Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 19, 12:04 PM
Apr 2022
title says it all, on s1 bro would cast one spell in each hand, use crazy mobility and just be a lot more creative, now he's a lot stronger, but he just stands still and casts a spell like any other mage would. If he used his magic like he did in s1
I love mushoku tensei and I think there's some reason behind it, I just don't know what it is
Aug 19, 12:15 PM
Apr 2024
I think nerfing him was for the better
Would you rather have him solo everybody in 5 seconds or actually see him make progress as he fights higher monsters
Aug 19, 12:18 PM
May 2023
you cant compare the hydra the boss of a dungeon with common monsters from s1 but I agree that he is less creative with his magic
Aug 19, 12:28 PM
Nov 2021
in s1 against the giant snake he did just stand still.
Maybe when he has a party in front he focuses more on spells and less on movement, and when he's solo like vs North Saint Gallus he has to move more.
Aug 19, 12:33 PM
Feb 2022
OmarSawaby said:
Would you rather have him solo everybody in 5 seconds or actually see him make progress as he fights higher monsters

at least nerfe him with a reason
Aug 19, 12:40 PM
Aug 2019
Probably because he’s older and used to adventurer dynamics
Aug 19, 12:48 PM
Jan 2021
He doesn't use his cursed eye to it's full capability either
Aug 19, 12:50 PM

May 2024
He hadn't actually fought properly in years before he fought with the hydra. How do you expect him to be at the same level he was while adventuring with Ruijerd and Eris?
Aug 19, 12:51 PM

Jan 2023
Because he had problems to solve so he couldn't be himself anymore. He was depressed.
Aug 19, 1:29 PM

Jul 2015
He quit being reckless.

Aug 19, 1:34 PM
Jan 2024
Could be his staff.
It could be more awkward to hold while running or moving which may limit his ability to move around more.

idk 🤷‍♂️
Aug 19, 2:12 PM
May 2016
OmarSawaby said:

I would rather watch a consistent story. The fights weren't in the focus either way.
Aug 19, 2:15 PM
Feb 2022
From the it’s been a while since I watched the anime but for the LNs at least it sort of explains that he starts to feel most comfortable with his earth magic and specifically his stone cannon. He tends to lean on it because he trusts it and it’s pretty reliable. Same with his Quagmire spell and hence nick name from early s2. I agree that I would love to see more of his creative aspects but that’s the thought process behind it from how I see it.
Aug 19, 2:56 PM

Sep 2016
Because according to many studies, prolonged depression usually leads to long-lasting impairments of cognitive abilities and Rudeus was severely depressed for a long time because of heartbreak and erectile dysfunction. This is why I hold Sylphie & Roxy in high regard for "curing" Rudeus when he was down, especially Sylphie because she realized how important Roxy's action was for his well-being and allowing her to join their relationship because she would have been extremely depressed if she had to leave Rudeus. Sylphie really is the embodiment of kindhearted in my eyes.
Aug 19, 2:57 PM
Apr 2022
Yantama said:
OmarSawaby said:

maybe the depression arc weakened him?
Aug 19, 4:51 PM
Jul 2024
bot3141 said:
title says it all, on s1 bro would cast one spell in each hand, use crazy mobility and just be a lot more creative, now he's a lot stronger, but he just stands still and casts a spell like any other mage would. If he used his magic like he did in s1
I love mushoku tensei and I think there's some reason behind it, I just don't know what it is

1-It's his first time in a labyrinth, he was nervous.
2-He had a false sense of security with Paul and his party being there.
3-The hydra is by far the strongest monster he's encountered who isn't called Orsted or Badigadi, besides maybe the red wyrm he took down.
4-He hasn't done any adventuring in years and hasn't done any adventuring where he was actually at risk since Orsted.
Aug 19, 6:25 PM
Apr 2018
damn bros, i don't want to ruin the fun, but actually it's probably just the budget being nowhere near as much as the one for the first season. Compared to s1, s2 is like a jpeg slideshow to a Imax movie theater experience. Rudeus aint doing shit, bcs there is just not enough cash for the sakuga.
Aug 19, 8:16 PM

May 2021
bot3141 said:

easy answer, Rudeus was in a dungeon and couldn't break the formation, elinalise, paul and thaland had to protect both roxy and Rudy. plus the manatite hydra absorbed most of the magic using its scales, so spells like quagmire or stone canon would be nullified before it reached it. think it as a rock, paper, scissors game and Rudeus on was scissors and the hydra was a rock, just a bad match up
Aug 19, 9:19 PM
Feb 2024
Probably because they lack the budget really the second season dedicated 12 episodes of the show to erectile dysfunction really they could’ve done anything else like progress the plot (not to mention, I can’t stand the pedo crap or the main character) I think I’m done with the show for good. I’ll stick to 12 kingdoms ,konosuba ,overlord, reincarnated as a slime and re-zero basically my reaction to the jobless reincarnation https://youtu.be/pU2VY4vCDug?si=DPrbA4MZjp1J1WEx you all need to rethink why you like the show
boqjyb-Bofrux-miAug 20, 7:20 AM
Aug 19, 9:41 PM
Feb 2021
bot3141 said:

First reason is that he was in a Party that he was not used to work with, so to avoid being in the way or straight up injuring his new teamates, he stuck to the plan they has thought of beforehand and only used surprise spell when in emergency. Second, the hydra was a lot tougher than shown in the anime, this boss is worse in the light novel where they go more in depth with how strong it is. Third, Rudeus spent these last few years not developing new spells or training, he only thought of his and Eris survival and then spreading his name to search for his mother, so he did that by adventuring. On his journey and his quests, he realized that the most effective way to do all of that was to use quagmire, mist ans stone cannon. He became really good and mastered those spells, but doing so, didnt really used or trained other spells. So, when in face of his first labyrinth and some unknown monster, he defaulted to those spells or simple fire spells in the latter half.

With all of that, what the author was actually trying to do was two things. First, he wanted him to experience Paul’s death, opening his eyes on the mistakes he made in how he treated his family in the past and how he was making the same mistakes. By that, he also realized how important Paul was to him and how, despite his flaws, Paul always did his best, was a great dad and he really was Paul’s son. Second, Rudeus became complacent in his training thinking that he didn’t really need to be stronger. Now with a wife and a kid on the way, that was an alarm for him that he needed to be stronger if he wanted to protect his family against anything. So, to sum up, with was a great moment to push the story forward, showing Rudeus he needed to become stronger physically and mentally.
Aug 20, 9:04 AM
Jun 2022
bot3141 said:

It is mostly due to two reasons:

First, an op character is hard to write.
Having Rudy being so powerful and smart in how to use his magic makes every challenge suddenly too easy.
So, the writers nerf the characters to keep him manageable.

Second, during his battle with the Hydra, Mangonote needed to inject some drama, and the easiest way was by having Paul dead.
Unable to find another way to justify that death, Mangonote had Rudy become useless for a second and have everyone conveniently too far away to help.
All so that more drama and pity sex could be put into the story.

Mangonote is a good writer.
But scenarios like those show his weak points.
Aug 20, 9:06 AM
Jun 2022
OmarSawaby said:

Ghislaine could solo her way through everything in under 5 seconds.

I would prefer the story to go up and put Rudy on par with Ghislaine than having everyone powered down.
Aug 20, 9:08 AM
Jun 2022
SimplyBrazen said:
He hadn't actually fought properly in years before he fought with the hydra. How do you expect him to be at the same level he was while adventuring with Ruijerd and Eris?

Rudy did not just jump to the hydra battle.
They adventured a few days before facing it.
The way up and down is the warmup he needed.

Now, Rudy can fly.
It was a big deal back in novel 7.
Why everyone has forgotten about it?
Aug 20, 9:21 AM

Jun 2024
Because he's fighting a boss and not a normal enemy, I guess. Plus, he's in a team in a dungeon and can't just spam nukes, there would be collateral damage.
Aug 20, 9:29 AM

May 2024
Puntosmx said:
SimplyBrazen said:

Now, Rudy can fly.

The hydra wasn't just your average monster of the week, no amount of preparation with fodder enemies could've prepared him for that battle.
Aug 20, 11:18 AM
Apr 2024
Yantama said:
OmarSawaby said:

erectile dysfunction is a valid reason
He can't get his pp up
Aug 20, 3:12 PM
Jun 2022
SimplyBrazen said:
Puntosmx said:

Now, Rudy can fly.

The hydra wasn't just your average monster of the week, no amount of preparation with fodder enemies could've prepared him for that battle.

If Paul's death had been at the start of the battle, or maybe at the middle, it would make sense.

Having 10 heads makes it harder to cut the first and then freeze it. They did that 9 times, and it was the last head the one where they failed? Nonsense.

