Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 2, 2013 1:03 PM

May 2011
Holy fuck plot twists all over the place. Wow... this episode was amazing. Didn't actually think that Kimijima Kou was the mastermind behind everything but now that they revealed it, wow everything makes sense again. And Sawada was actually the good guy in this series with Nae working with him, oh damn.

Those moments with a sad Airi and Kai was once again heartbreaking to watch as well as watching the Gunpro-2 get destroyed. ;_;
Mar 2, 2013 3:10 PM

Jan 2013
I, like everyone was hoping something would happen.
Something did. Several somethings.
Almost all being things you couldn't have foreseen at all from the 18 episodes before.
So effectively, anyone wanting to watch this anime in the future, you can just tell them "Start at episode 19- They ignore/change everything before there anyway..."

Now, am I right in understanding that the villains have:
advanced holograms, mind control, exo-skeletal super suits, brain-map to net presence technology, advanced suspended animation tech, some unexplained 'instant monolith' technology, and an established control base of pretty much almost all robotic machines and oh- all media.
That's what we know about that I can think of off the top of my head anyway- They're the goddamn Cobra Command of Japan, and apparently, Kai (and the candy manufacturing guys I guess) are 'G.I. Joe'- cause it seems- no one else in the damn world has a clue.

So.. somewhy they need to 'start chaos'? so they can launch missiles? Because no one will answer the phone to brainwash at the defense base? No vets with exoskeletons they can call? It's a weekend right, so they can only employ a few soldiers because they don't want to pay time & 1/2 or 2x time?

Yay. S;G & C;H references.
Boo. Not enough R;N references.

And how many times can you drop that robot on someone? I bet it happens in 22...

I want to be wrong, but this seems to be what 'jumping the shark' looks like here. I don't know what they're going to do from here on- not much rug left to pull from under the viewer's feet.

And the one clue I can possibly give credit for- is Kimijima Kou being a villain 3 ways;
1. Off grid powered facility. Looks expensive. How is the power paid for?
2. Questionable Airi backstory. 'Lets leave her in a fridge- it's Japan, nothing can go wrong'
3. Sent reports without approval- knowing they were dangerous/could cost sender their life. (that said, I have no idea why Kai needed to be a part of this at all- he could have just leaked/sent them anyway- even as a 'pawn', Kai had no 'moves')
These don't 'add up', but do make him 'suspect'- which I guess is a stretch for this anime, because it's clear it'll do what it wants regardless of established story.

Fah. Sunspots & monopoles...

3 episodes left. Let's see what kind of 'well fleshed out' ending they can shoehorn in there.
bloggbiggMar 2, 2013 3:13 PM
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
Mar 2, 2013 3:43 PM
Aug 2012
OMG SERN is back!
Mar 2, 2013 6:47 PM

Oct 2011
Damn, S Braun, what a girl. You grow up well huh. Damn you again, SERN.
Bad Kimijima is behind all of this, and even control little Airi. Didn't expect that!!
Anyway, why is the Grand Obelisk in the middle of the lake when it was in the city, or is there 2 of them???
Signature
Mar 2, 2013 8:01 PM

Dec 2011
Yvese said:
Kimijima is the bad guy, and Sawada is the good guy. Mind = blown.

ikr o_o;;

it's starting to give me the "wow" feeling again, too bad there's only 3 episodes left.
Mar 2, 2013 9:02 PM

Oct 2007
Those Kimijima "reports" really drew me in and now we have this? It felt like a Code Geass-style role reversal the way they portrayed it. I approve of the plot twists.

Hirieoshi said:
Yvese said:
Kimijima is the bad guy, and Sawada is the good guy. Mind = blown.

ikr o_o;;

it's starting to give me the "wow" feeling again, too bad there's only 3 episodes left.

I know! I can see it lasting for much longer but who knows what might happen next episode. Or will there be a sequel movie/OVA? We'll see.
Mar 2, 2013 11:56 PM

Nov 2011
Seeing Misaki in her robot suit, driving a giant spider mech, all I could think of was how the rampage might end: http://youtu.be/iQSKTeUZGHU?t=1h2m20s

Ah well...
Mar 3, 2013 12:30 AM

Jun 2011
bloggbigg said:
advanced holograms, mind control, exo-skeletal super suits, brain-map to net presence technology, advanced suspended animation tech, some unexplained 'instant monolith' technology, and an established control base of pretty much almost all robotic machines and oh- all media.

There are no holograms, or any "instant monolith", they are all illusions induced by the Noah device hidden in the Expo. Technically it's naked eye AR, same as the "realboot" in Chaos;Head. It's not only the Committee that connects all three installments of the Science ADV Series, but also the Virtual Rebuilding technology developed by the Victor Condria University. Norose's brainwashing Noah, Kurisu's Time Leap Machine, and Kimijima's sentiment AI(well, it's not really his own idea, he stole from the Amadeus Project of Victor Condria) are all based on the VR technology.

bloggbigg said:
So.. somewhy they need to 'start chaos'? so they can launch missiles? Because no one will answer the phone to brainwash at the defense base? No vets with exoskeletons they can call? It's a weekend right, so they can only employ a few soldiers because they don't want to pay time & 1/2 or 2x time?

