Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2010 2:04 AM

Dec 2009
What do you think about the average voting range here on MAL? I've caught myself more than a few times raving about how high it is, given that it's nearly 8.0... which, to me, is pretty ridiculous. I've always thought a fair voter's average ranges between 4.0 and 6.0.

My personal average is 5.7 at the moment. Any thoughts on your own?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 8, 2010 1:09 AM
Sep 2009
My average seems to be around 8 points, which as you said is pretty high. The reason it's so skewed is because I generally tend to be so disgusted with anime that aren't at least a "6" on my scale that I immediately stop watching or avoid ever touching it in the first place. I just consider my time too valuable to actually sit through material that doesn't have enough redeeming value to qualify for a 6 at the very least. I mean, even if I had all the time in the world, there are so many other anime out there that are superior that I might as well devote my time elsewhere.

I assume the same is generally the case with the average user on this site. We're not professional critics so why should we waste time with bad or mediocre anime? I say just skip 'em and don't bother even giving a score.
Feb 8, 2010 1:20 AM

Dec 2009
Most of my lower scores (1 to 4) are movies... I'll watch just about anything if it's short enough. I haven't encountered a full series yet that I've dropped entirely on account of the fact that... well, I'm just too stubborn to start something and not finish it. I try to keep scoring relative, though, meaning my being able to finish an anime doesn't necessarily affect its score.

You bring up a good point, though... honestly, that stubbornness is probably the sole reason my score is as centered as it is.
Feb 9, 2010 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
XTApocalypse said:
I've always thought a fair voter's average ranges between 4.0 and 6.0.
It depends. I have actually two scales on which I rate anime (the “as objective as possible artistic” standard and the “subjective badass” standard) which I sometimes average together (such as in TTGL's case, as well as Megazone 23, and many others) or just rate separately (such as in Texhnolyze's case, or Angel Cop). This arose due to my interest in most of the trashy, usually unintelligent, gore-spattered gobbly-gook of OVAs and films from the late-80’s/early-90’s period, yet I wanted to maintain my respect for exceptionally produced series like Evangelion, Texhnolyze, etc.

Also, I found that the 10-point rating system is a little unnecessary. I only really use six of the ten ratings, since “3” signifies that it was awful but just bad enough to keep my attention to the bitter end, while “4” pretty much means the same thing with only minor differences. Points 5-10 all have noticeable differences and meaningful reasons behind the rankings.

Personally, my average is 7.8. Admittedly it’s a bit high, but I tend to drop series that really suck, so they’re never counted as part of the average. I’m also relatively easy to please on my subjective scale, so most things I watch will probably end up with at least a 6 (the “somewhat underwhelming” ranking on my scale). Not to mention that at least half my list is made up of old OVAs that I rated 7’s or 8’s due merely to unsubstantiated badass factor (lol).
Feb 10, 2010 1:17 AM

Dec 2009
I can't remember whose profile it was on, but I found a rather nice summary for my never dropping a series. It makes me feel like the effort I put into watching the series up to that point was just wasted... which is why I'll never watch an insanely long series (usually shonen) without having some prior experience with it or having something that tells me I'm sure to enjoy it at least somewhat.

If a series were bad enough for me to drop entirely I suppose it would earn a "0/10" rating... actually, come to think of it, people could still keep series they'd dropped on the Dropped section of their list and give them low scores. That would keep the average pretty even, wouldn't it?
Aug 18, 2010 3:56 PM

Aug 2009
My completed manga average is a score of 7.5... It's rather high, but that's because the lists of "dropped" and "completed" have different averages. If there were a total average, however, I'm pretty sure everyone's average would be drastically lower.

Another factor that is always important when rating is experience. I know there are things in my list which I found amazing a year ago or so which I honestly think are pretty mediocre now. As you read and watch more series, you become a harsher critic I think. You begin to compare series which are really similar to each other and find out that your favorite series was, in fact, pretty typical and not that amazing at all...
Aug 21, 2010 11:29 AM

Dec 2009
When this thread was started it was referring to the total average, which we used to have before the site was modified. The overall site average was 8.0 between all list entries, including dropped ones.

My ratings haven't changed but slightly over the years, and I've never loved an anime series only to find out it was later average. I've always thought great series were great, average was average, and poor was poor. I consider myself a consistent critic, personally.
Oct 24, 2010 5:24 PM

Aug 2009
Oh, I'm sorry I wasn't aware of the overall average that was before.

I'm sure after a while your ratings will become consistent. But the first handful of titles you read/watched were probably somewhat new to what you were used to. As you read more and see various plots and stereotypes repeated over and over again, (At least I) can't help looking back at some of the titles from back then and seeing how common it was. How over-used and stereotypical it was. But at the time, it was my first time seeing such a thing and it was new and interesting.

All I'm trying to point out is that those whom have just begun exploring manga and anime might give series higher ratings for being "new", at least to them. As they begin to read more, they'll see how many of the plots new to the western market are rather over-used in Japan.
Oct 30, 2010 11:10 AM

Dec 2009
I think the vast majority of the overused ones are overused everywhere, not just in Japan, personally. Pretty much every tween-demographic protagonist is a loud-mouthed, tactless class clown who manages to "rise above it all" with the power of friendship or teamwork and become the best at whatever it is the series is about, and yet look at Naruto. Still one of the most popular characters on MAL.
Nov 4, 2010 6:23 PM

Aug 2009
I am not necessarily saying that Japan has extremely original ideas compared to all other different types of series out there. They do, however, have some ideas which are not used often in western media (Shinigami, demons, ect). Those are present in Western media to a certain degree, but very often when you find read a manga that includes something of that sort, it usually is your first time exposed to those ideas. Those small details, not necessarily the story as a whole, make some series seem new, fresh, and original.

For example, many people I know found CardCaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon to be beyond original due to their female protagonists with magical powers. Yet, as you dig deeper into anime and manga, you discover there is an insane amount of Magical Girl series all around. I think that may also apply to Naruto, since it is one of the few ninja animes that actually reached the western market and that is so long as well, giving the media plenty of reason to give it so much attention.
Nov 6, 2010 2:00 PM

Dec 2009
True enough. But I don't think the number of people who sign up to this site and get into anime at the same time, then drop the site is a significant enough number to contribute much to the trend. The vast majority of the people who even visit this site are going to be pre-established anime fans of some degree.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Best and Worst Subs/Dubs

XTApocalypse - Dec 31, 2009

9 by XTApocalypse »»
Feb 10, 2010 5:29 PM

» Questions and Feedback Thread

XTApocalypse - Feb 6, 2010

0 by XTApocalypse »»
Feb 6, 2010 2:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.