Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 22, 2022 6:34 AM

May 2018
ayo everyone just left Dai floating in space after the black core exploded xD

I watched this week-by-week too since episode 1. Had really good moments but bad ones as well, probably 6/10 for me
Oct 22, 2022 6:37 AM
๐ŸฅŠ CHAMPION ๐ŸฅŠ

Apr 2016
You can't ask for more from this centenary episode that concludes the season, except for a continuation of equal quality!!!

It is a simple story, with the basic elements, but well thought out, which is why none of the 100 episodes have been wasted. Enjoyable from start to finish and this ending was the most logical and desirable.

8/10 kekeke
Oct 22, 2022 7:23 AM
Dec 2013
After 2 years of watching this weekly, Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (2020) has come to an end. And what a journey it's been. There were some annoying moments where it turns into a fucking soap opera, but overall I liked this show. I've seen the 1991 version too (which I had started before this 2020 remake was even announced), and I guess this remake is better than the 1991 version only because it adapted beyond what the 1991 version adapted. The 1991 version used music from Dragon Quest IV, but the remake afaik didn't use any music from any of the Dragon Quest games. Either way, this pretty much makes the 1991 version obsolete now. This is the first time I've watched a proper long-running anime (with a 3 figure episode count) where I watched the first episode on the day that it aired, and the final episode the day that it aired too, which to me is a feat.

So Dai is still alive, but nobody knows where he is. Who knows if he would reunite with his friends one day.

If only Shaman King (2021) was 100 episodes long and had animation as good as this. But I'm glad DQ (2020) got a proper adaptation with decent pacing and good animation, unlike SK (2021) which had a rushed adaptation and turned into a slideshow during fight scenes. Meaning DQ was the better remake between those 2 remakes. Toei did a good job adapting the manga.

The MAL ranking for this anime seems more accurate now. I thought it was ridiculous that it was in the 3000s for so long. Now it's in the 1000s, which is good enough. But it is still underwatched on MAL, being #2426 currently in popularity. The Dragon Quest manga sold 47 million copies, so it was a popular series in Japan. It's a shame it couldn't be more popular in the West.

Nice that another Weekly Shounen Jump battle shounen manga finally got a complete anime adaptation all these years later. Gonna miss this though. Not sure if I'd put it in my Top 10 favourite battle shounen, but I did enjoy this more than Nanatsu no Taizai, Shaman King, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, D.Gray-man and One Piece.
wildhoodDec 8, 2022 4:27 PM
Oct 22, 2022 8:37 AM

Mar 2010
I can't lie I wanted to see them make babies.. I hope we get some sort of side story or something to know how their live went a bit longer achieving peace. But I guess in a way... us slacking off and doing nothing is that peace they achieved.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 22, 2022 8:50 AM

Nov 2019
Normally I wouldn't make a post like this in the episode discussion section, but this is definitely a very special occasion. Well everyone, the ride sure has been a very long one. The epic journey finally comes to a conclusion!!! Time for celebration!!
Oct 22, 2022 9:42 AM
Oct 2010
Finished 100/100 episodes, good pace..good writing, good villain, good emotional DAMAGE, good shonen manga, im satisfied! - WE will treasures this episode forever...

even if its just 77 [by animelist now, might rise up idk], i belive its a series i cant forget, u can give a rating 9 or even 10 but u can forget it in just a few months.. but this?? nope. its timeless masterpiece, definitely my top 10 anime of all time
Oct 22, 2022 9:48 AM

Apr 2020
"Don't be sad because it ended, be glad because it happened."

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken was perfect on every aspect from beginning to end. Talking about the final episode, it managed to surprise me until the last second. I was expecting some kind of sacrifice from Dai's part, but I wasn't expecting Baran's sword to show up... and... KILLVEARN! Oh my god. He's the kind of villain I love, evil and tricky to the very end.

