Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is Yuri Kuma Arashi underrated?
Mar 17, 2015 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
This anime, now, is obviously underrated (should be 7.50 for me).
I really think that this is the 3rd masteripiece of Ikuahara.
Edit: when i say masterpiece i mean the symbolism, the unique story and the weirdness is amazing.
sorry for my bad english~
XenocrisiMar 17, 2015 9:29 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 17, 2015 9:20 AM

Oct 2008
I the "3rd masterpiece" out of 3 series in total....
Mar 17, 2015 9:21 AM

Jun 2011
Personally don't think of this as a masterpiece, but compared to the overrated ones, yes, this is indeed underrated. mandatory death parade sucks
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 17, 2015 9:25 AM

Dec 2013
Definitely. It's no where near being great or anything, but it's very interesting and unique if anything.
Mar 17, 2015 9:55 AM
Aug 2010
amateur said:

Sailor Moon/Sailor Moon R, Utena, Penguindrum, Yuri Kuma. I count more than three.

Mar 17, 2015 9:58 AM

Oct 2008
yurisses said:
amateur said:

Sailor Moon/Sailor Moon R, Utena, Penguindrum, Yuri Kuma. I count more than three.

He only joined the Sailor Moon later on in some episodes,he wasn't like the one involved in the writing/directing department.
Mar 17, 2015 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
It is always a classic MAL thread topic to want to talk about whether a given series
is underrated.

However, I think that in the case of Yurikuma, there is a specific reason why it is
ending up with a lower rating than it realistically deserves. Any time that there is
a new Yuri genre series, some MAL users get attracted to the threads just to make
very negative comments about Yuri in general. This is much, much less of a problem
than it was last year when "Sakura Trick" came out. The amount of Yuri-hate on
the threads was so much that it created a lot of work for the moderators.

Even if we aren't seeing nearly as much trolling for Yurikuma, I suspect that many
of these same people are giving low ratings to the series based only on reading
the first word of the title of the series, let alone actually watching Episode 1.
Mar 17, 2015 2:05 PM

Jan 2015
okanagan said:
It is always a classic MAL thread topic to want to talk about whether a given series
is underrated.

However, I think that in the case of Yurikuma, there is a specific reason why it is
ending up with a lower rating than it realistically deserves. Any time that there is
a new Yuri genre series, some MAL users get attracted to the threads just to make
very negative comments about Yuri in general. This is much, much less of a problem
than it was last year when "Sakura Trick" came out. The amount of Yuri-hate on
the threads was so much that it created a lot of work for the moderators.

Even if we aren't seeing nearly as much trolling for Yurikuma, I suspect that many
the first word of the title of the series, let alone actually watching Episode 1.

Yes, i totally agree with you. I have to say that the genre Yuri in general is underrated frim what i see. But what makes me angry realli is seeing the people the didn't watch yet the first ep and rated it with 1~3...and all the people that dropped this awesome anime at the first episode...saying that is a mix of all anime, but this is shit.
;(
Mar 17, 2015 3:46 PM

Feb 2010
okanagan said:

People shouldn't be allowed to vote on:
- dropped
- unfinished
- not yet aired shows
-- or at least rate the series that you WANT to finish (I have rated one anime 10, then I have changed it to 9)

Xenocrisi said:
yet the first ep and rated it with 1~3...and all the people that dropped this awesome anime at the first episode...saying that is a mix of all anime, but this is shit.
;(

From your (only 1 anime):
Dropped:
Zettai Bouei Leviathan
Rating: 1
Episodes: 2/13

...are you an hypocrite?
Mar 17, 2015 11:09 PM

Jan 2015
[spoiler]
Wannabiteme said:
okanagan said:

People shouldn't be allowed to vote on:
- dropped
- unfinished
- not yet aired shows
-- or at least rate the series that you WANT to finish (I have rated one anime 10, then I have changed it to 9)

Xenocrisi said:
yet the first ep and rated it with 1~3...and all the people that dropped this awesome anime at the first episode...saying that is a mix of all anime, but this is shit.
;(

From your (only 1 anime):
Dropped:
Zettai Bouei Leviathan
Rating: 1
Episodes: 2/13

...are you an hypocrite?
[/quote]
I hated it... Anyway i dropped it 2 years ago so i don't remember exactly what i dropped and i don't have the mentality of 2 years ago...and i never said that i don`t do it too, but i hate it
Edit : If you want to discuss with me use a PM, this is a thread for an anime and not a "Xeno`s anime list thread".
XenocrisiMar 17, 2015 11:43 PM
Mar 18, 2015 1:13 AM

Oct 2012
Xenocrisi said:
I have to say that the Yuri genre in general is underrated from what
I see.