They caused the worldwide chaos to distract everyone long enough to launch the BHB into space. Misaki said it herself that they don't have much time left. Sooner or later people will find out it's all fake. And brainwashing? Following the destruction of Noah II in C;H, Project Noah was scrapped. As shown in the case of Frau's mother, brainwashing isn't an absolute method of control. They won't entrust Project Atum to such inefficient thing. And JAXA is only a research institute, not some military group. A handful of soldiers will be suffice. Unless there's a monster named Nae Tennouji in JAXA.
KansokushaMar 3, 2013 12:35 AM
Mar 3, 2013 2:34 AM

Mar 2011
Kansokusha said:
bloggbigg said:

There are no holograms, or any "instant monolith", they are all illusions induced by the Noah device hidden in the Expo. Technically it's naked eye AR, same as the "realboot" in Chaos;Head. It's not only the Committee that connects all three installments of the Science ADV Series, but also the Virtual Rebuilding technology developed by the Victor Condria University. Norose's brainwashing Noah, Kurisu's Time Leap Machine, and Kimijima's sentiment AI(well, it's not really his own idea, he stole from the Amadeus Project of Victor Condria) are all based on the VR technology.

bloggbigg said:

They caused the worldwide chaos to distract everyone long enough to launch the BHB into space. Misaki said it herself that they don't have much time left. Sooner or later people will find out it's all fake. And brainwashing? Following the destruction of Noah II in C;H, Project Noah was scrapped. As shown in the case of Frau's mother, brainwashing isn't an absolute method of control. They won't entrust Project Atum to such inefficient thing. And JAXA is only a research institute, not some military group. A handful of soldiers will be suffice. Unless there's a monster named Nae Tennouji in JAXA.

What is the Amadeus Project?
I don't remember something like that from C;H or S;G. Don't tell me, if there is going to be an explanation in R;N in next 3 episodes.
And, isn't it Visual Rebuilding? That's not so important, though.

Mar 3, 2013 2:51 AM

Jun 2011
Finjas said:
I don't remember something like that from C;H or S;G. Don't tell me, if there is going to be an explanation in R;N in next 3 episodes.

Haha ya Visual Rebuilding, it was a typo XP.

Amadeus is an AI in the ongoing three volume S;G novels set in the Beta Worldline following Kurisu's death. You know, the whole extracting memories and incorporating them into an AI thing. They developed the VR technology for the greater good of humanity, but it's always being used by the evils, one way or another. =(
Mar 3, 2013 4:08 AM

Oct 2012
WTF did I just watched?!! Those explanations couldn't left anyone with satisfactory feeling..
Mitchie at right place and right time with his van? Nae saves the day against two armaded men? Come on... this cannot be saved even by suspension of disbelief anymore!

Character naive and reasonless actions aside (Kai speech to Aki was the worst.. like he was turning blind to all the danger he was stepping in. Also, why the hell they even care for some fucking GunPro robot - thousands people died there!)
Logic here was twisted so many times it doesn't make sense at all!

Or - if this makes sense in R;N VN - blame the poor execution instead. And if Chaos;Head is needed to understand those events it's even worse.
Putting so many twists and revelations to one ep really wasn't good move when some of earlier episodes was so bland.
Mich666Mar 3, 2013 4:36 AM
Mar 3, 2013 6:58 AM

Oct 2012
Chaos Head reference wasen't expecting it, good episode but dont you dare hurt kona you mercenaries.
Mar 3, 2013 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Kansokusha said:

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately that makes it worse- because 'naked eye AR' is easily an even more advanced technology (not to mention just techno-gibberish). As for the monolith, I listed that separately because it makes little sense to manifest something so 'mundane'- even if to 'match' a niche fan 'rumor', but I guess it makes as much sense as the rest.

Kansokusha said:

What people? Who are they distracting? It's not as if they can ever 'stop watching airspace'- planes use that- and building a project around a random guy in 'the military' both watching the news and looking away is way less reliable than some infiltration/brainwashing/robot interference/other scheme. Sure civilians are going to freak out "Oh my god! it's a monolith- like in the lost Gunvarrel episode! Aiieee!" then they have to send the military to support "Abandon your posts men, we hear there be monoliths afoot!"- but whatever.
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
Mar 3, 2013 7:52 AM

Jan 2013
Mich666 said:
WTF did I just watched?!! Those explanations couldn't left anyone with satisfactory feeling..
Mitchie at right place and right time with his van? Nae saves the day against two armaded men? Come on... this cannot be saved even by suspension of disbelief anymore!

