Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 7, 2015 8:07 AM

Nov 2014
In manga or anime, do you like it when non-verbal communication is utilized, as in a thought or feeling being communicated through subtext, body language, or in some other ambiguous way? Is it ever a bad thing?

I usually like it. I feel that it adds a layer of realism and sometimes mystery to the characters.

One of my favorite shows to utilize non-verbal communication is Maria-sama ga Miteru (MariMite). There's so much going on behind the dialog, and a lot of actions are left open for you to think about. Why did so-and-so's mood shift? What's motivating her? Why did she just say what she said?

Side note: A lot of people see MariMite as a story about a bunch of lesbians. I don't think this is accurate. When you really break it down, there's probably only one lesbian couple in the entire series.
aikaflipMar 7, 2015 10:06 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 7, 2015 1:06 PM

Aug 2014
communication as only between characters or in a broader sense (ie, to the viewer; ie story-telling)?

both are great, my personal love being specially fleeting/succint examples.

yesterday, showing Death Parade 1st ep to sister and friends, i had to tell her she'd missed the most important scene on the whole episode, cause she turned her head as we saw Decim's surprised blue eye.

Madoka Magika comically lampshades it (if not really it) and has a fairly good deal of this.
Mar 7, 2015 5:31 PM

Nov 2014
alkchf said:
communication as only between characters or in a broader sense (ie, to the viewer; ie story-telling)?

Either one.

Madoka Magika comically lampshades it (if not really it) and has a fairly good deal of this.

I really need to see Madoka Magika again. I liked it the first time I saw it, but there's probably a lot that I missed. It was such a complex series.
Mar 18, 2015 6:38 PM

Nov 2013
Yo. I joined this club to answer this question and to shamelessly promote one of my favorite shows.

The clip above is from Zettai Shounen, a mystery and character-driven anime. It's a simple dialogue scene with no subs, but you'll probably notice something intriguing about it: only one character's face is shown, and for less than 10 seconds. The rest of the time, the camera is focused on their legs or their upper bodies. Even without seeing their facial expressions (which so many directors rely on), you can probably get a basic idea of how the two characters feel during the exchange by simply paying attention to their body language.

This style of nonverbal communication is used throughout the show, and I thought it really gave an extra dimension to the characters and helped cement the anime as one of my favorites.
Mar 19, 2015 3:07 AM

Nov 2014
Tienjt said:
Yo. I joined this club to answer this question and to shamelessly promote one of my favorite shows.

Lol. There's nothing wrong with that. Welcome!

The clip above is from Zettai Shounen, a mystery and character-driven anime. It's a simple dialogue scene with no subs, but you'll probably notice something intriguing about it: only one character's face is shown, and for less than 10 seconds. The rest of the time, the camera is focused on their legs or their upper bodies. Even without seeing their facial expressions (which so many directors rely on), you can probably get a basic idea of how the two characters feel during the exchange by simply paying attention to their body language.

This style of nonverbal communication is used throughout the show, and I thought it really gave an extra dimension to the characters and helped cement the anime as one of my favorites.

That's really fascinating.

It's nice when creators not only experiment with the writing, but also with creative ways to illustrate that writing. I think I need to see Zettai Shounen sooner than later.
Mar 23, 2015 1:28 AM

Feb 2013
When reading "Non-verbal communication", i instantly thought about Kunogi Ai from Shirobako. She has very few lines, and most of her communication is non-verbal.

There's also Mako from Kill la Kill. This .gif is fan-made, but she has a lot of scenes like that in the show. Hope you get the idea: http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/839/623/310.gif
Mar 23, 2015 4:34 AM

Nov 2014
Lmao! :D

Wait... Shirobako is an anime about an anime studio?! I need to watch this immediately.
May 27, 2015 12:06 PM

Aug 2014
In Kids on the Slope, you could watch the jazz performances and sort of feel how the characters feel through body language. The way they pull that off was amazing

Noir also used a lot of silence during dialouge to gain a certain affect and use the mood to express details about the characters
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Thank You

aikaflip - Sep 16, 2018

0 by aikaflip »»
Sep 16, 2018 10:26 AM

» Visually Impressive Anime

SaveTheAralSea - Feb 24, 2015

10 by aikaflip »»
Oct 6, 2016 1:53 AM

» LGBT representation

aikaflip - Feb 5, 2015

37 by aikaflip »»
Sep 17, 2016 10:11 AM

» Feminist Characters, Anime, and Manga

aikaflip - Feb 4, 2015

37 by satoneshichimiya »»
Jul 20, 2016 8:34 AM

» Characterization Society Discord Group

BadMediaKarma - Apr 14, 2016

1 by aikaflip »»
Apr 14, 2016 4:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.