if not. I hope, though. Kill the father instead. D:

Juri should just knock her pops out of stasis considering how much trouble he's causing, not to mention that would protect him.

The "are you going to let me fuck you?" bit was incredible rofl. I know this is a seinen so it's not fair to compare it to non-seinen, but the overwhelming majority of anime would've had Majima scream BAAKAAAAA then beat him senselessly in an over the top attempt at comedy. This way was much more casual and believable. I loved it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Apr 7, 2018 3:48 PM

Apr 2014
At least the OP is dope.
Apr 8, 2018 9:42 AM

Apr 2014
Seems like the show is unravelling too quick, condsidering we still have a bit to go.
May 8, 2018 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
Makoto needs to learn situational awareness lol

Sucks for black hair girls' family
May 27, 2018 5:14 PM

May 2012
Oh damn that backstory and that actual reveal! Really epic and boy that ending! Looking forwards to see what's next.
Aug 9, 2022 4:05 AM

Sep 2010
Was getting a lot of information about the power of the stone
Oct 14, 2022 7:11 AM

May 2018
damn Tsubasa is still useless after all. I hope he awakens some ability soon
Nov 7, 2023 12:23 AM

Oct 2022
Hope that fat bastard of a dad ends up dead. Maybe thats a little harsh but he is what he is if he's going to help the bad guys out.
Sep 29, 9:12 AM
Mar 2021
C'est mignon tiens quel mélite
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2018

142 by JeanFranciss »»
Oct 13, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2018

67 by JeanFranciss »»
Oct 13, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2018

54 by JeanFranciss »»
Oct 13, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2018

61 by JeanFranciss »»
Oct 6, 9:21 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2018

45 by JeanFranciss »»
Oct 6, 9:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.