Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It took 3 episodes but this show got some laughs out of me. The pigeon dub and Fubuki looking for her glasses, that ancient joke still makes me laugh.
Oct 25, 2020 10:41 AM

Feb 2020
OK episode,I'll keep watching.
Oct 25, 2020 10:58 AM

Jul 2017
Well, I can say that this episode has finally made me giggle some.

The pigeon dubbing, as old as the joke is, is quite legit funny, and that's what the RDeco and Tokonatsu duos need for their next comedy act to get their act together.

Oh ho, so the Freak! and BANBANBAN duos are voiced by their respective characters, of course, what to expect better than to be your own VA since you're a well-established stand-up comedian in Japan...with varying styles. Ph well, the 4 girls most likely had some idea going around.

Another new duo formation: Tsundora, because comedy is subjective, and JK Cool's comedy act is truly on another level.

Quote of the episode: "Pigeons are invading the earth one peanut at a time lol"
Oct 25, 2020 11:18 AM

Jan 2019
This anime is so absurdly boring that I don't know how I managed to watch it until the third episode. I thought it could get better, but this is not happening. The Lucky Star author no longer exists. Maesetsu is written by a beginner. Dropped.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 25, 2020 11:54 AM

Mar 2019
Well...having a high goal is always good but you really have to work very hard for it...one day they will be probably as good as JKCool, they are good, really good.

It often only takes the one person who cheer you up, one person said Freak was kinda cool and they were very happy already. So yeah sometimes we need to be that one person as well.
Oct 25, 2020 12:36 PM

Aug 2019
I didn’t really want to drop this considering I like the character interactions between each other and the art style, but the actual stand up comedy falls flat for me so maybe it’s because of cultural differences but the jokes just seemed kinda cringy most of the time.
Oct 25, 2020 1:14 PM

Sep 2019
I wish this wasn’t a 20 min show.
Oct 25, 2020 2:13 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Still a really bad show me didn't laugh at all... my mouth didn't even move a single bit lol
Oct 25, 2020 6:17 PM

Apr 2019
Ryoketsu said:
This anime is so absurdly boring that I don't know how I managed to watch it until the third episode. I thought it could get better, but this is not happening. The Lucky Star author no longer exists. Maesetsu is written by a beginner. Dropped.
it's hard to believe it's written by the same person :(. I didn't even smile or have a change of facial expression this whole episode...

Oct 25, 2020 8:28 PM

Sep 2019
It was alright I guess, I didn't laugh at all though, if they can't brush up the material by ep5 then I'm out. Still interesting to explore stand-up comedy through anime though!
Oct 25, 2020 9:07 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay. As the continuity from the previous episode, they tried to evaluate their performance. Well, the result was predictable, i don't even had a good chuckle over their stand-up comedy. But, to their surprised, someone loved it. Yeah, who else rather than Mafuyu little sister and her friend, Kanae. Lol. Its really helped Mafuyu a lot against a stressed that visited her. Well, they even wanted to form a group of comedian too? Well, its cliche. I shall say this at once: no girls, please. Its enough with that two not-so-funny groups xD, seriously. The slice of life comedy elements sometimes could hit and miss very fast. Its same with these one too. The pigeon dubbing time, to be honestly, quite good, when the others just a train wreck. Even that JK duo too. Its missed so much on me, i mean, the hell was that? Joking about a wedding cake combined with a math? Well then! But, the Freak! session was actually nice too. Its made me grin a little, especially when they mentioned and dubbed Kento Ito a bit its really my highlight. Well, at least one person love it too, and the girls regained more motivation. So, as an overall, nothing could stop them to work harder. Lets see their next attempt to gained more confidence and audience, or maybe they found a good material too. Who knows?
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 25, 2020 11:53 PM
Aug 2019
I don't believe the understanding of what Maesetsu is, is translating to the viewers in the west. I find it funny. Not hilarious yet but the pigeon bit was close. You cant compare this style of comedy to the style standup in US. Its apples and pears to compare the two. Maybe it helps that i am older and lived in the east for a while so i have a little experience with the style.
Oct 26, 2020 4:35 AM
Jan 2010
I still think this is not a comedy anime, more like an anime about the struggles of being in the comedy industry in Japan. Of course there are bits of comedy sprinkled around but imo it’s not the core of the anime.

Perceiving Maesetsu in that way makes me view the anime very differently. Suddenly all those “unfunny jokes” become something that is what you would expect of someone who’s just starting out in comedy or just can’t seem to get their big break.

And the of course there’s also the idea that comedy is subjective.

Overall I like the premise and I enjoy those bits of funny gag that they tried, even if I only get a chuckle every once in a while at this moment.
Oct 27, 2020 4:11 PM
Jul 2019
The characters ears on their cheeks reminds me of Denzel Crocker so I kept imagining what this show would be like if he was in the mix thinking that the 4 girls had Fairly God Parents.
Oct 29, 2020 9:39 PM

Oct 2012
I'd say the girls' acts are more amusing than funny but what I really love is their earnestness.
Oct 30, 2020 6:11 PM

Oct 2008
the comedy is still far-teched but let's see where this goes...
3/5.

Nov 1, 2020 1:09 PM

Mar 2009
modboy said:
I'd say the girls' acts are more amusing than funny but what I really love is their earnestness.

Yeah, their earnestness is what keeps me watching. I want to see them succeed, even if the comedy falls flat for me.

Felt bad for the older duo. The random audience member complimenting them was nice though.
Nov 8, 2020 10:42 AM

Oct 2017
Ofc the imouto and friend will make a duo too. Also ouch senpais duo failed hard.
Nov 13, 2020 9:51 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I actually thought the act of the senpais was kinda funny! I think they just have to work on comedic timing.
I liked this episode in general though!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Feb 18, 2021 2:46 AM

Jul 2015
Stand-up comedy is a tough world, you either have the talent to excel like the JK cool group or you heavily struggle like those senpai

Oct 5, 7:05 AM
Jul 2017
i dont know it just to plain

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maesetsu! Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 27, 2020

16 by Lolicon »»
Feb 25, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Maesetsu! Episode 6 Discussion

Ashhk - Nov 15, 2020

10 by Muow »»
Dec 15, 2022 4:38 AM

Poll: » Maesetsu! Episode 4 Discussion

Ashhk - Nov 1, 2020

11 by Muow »»
Dec 14, 2022 10:54 PM

Poll: » Maesetsu! Episode 1 Discussion

MrAwesome2018 - Oct 7, 2020

34 by Muow »»
Dec 13, 2022 8:05 AM

» Why Does This Have A Low Rating?

Roderick24_ - Nov 26, 2022

2 by KayKimii »»
Nov 27, 2022 2:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.