Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 20, 2014 5:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Panic already huh?

That felt fast. Decent episode again. For these kids, being in the air is their dream and fear the same time. I'm still curious to see how far the romance will go though. Dat loss. I also like how the episode opens up each time with the brief narration.
Stark700Jan 20, 2014 5:34 AM
Jan 20, 2014 7:32 AM

Oct 2010
I really wish Claire would speak up against that blonde noble douche, if she's not interested then bloody tell him, her silence is rather annoying. Other than that, I had hoped Ignacio's character would be explored in this episode, but we got Kal-El's past instead. Not a bad trade I suppose.
Jan 20, 2014 7:43 AM

Aug 2010
Really good episode ^^

Loved the back story. I was wondering if Kal remembers everything about his childhood and it seems so from this ep.

His past was pretty sad. I still don't get why Kal hates Nina Viento to that extent though.
I get that she's the one who made those hurricanes that destroyed everything but she was still a child. I don't think u could say it's completely her fault. Unless some other stuff will be revealed later on. Loved how his dad adopted him though :D

And seems like Claire is confirmed to be Nina? Or not yet? She's starting to be suspicious about Kal's identity though. I still wonder how she knows Ignacio?

Well the end had the noble acting like an ass and it resulted in them being stranded in the middle of a stormy sea. Let's see how they'll deal with this problem and if these 2 will get the chance to talk?

Claire is still Kawaiii <3 I would've preferred if she told that noble off too -.-
Jan 20, 2014 7:54 AM

Nov 2012
Quite a past for Kal. I certainly get why he hates Nina, and she could see it in his eyes thats for sure.

Pretty heartwarming how he gets saved as a child.

Nobles bullying and throwing them off course. Stranded in ocean with a storm on the way naturally.

Should be some bonding for Kal and Claire next episode.
Jan 20, 2014 7:57 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah it did seem fast but it's good. I'm just hoping the revenge thing is real. By that i mean that he won't tell Claire about his revenge while they're stranded or anyone else for that matter. If he does and says ''I forgive you'' to Nina Viento then this series will fall in my eyes.

@Barion-Zara.. you know he saw his dad get beheaded and his mother was taken away in a pig-wagon or smth. She's the reason his parents died.

I doubt Nina is Claire. They're too different. Btw where did you get the idea from anyway? I mean they're totally different.
Jan 20, 2014 8:06 AM

Nov 2012
Barion-Zara said:

And seems like Claire is confirmed to be Nina? Or not yet? She's starting to be suspicious about Kal's identity though. I still wonder how she knows Ignacio?

That's what I was kinda thinking too. If so, I also hope he doesn't talk about his revenge as previous poster said. Those two building up a big relationship and then him finding out suddenly would be just too juicy.
Jan 20, 2014 8:13 AM
Dec 2013
I wonder how Nina Viento will play a role now, I somehow sense a romance coming. Maybe she likes Kal? One sided relationship? anyways, Nina didn't seem to detest Kal in the flashblack when his face was literally on her foot.
Jan 20, 2014 8:15 AM
Dec 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Really good episode ^^

Loved the back story. I was wondering if Kal remembers everything about his childhood and it seems so from this ep.

His past was pretty sad. I still don't get why Kal hates Nina Viento to that extent though.
I get that she's the one who made those hurricanes that destroyed everything but she was still a child. I don't think u could say it's completely her fault. Unless some other stuff will be revealed later on. Loved how his dad adopted him though :D

Well the end had the noble acting like an ass and it resulted in them being stranded in the middle of a stormy sea. Let's see how they'll deal with this problem and if these 2 will get the chance to talk?

Claire is still Kawaiii <3 I would've preferred if she told that noble off too -.-

Im not really sure about Claire being Nina, if I recall correctly, we saw a glimpse of Nina in the first episode I believe, when they were doing the fly over the island.
Jan 20, 2014 8:21 AM

May 2013
Nice episode.
Kal had a pretty sad past, first his father gets beheaded then his mother, seeing someone get beheaded or just thinking about it is really scary and sad at the same time, especially when it's loved ones.
Jan 20, 2014 8:23 AM
Jul 2013
I liked that have explained the past Kal-el and his former family and the role that Nina Viento has in the series. Also, got an unexpected end to the episode.