Character naive and reasonless actions aside (Kai speech to Aki was the worst.. like he was turning blind to all the danger he was stepping in. Also, why the hell they even care for some fucking GunPro robot - thousands people died there!)

Or - if this makes sense in R;N VN - blame the poor execution instead. And if Chaos;Head is needed to understand those events it's even worse.
Putting so many twists and revelations to one ep really wasn't good move when some of earlier episodes was so bland.

I'm with you Mich666. Frau went from being a secure shut-in with an almost paranoid need for surveillance, (with people who could detain and question people anywhere in Japan), to having an effectively open house. We won't even ask what spurious reason sent Nae there. I'm guessing the candy company is a cover- but why? whatever.
Kai did treat Aki the worst- of all the people in the series that needed a 'telling off', she certainly wasn't top on the list- just the easiest to punk it seems.
Putting in extra 'candy' for the people who watch 'All teh videoz' is fine- leaving key information dependent on all the rest... no so good a plan. I'm sure we'll get a few 'expositional speeches' soon enough- to clarify for the 'slow viewers'.
It's like they changed writers, focus, theme (Hell- both robots together have taken 5 steps in their whole robot lives- and it looks like the whole thing is a red-herring). Ah well- series isn't over yet. Anything can happen...

Mar 3, 2013 7:53 AM

Jun 2008
Oh shit! So the Kikishima guy proved to be the final villain. He rely played our main guy like keyboard. Still don't get why her sister is doing all that shit though.

Well it's too late for this show to be as awesome as Stein:Gate but it can have a nice roll in this last episodes.
Mar 3, 2013 8:15 AM

Mar 2012
Marathoning this in two days. Sudently Nae is become like Suzuha who punch people like nothing.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 3, 2013 8:26 AM

Mar 2011
Kansokusha said:
Finjas said:

Haha ya Visual Rebuilding, it was a typo XP.

Amadeus is an AI in the ongoing three volume S;G novels set in the Beta Worldline following Kurisu's death. You know, the whole extracting memories and incorporating them into an AI thing. They developed the VR technology for the greater good of humanity, but it's always being used by the evils, one way or another. =(

Do you mean Heijikyokusen no Epigraph? I hope someone will translate it eventually.
Also, it's pretty impressive how authors of SciADV manage to base their every story on a single technology. Talking about very lucky choice of the central theme.

bloggbigg said:
Mich666 said:

I'm with you Mich666. Frau went from being a secure shut-in with an almost paranoid need for surveillance, (with people who could detain and question people anywhere in Japan), to having an effectively open house. We won't even ask what spurious reason sent Nae there. I'm guessing the candy company is a cover- but why? whatever.
Kai did treat Aki the worst- of all the people in the series that needed a 'telling off', she certainly wasn't top on the list- just the easiest to punk it seems.
Putting in extra 'candy' for the people who watch 'All teh videoz' is fine- leaving key information dependent on all the rest... no so good a plan. I'm sure we'll get a few 'expositional speeches' soon enough- to clarify for the 'slow viewers'.
It's like they changed writers, focus, theme (Hell- both robots together have taken 5 steps in their whole robot lives- and it looks like the whole thing is a red-herring). Ah well- series isn't over yet. Anything can happen...

Don't think so. Three episodes left.
There is just to many flaws to fix them all. For some reason, that's not bothers me so much. Maybe its because I know how much anime-adaptations could be screwed after Chaos;Head-anime.
For now I just want to get an explanation of monopoles falling from the sky.
If that thing won't be explain, it would look like a complete mockery.

Mar 3, 2013 8:35 AM

Sep 2012
Finjas said:
Shall we make a list of what needs to be explained but not yet? Things like Airi's real identity and if she really has a sickness that needs cold sleep, or whether Deji-ne is a well-meaning character, or how Kimijima got into the network,, or how the Gunvarell staff got controlled and spread bad rumor about Frau, or who sent out the Kagome tune and how did it control its broadcast location and target...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 3, 2013 8:46 AM

Jun 2011
bloggbigg said:
Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately that makes it worse- because 'naked eye AR' is easily an even more advanced technology (not to mention just techno-gibberish). As for the monolith, I listed that separately because it makes little sense to manifest something so 'mundane'- even if to 'match' a niche fan 'rumor', but I guess it makes as much sense as the rest.