Agreed.

My impression is that Yuri is the genre that seems to attract the most hateful
comments on MAL forums. Any time there is some new Yuri series announced
in a news thread, there are the inevitable obscene posts.

There are many anime genres which only a few people like. But normally, the
people who dislike those shows just ignore them and stay off the MAL thread.
Also, they don't vote for the MAL rating.

To get a sense of the amount of hatred direct at Yuri, here are two Google
site searches that I did:

site:myanimelist.net "yurishit"
site:myanimelist.net "yuri shit"

Sorry, but I'm not saying anything negative directed at MAL users. It is just
that I am most familiar with the discussions here on MAL. Also, I don't object
to people using four-letter words in their MAL posts. But it is better if they
also include some more details to explain the reason for their criticism.
Mar 18, 2015 1:34 AM

Mar 2012
Yes, definitely. Highschool DxD should shave off two points and give them to Yuri Kuma.

Mar 18, 2015 6:47 AM

Feb 2010
okanagan said:

To get a sense of the amount of hatred direct at Yuri, here are two Google
site searches that I did:

site:myanimelist.net "yurishit"
site:myanimelist.net "yuri shit"

site:myanimelist.net "yurishit" => 158
site:myanimelist.net "yuri shit" => 178
site:myanimelist.net "yuri" => 114 000
So it's only 0,29%
I guess I should trust you as you seems more into yuri than I (you write/read more topics).

@Xenocrisi
I mentioned your list because you are the same person as the people you get angry at.
Mar 18, 2015 7:10 AM

Jul 2014

Ah, Animemaru. The most credible source of anime related information on the internet.

I guess it isn't underrated, after all.
Mar 18, 2015 7:26 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Animemaru is my encyclopedia of right and wrong
Mar 18, 2015 8:43 AM

Jan 2010
I personally think Yuri Kumi really is underrated. It certainly deserves more love. The story and the setting are actually really good. I think that most people just get too easily annoyed by the initial randomness and the way the story is told through a mixture of distant past, near past and current events.
And no, I'm not praising it because I'm a big yuri fan. I don't even watch it for the yuri. For me that's just some lovely extra. I just really like the show. This and Rolling Girls are my favorite anime this season.
Mar 18, 2015 6:21 PM

Mar 2009
Like the person above me said, it certainly deserves more love; and, for some reason, it seems to be getting a lot of unjustified hate all over. I've seen people call Ikuhara a pretentious hack, etc. I guess people REALLY hated Penguindrum.

Oh, well. Their loss. As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad anime auteurs like Ikuhara are still around.
Mar 18, 2015 10:48 PM

Mar 2012
Animemaru is fucking terrible. They're trying too hard to be be the anime version of actually funny sites like The Onion, Clickhole and Kayfabe news but they don't really seem to get why those sites are so funny. All their articles are either some manchild venting because they can't stand the fact that people have different opinions to them on some cartoon in the most passive aggressive manner possible, unfunny several year old western anime community memes (ur waifu is shit hahaha XDDDDD), cringeworthy attempts at copying The Onion's style of humour with an anime twist or a combination.

More to the point, why are they parodying the western anime community when they're among one of the worst sectors of it? That's like Ubisoft making fun of Activision for being money grabbing Jews who don't care about the quality of their games.

I know they say humour is subjective but if you find Animemaru articles make you laugh more than something like this I seriously question your sense of humour.

Mar 18, 2015 11:45 PM

Jan 2015
3 days ago Yuri Kuma---->6.55
2 days ago Yuri Kuma---->6.54
1 day ago Yuri Kuma----->6.55
Now Yuri Kuma----------->6.54
Oh c'mon guys
XenocrisiMar 19, 2015 3:07 AM
Mar 19, 2015 4:57 AM

Feb 2010
Kodomo_R said:
I personally think Yuri Kumi really is underrated. It certainly deserves more love. The story and the setting are actually really good. I think that most people just get too easily annoyed by the initial randomness and the way the story is told through a mixture of distant past, near past and current events.

