Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 25, 2017 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, this episode used a white and black color theme again although it doesn't feel like one of the previous episodes (episode 3 I believe)

I think this episode attempted to take an unique approach at the visual storytelling. Not sure how I feel about it tbh as I wasn't too impressed by the character relationship and development. Complicated feelings...
Stark700Aug 25, 2017 7:38 AM
Aug 25, 2017 7:59 AM

Jun 2015
This episode was trippy. It was mostly in black and white like another episode. There was some cool visuals. I think this was mostly about communication and how it is important. One of the characters is in a band that plays for deaf people and the other is an actor. There isn't a way for Haruto to help himself, so instead, he helps other people. Others naturally attract to him.
Aug 25, 2017 8:38 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Great episode on the topic of being deaf. Love all the visual keys (the text on screen, the grey scale opening up for a brighter colour scheme, the hearing aids).

I got goosebumps when i saw the deaf concert, that was powerful to me.

Haruto learning to open up, he unconsciously didn't listen to advice beforehand.
Aug 25, 2017 10:08 AM

Mar 2015
So true. I agree with her in many ways

I like Furina, I love Furina.
Aug 25, 2017 10:14 AM

Sep 2013
That deaf concert, the woman was trapped in ruble caused by a bombing, the ending makes it seem she made it out okay.
Haruto getting helped too, he was shutting out any outside comments before this.
That car accident might be what really happened to him.
Aug 25, 2017 10:26 AM
Jul 2017
this is the first episode where i didnt get what the hell was going on
Aug 25, 2017 10:30 AM
Jun 2016
Another strange, but amazing series.

Is it me, or is ther better then it should be for a anime about a ios game? But I so just....can't wait to see what is out each week, I will be sad when this is over.
Aug 25, 2017 11:50 AM

Sep 2015
Beautiful episode no need a word.
next time sound like a comedy but i can't trust the title alone for this anime.
Into the Internet!
Aug 25, 2017 11:54 AM
Aug 2017
Glad to see with this episode we are back on track as far as the animation and overall flow of the anime is concerned. Last week was a train wreck and they picked up the pieces this week.

It was a touching story, one that doesn't get much shine in anime, (as far as I am aware.) Shouts out to the directors for including the subtitles for those that may be deaf, it was a real nice touch. It really makes you think about how many fans don't get to enjoy this medium because of some disabilities.

The witches in turn helping the MC was nice, we got a little more into his psyche which was great.
Aug 26, 2017 6:15 AM

Dec 2015
A great episode about overcoming the struggles of being deaf that ties itself to the theme of the episode by subtitling everything. That is something that I have literally never seen in an anime before, points for creativity. Plus some amazing cinematography and nice music.

I feel like this show doesn't get even close enough to the credit it deserves.
Aug 26, 2017 7:31 AM
Oct 2014
so this episode confirmed that MC have a sleeping beauty illness too huh? I really enjoy this episode. 8/10 for the story. Can't wait to see how this show will be end:)
Aug 26, 2017 9:54 AM

Nov 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
A great episode about overcoming the struggles of being deaf that ties itself to the theme of the episode by subtitling everything. That is something that I have literally never seen in an anime before, points for creativity. Plus some amazing cinematography and nice music.

I feel like this show doesn't get even close enough to the credit it deserves.

I just second this, especially your last point, this show is trashing many of the more popular ones this season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 26, 2017 10:31 AM

Aug 2014
what a beautiful episode, loved it.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 26, 2017 11:39 AM

Jan 2017
18if constantly making me want to punch ppl that downgrade this anime. its a masterpiece.
Aug 26, 2017 6:16 PM
Aug 2016
The last two episodes have now concretely shown that this series does not intend to supply us with entirely-understandable (or even intelligible) stories, so the question that needs to be considered is this: Is the vague and nonsense nature of this show intentional? I currently think that it is, that this non-coherent approach to narrative is intended to mimic the uncanny nature of dreams themselves. I think we are not meant to be able to piece together a complete understanding of 18if's world, its characters, or its stories, and instead each episode is supposed to deliver to us a set of thematic and emotional ideas and lessons.

If this is indeed intentional though, then the more important question has to be asked: Do I like it? As of right now, I am... still not sure.
Aug 27, 2017 3:12 AM
Mar 2012
Doesn't top last ep, but very well directed compared to the rest.
Hearing disability & music themed. All the osts were very nice.
Deaf Vocal surprised me, such a cool idea with sign language.
The montage of OL going through hearing difficulties in real life was interesting, especially crowd noticing announcements well before she does, always behind.

It's a bit wordy, but the message is there. Singer made two witches, a negative aggressive one in the trippy bg, and the positive one at the waterfall. She went unconscious possibly when waiting a week in the rubble.
It's the first episode to describe Haruto's issues. He has selective hearing only toward nagative things, & always wants to help others. But he couldn't hear the positive persona (of the singer) at first since he just tuned out anything positive. It's like anorexics who don't accept any comment that they're actually thin.

Also, yay for SUBTITLES.
Aug 27, 2017 6:24 AM

Oct 2008
so should we sympathise with the deaf? suddenly i remember koe no katachi...
3/5.