My Saturdays will feel a bit empty now but I'm so glad I watched this masterpiece (to think I almost dropped on the beginning because I was not used to the CGI). Toei did a great job.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Oct 22, 2022 10:05 AM

Oct 2012
100 episodes with no filler. That itself is an anime achievement. I really love how this story built itself slowly adding layer after layer and continually mixing and remixing all those elements in unexpected ways. What a wonderful story.
modboyOct 22, 2022 10:10 AM
Oct 22, 2022 10:20 AM

Jul 2015
Gonna miss this show, not gonna lie.
Popp's development was arguably THE best in all anime.

Oct 22, 2022 10:41 AM

Jan 2020
potofresco said:
KatoWorks said:

Mappa posted gengas and it was indeed 2D, nice try though.

They posted the genga of some short scenes that were made in 2d indeed but an episode of anime lasts 23 min, nice try though. Think a bit before posting next time no need to suck on Mappa D. so hard, the 3dcg was there and they also rotoscoped shit like they did in the last season of SNK, Mappa is a shitty studio. Also I need to add that my point really wasn't throwing shit at any specific anime it was more towards the anime community that we have nowadays and you are the prime example of the average anime consumer nowadays.

Nice try once again saying it's rotoscoped when all the animators confirmed it isn't, next time put some respect on the staff (psst~ they come from all over the industry so you can't just hate just because it's mopper) dumbass.
You can even see it here, https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=chainsaw_man there's no rotoscoping tags.

3DCG is used in basically every production nowadays even for your favorites, Ufotable, Wit, etc. It's a convenient tool that allows for more flexibility. No need to hate cause of the reputation it gets due to mediocre productions like Berserk 2016 or Ex-Arm
KatoWorksOct 22, 2022 10:49 AM
Oct 22, 2022 11:21 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I have to admit that I had a difficult time starting this episode because I knew this was the end. It has been a long two year journey, but it was worth it seeing it coming to a close. As some one who has never played the Dargon Quest games, I was really impressed by this series as it was a classic shonen battle series. I remember the started this series was because my brother was playing one of those games(can't remember which one). Maybe I'll play one of those Dragon Quest games someday. Until the Hero's journey starts again with another adventure.

9/10
Oct 22, 2022 12:02 PM
Nov 2013
Can anyone tell me the name of the soundtrack used at the end of the Dai vs Vearn fight?
Oct 22, 2022 1:49 PM
Feb 2021
God damn..episode 1 feels like yesterday. I'm gonna miss this show very much.
Oct 22, 2022 2:47 PM
Mar 2019
bittersweet:[ the ending was good and this show as a whole is criminally underrated
Oct 22, 2022 2:47 PM
Sep 2018
Simplesmente o fechamento maravilhoso que anime devia ter, ele fez. Adaptação feita com carinho e capricho, de qualidade crescente do início ao fim. O Dai está no título, mas o grande herói da aventura não é outro senão Popp e seu desenvolvimento perfeito.
Oct 22, 2022 3:22 PM

Aug 2015
potofresco said:
I'm not gonna drop names but an anime with 1 episode out had a +9 and half the episode was mediocre cg, this after 100 episodes of greatness won't reach an 8, the anime community nowadays is a joke.

Are you older than 14? Because it doesn´t make sense to me that anyone over that age cares about the score of a series on any website. Like, do you need to see a high score to feel validated?.

-----------------------------------------------
Well, 2 years went very fast and the series is over. Not the ending I was expecting but it definitively fits and it leaves the possibility of Dai fighting Velzar in the underworld, I guess. It was definitively and old shonen through and through, with the good and bad things they used to have.

