Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 9, 2023 9:41 AM
May 2022
For the people who have read the source material, how is the show doing in comparison?
Sep 9, 2023 10:05 AM

Jan 2021
I'm also curious about that.
Roxy

Sep 9, 2023 10:51 AM

Apr 2013
It's a good adaptation overall. It removes a few stuff, and did a few pretty awkward changes (special mention to the changes in episode 5 for the way Oliver deduces what's going on with Miligan and find where is Katie : they literally changed everything, and the anime version isn't 10% as convincing as the novel version. Anime version is also close of having characters behave out of character to make it "work", which is a pretty bad move imo), sure, but overall it's more faithful than most LN adaptations out there.

Sep 9, 2023 10:55 AM
Oct 2021
I have A question, is it possible for one person to use all the spell blades? or is it only limited to 1 spell blade ?
Sep 9, 2023 11:13 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to Hiro_Ayuzawa
I have A question, is it possible for one person to use all the spell blades? or is it only limited to 1 spell blade ?
@Hiro_Ayuzawa I don't think it was ever said that you can't, however, it's probably nigh impossible to learn even 2 different ones without some kind of seriously underhanded trick about your own body. I doubt anyone body's would resist using several of them for long.

To be clear, spellblades are way more than a regular powerful attack. They bend the laws of reality to achieve that cheat-like one sure hit KO that is only made possible by having the magic field surrounding the user being exactly in tune with that reality bending. So, I don't know if it's clear or not by now, but all mages basically alter reality around them passively. In which manner is dependant of genes, mentality, and so on. Every mage is different. And a spellblade is the ultimate product of those uniqueness. So to use the spellblade of someone else, you would have to literally be that someone else while using it, in mind, in magic field, in body. This is why Oliver's spellblade is destroying his own mind and body whenevr he uses it. It's a borrowed spellblade, not his own. And Oliver has a double big advantage compared to anyone else, one thing he is close of his mother in genes obviously, and the other being something that is yet a spoiler. So ... I don't see it really being possible unless you're willing to destroy yourself mentally and physically on the long run. Borrowing one and using it with parsimony, taking enough time for healing your body and soul in between each use, as Oliver is showing, it's possible provided you've got very, very peculiar circumstances. Borrowing more than one? I can't see that happening. Especially since you would also have to find who has the others and find a way to steal it for them fully.
Sep 9, 2023 4:49 PM
May 2022
Reply to Zefyris
@Hiro_Ayuzawa I don't think it was ever said that you can't, however, it's probably nigh impossible to learn even 2 different ones without some kind of seriously underhanded trick about your own body. I doubt anyone body's would resist using several of them for long.

To be clear, spellblades are way more than a regular powerful attack. They bend the laws of reality to achieve that cheat-like one sure hit KO that is only made possible by having the magic field surrounding the user being exactly in tune with that reality bending. So, I don't know if it's clear or not by now, but all mages basically alter reality around them passively. In which manner is dependant of genes, mentality, and so on. Every mage is different. And a spellblade is the ultimate product of those uniqueness. So to use the spellblade of someone else, you would have to literally be that someone else while using it, in mind, in magic field, in body. This is why Oliver's spellblade is destroying his own mind and body whenevr he uses it. It's a borrowed spellblade, not his own. And Oliver has a double big advantage compared to anyone else, one thing he is close of his mother in genes obviously, and the other being something that is yet a spoiler. So ... I don't see it really being possible unless you're willing to destroy yourself mentally and physically on the long run. Borrowing one and using it with parsimony, taking enough time for healing your body and soul in between each use, as Oliver is showing, it's possible provided you've got very, very peculiar circumstances. Borrowing more than one? I can't see that happening. Especially since you would also have to find who has the others and find a way to steal it for them fully.
@Zefyris Even reading your explanation, it´s still confusing to me. I still don´t really understand what they are and how they work, even after searching the Light Novel´s wiki for it.
Sep 9, 2023 9:10 PM

Oct 2015
Dan_ALves said:
@Zefyris Even reading your explanation, it´s still confusing to me. I still don´t really understand what they are and how they work, even after searching the Light Novel´s wiki for it.