Aug 27, 2017 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
PianoManGregory said:
The last two episodes have now concretely shown that this series does not intend to supply us with entirely-understandable (or even intelligible) stories, so the question that needs to be considered is this: Is the vague and nonsense nature of this show intentional? I currently think that it is, that this non-coherent approach to narrative is intended to mimic the uncanny nature of dreams themselves. I think we are not meant to be able to piece together a complete understanding of 18if's world, its characters, or its stories, and instead each episode is supposed to deliver to us a set of thematic and emotional ideas and lessons.

If this is indeed intentional though, then the more important question has to be asked: Do I like it? As of right now, I am... still not sure.

I think that's the point though. Dreams, by nature, are vague and nonsensical. They don't usually follow a coherent plot that has a proper beginning, middle and end and if they do, then it won't make sense. This dream seemed more surreal than most of what we got in the series, but it still plays up to the whole dream like nature of the show. The only thing each episode shared was Kanzaki, Haruto, and sometimes Lily. And the only thing we know is that they can enter someone's dreams and try to save the person who is suffering from sleeping beauty syndrome.

The world won't match up with each other because the directors are doing their own thing, but also because all of our dreams are different.

ichii_1 said:
That deaf concert, the woman was trapped in ruble caused by a bombing, the ending makes it seem she made it out okay.

For some reason I thought she died, since she's been trapped for a week underground. I like your view better though.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Aug 27, 2017 9:18 AM

May 2017
Wusabi said:
I really like the visuals and backgrounds, they reminded me of Escher's work, was this their intention?

I enjoyed this episode, we have seen something about the protagonist and the themes were okay.

I want to know more about Lily, because I have a theory...

It's just impossible to theorize at this point with little to nothing revealed imformation so far, but I'm pretty sure, "Lily" is not Kanzaki's sister, since he can't even see her, Haruto and Lily are probably not connected to Kanzaki or her sister, Kanzaki is just thinking the possibilities but is most likely wrong
Aug 27, 2017 11:03 PM
Oct 2016
Wusabi said:
I really like the visuals and backgrounds, they reminded me of Escher's work, was this their intention?

I enjoyed this episode, we have seen something about the protagonist and the themes were okay.

I want to know more about Lily, because I have a theory...

I totally have been thinking that for a long time now. By the way loved this episode. Perfect execution!!
But back to Haruto, I figured this a while back because they nevr gave a reason as to why Haruto, a male, is stuck in the dream world. I immediately figured he was truly female IRL and has SBS like the witches he's helping.
Aug 28, 2017 1:34 AM
Apr 2017
Immediately from the beginning of this ep I know it would touch Haruto background, but I thought it would be more than this.
I kinda know they can't hear the voice, aka understand each other just by the title from last week trailer. (Maybe due to the after effect of Koe no Katachi...)

But I just don't think this episode satisfy me enough, there is something missing which I can't point it out
Aug 29, 2017 4:54 PM

May 2009
correct me if I'm wrong but... no blue door = deaf girl died, right??

That aside, this episode was simply genius, I'm really loving this series.
Sep 1, 2017 2:13 PM

Mar 2009
PaulNamida said:
correct me if I'm wrong but... no blue door = deaf girl died, right??

That aside, this episode was simply genius, I'm really loving this series.

The whole being trapped under rubble thing seemed like a metaphor for her being deaf. I think she's fine.
Nov 12, 2017 7:02 AM

May 2012
A quite different kind of episode again, not too shabby if you ask me!
Jan 11, 2018 8:37 PM

Nov 2016
I took about a four month break from this show. This was the perfect episode to come back to because the beginning immediately reminded me of what the show's like: weirdly abstract and sometimes hard to get a grasp on. At times it feels unfocused, and others it touches on important issues, all be it with some strange formatting. Not entirely poignant, but not entirely pointless. Not entirely logical, but not entirely insane. It's 18if.
Jun 5, 2020 7:53 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Its about time Haruto had some development toward his story. Even if so little that i don't know how to interpret it. But atleast some little forwarding is enough to make sense of this little show.

Once again, Haruto messed up other girls dream. Now, a deaf one. Completely random, but its okay. What else can i expect with these show rather than a randomness? This episode proves more evidence, yet not enough to give full detail.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 6, 2020 6:50 PM

Jul 2016
This episode was pretty bad in my opinion, it may be that i just have wierd taste in episodes but my favroit episode in this show is episode 2 and so far nothing else has really came close, this episode reminded me a lot about episode 1 though! i basically was confused alost the entire episode... I got me a little curious on the Deaf concept but other than that it was pretty boring for me
Nov 19, 2021 11:21 AM

Jun 2015
I thought this episode would be in manga style because of the words on the screen. They turned out to be subtitles. This anime is getting better by the episode. I like that.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 26, 12:34 PM
Feb 2024
I never know whats going on in this anime. also im sick of them constantly saying something along the lines of "I'm GlAd I mEt YoU" a t the end of every episode. also why is the lily girl in the description of the show when she hasnt even been relevant yet

More topics from this board

Poll: » 18if Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2017

67 by hrodebert99 »»
Sep 28, 6:00 AM

Poll: » 18if Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2017

45 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 26, 12:48 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

90 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:43 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2017

39 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 3:27 PM

Poll: » 18if Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2017

48 by fiveguysshake »»
Feb 25, 2:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.