Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2010 10:29 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I knew they were going to lose a point before the end, but it still shocked me when it happened.
Aug 15, 2010 12:35 PM

Jul 2008
Shit, they scored
Aug 15, 2010 12:49 PM

Jul 2007
Heh, that was pretty intense.
Aug 15, 2010 2:02 PM

Aug 2009
KuroDubZero said:
I knew they were going to lose a point before the end, but it still shocked me when it happened.

I really didn't see it coming at all.

Of course, afterwards "SHIT CLIFFHANGER!"
Aug 15, 2010 2:32 PM

Aug 2010
that was really intense i really liked when kuro and that big blonde guy (forgot the name) were fighting about the hair even though they didnt understand anything from what the other said
Aug 15, 2010 2:53 PM

Jul 2009
Shi- ... And here I thought retards only appear in Death Note, apparently Giant Killing has one too: Sir Kubota!!!

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Aug 15, 2010 3:28 PM

May 2009
Yeah, intense is the perfect word to describe this episode. Waiting a week will be torturous.
Aug 15, 2010 4:51 PM

Jun 2009
Very exciting first 20 minutes. Good episode to welcome the start of the Premier League.

The Kuro and Hauer argument was funny and it looks like that guy that always looks confused for Osaka will give ETU a lot of problems.
Aug 15, 2010 7:54 PM

Mar 2008
Gettin hot~ x3
Aug 15, 2010 10:09 PM

Aug 2008
Oh shit! Dammit! You had to fell for it Kiyokawa... It's all Kiyokawa's and Kuroda's fault dammit! Maybe we were expecting Osaka getting the first goal on the scoreboard... Kiyo's 'cause he fell for Katayama's feints... C'mon!! Wake up and see that he's not as hard to read... plus he will always feint you... whatever it comes, he will always feint so please read that prick correctly...

Kuroda... his argument with Hauer was amusing as hell.. although they didn't understand a bit between each other they actually understood that they were mocking each other about their hair hahaha... that was actually hilarious... BTW all that talking and the things Kuro said that the most important thing about being a Centerback is positioning and timing, reminded me of Cannavaro.. maybe he's not as awesoem as Canna... but damn he really looks like him hahah

Oh that Kubota guy... looks like he'll be the most troublesome out of the four... He's the fast unpredictable guy... plus has that long lost face that makes him so... ugh... dunno but looks like he will be a pain in the ass since Sugie (the best marker of ETU) can came up with a way to stop that prick... Oh and that other guy... Osaka's Number 10... Man if Mr. ETU could stop him.... Dammit

Besides that, you guys didn't mention a thing about ETU's attack... you might say there was none... but the only bit it was about ETU's offense was interesting... since Osaka's No. 5 was thinking up all about ETU's offense... I Dunno but I bet that that play Ouji made was all a trap to pull #5 right into that spot and let him see that Tsubaki can actually attack... Oh gosh this is so interesting

Oh and looks like next episode is ETU's turn to attack!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2010 4:18 AM

Jan 2009
i like how they animated the ball handling maneuvers of the osaka gunners darn thats really cool and lol if ETU wins this game it looks like they are only winning against strong teams so maybe thats why this anime is called Giant Killing i thought by the title of this anime they are gonna have a super winning streak
degAug 16, 2010 4:27 AM
Aug 16, 2010 9:21 AM

Dec 2008
I really like how the ball handling was handled. That was nice. Kubota definitely seems to be the most troublesome.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Aug 16, 2010 1:00 PM

Nov 2009
Quoting myself from the topic of last episode:

mehmed said:
Anyway, next episode is going to be cool. I just hope that they cover whole match next episode. I really don't want to see the episode ending with ETU falling back at some point around the half time again.

This show is too slow. I would have probably dropped it now if it was not just 6 episodes left.
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Aug 16, 2010 3:19 PM
Aug 2010
mehmed said:
Quoting myself from the topic of last episode:

mehmed said:
Anyway, next episode is going to be cool. I just hope that they cover whole match next episode. I really don't want to see the episode ending with ETU falling back at some point around the half time again.

This show is too slow. I would have probably dropped it now if it was not just 6 episodes left.

...I´ve been a lurker in here for like FOREVER, but I just HAD to quote this. Heck, I even got an account to be able to do so.

It´s just that, as a sports manga/anime fan, I don´t understand where you´re coming from AT ALL. I mean...WHY the hell should the game end in the same episode it started?

It´s been HYPED and BUILD UP as a pretty big, epic game.
There´s no way it should last less than 3 or 4 episodes. It´s the way these things work.

"Too slow"? Yeah, right.

Someone like you would DIE from watching/reading Slam Dunk. ^^0
In manga/anime, epic games are LONG(thank God for that). Can´t handle it? There´s plenty of other genres out there...
Aug 16, 2010 10:36 PM

Mar 2009
That was amazing and yet so disappointing. I loved what Tatsumi said... "Shit." That just sums that who deal up in one word... Ok its time for Gino and Tsubaki (he's my favorite) to get going. --- Randy
Aug 17, 2010 2:48 PM

Nov 2009
*yawn*. For some reason i do get the tension from the match and stuff but it is just so slow. You know something is wrong when you watch a twenty minute episode and it covers 15 minutes of the match. I don't think the problem lied much in this episode, but the last episode using twenty minutes to get my hyped up; i expected to see more happen in exchange.