I will try to answer both of your questions.

1) The adaptation is better than most LN adaptation as post #3 mentioned above. There are some skip content such as magic comedy, dialogues and gore.
2) Spellblades is a ‘cheat’ technique that only 7 people wield. The main reason Oliver struggles with his Spellblade is mentioned above in post #5, the Spellblades do not belong to him, he did not inherit/learn from her mother. All these information will be explained in Volume 5 when he goes after his second target.

The author has a habit of explaining the reasoning much later, similar to Tenkyou No Alderamin. So be patient with it. :)
Sep 10, 2023 8:51 AM
May 2022
Reply to NewestPersonHere
Dan_ALves said:

I will try to answer both of your questions.

1) The adaptation is better than most LN adaptation as post #3 mentioned above. There are some skip content such as magic comedy, dialogues and gore.
2) Spellblades is a ‘cheat’ technique that only 7 people wield. The main reason Oliver struggles with his Spellblade is mentioned above in post #5, the Spellblades do not belong to him, he did not inherit/learn from her mother. All these information will be explained in Volume 5 when he goes after his second target.

The author has a habit of explaining the reasoning much later, similar to Tenkyou No Alderamin. So be patient with it. :)
@NewestPersonHere
So a Spellblade is a personal spell? It´s not like the Unforgivable Curses in Harry Potter were everyone has the ability to use them? And Oliver is using a borrowed one, so that´s why it´s taking a toll on him? How are they created? Does the mage do it with intention or is it like Nanao who did it without realizing it?
Since we´re so close to the end of the season, do you think Oliver going after the second target is going to appear in this season still? Or will we have to wait for S2?
Sep 10, 2023 12:50 PM

Sep 2019
I couldn't watch it. I thought the music was good but the rest of it felt very meh.

Light novel is like a dark grounded version of Harry Potter where most characters are messed up in the head because of either magic malpractice or a violent past, but somehow the anime has Zero no Tsukaima-like bright aesthetics and tone? I thought it looked stupid and didn't watch past the first episode. I think J.Staff was a bad pick for this source material.

Sep 10, 2023 1:05 PM

Feb 2021
Surely the light novel is better, although the anime is also very good. I plan to read it after the final episode. Hope that the second season will be announced! I like this series so much!
Sep 10, 2023 9:57 PM

Oct 2015
Dan_ALves said:
@NewestPersonHere
So a Spellblade is a personal spell? It´s not like the Unforgivable Curses in Harry Potter were everyone has the ability to use them? And Oliver is using a borrowed one, so that´s why it´s taking a toll on him? How are they created? Does the mage do it with intention or is it like Nanao who did it without realizing it?
Since we´re so close to the end of the season, do you think Oliver going after the second target is going to appear in this season still? Or will we have to wait for S2?

Spellblade is a ‘cheat’ instant-kill technique that only a few people possess. Every Spellblade is different.
Most of Oliver’s powers will be explained during the fight with his second target.
Most of Spellblades are not explained in the LN yet. As of Volume 8, only 3 types of Spellblades have been used.
How Spellblades are created have not been explained yet.

Oliver will go after his second target at the second half of Volume 5. The anime will likely end at Volume 3.
Sep 11, 2023 5:50 AM
May 2022
Reply to NewestPersonHere
Dan_ALves said:
@NewestPersonHere

Spellblade is a ‘cheat’ instant-kill technique that only a few people possess. Every Spellblade is different.
Most of Oliver’s powers will be explained during the fight with his second target.
Most of Spellblades are not explained in the LN yet. As of Volume 8, only 3 types of Spellblades have been used.
How Spellblades are created have not been explained yet.

Oliver will go after his second target at the second half of Volume 5. The anime will likely end at Volume 3.
@NewestPersonHere So only in Season 2 we will see that, if that happens. Thank you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.