Consider all the things that had to go wrong for that to happen:
- Rudy spaced out, which as an experienced fighter would not do.
- Rudy had to turn off the eye, which we know he had active from previous scenes.
- Rudy had to be close enough to the hydra, although the strategy was for him to fall back after each head was cut.
- Rudy had to be away from Elinalise and the drawf, who were tasked with protecting the rest.
- Paul had to be close enough to jump and push Rudy away.
- Paul had to be far enough for him to reach Rudy right as the hydra hit and not have time to move away.
- Paul had to bodyslam Rudy and remain in the hit zone for the Hydra, instead of.... maybe.... pulling him to the ground and avoid the hit altogether.
- Elinalise had to be distracted enough to not notice that Rudy was in a vulnerable location, which does not maje sense since a few heads before the hydra had already targetted him.
- Ditto for the dwarf.
- Yet, they both did protect Rudy when the Hydra still had like 4 heads, failing the second time with less targets to look out for is nonsensical.
- Roxy had to be busy doing..... nothing?.... she was back, could see Rudy out of formation, and did not even shout to him, much less cast something to provide cover for him.

As Class S adventurers, it is illogical to accept that Paul, Elinalise, Roxy AND the dwarf all failed so espectacularly at such a basic concept as "protect your wizard".

Yet, it all conveniently aligned so that Paul could die and Rudy could mope for it.
PuntosmxAug 20, 7:46 PM
Aug 20, 4:33 PM
Apr 2022
Piromysl said:
He quit being reckless.

I think this is it, I was thinking of the kidnappers encounter with eris when he was a kid, he used magic to move around a lot, but rudy would've died if it wasn't for ghislaine so you're right
bot3141Aug 20, 4:37 PM
Aug 20, 9:47 PM
Nov 2017
I can think many reason.
1) The higher the spell, the more focus he need, the least he can move around.
2) Hes around advance adventurers, he need to follow them not the other way around.
3) Mentally not prepared for enemy on this magnitude, he cant think straight cause 1 mistake means death.
4) He surrounded by genius/strong people all the time so he might see them do things as the "better" or "correct" way.
Aug 21, 1:22 AM
Sep 2023
OmarSawaby said:

your comment made zero sense
Aug 21, 4:10 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to xay_sama
OmarSawaby said:

your comment made zero sense
@xay_sama What I mean is I don't want Rudy to be as powerful as Saitama so him being less powerful than he was before is a good thing basically
Aug 22, 1:36 AM
Sep 2023
OmarSawaby said:
@xay_sama What I mean is I don't want Rudy to be as powerful as Saitama so him being less powerful than he was before is a good thing basically

the strength of the mc is relatively irrelevant as long as the powerscaling for the mc in the mc's universe is relative to the narrative
Aug 24, 11:45 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to xay_sama
OmarSawaby said:

the strength of the mc is relatively irrelevant as long as the powerscaling for the mc in the mc's universe is relative to the narrative
@xay_sama fair enough
Aug 26, 8:53 AM
Aug 2018
bot3141 said:

i don't understand your point. did you not Watch the first part of s2? He literally climbs a dragon and goes crazy with the movements when saving Sara. Also, Is he less creative? nah. he already esperimented in S1, he discovered which spells are the most effective ones and he uses those. And when he is in a party like in the labyrinth, he cant go full speed in movement since he has to stay in the formation, that's why he's still
Aug 26, 10:35 PM
Aug 2022
Rudy didn't get dumber is s2. The whole show did. Don't try to make sense of this mess. It's a waste of time.
Aug 28, 8:49 AM
Aug 2021
he mostly played support in this season, that's what mages are for. He also didn't have much need for increased mobility, since he didn't fight any swordsman, or stuff like that. But believe me, next season will bring much more "creative" fights
Aug 30, 6:15 AM
Feb 2021
Oriorii said:
Because he had problems to solve so he couldn't be himself anymore. He was depressed.

This is exactly what we don't want to see in an anime as good as this one
Sep 28, 7:09 PM
Nov 2018
bot3141 said:

i think i was the same. when i was in elementary school i was way more creative and productive.

but as i grow up, i learn less, i use the same things i know. get better at them. instead of learning new things.

i think they are trying to portray the above
Yesterday, 2:10 PM
Feb 2022
OmarSawaby said:
Yantama said:

erectile dysfunction is a valid reason
He can't get his pp up

in my case I will be a better person if this happened to me.
because all dumb ideas comes from the pp. especially when your brain is in it.
like rudy.
10 hours ago
Oct 2009
Reply to Puntosmx
SimplyBrazen said:

Now, Rudy can fly.
@Puntosmx Wait Rudy can fly? I know he can propel himself insanely high up but I don't remember any flying and I've finished the LN already

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Sep 24, 2023

473 by ShinXShinra »»
Oct 5, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2023

266 by ShinXShinra »»
Oct 5, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2023

228 by minnaslay127 »»
Sep 24, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Giorgosman13 - Sep 3, 2023

244 by minnaslay127 »»
Sep 24, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2023

359 by minnaslay127 »»
Sep 22, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.