The Noah is nothing new in term of technology goes in-universe, the Noah II in C;H a decade ago could do the same thing by injecting information directly into people's brains. The Noah IV is just an improved version. And the monolith isn't just some niche fan rumor, everyone knows the Gunvarrel show, it's being recognized worldwide as the most successful mecha anime ever and was responsible for the robot boom that followed. Just as Kimijima planned. He secretly funded the show and brainwashed the whole staff into making it the propaganda tool for the Committee. The leaked final episode of Gunvarrel, plus Kimijima's plain statement linking the show with the Committee in his reports, the appearance of the Grand Monolith will surely make people panic, what if it's real? Is this evil organization going to destroy the earth with this thing? Ya they are going to kill you all, but with other means.

bloggbigg said:
What people? Who are they distracting? It's not as if they can ever 'stop watching airspace'- planes use that- and building a project around a random guy in 'the military' both watching the news and looking away is way less reliable than some infiltration/brainwashing/robot interference/other scheme. Sure civilians are going to freak out "Oh my god! it's a monolith- like in the lost Gunvarrel episode! Aiieee!" then they have to send the military to support "Abandon your posts men, we hear there be monoliths afoot!"- but whatever.

It's not just the monolith at the Expo(it's the WORLD EXPO, everyone's eyes are on this damn expo), but there are also destruction caused by the solar flare and terrorist attacks everywhere - illusions of the Noah devices and wide usage of Iru-O. Governments need time to sort things out(did I fail to mention that many higher ups in the world governments got killed in the previous HUG berserk incidents?), and the panicked public don't make things any easier. And if you ask why don't they use other more practical means to fulfill their goal - following is a minor spoiler, it's not really a plot spoiler, but covers the personality of Kimijima, so read it at your own risk.
KansokushaMar 3, 2013 9:00 AM
Mar 3, 2013 8:47 AM

Jan 2013
Finjas said:

There is just to many flaws to fix them all. For some reason, that's not bothers me so much. Maybe its because I know how much anime-adaptations could be screwed after Chaos;Head-anime.

I don't expect them to finish all they started, but addressing some details (like monopoles) would be good. I think there is a huge disconnect between what the writer wants to tell in this story, and what viewers want to hear about- based on what they think the story is about. This is so close to being about 'building a giant Gunvarrel was really just character building' that it isn't funny. I bet most people here watched this in the hope that the Gunvarrel robot would have to fight some enemy bot with Kai as the pilot for the sake of humanity. That could still happen- but apparently we need multiple letdowns first- This backstory conspiracy that no one is allowed to get a handle on is the real story- and the multiple deaths and ongoing impotence to fight against it will make almost any victory ridiculous considering the power and control the 'omnipresent evil' has shown.

Oh, and Kajimina Kou plays gunvarrel when he's bored (or some such).
Just figured I'd point that out because it makes sense while being silly.

This anime is so messed up.
bloggbiggMar 3, 2013 6:22 PM

Mar 3, 2013 9:29 AM

Jan 2013
Kansokusha said:
The Noah is nothing new in term of technology goes in-universe, the Noah II in C;H a decade ago could do the same thing by injecting information directly into people's brains. The Noah IV is just an improved version. And the monolith isn't just some niche fan rumor, everyone knows the Gunvarrel show, it's being recognized worldwide as the most successful mecha anime ever and was responsible for the robot boom that followed. Just as the Committee planned. Kimijima secretly funded the show and brainwashed the whole staff into making it the propaganda tool for the Committee. The leaked final episode of Gunvarrel, plus Kimijima's plain statement linking the show with the Committee in his reports, the appearance of the Grand Monolith will surely make people panic, what if it's real? Is this evil organization going to destroy the earth with this thing? Ya they are going to kill you all, but with other means.

All this powerful tech- which no one but the bad guys seem to have- along with the 300, and Cobra Commander's fanatical plan (wait- I meant Kajimina Kou's!)- All lead to an 'If I can't do this, I'm an idiot.' level of advantage.
Kai had one inside ally- Airi- who it turns out was a mole using him like a pawn. (Just to keep him busy? The reports could have been released anyway, anytime). Maybe Sister Centipede will be remembered, and possibly turn out to be useful.

As far as the released 'final' Gunvarrel Ep- The writers here fail to recognize true fandom. One 'supposed' new episode which is a radical departure from the canon of the series is not really going to get the acceptance of _everyone_ and the complete shunning of the entire franchise by _everyone_ due to it's release. It's just not logical. Even that aside, the clear 'fanatical overtones' make it more dismissive as a 'bullshit ep, even if legit'. Sure, some will turncoat and hate Guvarrel because of it. Maybe many- possibly even (and this is stretching it) most- but not ALL. If your waifu performs badly one night, you don't divorce her. Ari knows this. She's the only one.

Kansokusha said:
It's not just the monolith at the Expo(it's the WORLD EXPO, everyone's eyes are on this damn expo), but there are also destruction caused by the solar flare and terrorist attacks everywhere - illusions of the Noah devices and wide usage of Iru-O. Governments need time to sort things out(did I fail to mention that many higher ups in the world governments got killed in the previous HUG berserk incidents?), and the panicked public don't make things any easier. And if you ask why don't they use other more practical means to fulfill their goal - following is a minor spoiler, it's not really a plot spoiler, but covers the personality of Kimijima, so read it at your own risk.

