Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 12, 2023 8:08 PM
Feb 2023
Was checking out this discussion forum for something else and then realized there's a full-on rage party going on against Marrine. So everyone wants Marrine to get punished. Here's my argument why it's stupid to expect any kind of punishment for Marrine. Because the ONLY WAY to punish Marrine will be to KILL ALEXIS. No. Seriously.

1. Marrine says in Ep.20 that she was ready to die in her war against the real enemy.
2. She was ready to undergo sexual degradation, kill relatives, massacre people, admits to herself that she doesn't deserve happiness, etc.

So what, or rather whom, does she really care about? Alexis. Alexis is where she draws the line. She will rather give up her own life or the the life of her relatives, allies, soldiers, her virginity, and everything else as long as Alexis is unharmed. 

The only way to make Marrine suffer is to kill Alexis. 

See why it's stupid to expect punishment for Marrine now? OTOH, yeah sure, she did not deserve a happy ending either after all the suffering she caused. Alexis perhaps, should have married another. Not that it will cause her a heartbreak like it would if Alexis dies. But at least she wouldn't have got the happy ending. But there is NO REALISTIC WAY that you can punish Marrine without killing one of the best characters in this anime.
Feb 12, 2023 9:13 PM
Nov 2020
Bruh that's like saying the only way to punish murderers are killing their loved ones. That's not the punishment being meant here. Yes technically anu sort of punishment against her is futile to her emotionally but she is still you know human so a heavy punishment will still affect her. Also, justified punishments are not done simply to hurt a person but to also, remove them from their positions of power to prevent her or anyone to do what she did ever again; and, to you know, give justice to the victims, to give them the respect to see someone who ruined their lives get their just desserts. And before you could say, "Oh revenge is pointless and hurting her will not do anything she was never going to continue her genocide after her defeat", while could be somewhat true doesn't erase the fact that it happened and that while revenge is pointless, a justified punishment allows the victims to heal and start to move on even just a tiny bit. Literally being forgiven instantly just feel wrong and offensive to them. While yes her stance was somewhat... "understandable" in the context of the story, ending with her being defeated by the literal power of love ruins everything. Her values, her decisions, her crimes, her sacrifices, the lives she had killed, all gone and devalued into nothingness cause it turned out all she needed is love. Ha.... Fuck me. This show is fucking horrible and please tell me the light novel was at least decent.
Jay_Burson-510Feb 12, 2023 9:17 PM
Feb 12, 2023 10:20 PM

Jul 2021
I don't think that's how punishment works. That would be vengeance, and a bit extreme at that. And just because she sacrificed herself before doesn't mean that any punishment (other than "killing alexis") would go over her head.

Punishment is not only for the sake of the punished, and suffering is not the only reason for punishment.

What would be appropriate then? At most, stripping her of her power and noble status, and forbidding her from approaching alexis ever again. This would be remedial, preventive, deterring and retributive. So would be death, but I don't hate her (too much), her heart is kind of in the right place and I think she could do a lot of good things with her intelligence and experience to atone.

I don't even remember what happened to her in the end. Was she completely forgiven?
Feb 12, 2023 11:27 PM
Nov 2020
IhnalakoKaina said:
I don't think that's how punishment works. That would be vengeance, and a bit extreme at that. And just because she sacrificed herself before doesn't mean that any punishment (other than "killing alexis") would go over her head.

Punishment is not only for the sake of the punished, and suffering is not the only reason for punishment.

What would be appropriate then? At most, stripping her of her power and noble status, and forbidding her from approaching alexis ever again. This would be remedial, preventive, deterring and retributive. So would be death, but I don't hate her (too much), her heart is kind of in the right place and I think she could do a lot of good things with her intelligence and experience to atone.

I don't even remember what happened to her in the end. Was she completely forgiven?