7/10. Enjoyable, but outside the Baran arc it was kind of a mediocre show during most arcs and I hate the idea of characters having dramatic moments that end up going nowhere. For fuck sake, we saw Huynckel "die" 7 times.
Oct 22, 2022 4:40 PM

Apr 2021
There is a good chance for Makai Arc or a sequel movie in the future! (or a prequel movie with Young Prime Baran vs Velzar and Avan Prequel tv series)

RogerhunterOct 22, 2022 4:53 PM
Oct 22, 2022 4:40 PM
Feb 2014
Pakumen- said:
potofresco said:
I'm not gonna drop names but an anime with 1 episode out had a +9 and half the episode was mediocre cg, this after 100 episodes of greatness won't reach an 8, the anime community nowadays is a joke.

Are you older than 14? Because it doesn´t make sense to me that anyone over that age cares about the score of a series on any website. Like, do you need to see a high score to feel validated?.

Well, 2 years went very fast and the series is over. Not the ending I was expecting but it definitively fits and it leaves the possibility of Dai fighting Velzar in the underworld, I guess. It was definitively and old shonen through and through, with the good and bad things they used to have.

7/10. Enjoyable, but outside the Baran arc it was kind of a mediocre show during most arcs and I hate the idea of characters having dramatic moments that end up going nowhere. For fuck sake, we saw Huynckel "die" 7 times.

I just pointed something obvious, that doesn't mean that I really care about it, by the same logic that you are using you care about a random internet user talking about something that you don't care :D which I believe you don't or I hope you don't.
Oct 22, 2022 4:48 PM
Feb 2014
KatoWorks said:
potofresco said:

They posted the genga of some short scenes that were made in 2d indeed but an episode of anime lasts 23 min, nice try though. Think a bit before posting next time no need to suck on Mappa D. so hard, the 3dcg was there and they also rotoscoped shit like they did in the last season of SNK, Mappa is a shitty studio. Also I need to add that my point really wasn't throwing shit at any specific anime it was more towards the anime community that we have nowadays and you are the prime example of the average anime consumer nowadays.

Nice try once again saying it's rotoscoped when all the animators confirmed it isn't, next time put some respect on the staff (psst~ they come from all over the industry so you can't just hate just because it's mopper) dumbass.
You can even see it here, https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=chainsaw_man there's no rotoscoping tags.

3DCG is used in basically every production nowadays even for your favorites, Ufotable, Wit, etc. It's a convenient tool that allows for more flexibility. No need to hate cause of the reputation it gets due to mediocre productions like Berserk 2016 or Ex-Arm

There's in fact rotoscope and Sakugabooru isn't an oficial source dunno why are you posting that as a proof or something you just have to watch the first episode, 3dcg is used indeed in almost any production nowadays but there are companies that know how to use it like Ufotable and companies like Mappa that stinks using it and looks like a ps2 game (and yes there are scenes like that in the 1st episode) also you are talking about giving some respect to the staff, I believe they should have some self-respect first of all and stop working for a company that treats it's workers like slaves :D

Won't reply more to you since talking with fanboy childs is exhausting and this isn't the thread to talk about this.
Oct 22, 2022 5:10 PM
Aug 2013
I used to like this show (the old version), but I regretted watching this new version to be honest ... I am glad I am done with it.

I think my taste changed ... For me, average shonen with many unlikable characters.
Oct 22, 2022 5:31 PM

Jan 2020
potofresco said:
KatoWorks said:

There's in fact rotoscope and Sakugabooru isn't an oficial source dunno why are you posting that as a proof or something you just have to watch the first episode, 3dcg is used indeed in almost any production nowadays but there are companies that know how to use it like Ufotable and companies like Mappa that stinks using it and looks like a ps2 game (and yes there are scenes like that in the 1st episode) also you are talking about giving some respect to the staff, I believe they should have some self-respect first of all and stop working for a company that treats it's workers like slaves :D

Won't reply more to you since talking with fanboy childs is exhausting and this isn't the thread to talk about this.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about lmaooooo, all you have are assumptions about rotoscoped when every highly skilled animator literally confirmed it isn't. And sure go ahead and say it stinks when it's highly regarded as one of the best CGI Studios in japan. Not to mention on their recruitment website page they now offer higher wages than most of the industry.
Oct 22, 2022 7:36 PM

Jul 2008
How… Why… Ah! Stupid Popp, that's no fair!! You traitor!!!

