Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2015 8:24 PM
Jun 2014
So what did you all think of the series? Enjoyable or just too weird? Comment below!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 16, 2015 8:44 PM

Jul 2014
I enjoyed it but whaaaaat.

WHAAAAAT.

(Are we going to have a strawpoll soon for the next anime?)
Aug 16, 2015 10:53 PM
Jan 2015
I thought Lain was really enjoyable. I went in expecting something weird, but had no idea just how goddamn strange this show would turn out to be. Definitely dense material and I'm certain that there's a lot in there that I missed or didn't understand so I'll have to give this one another watch some time in the future.

I really enjoyed the kind of low budget art style and the way that it will often zoom way up close on characters' faces. It's also interesting to keep in mind that Lain was made in 1998 and the retro-futurism in the show is really cool - it feels really Matrix-y.

How about those first 10 minutes of episode 11? Just a long guitar track with a montage of the things that have led up to that point in the story. I feel like that was a take on a recap episode so that they could fill up time, but I actually found myself entertained throughout the whole thing. It's something I don't think would work in any other kind of show, but Lain is so off the rails from the get go that you accept whatever it throws at you.

There were a few plot points that I feel weren't fully addressed like the old guy in episode 6 (I think) talking about that experiment using the children, which I thought would come up further but seemed to be forgotten about. It could just be that there were things I didn't fully pick up on, Lain is a pretty strange beast so I know there are some.

What are your thoughts on it?
Aug 19, 2015 3:24 PM
Jun 2014
So erasing yourself from everyone's memories so that way everyone can have a better life, damn thats a huge sacrifice. Lain is a rare piece of art 10/10, I will for sure watch it again sometime in the near future.
Aug 19, 2015 9:16 PM

Aug 2014
Finally got to finish watching this. It all started making sense for me in the final 3-4 episodes. A truly unique series and it was a fun watch all the way;even the parts where my brain felt fried. Right now I have no idea how I would rate this but I'll be giving it a re-watch sometime later this year to try to see if I pick up some concepts that flew over my head during the first watch.
Aug 19, 2015 11:36 PM

Sep 2013
I definitely agree with the re-watch. Lain is an anime full of symbolism. The emphasis on the eyes and the obnoxious sound of the cables are what I remember. This is the only anime in my completed list that doesn't have a score. It's really hard to score something when you don't fully understand it's message.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Banner

Star-Dazzle - Jan 4, 2018

0 by Star-Dazzle »»
Jan 4, 2018 1:32 PM

» New Life In An Old Club?

Temporarity - Mar 16, 2017

0 by Temporarity »»
Mar 16, 2017 1:40 PM

» Rewatches?

PenguinsRTheory - Oct 28, 2015

1 by doolbie »»
Oct 28, 2015 1:46 PM

Sticky: » Haibane Renmei FINAL DISCUSSION

doolbie - Sep 29, 2015

1 by RealMagazzer »»
Sep 29, 2015 7:19 PM

» Haibane Renmei Discussion Episodes 9-10

doolbie - Sep 27, 2015

0 by doolbie »»
Sep 27, 2015 8:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.