I will admit though, i am obviously not a huge fan of sports. I agree with Mehmed, and everyone has their preferences and right to voice them. The first step to proving him wrong would be to understand him first which you clearly didn't do since you said so yourself...
Aug 17, 2010 4:06 PM
Aug 2010
helur said:
I will admit though, i am obviously not a huge fan of sports. I agree with Mehmed, and everyone has their preferences and right to voice them. The first step to proving him wrong would be to understand him first which you clearly didn't do since you said so yourself...

...not so complicated.
I´m guessing he just doesn´t like the genre much, just like you. No big mistery here.

I don´t think I have to "prove him wrong". As you just said, he has the right to voice his opinion.

But if you want me to elaborate on my reasoning, here we go:

You both think this match is "slow". I think that´s not the case.

In this episode, we had scenes featuring Tatsumi, Dulfer, coach Blanc, the "duels" of the ETU´s defenders(Kubota/Sugie, Kuroda/Hauer, Katayama/Kiyokawa), the Murakoshi/Shimura situation in the midfield and Gino´s "mysterious mistake" that will obviously become relevant later, and the goal scene.

Even if you count only 2 minutes to show each one of these situations, it´s pretty obvious that this episode had a fair amount of CONTENT.

If you don´t like the characters, or the humor(Kuroda was priceless in this episode), or the inner monologues, that´s a different issue. It would mean you just don´t like the show´s style, and that´s fine. Different shows for different tastes.

But "slow"? What did you expect? This is a big match, the climax of the season.

Ookiku Furikabutte has a game that is ELEVEN EPISODES long(the fricking awesome Nishiura x Tosei match). Slam Dunk has a game that lasts for SIX VOLUMES(the legendary Shohoku x Sannoh match).

Long, detailed, drawn-out games are a part of the backbone of this GENRE.
Giant Killing is a manga/anime made for those who appreciate this fact. Sports manga/anime fans.

So, yeah, I´m not saying you guys are "wrong". But if you don´t like sports and just want the game to "hurry up and end already", maybe this show is just not for you.

The Osaka Gunners x ETU lasts for
in the manga.
It´s NOT supposed to be a short match.

This anime is no masterpiece, but it´s at least pretty faithful to the original source. If you call that "being slow", that just shows you also wouldn´t enjoy the manga(or most works from this particular genre).
Tensai_SakuragiAug 17, 2010 4:16 PM
Aug 17, 2010 6:38 PM

Jul 2008
well looks like osaka is stronger then they thought
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 18, 2010 2:34 AM

Mar 2009
Kuro and Hauer's argument was hilarious.

Anyway, looks like ETU's gotta score some goals if they don't wanna be beaten.
Aug 18, 2010 8:50 AM

Mar 2009
Intense episode is intense!

I can't believe people are still complaining about the pacing of this show, and this was episode 20? WTF?!?!

If you don't like it, why are you still watching it...for one.
For two, it's a sports anime....have you ever seen a sports anime?

Like the guy said above, why would you want it to end with one episode?
They took an episode and a half just to build up to this game, it'll be at least 2 or 3 more episodes, and it should be.

I'm still loving this show, and I'm hoping for another season!

Urahara Out!!
Aug 18, 2010 9:24 AM

Dec 2009
ios said:
i like how they animated the ball handling maneuvers of the osaka gunners darn thats really cool and lol if ETU wins this game it looks like they are only winning against strong teams so maybe thats why this anime is called Giant Killing i thought by the title of this anime they are gonna have a super winning streak

It would be pretty boring if they only had winning streaks,don't you think~?
Aug 21, 2010 6:22 AM

Mar 2010
Kuroda is awesome. Too bad he got beaten in the air. :(
Aug 21, 2010 10:19 AM

Jun 2008
That other coach can play the big guy because he has the players. It seems all those players are very very good.
Anyway ETU will certainly hit back because this time Tatsumi didn't just put one striker alone. There are two strikers and with Tsubaki's speed(noticed how he doesn't play a big defending role like some other matches but a guy attacking from the back?) and Gino's passing they can cause trouble if they can get the ball on the opponent's half.
Osaka gunners must have a relatively weak defense since they have many players attacking. So ETU should be able to score now that the offense is stronger. They just have to find a way to hold the ball and go on the offense.
Aug 22, 2010 2:29 AM

Nov 2007
Gah, Dori!! Nooo. D: First goal he's let in (that I can remember us seeing...)