With that said, this was a fantastic anime… Thanks God, it got finally the final it deserved. ^-^
My candies:
Oct 22, 2022 7:56 PM

Aug 2015
potofresco said:

I just pointed something obvious, that doesn't mean that I really care about it, by the same logic that you are using you care about a random internet user talking about something that you don't care :D which I believe you don't or I hope you don't.

Its not obvious, it is something that does not make sense. I just feel baffled by the amount of people that seem downright offended by MAL scores as if they could not make their own opinion disregarding what others think. Every time some hype train comes up, shit like this happens and it is just a cycle. It occured with CSM, it will continue with JJK, it will happen again with SNK. By the way, honestly this series is not that great so I dont see how this should be above one of the most anticipated shows of the year, regardless of the quality of CSM (or Bleach, which is being hyped like a mf and it is going to adapt a shitty arc).
Oct 22, 2022 11:12 PM

Nov 2012
It was a good episode, but something was off to me. It seemed rushed. I also felt like I didn't get closure on some side stories. I mean is Popp starting a harem? It seemed like he was starting to like Merle, but now Maam is in the way. I dunno. Maybe I just want more.
Oct 23, 2022 12:47 AM
May 2019
I hate the ending, it was frustrating to me how the hero disappeared at the end..
And the open ending makes me more frustrated..
Oct 23, 2022 1:02 AM
May 2022
Pakumen- said:
potofresco said:

Actually, we didn't see him die almost ever. maybe that's what you were thinking but remember, if we don't have a body which turns to ashes like Baran, it didn't happen. Also, the writer did this on purpose because immortality was Hyunckel's theme from the beginning, so don't be so surprised.
YaakuntikOct 23, 2022 1:10 AM
Oct 23, 2022 1:05 AM
May 2022
UaEfAlCoN83 said:
I used to like this show (the old version), but I regretted watching this new version to be honest ... I am glad I am done with it.

I think my taste changed ... For me, average shonen with many unlikable characters.

I don't get it. what didn't you like this time around? what do you consider a good shonen now then?
Oct 23, 2022 1:08 AM
May 2022
Pakumen- said:
potofresco said:

Its not obvious, it is something that does not make sense. I just feel baffled by the amount of people that seem downright offended by MAL scores as if they could not make their own opinion disregarding what others think. Every time some hype train comes up, shit like this happens and it is just a cycle. It occured with CSM, it will continue with JJK, it will happen again with SNK. By the way, honestly this series is not that great so I dont see how this should be above one of the most anticipated shows of the year, regardless of the quality of CSM (or Bleach, which is being hyped like a mf and it is going to adapt a shitty arc).

This series should be miles above JJK.
Oct 23, 2022 1:10 AM
May 2022
citizen_one said:
I hate the ending, it was frustrating to me how the hero disappeared at the end..
And the open ending makes me more frustrated..

It was this way because they had planned a sequel. And since it was an open ending, you can pretty much make the rest however you want it to be. Until the make a sequel that is...
Oct 23, 2022 3:56 AM

Sep 2011
Sooooo, one of the things I was most looking forward too (If Masm returns Popps feelings after they defeat Vearn) was never even addressed or acknowledged?!?! I love my shounen but they always do romance subplots sooooo dirty. They’re usually underdeveloped and just thrown at the end for closure (ala Naruto) or when they’re actually well developed like Dai, IT DOESN’T GET CLOSURE!!! I’m so upset. Popp went from being a character I hated to my favorite character and I wanted to see how that particular piece of his character Arc wrapped up
Oct 23, 2022 4:23 AM
Oct 2019
Wow it's finally really over huh. 2 years of journey coming to the end.