After initial randomness they "drag out" some stuffs too.

@SeibaaHomu
So that's why their articles are so "weird". I laughed at their articles because they are stupid. Your movie is boring.

In my opinion, 6 or 7 is what this anime should get.
Mar 19, 2015 5:10 AM

Jul 2007
Without a doubt yes.

Durarara, Yuri Kuma Arashi and Junketsu No Maria are the ONLY shows worth watching this season.

It is sad that people are either not thinking enough(and used to everything being spoonfed to them) to get this or just ignore it due to the title.
Mar 19, 2015 5:33 AM

Mar 2012
Wannabiteme said:
@SeibaaHomu
So that's why their articles are so "weird". I laughed at their articles because they are stupid. Your movie is boring.
Honestly it doesn't sound like English is your first language so I don't even know if it's morally right for me to make fun of you for only laughing at dumb stuff that relates to your hobbies.
Mar 19, 2015 5:48 AM
Mar 2014
Don't think it's underrated, no. If anything, I think it's Ikuhara's most shallow (and otherwise subpar) work yet.
But anyway, if you can only see things in terms of "overrated" and "underrated", you should try to work on that. It's not very fun.
Mar 19, 2015 8:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think I would like it more if it didn't have such cringeworthy phrases everywhere

Shabadadoo
Kuma shock!
Gao gao~
That is sexy~
Deliciousmell
Etc

It's so awkward to listen to
Mar 19, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2015
HaXXspetten said:
I think I would like it more if it didn't have such cringeworthy phrases everywhere

Shabadadoo
Kuma shock!
Gao gao~
That is sexy~
Deliciousmell
Etc

Are so funny for me...this is what makes unique and weird Yuri Kuma Arashi.
I think even if this anime is underated or overrated will surely be the most weird anime this year.
Mar 19, 2015 11:34 AM

Jul 2007
HaXXspetten said:

Shabadadoo
Kuma shock!
Gao gao~
That is sexy~
Deliciousmell
Etc

Every Ikuhara work has "catch phrases" or repeated actions or words that define characters. Its part of its charm.
Mar 19, 2015 11:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
CookingPriest said:
HaXXspetten said:

Shabadadoo
Kuma shock!
Gao gao~
That is sexy~
Deliciousmell
Etc

Every Ikuhara work has "catch phrases" or repeated actions or words that define characters. Its part of its charm.
I have no recollection of any of the ones in Penguindrum making me want to hold my head in agony though...
Mar 19, 2015 12:26 PM

Feb 2010
SeibaaHomu said:
Wannabiteme said:
@SeibaaHomu
Honestly it doesn't sound like English is your first language so I don't even know if it's morally right for me to make fun of you for only laughing at dumb stuff that relates to your hobbies.

Why do you think this movie (youtube) is funny?
Mar 19, 2015 1:26 PM

Mar 2013
This might be one of the most underrated show ever,with Aku no Hana

Mar 19, 2015 2:55 PM

Jan 2015
I wonder if the people who said "no" are people that are currently watching this show and they don't enjoy a lot it or if are random haters that probably never watched the 1st episode
Mar 19, 2015 3:37 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Xenocrisi said:
I wonder if the people who said "no" are people that are currently watching this show and they don't enjoy a lot it or if are random haters that probably never watched the 1st episode
I'm quite sure there genuinely exist people who actually don't like stuff regardless of which series you happen to be analyzing
Mar 19, 2015 5:47 PM

Mar 2012
HaXXspetten said:

Shabadadoo
Kuma shock!
Gao gao~
That is sexy~
Deliciousmell
Etc

> Complaining about catchphrases in an Ikuhara show

Mar 20, 2015 1:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Uhm yeah, Ikuhara or not it doesn't change the fact that it's hurting my ears. And I have not had this problem with his shows before either so it's evidentially not about his general writing style but just this show specifically.

Also that's not an excuse anyway. Let's say a show had some random out-of-nowhere character death that everybody hated. Then it turns out that oh, it was written by Urobuchi, well then it makes sense right? Maybe so, but it doesn't make the scene itself any better. If something sucks, then it sucks, regardless of who happened to write it.

