Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 25, 2022 7:09 PM

Jan 2012
I went into this thinking it SAO progressive LN/manga but it turned out they only took some parts from them and tried to go in a different direction. I especially liked the first manga adaption since it was done by the artist of Tawawa on Monday and I was hoping to see his art style adapted into an anime but that didn't end up happening.

Wish they'd stuck with the original progressive story instead of muddling things with a new character and a half assed strained relationship arc. If they were gona had the new girl have a rivalry with Kirito wish they'd actually do something with that. Built up to literally be nothing. That first scene in the beta test where they raced to beat the dungeon before the beta test ended basically amounted to nothing and could be cut entirely. Also the whole leaving her when she had no hope of surviving in that situation didn't feel like a strong reason for why they just split up and didn't party together again. They could've have a more solid party by making it something like an difference of ideology. How the new girl can rationally make the choice to abandon people while Asuna is the type to risk her life to help people. It felt like they tried to allude to that in the film put wasn't properly conveyed and in the end the reason she gave summed to her disbanding with her long time friend to chase after a dude she just met.

It also took alot away from Asuna's character development adding a companion that was with her at the start of the game. Asuna's whole arc in the beginning was that she was trapped and alone when the whole death game started. Even before that she had never played a game before because she's was always studying to meet her mother expectations of her so she had felt similarly alone and trapped before the game started. On a simple whim she found the Nerve gear her brother bought but hadn't used yet to play a game for the first time to relieve some stress. With the new girl who shared a similar drive for high academic performance and had already started playing games to relieve stress introducing Asuna to games beforehand it really takes away from Asuna's first experience with games being SAO. It was a world where she had no knowledge of how things worked and that helplessness cornered her to the point that she was willing to disregard her own safety and charge desperately forward toward a way out of the game which she herself didn't fully believe could be accomplished. That what made her meeting with Kirito so impactful for her since she was able to stumble on someone who could help her and learn from. It also undermines the whole cream on the awful black bread scene, making it less impactful since in the original story we thought she's only been eating that since she started and the cream on bread was the first experience she had about a good aspects of the game. It was a luxury of reality, like the bath she coveted in Kirito's room, she'd thought she'd never get to enjoy while trapped in the game. Something to enjoy and help distract from the harsh reality of their situation but with the whole montage of her having fun with her friend, eating delicious things, it just takes away from that moment.

Only thing I'd praise the film for is redesigning illfang to look less silly and more like an intimating boss monster.
Nov 26, 2022 12:42 AM
Mar 2022
Rowd said:
I went into this thinking it SAO progressive LN/manga but it turned out they only took some parts from them and tried to go in a different direction. I especially liked the first manga adaption since it was done by the artist of Tawawa on Monday and I was hoping to see his art style adapted into an anime but that didn't end up happening.

Wish they'd stuck with the original progressive story instead of muddling things with a new character and a half assed strained relationship arc. If they were gona had the new girl have a rivalry with Kirito wish they'd actually do something with that. Built up to literally be nothing. That first scene in the beta test where they raced to beat the dungeon before the beta test ended basically amounted to nothing and could be cut entirely. Also the whole leaving her when she had no hope of surviving in that situation didn't feel like a strong reason for why they just split up and didn't party together again. They could've have a more solid party by making it something like an difference of ideology. How the new girl can rationally make the choice to abandon people while Asuna is the type to risk her life to help people. It felt like they tried to allude to that in the film put wasn't properly conveyed and in the end the reason she gave summed to her disbanding with her long time friend to chase after a dude she just met.