The way to express Kal was a subtle scene:
http://i40.tinypic.com/200ebme.jpg
Jan 20, 2014 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
Ahh so that's Ignacio's connection with Kal. Hateful kid is still hateful after all those years. I was totally off from my guess last week haha. Didn't expect they'd actually use that saint stuff. Now we got religion in the mix too? Hmm...the people saw Nina Viento as some holy being that should be worshiped. Kal's family refused to acknowledge her. Believers went to town to kill the heretics (royal family). Kal's parents died. Nina Viento went on to unite three kingdoms under an alliance.

No wonder Kal wants to take revenge on NV so badly. His dad got beheaded. His mom guillotined. He would have been too if not for his Papa Albus. Really kind of him to save Kal. It washed away a little of that bad taste left from Kal's parents' scenes.

I hope Nina isn't Claire's split personality or something >___>
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 20, 2014 8:39 AM

Aug 2010
Shiniela said:

@Barion-Zara.. you know he saw his dad get beheaded and his mother was taken away in a pig-wagon or smth. She's the reason his parents died.

I doubt Nina is Claire. They're too different. Btw where did you get the idea from anyway? I mean they're totally different.

I haven't read the original source but might be considered a spoiler...

I actually don't really want them to be the same but...

And like I mentioned before...I know she's the cause but for now she was just a kid so it's not necessarily her fault unless some events prove that she's an evil hearted bitch from her childhood [which I doubt] For now I'll think she was controlled by adults...Well nxt ep pv seemed to have young Kal meeting loli Nina again so maybe that will make us know why for sure ^^
Jan 20, 2014 8:51 AM

Nov 2012
Shiniela said:

Claire keeps giving off some subtle body language(at least it seems to me) when they were talking about Karl and the wind revolution, plus when he was staring at Nina's painting.

Also doubt it's really a spoiler but
Jan 20, 2014 9:17 AM
Jan 2011
Oh my, looks like what happen to Kel's parents is the same as to what happen to King Lois XIII.

Looks like , he looking for pay back as well, I wonder what's he gonna do when he finds out that Clair is Nina Vineto?
Nasty001Jan 20, 2014 9:32 AM
Jan 20, 2014 9:28 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty good episode. Nice to see most of Kal's background story, though it's traumatizing. Holding a deep grudge on Nina huh, though needs more info on why he hates her really much. Now they get lost in the middle of the sea, wonder how they will pull it off next episode.

Jan 20, 2014 9:57 AM

Sep 2013
Some good backstory this episode, Ignacio must remember Kal-el.

Well that ending was unexpected.
Jan 20, 2014 10:10 AM

Apr 2013
Nice learning about Kal's past. His childhood as a prince was pretty sad. Glad Ariel's dad was there to take him in.
Jan 20, 2014 10:44 AM

Sep 2013
there is something i didnt understand , why Clair was able to see the route when they get into the clouds?
Jan 20, 2014 11:00 AM

May 2013
What a sad past for Kal. Now both him and Claire are stranded. Hopefully they can make it back safe and sound.
Jan 20, 2014 11:03 AM

Jul 2012
Best episode so far. Solid backstory setting things up.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 20, 2014 11:21 AM

Jul 2013
I really liked the dark part of this episode, I dont know why xd
Jan 20, 2014 11:43 AM

Dec 2012
Backstory explained a lot of things. The bullying part is kinda annoying but look at it this way; it means more bonding time between Kal and Claire. Who isn't up for that?
Jan 20, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2012
From what I can tell...

Nina isn't the true enemy in this. I get the sense she's being used like a puppet behind the scenes. Oh sure, I do think she has some sort of revenge set on her mind (at least in the flashback), but I don't think she's the one calling all the shots.

As for Kal-el/Karl, I think he doesn't quite see it that way either, wanting revenge on Nina at all costs.

I'm interested in seeing where this series is going because of the minor details displayed in the flashback. Kal-el noted that when they were parading around, that the look in people's eyes were full of emptiness and contempt. Perhaps, Kal-el's father wasn't such a good guy but since he was a naive child, he didn't see that. Perhaps that is also the reason why his mother didn't put up much of a struggle. She knew that what he was doing during his rule was wrong and that they should be punished. Of course, this series hasn't elaborated on what that "wrong" could be, but I do get the sense that there's more to the Ballesteros situation than this series is letting on.