More like pushed to aside if I remember correctly. Basically everything related to her ended at that arc. We did not see any repercussions, outrage, anything.
Feb 13, 2023 3:56 AM
Feb 2023
IhnalakoKaina said:

Jay_Burson-510 said:
Bruh that's like saying the only way to punish murderers are killing their loved ones. That's not the punishment being meant here. Yes technically anu sort of punishment against her is futile to her emotionally but she is still you know human so a heavy punishment will still affect her.  Also, justified punishments are not done simply to hurt a person but to also, remove them from their positions of power to prevent her or anyone to do what she did ever again; and, to you know, give justice to the victims, to give them the respect to see someone who ruined their lives get their just desserts. And before you could say, "Oh revenge is pointless and hurting her will not do anything she was never going to continue her genocide after her defeat", while could be somewhat true doesn't erase the fact that it happened and that while revenge is pointless, a justified punishment allows the victims to heal and start to move on even just a tiny bit. Literally being forgiven instantly just feel wrong and offensive to them. While yes her stance was somewhat... "understandable" in the context of the story, ending with her being defeated by the literal power of love ruins everything. Her values, her decisions, her crimes, her sacrifices, the lives she had killed, all gone and devalued into nothingness cause it turned out all she needed is love.  Ha.... Fuck me. This show is fucking horrible and please tell me the light novel was at least decent.

Quick question to both of you. If Marrine had to choose between the (1)death of Alexis and (2)giving up the unification of the continent/retaliation against the Mage Academy, which would she have chosen? Don't think about it in the context of the punishment. Just answer it in a general context.
jaune-bananeFeb 13, 2023 4:14 AM
Feb 13, 2023 4:08 AM
Nov 2020
Technically she had already chosen the latter right. Like in the very first episode she gave up the marriage because it just was not meant to be in her eyes and Alexis would've been killed. The reason they decided to fight the Magic Acadeny is becuase of the story's main group.
Feb 13, 2023 4:14 AM
Feb 2023
Jay_Burson-510 said:
Technically she had already chosen the latter right. Like in the very first episode she gave up the marriage because it just was not meant to be in her eyes and Alexis would've been killed. The reason they decided to fight the Magic Acadeny is becuase of the story's main group.

I am sorry. I don't think you got my question right. I meant, if the choices in front of her are:

1. Alexis being harmed (vs)
2. Unification of the continent (and/or) retaliation against the mages

Which would she have chosen? Think of it like the mages knowing her true reasons and blackmailing Marrine by threatening Alexis' life or something.
Feb 13, 2023 4:24 AM
Nov 2020
jaune-banane said:
Jay_Burson-510 said:

I am sorry. I don't think you got my question right. I meant, if the choices in front of her are:

1. Alexis being harmed (vs)
2. Unification of the continent (and/or) retaliation against the mages

Which would she have chosen? Think of it like the mages knowing her true reasons and blackmailing Marrine by threatening Alexis' life or something.

Oh ok sorry. It could honestly be either or but both choices still hinges on Alexis. She could pick the saving Alexis life even if she's gonna ruin the whole world or she could unify and retaliate if she was given an arc or something and Alexis himself request her to protect the world for his sake. Again, either way Alexis is the center of it all.
Feb 13, 2023 3:52 PM
Feb 2023
Jay_Burson-510 said:

Oh ok sorry. It could honestly be either or but both choices still hinges on Alexis. She could pick the saving Alexis life even if she's gonna ruin the whole world or she could unify and retaliate if she was given an arc or something and Alexis himself request her to protect the world for his sake. Again, either way Alexis is the center of it all.

Thank you. Got another question as well. Does the writer say anywhere what was Marrine's plan to get Alexis' crest in her military conquests? Eventually she'd need his crest too for the Grancrest right? Was she planning to face him in battle to get his crest? Or does she say anywhere that she was expecting that he'd give it up willingly? If it's the latter, wouldn't that trigger the Mage Academy to focus on Alexis too, something that she was fighting hard against?
Feb 13, 2023 4:57 PM
Nov 2020
To be honest, I can't remember specifically if she had a plan for that (I was too busy getting angry At Theo for existing). I think, in the anime at the very least, did not show her plan for that predicament but I'm guessing she'll just force Alexis of his crest as quickly as possible so that Alexis won't be attacked by the Academy. Logically, it would be best for her to create a secret group dedicated on just guarding Alexis against the Academy.
Feb 14, 2023 7:03 AM
Feb 2023
Good. Even I don't find her explaining how she intended to get Alexis' crest. Now here's another question to ponder: After the Great Hall tragedy, if there's a choice for her and Alexis to marry, but Alexis' life is not threatened in any way by the true enemy since somehow their matrimony poses no threat to the true enemy, will Marrine have taken that chance? 

I am not sure what she'd have done. If she took that option, then it'd mean she cannot avenge the death of her father, while she'd still have her chance at happiness with Alexis. Will she have done that without the guilt of letting go of her father's killers? 

On the other hand, there's also no bloodshed or strife. Alexis is safe. Her future is safe. etc. etc. Will she have taken the L and went down quietly?

