Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 20, 2008 6:16 PM

Nov 2008
Because as much as I enjoy ranting and getting stuff off my chest, it's not great to focus purely on the negative.

So looking at it from a positive light, I decided to start a topic for discussing REAL literature.

And seeing how low standards have fallen nowadays, anything better than Twilight qualifies as literature, so we won't run out of stuff to talk about. :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 21, 2008 7:45 AM
Nov 2008
Yea.. well I sorta already suggested a REAL literature series in my comment... ugh.. so yea.

Well, if you didn't read my comment then, I suggested to read Rachel Caine's Glass Houses (first book). I also warned that the ending of her books are cliff-hangers.

^^ lol.
Nov 22, 2008 3:14 PM

Sep 2008
Apparently Sarah Dessen is a good author but I haven't read anything by her yet. My friend said they aren't the normal super happy books and what not and that you can't really know what to expect. City of Bones/Ashes were good....not amazing but they had there moments.
Nov 26, 2008 4:00 PM

Apr 2008
I've been reading Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger (the author of The Catcher in the Rye). I have mixed feelings about this book so far, since some stories are better than others. As of now, my favorite stories are "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" and "The Laughing Man".

After this, I plan on reading Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire". I really liked the movie, so I want to give the book a shot.
Dec 19, 2008 6:10 PM

Oct 2008
PockyBebop said:
After this, I plan on reading Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire". I really liked the movie, so I want to give the book a shot.

I read "Interview with the Vampire". I liked a lot. I thought it best that the film. xD

I'm to read Seven stories of mystery and horror - Edgar Allan Poe
Sounds good.

Twilight Sucks.
Dec 19, 2008 6:13 PM

Nov 2008
Edgar Allen Poe is a genius. His stuff is so creepy. XD
But it keeps you hooked, unlike Brekaing Dawn which I fell asleep at every two pages.
Dec 19, 2008 7:28 PM

Oct 2008
Edgar Allan Poe is the best! xD
ooh you read braking dawn? you have courage! xD
I just read Twilight, and even the half only xD

Because twilight is so famous? -_-

ps: and sorry my bad english! xD
Dec 20, 2008 9:18 AM

May 2008
After reading just the chapter summaries of Twilight I felt that my time would have been better spent experimenting with inhalants from under my sink.

Luckily, I have a large personal library (fine, it's like two bookcases). Pretty much anything by Stephen King is good, specifically IT, Skeleton Crew, 'Salem's Lot and Duma Key. Also, there's this book I read called Jesus Weed, but it was never published in the States, but if you can find a copy buy it and read it, it's one of my favorites.

Not to mention Dracula...

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
Dec 21, 2008 7:37 PM

Oct 2008
xDDD

I read only up to page. 238 and it was a sacrifice. ._.'

Jesus Weed sounds good. But it if was not launched in States, here in Brazil should not have, which is a pity :/
But i like Stephen King <3

ohh Drácula (ll)
May 18, 2009 2:19 PM
May 2009
Well, if it's vampires, I'd say Anne Rice's books are amazing! But in general I really love Sarah Ash. The plots and people are a bit confusing, but very well written!

On the subject of anti-Twilight, I'd like to add my favorite quote: "Twilight made me miss Lestat" :D
Sep 24, 2009 7:04 AM

May 2009
I hated twilight, I only watch Anne Rice vampire movies because I hate to read her works but there's a great vampire series thats been out for awhile now called The Vampire Diaries ... I dont recall who the author is & a friend stole my books a couple years back. Oh plus the channel called the CW now airs a series called The Vampire Diaries & its based after the book series ended so I think its pretty awesome to both read & watch for vampire lovers that enjoy a good vs evil in the form of brothers hehe
Church of Violence {Black Lagoon rp}: Eda | The God's World: Eris, Goddess of Discord
~Bleach Rp Club~: Ryoko Matsumoto | --BleaCH RP~: Ikkaku Madarame & Hiyori Sarugaki

Oct 11, 2009 2:24 AM

Nov 2008
I do post some short book reviews on my MAL blog...

Lately, the best that I've read is Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games series. Absolutely wonderful plot (that bested Twilight by a few gazillion times)

Maria V. Snyder's worth a read too. But if you want an author who'd never disappoint, try Garth Nix.
Apr 8, 2010 4:08 PM

May 2009
Bram Stoker, anyone?
Apr 9, 2010 6:23 AM

Aug 2009
Autors of fictional vampire books I respect: Bram Stoker [ Dracula], Richelle Mead [ Vampire Academy Series ], Anne Rice [The fudge?! Everything she writes is amazing and original ] !!! Oh amd also Sergei Lukyanenko [ The Night Watch Trilogy ]

Jun 14, 2010 5:00 PM

Nov 2009
The Immortal Series by Alyson Noel (there are two dots above the e)
It has to do with two immortals and one jealous ex-wife in the first book
Currently reading second book (Weird part is the in the reviews it says if you're a fan of the Twilight Series, you'll love Immortals(there nothing in common between these two book seriers))

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Jul 2, 2010 4:46 PM
Jan 2008
Here's some of my suggestions:

His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman
Artemis Fowl series, by Eoin Colfer
Anything by Dan Brown. He may be a teensy bit overrated himself, but he does write some engaging novels.
Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind
Harry Potter series. Also overhyped, yes, but still fun to read. And yes, the books are WAY better than the movies.
1984, by George Orwell
Anthem, by Ayn Rand
The Blue Girl, by Charles de Lint
Jul 2, 2010 4:47 PM
Jan 2008
Also, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
Jul 21, 2010 10:18 PM

Mar 2010
I have to second earlier comments about Bram Stoker's Dracula and anything by Edgar Allan Poe. I also liked The Lady of the Shroud; I think it's one of the better of Bram Stoker's works. Though Dracula is the crowning jewel, for certes.

Though the genre is quite dissimilar from Bram Stoker's and Edgar Allan Poe's works, I really love Alexandre Dumas. The Count of Monte Cristo is my favorite book.

Also, I've never read anything by Anne Rice 'cause I'm a total diehard Dracula fan (read it five times--it's one of my favorite books). Anyone here read both (and Dracula first)? I'm not sure if I'd like any Anne Rice stuff, so I wonder if someone other Dracula fans have read her work and have an opinion.

I've heard the Night Watch series is awesome, I plan to read it when my brother can lend it to me...
OtakuLizOct 8, 2010 11:09 AM
That which does not kill us... still hurts like bloody hell.
Gee, thanks, Nietzsche.
Dec 8, 2011 12:49 PM
Jul 2011
I've read A Separate Peace and a few books by Dean Koontz, I'm currently reading A Great And Terrible Beauty^^
That awkward moment when you're watching yaoi then all of a sudden someone walks in...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Why do people like twilight?

InvisibleMelody - Jun 13, 2013

0 by InvisibleMelody »»
Jun 13, 2013 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.