All well and good, but 'private whatshisname' on airspace defense duty (or whatever) and sitting in front of a monitor for 8 hours neither knows this, nor can leave his screen no matter how worried his is about his mom in Sasketchwan. This is boilerplate military procedure- not that he'd be the only guy on duty anyway. We won't even describe how critical a 'simple' aviation air traffic controllers job is. In both cases all the 'smoke and mirrors' is happening outside a 'closed room'- and the guys inside are probably pretty serious about their jobs- sending in a girl in a cake would be more effective. This also precludes any level of semi-automated warning system- which would serve to yank them back from aforementioned girl/cake dalliance. Alltogether, it seems like a dumb plan- but we'll see how it executes.
Thanks for the spoiler- I just nod my head at this point. This is why some anime will never approach 'literature' in the minds of some people. The overused trope of 'villain just because I can be' is entirely overused in anime- see:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InvincibleVillain
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoomsdayDevice
bloggbiggMar 3, 2013 9:40 AM

Mar 3, 2013 9:47 AM

Jun 2011
Mich666 said:

In the VN, Kai's father is the captain of the flight between Tanegashima and Tokyo. Nae told the father and Mitchie to standby at the airport in case of emergency. Sawada revealed at the Expo that his father is a member of the Committee, Sawada opposes their ways and secretly founded the Anti-Committee of 300 to fold their plans. Among his comrades are S Braun and some of Kai's "friends" on the Twippo that are unexplored in the anime. Hard to believe that Nae took on two armed soldier? How can one become an agent of a secret origanization without such skills? And just think about her father.

Finjas said:
Do you mean Heijikyokusen no Epigraph? I hope someone will translate it eventually.
Also, it's pretty impressive how authors of SciADV manage to base their every story on a single technology. Talking about very lucky choice of the central theme.

Yes, the Epigraph of closed time-like curve. There won't be translation any time soon. =(
Praise the brilliant mind of Chiyomaru, and of course the skillful writings of Hayashi sensei. =)

Finjas said:

The problem of a VN adaptation is that there are always not enough episodes to faithfully adapt all the details in the original material. Things got worse with the long build-up of R;N. And sad to inform you that if they are going to explain the whole monopoles thing they should have done it way earlier.
Mar 3, 2013 9:59 AM

Jun 2011
bloggbigg said:
Thanks for the spoiler- I just nod my head at this point. This is why some anime will never approach 'literature' in the minds of some people. The overused trope of 'villain just because I can be' is entirely overused in anime- see:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InvincibleVillain
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoomsdayDevice

To me the Committee is the villain here(although I'm pretty sure that they see themselves as the savior of mankind), Kimijima is outright
Mar 3, 2013 11:45 AM

Sep 2012
Everything seems to be coming together! The next three weeks are gonna be a joyride for us R;N fans :D Fantastic episode, the plot twist and the creepy ending made my day!

Anyone else notice when Kai was playing that game and he battled, "steingma". I'm thinking it was a little playful reminder of S;G but it could just be me.. :P

But goodness, finally getting really good <3
Mar 3, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
Kansokusha said:
To me the Committee is the villain here(although I'm pretty sure that they see themselves as the savior of mankind), Kimijima is outright

Deluded and/or crazy villians/(villians as saviors). Yep. Those are far from overused Anime villain types. 'Crazy' isn't enough.
Sorry for the sarcasm, but that's my point- this started off as a really good story with interesting characters with complicated back stories- and it devolved into this sequence of random 'plot wists'/unveilings designed entirely to undermine any established character focus. Wait- not the design- just the result- anyway, I'm not saying they won't get there- but this isn't just a bumpy ride-- this is having your bus hijacked by your bus driver and being forced onto a jet, which heads immediately for a secret base hidden in a sheer cliff.
or something. (I gave that analogy as much thought as they probably gave monopoles (which scientifically should be a _huge_ deal, btw))
Point is, name dropping and cameos- back-referencing and insane amorality don't supersede basic storytelling. It was all hard work and planning for our beloved crew till what- episode 17?, then it just switched to 'now things happening- try to keep up' mode. A basic premise is we have to believe that no one but one secret organization apparently actually gives a damn (Ok, fine- that's boilerplate).Next, between Kai and Frau, how jaded or stupid do you have to be to NOT be trying to find more answers after all this crap? (Let's assume Frau is, and theoretically there are none- quite a stretch)- but Kai? He had an AI on his PDA, and watched supermagnets drop from the gaddamn sky because, newsflash- the world is gonna end! What is he gonna do? what does he need? Someone gotta die? Nope. Misaki's senseless death does nothing to motivate him (or anyone) to take things seriously- not even a 'wrongful death' lawsuit against the manufacturer (or whatever they do in Japan- oh- they probably billed her family for the suicide clean-up).

The point to this apparent rant?