It's all hypothetical. What do you think would she have done based on her character?
Feb 14, 2023 9:19 AM

Mar 2021
jaune-banane said:
Was checking out this discussion forum for something else and then realized there's a full-on rage party going on against Marrine. So everyone wants Marrine to get punished. Here's my argument why it's stupid to expect any kind of punishment for Marrine. Because the ONLY WAY to punish Marrine will be to KILL ALEXIS. No. Seriously.

1. Marrine says in Ep.20 that she was ready to die in her war against the real enemy.
2. She was ready to undergo sexual degradation, kill relatives, massacre people, admits to herself that she doesn't deserve happiness, etc.

So what, or rather whom, does she really care about? Alexis. Alexis is where she draws the line. She will rather give up her own life or the the life of her relatives, allies, soldiers, her virginity, and everything else as long as Alexis is unharmed. 

The only way to make Marrine suffer is to kill Alexis. 

See why it's stupid to expect punishment for Marrine now? OTOH, yeah sure, she did not deserve a happy ending either after all the suffering she caused. Alexis perhaps, should have married another. Not that it will cause her a heartbreak like it would if Alexis dies. But at least she wouldn't have got the happy ending. But there is NO REALISTIC WAY that you can punish Marrine without killing one of the best characters in this anime.
I don't think you understand the effectiveness of prolonged torture. A lot of severely messed up things can be done to her, especially in a world with healing magic, things I would be insta-banned for even beginning to describe. No matter what a person feels they'd be willing to suffer, Day 17 of indescribable agony that will not end is NEVER a scenario one can begin to say they'd willingly endure as they have no basis to understand how much they would regret it....now that I went really dark and made some folks uncomfortable, here's some Senko mind cleansing for ya's!
Feb 15, 2023 1:34 AM
Feb 2023
KainiusTheGreat said:
I don't think you understand the effectiveness of prolonged torture. A lot of severely messed up things can be done to her, especially in a world with healing magic, things I would be insta-banned for even beginning to describe. No matter what a person feels they'd be willing to suffer, Day 17 of indescribable agony that will not end is NEVER a scenario one can begin to say they'd willingly endure as they have no basis to understand how much they would regret it....now that I went really dark and made some folks uncomfortable, here's some Senko mind cleansing for ya's!

Stand down Satan!! Not disagreeing with you though, but for me punishment should be something that makes the punished realize they went too far with their actions. As such, Marinne, while does indeed think she has done something bad, still doesn't think was not warranted at all, as long as Alexis is left unscathed. For her, nothing is too far as long as Alexis is fine.

This is why I want to understand what's Marrine's thinking is really like in the LN. After the Great Hall Tragedy, why did not Marrine chose to not go to war, like Alexis did? Is it because she wanted revenge against those who killed her father? If so, she chose a path that will cause a great deal of destruction and death to the whole continent, but even then it wouldn't guarantee she gets her revenge. As she herself acknowledges, she was fully ready to be killed and she hoped someone else will pick up the mantle after her. She SIMPLY HOPED. And yet, when she went to war, she just didn't know if there was a candidate who'd fight against the real enemy with the same fervour as she did - after all, it is only her that was wronged, so why would anyone else, except maybe Alexis, try and continue that dangerous war. Meaning, she was only going to take a half-assed attempt at revenge because, the most effective attempt at revenge could get Alexis killed.

Ultimately, this boils down to one thing. Marrine has already lost everything and she just wanted to fight because she had nothing else to do. Her father was murdered. But if the wedding had continued despite that and if Alexis and her weren't harmed, perhaps she'd have mourned her father without trying to exact revenge? At the beginning of ep.8 she talks about how she and Alexis can never be together since the real enemy won't let them. But if they could have got together, perhaps she would have tried to put the past behind her, instead of destroying what was left? If the answer to that is an "yes", then Marrine wasn't someone who was "just getting revenge". She was someone from whom everything she valued was taken away and with nothing left, all she could do was to pursue the goal her father had and in the process make those who took everything from her pay for it. That's a character I can sympathize with, even if I don't agree with given how her methods were horrible.
jaune-bananeFeb 15, 2023 1:38 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2018

490 by metalrain_15 »»
Aug 20, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

102 by Inconsistent1 »»
Aug 12, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2018

76 by Airs »»
Jun 9, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2018

86 by IskandarThain »»
May 17, 12:51 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2018

53 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 30, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.