Damn Saturday would never be the same anymore.

It's a shame how this show is not popular enough outside Japan.
Hopefully there will be many new comers coming after the series was finished.

We shared Laugh, Tears, and Hyped moments through out the years, and i am really happy that i starting this series from the beginning. Thanks to me in 2020 for doing that.
at last, Sayonara Dai!
until we meet again someday...

8/10
Oct 23, 2022 5:35 AM
Aug 2013
Yaakuntik said:
UaEfAlCoN83 said:

I don't get it. what didn't you like this time around? what do you consider a good shonen now then?

I don’t understand to be honest .. Dai was one of my favorite old animes and peak shonen … I read the manga years ago and thought it was good also
But after watching it again I felt unsatisfied got many reasons

1- I think I used to like action in general but know I am more invested in plots and not actions

2- most characters are hatable especially Mam and the Rat.

3- Some characters weren’t given justice in my opinion like Crocodine

4- Many random things are happening: power ups, new characters popping up just for action, characters returning from death unnecessarily, choices by evil characters is annoying — they could easy win sometimes but they make stupid decisions for no reason that cost them the battle

I wouldn’t say the anime is bad, but it ruined my good memories about it. Right now, I care more about nicely written plots.
This is why most shonens don’t catch my attention to be honest.

Even the action, I want it to be engineered and tactical, not just pure action with random power ups.

The anime is not bad don’t get me wrong, it is still decent … it is just that it didn’t suit my current taste

But since most animes are shonen — I am sticking around hoping for good moments or at least decent plots.

What is a good plot for me? A unique plot with nice, smooth, and logical world and character development (this is subjective and people view this differently)
Oct 23, 2022 8:01 AM

May 2015
This is the end of a great adventure. Being with Dai and his friends during these two years was a pleasure, but every good things have an end. Now the world is at peace and we just have to go forward.

Thank you Dai, thank you for sharing your adventure with me.
Oct 23, 2022 8:07 AM

Feb 2011
Decent ending. Was sad to see dai seemingly blow up. The twist with killvearn was kind of unnecessary, but whatever, Dai had to leave somehow, due to what he said before, so i guess a hidden bomb isnt a terrible idea.
Vearn being sent into the sun was a good touch too.
Decent fight, wish they didnt go all space cadet/DBZ style fighting in space but again, it is what is is.
Overall episode was a 3.7. Series i'd give a 7.5.

Leona was best waifu btw

Oct 23, 2022 8:32 AM

Sep 2021
Good series, with a lot of twists and turns but I feel like it was kinda repetitive. Good last episode but it was a little rushed. Overall 7/10
Oct 23, 2022 10:54 AM
May 2022
UaEfAlCoN83 said:
Yaakuntik said:

I don’t understand to be honest .. Dai was one of my favorite old animes and peak shonen … I read the manga years ago and thought it was good also

1- I think I used to like action in general but know I am more invested in plots and not actions

4- Many random things are happening: power ups, new characters popping up just for action, characters returning from death unnecessarily, choices by evil characters is annoying — they could easy win sometimes but they make stupid decisions for no reason that cost them the battle

I wouldn’t say the anime is bad, but it ruined my good memories about it. Right now, I care more about nicely written plots.

Even the action, I want it to be engineered and tactical, not just pure action with random power ups.

The anime is not bad don’t get me wrong, it is still decent … it is just that it didn’t suit my current taste

But since most animes are shonen — I am sticking around hoping for good moments or at least decent plots.

What is a good plot for me? A unique plot with nice, smooth, and logical world and character development (this is subjective and people view this differently)

I understand. I don't agree however. I think the storey was well written and thought out. Every character was used, even at the end they don't forget about the very minor fake heroes and they had a role to play.

There were no random power ups, all the power ups were explained and the heroes had to work hard to learn new spells/moves/techniques.

All the people that came back from being "dead" had a reason to come back and they explained how they came back ina way which made sense.