Really don't get me wrong here, I like Ikuhara and his general writing style. But Yuri Kuma specifically is just a train wreck. I wanted to like it and I tried to defend it during the first couple episodes but before too long I couldn't even pretend to like it anymore. It's just... not a very good anime. I can't really phrase it any simpler than that.
Mar 20, 2015 4:06 AM

Mar 2012
I should go watch a Michael Bay movie and complain about how it's too loud and has too many explosions.

I seriously doubt you tried very hard to defend it if the catchphrases were a deal breaker. There are very few criticisms I can say are completely 100% subjective and have nothing to do with whether or not it's any good but that's most certainly one of them.
SeibaaHomuMar 20, 2015 4:11 AM
Mar 20, 2015 4:13 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Oh, no I don't like the story or the characters either. The animation and the ED is about all it's worth watching for. But those things are at least issues that I can live with since it's pretty common to see, but in this case the dialogue is what stands out as being way worse than just about everything else so that's what I react to the most.

It's more that I really wanted this show to good and I had high hopes for it but I mostly ended up disappointed.
Mar 20, 2015 4:35 AM

Mar 2012
Well there's a very clear distinction between not liking a show because it did something wrong and not liking it because it's just not your thing. You use terms like 'trainwreck' which makes it out as if the show failed colossally at achieving its goal but your actual criticisms are more love it or hate it sort of things.
Mar 20, 2015 6:50 PM

Oct 2012
Is it a train wreck?

Speaking of art in general, I can think of five kinds:

1. The artist creates it on a volunteer basis simply for personal reasons.
2. Artist creates it on an unpaid basis to win a contest judged by artists.
3. The artist is hired by a wealthy patron, but the patron doesn't sell it.
4. Artist is paid by the government and its merits are government-judged.
5. Work (call it "art" or not) is created and marketed on a commercial basis.

For good or bad, the anime series that we watch are of the fifth type. Rather
than using subjective descriptions, one scale of success of such anime series
are the "Amazon Stalker points". These are a kind of measure of how many
Blu-rays people buy. In turn, that is a crude indication of how much money
the series made for the production company. That then feeds the animators.

Here are the "Amazon Stalker points" as of ten minutes ago:

Volume 1 Mar 25 Regular-edition Blu-ray 964 points
Volume 2 Apr 25 Regular-edition Blu-ray 709 points
Volume 3 May 27 Regular-edition Blu-ray 845 points

I like to follow the Amazon Stalker points for the anime series that I watch,
just as a fun activity like watching a horse race. There are a lot of people
on MAL who are really good at interpreting these numbers, combining other
sources of information and putting it all into perspective. I hope they will
comment. For the moment, my tentative appraisal is that the phrases "train
wreck", "crashed and burned", "smoking hole in the ground" and "unmitigated
disaster" MIGHT all apply.

I never studied Art History. But I suspect that a lot of the greatest art is done
by artists who work for wealthy patrons. It only costs about $US 2 million to
make a one-cour anime series. See here:
http://www.crunchyroll.ca/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make

In my country, our government used to spend a great deal of public money to
pay animators to create work. Maybe that is a good way of doing it. Maybe not.

I don't know what was in the mind of Ikuhara. But possibly he wants to keep
making money directing anime series. If so, then one of his objectives would
be to make an anime series that is commercially successful. At this point, it
appears that he might have failed. I suspect that he will never ever be put
into the twin roles of director and writer again. Frankly, most of the paying
work he has done consists of tasks done by a fairly junior person.* I am just
guessing that he will be going back to that starting next month.

On the other hand, maybe he had another objective which was to create the
best Central-element Yuri anime series since Utena. Success or failure of that
is subjective, I suppose, but I think he accomplished it.

So... it wasn't a train wreck.