This series seems a little bit underrated in my book. While sure, it doesn't have remarkable production values, I do find the stories and the characters to be quite fascinating.
Jan 20, 2014 12:04 PM

Apr 2013
Really good episode. Wish it lasted longer, can't wait for the next one.
His mother's story is too sad...
Jan 20, 2014 12:10 PM

Sep 2013
man this show continues to impress :)

kal's past ,___, that prison guard is such a bro
really hope claire learns to reject that noble ugh

also hoping that claire doesn't turn out to be nina or something
kal would practically die of heartbreak :L give the guy a break
Jan 20, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2009
Barion-Zara said:
I still don't get why Kal hates Nina Viento to that extent though. [...] And seems like Claire is confirmed to be Nina?

1. Imagine if ur kingdom, people & family gets destroyed & u knew exactly who did it. I'm sure u will hold a grudge against this person

2. Claire is clearly not Nina. Just simply look at their hair color and height.

=================
Episode Thoughts:
9:16 for some reason, it feels like the fat kid talking will end up dying…

14:29 karl's head looks oversided for a kid

---------------
Overall:
1. It's hard to tell the difference between a noble & commoner based only on appearance.

2. Karl's backstory is interesting, but her sister was never shown when he was a kid.

3. Liking the pace of the series so far.

Ep3: 7/10
Jan 20, 2014 12:30 PM

Jul 2013
I'm really enjoying this show so far. Karl's backstory was very sad, I can understand why he hates Nina Viento.

So that Ignacio guy still recognizes him from back then huh? It clear that he still hates Karl even after his life was left in shambles.

Are Claire and Nina Viento the same person? They seem to be hinting toward it..

Can't wait for next week. One of my favorite shows so far this season. Can't wait to see more romance between Karl and Claire
Jan 20, 2014 12:44 PM

Apr 2009
That was really great episode. I think this anime will be my favourite in this winter season. I can't wait for the next ep :)
Jan 20, 2014 12:45 PM

Jan 2013
I'm glad that they revealed a little bit of the backstory this early. I like conflicts without a definite good and bad side and from the looks of it, neither the rebellion nor the empire were your typical greed driven bad guys. I can sympathize with Karl but without knowing the other side of the story, I can't exactly root for his revenge plot either.

billybob300c said:

Claire is clearly not Nina. Just simply look at their hair color and height.

She could easily wear a wig and heels. I also noticed she was clutching a necklace during the ending song which could be the same necklace that Nina was using during the attack on Karl's empire. Adding to the fact that when Claire was nowhere to be seen during the entrance ceremony, Nina was shown subsequently with the adults.

I think the biggest indicator that Claire could be Nina or at least related to her is that it's simply a great drama fodder and typical Romeo and Juliet setup.
Jan 20, 2014 12:51 PM

Jul 2013
Woah such a sad past. It was good that we know what happened now.
The grudge against Nina Viento..
Hmm... Claire and Kal both stranded now, they'll be alright.
Jan 20, 2014 1:21 PM
Jan 2011
Barion-Zara said:
Really good episode ^^

Spoilers are there for a reason. You have ruin one of the most important reveal to me. Don't do this next time!
Jan 20, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2010
What a bad past Kal-El has.It's nice to see that he was adopted.
I think it's not Nina's fault because she was young and there was a group of people who dominates her.
Good episode .
Jan 20, 2014 1:59 PM

Mar 2011
Kal's past was pretty sad, but surely there has to be some sort of reasons for the people to hate them so much and revolved against the family.That blonde noble douche needs a fist to the face lol
But to be fair, I have a feeling that Kal's mother is still alive...somehow.
notmycakedudeJan 20, 2014 2:05 PM
Do you like cakes?
You don't like cakes?
I like cakes.
Jan 20, 2014 2:32 PM

Apr 2012
"promise me you wont hate anyone" wtf hate is a very important and fundamental emotion, if u never hate how will u know love?
Jan 20, 2014 2:56 PM

Dec 2011
Damn. The backstory is good, and revealed the main character's motive/goal, to kill the priestess. Loving this show more and more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2014 4:16 PM
Mar 2012
Pretty depressing past
Jan 20, 2014 4:24 PM

Aug 2013
Usually i don´t like to be spoiled...but i really wanna know if Claire is Nina....will be a hell of boost to the history.....
Jan 20, 2014 4:47 PM

Dec 2013
This episode opened up a huge interest for me, now will just see if the follow through keeps me around.
Jan 20, 2014 4:53 PM

Jan 2013
I love this anime.