Plot based writing with characters who are pawns to the plot is... not so good- and what this has seemingly devolved into. No 'character' is motivated by real information, events, or desires unless the _plot_ 'approves'. Core characters just disappear for episodes at a time for convenience. Why people do things should be 'character', not viewer speculation or clearly 'designed in' plot complications/action events.
And the 'villain(s)'?
Misaki is treated entirely too well- just because she's a sister (albeit a shitty one)- and who kows why she's so tight-lipped/pathetic.
Kajimina suddely pops out from hiding for no good reason- but whatever, he acts with impunity, with a plan spanning years with no clear purpose (yet) except a lot of people have to die (ok- maybe that's it- whatever), and no apparent dissent/conflict- because, you know- none of the 300 would argue with a 'crazy man'.

A quick note on character- trya nd guess based on traits who I mean. How many does it take to define a 'real' person?
'Fiercely optimistic' isn't enough- that would be a caricature. You add intelligent, contemplative, unabashed and persevering just to start. Add 'sister' and leader in brief, and you're moving somewhere.
Lets try another:
'Apathetic' isn't enough. You have inquisitive, loyal, skilled and somewhat determined to help begin defining this character. Add childhood friend and challenging supporter, and you're gaining complexity.
How about:
Enigmatic, intelligent, secretive- but close to old friends while shunning close family. I think that's it.
One more:
'Crazy' isn't enough. Ok- add intelligent and amoral, What else? What isn't cliche? What isn't 'alien'- what motivates and can be understood? As much as the villains are entirely the driving force of this Anime (even building a giant robot, why?)- they're pretty flimsy characters. More props to facilitate plot. Oh- I'm on that again...

You know one way they catch criminals? Profiling. It's not exactly the 'science' like they want you to think it is, but it does 'mostly work', and shows one thing.
Crazy people have their own logic. Their reasons for thinking they're doing right- or justifying not caring.

Sorry for the 'spew'- but I really liked S;G- and more than the 1st half of this one. C;H- not so much. Anyway, I love good anime- and this was great for a while. I'm sure it'll wrap up ok, but it's clear they got lazy, and trying to explain it just ends up illustrating it's shortcomings.
If anyone responds- please don't quote the whole thing!
(^_^)
bloggbiggMar 3, 2013 5:31 PM

Mar 3, 2013 1:30 PM

Jan 2008
And they went all out on the references from the other 2 series. Great job.
Mar 3, 2013 5:43 PM

Oct 2012
Kansokusha said:
Mich666 said:

In the VN, Kai's father is the captain of the flight between Tanegashima and Tokyo. Nae told the father and Mitchie to standby at the airport in case of emergency. Sawada revealed at the Expo that his father is a member of the Committee, Sawada opposes their ways and secretly founded the Anti-Committee of 300 to fold their plans. Among his comrades are S Braun and some of Kai's "friends" on the Twippo that are unexplored in the anime. Hard to believe that Nae took on two armed soldier? How can one become an agent of a secret origanization without such skills? And just think about her father.

Well, that confirms that they sort of failed to deliver all needed information to anime watchers. There are so many plot holes (at least from perspective of those who hasn't played VN) I just keep wondering why they didn't started quickly and left more episodes to fit the with all the details (first several eps had reaaally slow tempo to the point many people had given up on series).
As many have mentioned here there are literally tons of questions that needs proper answer in next few eps if there is to be any satisfactory end. I don't know, this show feels like even its authors don't know clearly where to push it. Half of this show's screentime was burdened with "'building our own robot arc"' which turned red herring and absolutely useless in recent light of events. And now they are struggling to fit everything else into very few eps. This really isn't the way how to get viewers engaged with the story. Nor is overburdening them with tons of suprising information and twists that feels like deus ex machina in the end.
Mich666Mar 3, 2013 5:51 PM
Mar 3, 2013 8:29 PM
Aug 2010
Its almost like some of Sister Braun's shit crazy experience as a member of Sern's Rounder leaked over from the beta world-line huh?

Also, what are these questions people keep on talking about? I've read the entire VN and there's still plenty of time to answer all the important things, especially if you're already familiarized with the workings of that world through Choas Head and Steins Gate.

Sure, everything in VN won't be addressed, like some of the technical stuff, but most aren't that important and if you don't know about them they don't really matter at all in terms of "answered questions." Also, it would take some serious nitpicking to bothered by any minor "plot holes," which are probably not even plot holes at all. Overall, not bad but this should had been 26 episodes.
Mar 3, 2013 8:46 PM

Apr 2009
I had a feeling the SUMERAGI robot was going to go on a rampage. What do you know, it did. It even had rocket pods installed...! It wasn't the only one, too.

According to the information from Mr. Sawada, Kaito has been played for a fool all along by Mr. Kimijima. Mr. Sawada was acting in good faith all along. I thought the GunPro-2 was going to play a bigger role in this, since it's their only other successful piece of work, and had secret(?) monopole motor technology. But it's in no shape to perform any further role after that attack.