It also took alot away from Asuna's character development adding a companion that was with her at the start of the game. Asuna's whole arc in the beginning was that she was trapped and alone when the whole death game started. Even before that she had never played a game before because she's was always studying to meet her mother expectations of her so she had felt similarly alone and trapped before the game started. On a simple whim she found the Nerve gear her brother bought but hadn't used yet to play a game for the first time to relieve some stress. With the new girl who shared a similar drive for high academic performance and had already started playing games to relieve stress introducing Asuna to games beforehand it really takes away from Asuna's first experience with games being SAO. It was a world where she had no knowledge of how things worked and that helplessness cornered her to the point that she was willing to disregard her own safety and charge desperately forward toward a way out of the game which she herself didn't fully believe could be accomplished. That what made her meeting with Kirito so impactful for her since she was able to stumble on someone who could help her and learn from. It also undermines the whole cream on the awful black bread scene, making it less impactful since in the original story we thought she's only been eating that since she started and the cream on bread was the first experience she had about a good aspects of the game. It was a luxury of reality, like the bath she coveted in Kirito's room, she'd thought she'd never get to enjoy while trapped in the game. Something to enjoy and help distract from the harsh reality of their situation but with the whole montage of her having fun with her friend, eating delicious things, it just takes away from that moment.

Only thing I'd praise the film for is redesigning illfang to look less silly and more like an intimating boss monster.

As I haven't read Ln and manga of SAO so I liked it so much to give it 10

Personal opinion aside as you are saying it's bad now i feel the need to read LN
May be I'll lower its rating if what you are saying is true
Nov 26, 2022 7:17 AM

Sep 2017
Exactly, the movie wasn't an adaptation of the progressive light novel. It was just a retelling of the first floor. They threw away everything which made progressive 'progressive'.

It's unfortunate that not many people know about this, and the fact that they named the movie Sao:progressive doesn't help either (since it has almost nothing similar to the original progressive novel). I was honestly excited for a proper anime adaptation of the novels, as they are genuinely extremely good, but unfortunately that doesn't seem likely to happen as the next movie is skipping several floors, and Mito still seems to be a main part of the cast.
Nov 26, 2022 11:50 AM
Apr 2021
thats not exactly true.

yes the beginning is completely newly added content
along with the newly added random character.

it can be argued whether that's good or not, but the rest follow the novel pretty well

✔️ kirito found asuna exhausted in the dungeon, lecturing about over kill, and dragging her to safety

✔️ the boss meeting matched up to sao s1 e1 meeting as vol 1 of progressive intended

✔️ kirito and Asuna went to the farm house with Asuna obsess with a bath

now they did exclude what happened during her bath.
while funny and was supposed to introduce Argo
it's not too major of a exclusion

✔️ the boss battle was won with only 1 death, kirito absorbs the hatred as a beater, thus lifting it off Argo and the other beta testers.
-ya the new character made it slightly different it didn't cause too much of a disturbance

✔️finally Asuna chooses to stay with kirito and was oblivious to the fact that party members names were viewable

that's half of vol1 in a nut shell and while vol 1 covered the second floor, do you really rather the movie to cut a ton of detail and crammed floor 2 in the movie as well?

progressive LN aim is each vol covering a single floor
(key word is aim, tho vol 1 consisted of fl 1&2, fl 5&7 took 2 vol each

as long as the movie sticks to 1 floor per movie (maybe 2 for fl 5&7) and as long as kirito and Asuna stay together I'm happy with it.

yes new character is completely unneeded but it's better than cramming 2 floors in 1 movie
Nov 26, 2022 8:14 PM
Jun 2020
considering that this movie was better than the original show by a wide margin, I'm glad they took it in this direction. The new girl was also the best part of it, really contributing to asuna as a character, where she was really bland beforehand.
Nov 27, 2022 8:45 AM

May 2016
Yeah I'm also disappointed it wasn't a true adaptation of the progressive light novel. Adding the new original character really changes a lot of the backstory for Asuna which I thought was good as it was in the LN.

As a stand alone the movie was pretty good though. Animation was great although the boss fight with Illfang just made me want to rewatch the original scene from the anime. Felt like the scene in the movie was overly drawn out at the end.

Jan 12, 2023 3:00 PM
Apr 2018
Rowd said:
Wish they'd stuck with the original progressive story instead of muddling things with a new character and a half assed strained relationship arc
This

kalebsmoker said:
as long as kirito and Asuna stay together I'm happy with it.
but also this

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Hoshi Naki Yoru no Aria Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Oct 29, 2021

258 by Alice103 »»
Sep 16, 4:28 PM

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

54 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.