I really like the whole concept of a powerful guy hiding who he really is from everybody. Its really cool. Can't wait for next episode. I love the whole revenge thing. I really wanna see where this goes.
Jan 20, 2014 4:57 PM

Jul 2012
So the princess still carries that hatred in his heart six years later. I wonder what he will do when he meets Nino in person after all this time?

Oh no, they got separated and a storm is rolling in. I wonder if they then will be forced to endure it all night or something?

Great episode!!!
Jan 20, 2014 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
Good episode.

The background story of Kal was pretty sad.

Claire and Kal looked pretty good together as pilot couples.

I don't think Nina was confirmed to be Claire.
Jan 20, 2014 6:58 PM

Aug 2010
Nice back story for Kal. Stories about revenge are really good. I have high expectations for this show.
Jan 20, 2014 7:02 PM

Dec 2008
Claire's ability to remain calm during a crisis is quite impressive.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 20, 2014 9:13 PM

Mar 2013
This anime is one of the worst this season to be quite honest, but the flashback of the revolution was interesting enough for me to keep it up for another week. Still keeping it as a 4/10 overall, though.
Jan 20, 2014 10:10 PM

Jul 2013
Wonder what their reactions will be when they found out hes the former crown prince

damn! that flashback was epic and awesome... it made Carl remind me of Lelouch... they have a lot in common..

Why do the people hate the Emperor and his family that much?? that bastard, Ameriano probably spread some ridiculous lies..

GoGo_Dominatrix said:
Claire's ability to remain calm during a crisis is quite impressive.
Ditto
Jan 20, 2014 10:36 PM

Jun 2013
@17:40: Simba!

XD
Jan 20, 2014 10:59 PM

Mar 2012
So at this point we can kind of see where this series will go. The upcoming battles aside, it's easy to tell that Carl will learn to love and forgive as the series progresses. After all, we don't expect Carl to be waging a war that creates a bloodbath at the end, do we? I'll say this: I'll be really mad if Claire dies.

And for those who're spoiled early on...
Jan 20, 2014 11:00 PM

Apr 2012
straggy said:
This anime is one of the worst this season to be quite honest, but the flashback of the revolution was interesting enough for me to keep it up for another week. Still keeping it as a 4/10 overall, though.

Coming from someone who rated Yuushibu a 9, your opinion isn't valid...
Jan 20, 2014 11:15 PM
Aug 2012
Toucanbird said:
From what I can tell...

Nina isn't the true enemy in this. I get the sense she's being used like a puppet behind the scenes. Oh sure, I do think she has some sort of revenge set on her mind (at least in the flashback), but I don't think she's the one calling all the shots.

As for Kal-el/Karl, I think he doesn't quite see it that way either, wanting revenge on Nina at all costs.

I'm interested in seeing where this series is going because of the minor details displayed in the flashback. Kal-el noted that when they were parading around, that the look in people's eyes were full of emptiness and contempt. Perhaps, Kal-el's father wasn't such a good guy but since he was a naive child, he didn't see that. Perhaps that is also the reason why his mother didn't put up much of a struggle. She knew that what he was doing during his rule was wrong and that they should be punished. Of course, this series hasn't elaborated on what that "wrong" could be, but I do get the sense that there's more to the Ballesteros situation than this series is letting on.

I completely agree. I'm thinking Karl's father might have been a bad king in general. Or maybe just bad enough that the poor people of the country had the worst of it cuz of all those glares. That old guy (who wanted "revenge") probably rounded all the angry folk up putting Nina as a figurehead to give them a sense of sure victory to put the rebellion in motion. But obviously Karl's mother couldn't have been that bad because she wants him to forgive everyone so what the people did might have been justified to some degree.

I loved the hateful expression kid Karl had toward Nina. I actually felt kind of angry for him. And when an anime can make me actually feel something for its characters, thats when i like it. I just REAAAAAAAALLLY want him to have his revenge somehow. I know Ninas probably not at fault but something satisfying has to happen.

And this is just wishful thinking, but is Karl's mother really dead? I know it was srsly implied but does anyone have an idea if she somehow got out of it? (I dont mind spoilers, i actually welcome them)
Jan 20, 2014 11:24 PM
Jan 2013
Oh man the back story was impressive it is almost like what happen in the French Revolution.

So, since Kal is gonna want some pay-back on Nina, what's gonna happen when he finds out that Clair is Nina?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Amarrez - Mar 31, 2014

191 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.