Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2014 7:06 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, there is hope for Eiichrou! Nothing is impossible of course.
Stark700Aug 13, 2014 2:41 PM
Aug 13, 2014 3:07 PM

Mar 2008
Damn, nice work by Maruo. It was a close one, but now it's an even chance to win. The psychological edge of getting back into this could be key.

In the end he wasn't the one who made a mistake there. Should be a fun to see how this turns out.
Aug 13, 2014 3:45 PM

May 2013
That was a close one. Onto the final set.
Aug 13, 2014 3:50 PM

Aug 2010
Amazingly done Maruo :D Dat quick serve was epic!

Can't wait to see how this goes. Loving this match so far.
Aug 13, 2014 4:14 PM

Jul 2009
This was intense, I forgot this was the 2nd set!
Aug 13, 2014 9:02 PM

Dec 2011
WOW great chapter and good job for Ei-chan to hold this 2nd set.Now for the final and decisive one....this is gonna to be long may be another 10+ chapters
Aug 13, 2014 11:40 PM

Aug 2010
I heard the match ends at 234
Aug 14, 2014 2:51 AM

Sep 2012
im sad it ended there but atleast we know he won the set, now we need another 2 months to see if how he wins.
Aug 17, 2014 11:19 AM

Jan 2013
Yay, he won the second set.
If only there was somewhere with sloppy translations that didn't bother cleaning up.
Just write the translations to the side and number each panel.
Jun 10, 2017 1:33 PM

Jul 2013
Mannn that struggle bus set. But now that he's got a fresh set to play around with, i'm expecting good things.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 12, 2018 9:58 PM

Jun 2016
I don't think I've ever been that stressed out over a Baby Steps match. That was brutal. Maruo was hardly holding while Ogata was holding cleanly until near the end. I referenced how this was going similar to his first match with Nabae and he even echoed my thoughts at the start of the set. Maruo is totally out of his comfort zone being forced to mimic Okada's absurdly hard jumping shots(with a weak flashback showing how) and Natsu's hard to mimic intuitive play. But he was able to hold until tie breaker. I loved how he Maruo thought to himself "IF I'M GOING TO LOSE I HAVE TO DO IT!", when regarding doing something absolutely out of his comfort zone. He was forced to the corner so when 1, 2, 3 and 4 didn't work he went in with an option 5 to buy some time. If anything this is a great set for illuminating the power of will power, the drive for victory. No matter how hard it is, no matter how little he's used to it, if he's going to lose otherwise there is no question, he ought to do it. He's fighting for his life and there is no doubt about it. His eyes are scary when he's in this mode and it looks like he permanently is.

Another piece of wisdom I adore is "even if the jump shots don't go in, the simple fact that I have that firepower is creating other side effects", the side effects being fear, hesitation, mistakes, and respect. It circumvented what Ogata could do whether they were going in or not since it brought the possibility of a winner at any time anywhere on the table. You don't need to use your trump card constantly, all you need to do is show them its a possibility.

I adore Baby Steps characterization of both sides of a match, and in this fight the big thing to mention is how we get a glimpse of Ogata's girlfriend cheering and wanting the best for him. He has ambitions that he cannot lose for, he has a coach/mom and a girlfriend behind him supporting everything he does, and he's ready to do his best and accept the outcome. I love it and it makes these matches more real than anything else. The opponent and our protagonist are human, the opponent isn't just an obstacle for our protagonist to beat. We even saw Ogata's composure crack at times with his hesitation leading to mistakes like the double fault in the tiebreaker.

I love the imagery of comparing sports players to tigers, or robots, or another form of personification. It's always intense and I wish Baby Steps would do it more. The tiger behind Ogata makes him that much more threatening.

The way Maruo saw the rain as his chance and took the point was amazing. He truly has what it takes to go pro, a will to win that surpasses all else. That on the fly decision got him the point and if not for his planned next serve I bet he would have lost..

I had viewed this set as the biggest uphill battle Maruo has climbed yet. There was nearly no time of security or victory. It was as if Maruo was trying not to drown for an entire set! So, for him to overcome this, become more confident in his data, more composed, better at the jump shot, and have a clean slate, I think the final set will not be half as scary as this one was.
May 20, 7:59 PM

Mar 2014
WOOO LET'S GO MARUOOOO

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 455 Discussion

Kuma - May 22, 2023

10 by killerqueen2000 »»
Aug 14, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 454 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 447 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 409 Discussion

Kuma - Mar 8, 2021

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 392 Discussion

Kuma - Aug 17, 2020

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.