It was nice to see Aki and Kai switch roles for once, when he was the one encouraging her. Frau was almost done for back there, until Nae came and demonstrated she could kick serious ass. Miniature black hole technology from SERN... That Noah IV device... the connections to S;G and C;H are stronger than ever...
Mar 3, 2013 9:00 PM

Jun 2011
Bobjones said:
Its almost like some of Sister Braun's shit crazy experience as a member of Sern's Rounder leaked over from the beta world-line huh?

Also, what are these questions people keep on talking about? I've read the entire VN and there's still plenty of time to answer all the important things, especially if you're already familiarized with the workings of that world through Choas Head and Steins Gate.

Sure, everything in VN won't be addressed, like some of the technical stuff, but most aren't that important and if you don't know about them they don't really matter at all in terms of "answered questions." Also, it would take some serious nitpicking to bothered by any minor "plot holes," which are probably not even plot holes at all. Overall, not bad but this should had been 26 episodes.

It's the Alpha Worldline.

And I've been worring that 22 episodes won't be enough for the whole story from the very beginning. The total length of the original VN is almost that of C;H and S;G combined. And Hanada's weird pacing, cliffhangers placement and the cut stuff don't make it better.

SayakaMagica said:
I had a feeling the SUMERAGI robot was going to go on a rampage. What do you know, it did. It even had rocket pods installed...! It wasn't the only one, too.

According to the information from Mr. Sawada, Kaito has been played for a fool all along by Mr. Kimijima. Mr. Sawada was acting in good faith all along. I thought the GunPro-2 was going to play a bigger role in this, since it's their only other successful piece of work, and had secret(?) monopole motor technology. But it's in no shape to perform any further role after that attack.

It was nice to see Aki and Kai switch roles for once, when he was the one encouraging her. Frau was almost done for back there, until Nae came and demonstrated she could kick serious ass. Miniature black hole technology from SERN... That Noah IV device... the connections to S;G and C;H are stronger than ever...

It's sad that as being essential to the plot, viewers need knowledge of C;H and S;G to have a clue, not like the C;H to S;G connection.
Mar 3, 2013 9:03 PM

Oct 2007
For most people, it would probably take a marathon of all three series to get a real sense of what's going with the whole thing. Which is what I'm probably going to do when the series finishes in a few weeks.

Maybe even play the first two novels..
Mar 4, 2013 3:19 AM

Oct 2012
4Sky said:

As far as I can say Chaos;Head VN is way better than anime while both Steins;Gate anime and VN are sort of the same in overall impact though S;G VN explains some things anime didn't (but those were only some technical things and minor events). Also, there are different routes for every girl to explore. But true end is always the same (as in anime).

I haven't played Robotics;Notes VN but as far as rating goes it is the worst part of Science;Adventures.
And watching anime I have to say R;N is lot more connected to C;H than to S;G.
Mar 4, 2013 5:04 AM

Mar 2011
Mich666 said:
4Sky said:

As far as I can say Chaos;Head VN is way better than anime while both Steins;Gate anime and VN are sort of the same in overall impact though S;G VN explains some things anime didn't (but those were only some technical things and minor events). Also, there are different routes for every girl to explore. But true end is always the same (as in anime).

I haven't played Robotics;Notes VN but as far as rating goes it is the worst part of Science;Adventures.
And watching anime I have to say R;N is lot more connected to C;H than to S;G.

Second this. 4Sky, you really shouldn't watch Chaos;Head anime, even if already have seen it, don't refresh your memories about the events of Chaos;Head through anime, read the VN instead.
That would be much, much better.

Mar 4, 2013 5:22 AM

Jun 2011
Finjas said:
Second this. 4Sky, you really shouldn't watch Chaos;Head anime, even if already have seen it, don't refresh your memories about the events of Chaos;Head through anime, read the VN instead.
That would be much, much better.

I guess combining "Chaos"Head and "Mad"house wasn't a great idea.
Mar 5, 2013 7:33 PM

Jul 2010
When that bastard pointed the gun at Frau's head my heart literally stopped for a second.THANK YOU NAE ;__;.
Wow, Kimijima is a bad guy.Did not see this coming to be honest.Anyway, cant wait to see whats gonna happen next.Oh, and S Brown :D
Mar 6, 2013 12:49 AM

Aug 2009
aki x kai otpp! *_*
Mar 6, 2013 1:10 PM

May 2010
This episode OMG! So many twists happened in this episode I'm just shocked! Kou Kimijima is one badass dude. Getting Misa and Airi to help him in his plan was something I didn't expect. Poor Airi.....she's such an innocent person why turn to the dark side? And poor Akiho seeing her sister as a bad guy.

I'm really loving this show right now. Looking forward to a good ending.

Mar 8, 2013 6:12 AM
Jan 2010
eminagnam said:

Stark700 said:
Hmm, I guess the bullet sort of missed?