As far as characters being likeable or not, it's a matter of taste but for me personally, no character was so bad that made me hate them. Even among the villains, Zaboera was one of those characters that everyone seemed to hate but that was how it was supposed to be.

I think maybe you are judging this applying standards of the real world and real life we live in. Sure, in our reality, a "villain" or rather a bad person may not stand around and let you talk to your friends, if they want to kill you they might just shoot you and your friends right away. But don't forget this is a fantasy, and we are talking about beings that have powers beyond all human comprehension. They feel they have so much power that no one can stop them so of course they don't care if people talk for a bit or even they will stand and boast about their power because they are so sure of their victory. This happens even in movies, Avengers for example, Thanos was also like that, but that didn't stop most people from liking those movies.

For me this was an improvement from the original anime, not just in the animation but everything else. And the story itself was well written, the characters had a lot of growth and some of them had amazing development unlike in most me modern anime where a lot of the time characters do suffer from lack of development and the writers do give them random power ups that seem to come from nowhere.

And as far as some characters not having an important role, I think you mentioned Crocodine. Well did you forget he saved them more than a couple of times, like when he saved Hyunckel from burning under the lava, when he rescued Dai from Mystvearn and Zaboera, when he buried them all to save them from the Black Core explosion. And he was key in defeating the royal guard because with his move he got the shield off from Sigma. The poor guy did all he could with what power he had. It's just that towards the end, he was probably one of the weakest ones in the group so he couldn't do as much to help. It wouldn't have made sense for him to have had a major role in defeating Vearn.

So again, I hear your point but I don't agree with it all. But it is what it is, some people watch this anime and see what you see, and some people see what I see. I guess it all depends on what standards you apply to it.
YaakuntikOct 23, 2022 11:00 AM
Oct 23, 2022 11:42 AM
Apr 2021
Shout out to everyone that watched this show from day 1 and stuck with it for 2 years, y’all are real ones!

Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai has been a really great anime to watch. Seriously one of the best shonens out there. What caught my attention back when the trailer dropped was the art style. I had no idea how long or good this show was gonna be, but both surpassed my expectations!

I feel this show is definitely better if you marathon it rather than watching weekly. That being said, I’m very satisfied with my experience with this show. I laughed, I cried, I got hyped asf, and I got mind blown with some of the twists for sure.

Imma give it a 9/10 because it was such a crazy journey and I’ve never watched a show for that long before, probably will never do it again lol
Oct 23, 2022 1:50 PM
Dec 2015
I cried while reading the manga 25 years ago when Baran died, I cried again when watching him die in the anime.
I cried at the last chapter when Dai says "Sorry Popp", I cried watching this same scene in the final episode.

Mind you, I don't cry easily... unless the story/characters/ambiance convey really strong emotions, which was the case with Dai no Daibouken.
Music was amazing, and... voice actors/seiyuus can't be praised enough, especially the one behind Popp who felt so passionnate doing his lines!!

Excellent manga, and excellent 2020 adaptation, thank you TOEI for making my dream of watching this anime in its completed form come true during 2 years without stopping! Hopefully the team can take some vacations

Just for fun : favourite good guy : Popp. Favourite villain: Vearn...

Thank you, TOEI.. ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป
EvolzetjinOct 23, 2022 1:58 PM
Oct 23, 2022 2:08 PM
Dec 2015
Piromysl said:
Gonna miss this show, not gonna lie.
Popp's development was arguably THE best in all anime.