Methinks Gino's pass to Tsubaki which didn't connect was a setup to make Osaka think he's not on top of his game. I mean, come on. It's Gino. :P
Aug 23, 2010 3:24 AM

May 2008
Sera and Natsuki isnt getting much screentime for the last 2 episodes and Akasaki is getting a little annoying but i understand his intentions still if they keep quarreling there is no way they can win =(

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 28, 2010 4:38 PM

Sep 2009
Tensai_Sakuragi said:
helur said:

...not so complicated.
I´m guessing he just doesn´t like the genre much, just like you. No big mistery here.

I don´t think I have to "prove him wrong". As you just said, he has the right to voice his opinion.

But if you want me to elaborate on my reasoning, here we go:

You both think this match is "slow". I think that´s not the case.

In this episode, we had scenes featuring Tatsumi, Dulfer, coach Blanc, the "duels" of the ETU´s defenders(Kubota/Sugie, Kuroda/Hauer, Katayama/Kiyokawa), the Murakoshi/Shimura situation in the midfield and Gino´s "mysterious mistake" that will obviously become relevant later, and the goal scene.

Even if you count only 2 minutes to show each one of these situations, it´s pretty obvious that this episode had a fair amount of CONTENT.

If you don´t like the characters, or the humor(Kuroda was priceless in this episode), or the inner monologues, that´s a different issue. It would mean you just don´t like the show´s style, and that´s fine. Different shows for different tastes.

But "slow"? What did you expect? This is a big match, the climax of the season.

Ookiku Furikabutte has a game that is ELEVEN EPISODES long(the fricking awesome Nishiura x Tosei match). Slam Dunk has a game that lasts for SIX VOLUMES(the legendary Shohoku x Sannoh match).

Long, detailed, drawn-out games are a part of the backbone of this GENRE.
Giant Killing is a manga/anime made for those who appreciate this fact. Sports manga/anime fans.

So, yeah, I´m not saying you guys are "wrong". But if you don´t like sports and just want the game to "hurry up and end already", maybe this show is just not for you.

The Osaka Gunners x ETU lasts for
in the manga.
It´s NOT supposed to be a short match.

This anime is no masterpiece, but it´s at least pretty faithful to the original source. If you call that "being slow", that just shows you also wouldn´t enjoy the manga(or most works from this particular genre).

You said everything that I'd have said.

we've waited so long for show like GK to appear and it was exactly what we've been longing for to compensate us for the few poor-made sport animes out there.

if you don't appreciate the awesomeness of this show then there is always some new dull animes that bumps up every month to enjoy yourselves with.

also really liked the ep and it's just like what Akasaki anticipated, the difference in quality is the main problem rather than quantity.

although Kio and Kuro done well considering their previous performance it still was not enough to stop Osaka from scoring.

poor Sugie, got nutmegged perhaps for the first time in his career.
Oct 3, 2010 7:50 PM

Aug 2010
Kubo reminds me a lot of Tsubaki; they look similar, act similar, and they play similarly as well. The biggest difference is that Kubo seems a little more awkward...O and Osaka getting that goal really annoys me. Them scoring is inevitable, but Kuroda didn't even listen to Tatsumi. I hate how much ETU's pride gets in the way of them playing effectively.
Jun 24, 2013 12:10 PM

Jul 2011
Kubota is so quirky. I love his little tricks!

It doesn't matter how many episodes it takes to cover a match. It matters how interesting and how much it draws you in...regardless of whether you like sports anime or not.

Is that Tatsumi... irritated? XD
Oct 15, 2013 5:58 PM

Jul 2012
I can't believe I used to hate Kuroda. He makes this show a lot more interesting now!
Sep 7, 2014 3:59 PM

Apr 2014
Kuroda vs Hauer LOL

I know this game is focused more on how the defense is able to overcome the Gunners' aggressive offense, but I want more Gino pls
Dec 17, 2015 2:47 AM

Jan 2010
LOAD said:
Kuroda vs Hauer LOL

I know this game is focused more on how the defense is able to overcome the Gunners' aggressive offense, but I want more Gino pls

This :D

Also that Kubota dude is weird...but extremely effective

Oh well, 1-0 up for Osaka...i hope they'll manage to come back, these guys are very strong

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 20, 2015 8:34 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Tatsumi is mad now seeing as Kuroda left his marking. I'm curious as to what role Kubota plays. So far he seems to have good area vision but he appears like nervous.

Sep 15, 2020 3:21 PM

Dec 2007
it seems to me that tatsumi really relayed on small points than large ones, like his plans are 70% in some situations and not certainly.

kuroda really messed up his role.

hope ETU will make it.
Jan 25, 2021 7:40 PM

Jul 2019
Kuroda is very naive aerial is just as important as positioning and timing. Tatsumi shouldn't have started him
May 30, 4:09 AM

Jun 2022
So They Gonna Build Opp. First Then Cut Them Down . This Episode Came Off As So So Cuz Of That . Better Make Up In Next Episode .

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheRealNeji - Sep 5, 2010

52 by Revillo_Phoenix »»
Jul 30, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alexstratz - Sep 26, 2010

76 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 25 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Sep 19, 2010

45 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 24 Discussion

starrysky - Sep 12, 2010

46 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 22 Discussion

BlackListHunter - Aug 29, 2010

40 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 4:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.