Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 1, 2023 6:19 PM

Sep 2019
I am unsure how to rate this one.

Haruka Tooki is an interesting read. It's a huge mess, the relationship between the main-characters may feel sudden/rushed, the characters seem flat, and based on those kinds of factors - you could even say that it's just a bad manga, compared to other reads. But despite that, the huge amounts of emotions of regret, guilt, wanting to run away so badly - they're so clearly portrayed through the story, and it feels real. Feelings of trying your hardest to get by, while clearly knowing that you're still chained down by the lingering past. People are horrible, memories are temporary, the future is uncertain: where am I supposed to place my faith?

After all they endure, you can't help but feel relief for the characters, when they finally meet their tragic end. You did your best.
Waiting for something to happen?
Mar 9, 2023 8:43 PM
Nov 2019
I feel similarly. The mangaka was successful when it came to religious guilt and bittersweetness , but wasn't invested in characters or story itself. The writing just wasn't up to par.
In some way, it reminded me of 70's BL manga like Heart of Thomas. In that period of time, BL was less about gay romance and more about tragic consequences of it. Haruka Tooki Ie feels like it came from the same time period rather than modern times. In a way, I applaud it for that.
May 25, 2023 12:27 AM

Feb 2021
So sad story indeed. I cried every time when reading such a great story. Still I really hope that they both survived after the car falled in the sea. I want to believe it.
May 25, 2023 2:10 PM
Mar 2023
man...i have to say that i absolutely cried after reading this beautiful story. what really drew me into reading this is the artstyle, but i stayed for the good (but depressing) story. others here said that the relationship between the characters felt rushed but in my opinion, it was probably rushed bc they both realized right away that they were each others salvation and since they both wanted to experience freedom and to break free from their past, they were just glad to have found someone that understands them. i dont know whether it's relatively a good manga or not (i mean... i loved it personally) but reading it, i couldn't help but feel for the two characters and the way they express their pain and desire for leaving the past behind felt very *real* (to me at least) as for the conclusion, as much as i would've loved for them to finally be free, i think it suits the mood of the story bc idk giving them a happy ending would be too predictable (?) yknow as if by magic they fled and they were never found by the police 💀 all in all, i would recommend this manga (i have already 💀) but i'm not sure if it's for everyone.
Sep 30, 2023 3:58 PM
Sep 2023
even before i started reading i knew it was gonna be sad but damn... i'm crying rn this is so tragic yet beautiful 😭
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.