I second this..and Hadlar comes right after him.
After all those years reading mangas/watching animes I can't find any character who can sit at their table.
Oct 24, 2022 5:20 AM
Jul 2013
Lo lograste Dai, venciste al rey oscuro Vearn. ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ

Aunque al final, Dai tuvo que hacer un sacrificio por el mundo. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Pero su espada dicta que el héroe sigue con vida. โ˜๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ’™

•Muy bonito final.
Oct 24, 2022 3:11 PM
May 2018
I didn't like the final arc. It dragged on and everybody got plot armor. Even Hym did a last minute sacrifice and somehow survived. But I kept watching, hoping for a resolution to the Merle-Popp-Maam-Hyunckel-Aimi love stuff but we got nothing. The first 60-70 episodes are really good but after that it kinda went to shit, only worth watching for some nicely animated fight scenes.
Oct 24, 2022 4:54 PM
May 2022
Dzentelmen2 said:
I didn't like the final arc. It dragged on and everybody got plot armor. Even Hym did a last minute sacrifice and somehow survived. But I kept watching, hoping for a resolution to the Merle-Popp-Maam-Hyunckel-Aimi love stuff but we got nothing. The first 60-70 episodes are really good but after that it kinda went to shit, only worth watching for some nicely animated fight scenes.

Everything that happened was explained well. You can call it plot armor if you want but this isn’t exclusive of this anime or even on films and TV series. At least here they explained everything and didn’t just give characters random powers out of nowhere. And these are kids were are talking about, minus Hyunckel and Amy. So it’s fine that they didn’t show any romance at the end. Either way, I think it was clear that Hyunckel didn’t want any girl. He chose to go with Larhart. Popp, Maam, and Merle are immature teenagers who don’t o ow what love is. They will figure it out when they get older.
Oct 25, 2022 12:03 PM
Feb 2020
Felt like DBZ, but with a dragon quest flair, wasn't bad, but wasn't especially good either.
Oct 26, 2022 12:25 AM

Sep 2016
DragonKnight92 said:
Riku Sanjo, the author of DnD, intended to continue the series after Vearn, with Velzar as the main villain (is called "Makai Arc", Makai is Underworld) but health condition of Koji Inada, the artist of DnD, was very bad at that time. So Sanjo decided to end the manga with Vearn in Flash of Light Arc!

Thanks for the info, it really felt like they were building up Killvearn + Velzar as the next threat, but this ending felt very satisfying, and they ended it perfectly on episode 100.
Overall I liked this series more than I expected! I had seen some of the original and it wasn't bad, but it really started picking up the further it got and had some really cool battles and emotional moments.

Can't believe I've been watching this weekly for over 2 years now, time moves way too fast. I'm definitely going to miss it.
Oct 29, 2022 7:53 AM
Mar 2015
What a great series. I enjoyed every single episode of this anime. Sad it's finished, but it did so on a high note.
Oct 29, 2022 6:53 PM

Nov 2018
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... What?
Oct 30, 2022 9:05 AM
Aug 2014
phantomfandom said:
It's the return of the composer Yuki Hayashi that will turn any anime into the epic anime. He really have nothing to proved since he's already take on My Hero Academia with such a successful result, but with Dragon Quest it's a big statement that he's not a "one hit wonder", I already said it but I'll say it again that he has a potential to takeover the whole Dragon Quest franchise music from the late Koichi Sugiyama. Can't wait for the release of OST part 2!

>One Hit Wonder

My overrated Academy? Puhlease

Oct 30, 2022 9:59 AM
Sep 2015
StalkerFairy said:
phantomfandom said:
It's the return of the composer Yuki Hayashi that will turn any anime into the epic anime. He really have nothing to proved since he's already take on My Hero Academia with such a successful result, but with Dragon Quest it's a big statement that he's not a "one hit wonder", I already said it but I'll say it again that he has a potential to takeover the whole Dragon Quest franchise music from the late Koichi Sugiyama. Can't wait for the release of OST part 2!