I wondered if that guy intentionally missed the target.

oh my god
it was an illusion
like did you just space out during that entire episode or something?
good job having the attention span of a fly.
Mar 8, 2013 12:12 PM

Oct 2012
everything starting to fall into place now ...

Mar 12, 2013 10:31 PM

Jun 2008
OK....I can't be the only one who's lost.

I get that Kimijima is the bad guy, but I still don't get Misaki and these "illusions" or whatever...

Also, what exactly is this building up to?

Also, isn't all of this the Main character's fault for finding Airi and unveiling all of this shit?
Mar 15, 2013 1:00 AM
Mar 2013
symbv said:
neoneo said:
symbv said:
neoneo said:
It sort of relates to "Order out of Chaos", in a sense that chaos is created in order to execute plans. It happens in the real world all the time.
You seem to be saying that chaos is deliberately created in order to execute plans, perhaps you can name a few examples of why you think it happens in the real world all the time. For now I can only think of terrorists as an example.

hmmmm, perhaps you can name a single reason why you think it doesn't. But here is a nice little example that should illuminate that light bulb: A kid pulls the fire alarm at school, then sneaks into an empty classroom to steal a microscope. Does that help at all?
So you are talking about people committing crime (my example of terrorism is an extreme example) ? Yeah, I am sure that one trick of criminals is to create chaos to execute plan. But that is not "Order out of Chaos", right? And I don't think this trick is used so frequently that I would call it "all the time".

neoneo said:
This is not at all limited to stealing, but can be used for any action that is desired to go unnoticed, temporarily or permanently...so if you think about it for a moment, you should be able to come up with countless examples, small scale and large scale. Does that make sense?
"action that is desired to go unnoticed" is not "order out of chaos", right? Where is the "chaos" in that?

Maybe the issue here is my understanding of the phrase 'Order out of chaos", does this phrase have a specific meaning other than its literal definition? Anyways, I used an example that happened to be a crime (is terrorism not a crime?), but then I stated that it was not limited to the crime, which I think you somehow misunderstood, and which someone else corrected for me.
You are right the "action that goes unnoticed" is not chaos, it is the "order" part; the first word of that sentence was "this", which was referring to the concept of creating chaos which I had just given an example of.
You asked for a practical example, and I gave the most simple, easy to imagine one that came to mind, and then asked you to use your brain to imagine other applications of the concept, which I thought would have been fairly easy given such a simple example, but I guess the fact that you asked in the first place should have warned me of difficulties ahead. I can't believe I am explaning this....
Mar 17, 2013 4:47 AM

Dec 2010
So Misaki isn't Itachi.. I had a feeling that Sawada is actually a good guy, but Misaki was just too difficult to read.

The hologram illusions turned this show into a total mindfuck. I can't fully comprehend what's real and what's not now =

KingCez said:
wow so kimijima was behind it all. damn series made him look like Jesus or something.

True. And Kimijima pulled an Eiri(SE Lain watchers should know). He even resembles him in looks.
MeritasMar 17, 2013 4:50 AM
Mar 22, 2013 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
that Kimijima...
May 18, 2013 10:32 AM

May 2012
Oh fuck that was a serieus interesting ending! That illusion of that big statue was kinda impressive and what were they going to do with Frau? Either way shit is getting real good, lets see what's next!
Oct 7, 2013 1:36 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode very intriguing, beautiful twists in bursts make viewing enjoyable. At the end I was persuaded by Kimijima and also the sister of Aki, and say that Mizuka-san thanked her! XD Oh well, it is useless to draw conclusions now, I could be wrong. The beginning dellla story made ​​me angry a little bit, Aki instead of showing the attributes he was whining, gosh! At the end of the plot, narrative, drawings and animations were convincing almost 100%!

I can not wait to finish this anime! * _ *
Nov 18, 2013 5:29 AM

Jan 2012
this is the part where I stop giving a my two fucks for the series....

no disrespect but they're trying too hard to make the predictable .... unpredictable

zzzz
Dec 31, 2013 12:50 AM
Nov 2010
Meritas said:

The hologram illusions turned this show into a total mindfuck. I can't fully comprehend what's real and what's not now =

ya me too.... I am most confused about the part where his phonepad show a destroyed building while the naked eye show a undamaged one... which is real?
Hi
Jul 31, 2014 5:26 PM

Apr 2014
Black hole bomb.... From CERN?
And not to forget the Chaos;Head quote in Ep 1.

All 3 animes now linked, wow.
Sep 9, 2014 4:56 AM

Sep 2011
Great stuff!
Oct 12, 2014 1:53 PM
May 2013
S Braun as Sister Braun .
At the end
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Mar 21, 2013

340 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jul 7, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

217 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jul 7, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2013

192 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jul 7, 10:19 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

123 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jul 7, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Robotics;Notes Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

127 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jul 7, 8:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.