- - - - - - - - - -

* This Japanese-language Wikipedia article lists the work that Ikuhara has done
. .during his career and I believe that it is intended to be comprehensive:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6
Here is some more stuff about him, all in Japanese:
http://www19.atwiki.jp/enshutsu/pages/317.html
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6
http://dic.pixiv.net/a/%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6
http://www.weblio.jp/wkpja/content/%E5%B9%BE%E5%8E%9F%E9%82%A6%E5%BD%A6_%E5%8F%82%E5%8A%A0%E4%BD%9C%E5%93%81

- - - - - - - - - -

If anybody is interested in Amazon Stalker points, here are two relevant links:
https://bakalaureate.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/guest-post-anime-and-sales-analysis-by-yuyucow/
http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index2.cgi?sort=rankup
okanaganMar 20, 2015 7:14 PM
Mar 23, 2015 8:52 AM

Sep 2014
I don't think so. The main point that makes me mad is the constant use of "love for a person" when they actually mean "egoistic urge to possess said person without any regards to the feelings of that person". And the show doesn't show that it is meant to provoke thoughts. It makes me sick. I will finish it but it is probably the worst show I will have finished to that date.
Mar 23, 2015 10:28 AM
Apr 2013
This series is very underrated in my personal opinion, but it really isn't everyone's thing. If you're not the type who appreciates symbolism and prefers taking your anime at face value, then you'll hate this.

I really and truly love this series, though. The art, characters, setting, and plot are all wonderful. It's going to be an easy 9 when it ends but I know I'll be in the minority saying that.

But, admittedly part of my bias is that I'm a lesbian who's tired of class S "yuri" in every all-female show I watch, where they may as well be together but they'll never be anything more than just friends. That's a subject this show tackles, girls being extremely close friends in Japan to the point of romantic love but eventually falling away from each other due to expectations placed upon their shoulders of marriage and a "normal" life with a man. This is one of the few shows I've watched that does yuri well while managing to touch on serious, real-life topics at the same time, the other being Aoi Hana. Ikuhara had his hand in Aoi Hana as well, so I'm gonna say he's a master at his yuri craft.

But yeah, I really enjoy that I feel like a natural part of the target audience, like I'm supposed to be watching this, and I sadly don't feel that way about a lot of anime with GL. I watch it and think, 'These shows aren't for me, are they? They're for male otaku' but I keep watching because if I stopped for that reason, I'd only have a handful of shows left to watch.

And hey, bonus points for a lesbian who's past the age of 17 in an anime! Gonna miss you, Yuriika. You deserved better.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoMar 23, 2015 10:45 AM
Mar 23, 2015 1:55 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm. I guess I will give this show a try after I watch the other Kunihiko Ikuhara series.
Mar 23, 2015 1:57 PM

Oct 2012
StevenHu said:
Hmm. I guess I will give this show a try after I watch the other Kunihiko Ikuhara series.
That might ruin it for you, I watch Penguindrum halfway through the season and then when I watched Yuri Kuma again it just obviously wasn't as good and I sorta lost interest.
Mar 23, 2015 1:59 PM

Dec 2013
Kuu shock is one of the best thing ever.

But eh, I also tried to like it, but in the end, being more intriguing than some shit harem doesn't make a show good. I don't even know what the problem is, it's just inherently meh.
Mar 23, 2015 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
Feaor said:
StevenHu said:

That might ruin it for you, I watch Penguindrum halfway through the season and then when I watched Yuri Kuma again it just obviously wasn't as good and I sorta lost interest.

Ah, I see. That is somewhat disappointing to hear but very much expected.

I will probably still go at the show that way though since I try to watch a famous creator's works in chronological order as much as possible.
Mar 23, 2015 3:10 PM

Oct 2009
yes. its the best anime of the season for me. a masterpiece.
Mar 23, 2015 9:06 PM

Sep 2012
for a yuri show this one is amusing

Mar 24, 2015 4:18 AM

Jun 2013
This is way underrated, it should have at least a 7.3 imo! Its so much better than alot of other higher rated shows this season
Mar 30, 2015 4:26 AM

Jan 2015
7.11? Lol, what happened, the last ep of Yurikuma didn't yet aired and...xD
Yes, ok, is still underrated but it's a step xP
XenocrisiMar 30, 2015 4:30 AM
Mar 30, 2015 4:44 AM

Sep 2011
A bit. Maybe 7.3 max even though I don't really like the series.
Mar 30, 2015 7:55 AM
Jul 2018
I've been an Ikuhara fan since my early days of anime fandom, but Yuri Kuma Arashi is simply not that good. I like it, but I think that mostly has to do with loving Ikuhara's distinctive style and not with the show itself being great. Not a trainwreck, but it's not up to par. Not underrated at all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

161 by zoluer »»
Aug 9, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.