>One Hit Wonder

My overrated Academy? Puhlease

He composed for a lot of 1-2 cour anime, I'm focusing more on a longer franchise. Plus Robotics;Notes has 3 composers, not solely on his own, otherwise I'd cite Haikyลซ!! too.
Nov 1, 2022 12:58 PM
Jan 2020
That was heartbreaking and beautiful. I loved this anime from start to finish
Nov 5, 2022 11:21 PM
Jun 2015
Yaakuntik said:
UaEfAlCoN83 said:

I understand. I don't agree however. I think the storey was well written and thought out. Every character was used, even at the end they don't forget about the very minor fake heroes and they had a role to play.

There were no random power ups, all the power ups were explained and the heroes had to work hard to learn new spells/moves/techniques.

All the people that came back from being "dead" had a reason to come back and they explained how they came back ina way which made sense.

As far as characters being likeable or not, it's a matter of taste but for me personally, no character was so bad that made me hate them. Even among the villains, Zaboera was one of those characters that everyone seemed to hate but that was how it was supposed to be.

I think maybe you are judging this applying standards of the real world and real life we live in. Sure, in our reality, a "villain" or rather a bad person may not stand around and let you talk to your friends, if they want to kill you they might just shoot you and your friends right away. But don't forget this is a fantasy, and we are talking about beings that have powers beyond all human comprehension. They feel they have so much power that no one can stop them so of course they don't care if people talk for a bit or even they will stand and boast about their power because they are so sure of their victory. This happens even in movies, Avengers for example, Thanos was also like that, but that didn't stop most people from liking those movies.

For me this was an improvement from the original anime, not just in the animation but everything else. And the story itself was well written, the characters had a lot of growth and some of them had amazing development unlike in most me modern anime where a lot of the time characters do suffer from lack of development and the writers do give them random power ups that seem to come from nowhere.

And as far as some characters not having an important role, I think you mentioned Crocodine. Well did you forget he saved them more than a couple of times, like when he saved Hyunckel from burning under the lava, when he rescued Dai from Mystvearn and Zaboera, when he buried them all to save them from the Black Core explosion. And he was key in defeating the royal guard because with his move he got the shield off from Sigma. The poor guy did all he could with what power he had. It's just that towards the end, he was probably one of the weakest ones in the group so he couldn't do as much to help. It wouldn't have made sense for him to have had a major role in defeating Vearn.

So again, I hear your point but I don't agree with it all. But it is what it is, some people watch this anime and see what you see, and some people see what I see. I guess it all depends on what standards you apply to it.

I agree completely! Unlike most shonen, Dai actually gives most of the characters justice and keeps all the main party members relevant all the way to the very end. Most shonen just shaft almost everyone long before the end, except for like the main character and maybe one or two other characters.

Like you said, there's so many moments where Dai would've been killed if his friends hadn't helped. Sure, they can't all fight toe to toe on his skill level, but the anime makes a point that even if they can't be the power house that Dai is, they have other roles to play that are equally important in the long run. I did feel Crocodine gets a bit shafted near the end but like you said, it made sense since he couldn't keep up. Honestly makes me wish the Makai/Underworld arc did get written since he was gonna get a bigger role in that from what people were saying, but I still think his arc was complete by the end and done well regardless.

I also do appreciate that all the power ups felt earned/well explained as well, unlike most shonen where there are a lot of asspulls, Dai really didn't have that, it all lined up with the consistent logic that was established in this world from beginning to end. And of course, the character writing was top notch, definitely some of the best I've seen in the genre period (especially the likes of Popp and Hadlar, though my personal favs. are Popp, Dai and Crocodine).

I'm bummed that Dai is very underappreciated (and even misunderstood in terms of what it achieves compared to most other shonen, as tons of people in this thread have shown), but I'm always happy to see the people who can appreciate the amazing top notch writing in it like you good sir. Hats off to you, fellow disciple of Avan!

Edit: Lol, unintentional but I ended up being post 100 for the 100th episode discussion, woo!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 48 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2021

31 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Oct 11, 3:28 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 41 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Oct 10, 7:31 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

133 by jyagan0 »»
May 5, 4:16 PM

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

9 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.