Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 19, 2022 12:54 AM

Feb 2013
As someone who started watching anime mostly because of Sword Art Online, even with certain criticisms, valid or not, it holds a special place in my heart. I'm certain this is a similar case for many other people as well, what it lacked in tact, writing/pacing and character development it made up for in strides with honest-to-god fantasy and idyllicism.
I remember those first episodes of SAO like a fever-dream because they impacted me in a very personally important way. However, I also remember a weird feeling of betrayal after getting to episode 3, with the progress of the first floor taking place over 2 episodes it felt like the set-up for a slow-burn that would be much more dense with the scale of the world and instead it leaps to floor 11. While the subject of the episode and nature of immersion hence-forth wasn't a problem in the typical sense, I had this strong disappointment that the journey was not going to take its time the whole way through, but instead only when it felt it most necessary.
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but seeing this trailer for a direct follow-up to a movie that was essentially a prime-cut of the first 2 episodes - it feels like a Birthday gift from a long lost friend. It kind of feels like I'm being invited to entreat with that immersive fantasy again and that thing about SAO which drew me in in the first place.
I'm not even all that up-to-date with the modern anime but I can't help but feel genuinely excited for the prospect of this movie. I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Oct 19, 2022 2:36 AM

Sep 2017
SAO:P is exactly what you want then.

I would recommend reading the novels, since the movies will take a long time to catch up to it, and they are not even properly adapting the novel either way (the first movie was entirely different than SAO:P's 1st floor. Mito was never in the novels, she's a movie original character).

The second movie is going to be skipping several floors and go straight for 5th floor.

The novels doesn't skip ANYTHING. They develop each character and explores each floor to its entirety. It's one of the best light novels I've read, and entirely changed my perspective of SAO.
Oct 19, 2022 6:57 AM

Sep 2021
SAO is the Best No matter What Anyone Says It has Became a Stupid Trend To just Hate SAO and It has been Debunked here on MAL
Oct 20, 2022 12:22 AM
Mar 2021
i feel the same way
Oct 21, 2022 3:38 PM

Jul 2016
Pokecol said:
As someone who started watching anime mostly because of Sword Art Online, even with certain criticisms, valid or not, it holds a special place in my heart. I'm certain this is a similar case for many other people as well, what it lacked in tact, writing/pacing and character development it made up for in strides with honest-to-god fantasy and idyllicism.
I remember those first episodes of SAO like a fever-dream because they impacted me in a very personally important way. However, I also remember a weird feeling of betrayal after getting to episode 3, with the progress of the first floor taking place over 2 episodes it felt like the set-up for a slow-burn that would be much more dense with the scale of the world and instead it leaps to floor 11. While the subject of the episode and nature of immersion hence-forth wasn't a problem in the typical sense, I had this strong disappointment that the journey was not going to take its time the whole way through, but instead only when it felt it most necessary.
I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but seeing this trailer for a direct follow-up to a movie that was essentially a prime-cut of the first 2 episodes - it feels like a Birthday gift from a long lost friend. It kind of feels like I'm being invited to entreat with that immersive fantasy again and that thing about SAO which drew me in in the first place.
I'm not even all that up-to-date with the modern anime but I can't help but feel genuinely excited for the prospect of this movie. I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I 100% recommend you to read the novel of Progressive if you love SAO so much, it's a blast.
About the movie.. I wouldn't have such high hopes, I don't know... I love SAOP, but they are doing weird stuff to this work.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Oct 21, 2022 11:55 PM
Aug 2015
Faithful adaptation for Sao is imposible. In this time line. Sad

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Progressive Movie - Kuraki Yuuyami no Scherzo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Koito91 - Nov 14, 2022

105 by Neneaux »»
Oct 12, 9:40 PM

» Why is the anime story different from the movie story?

zazo_Zero_2 - Sep 3

20 by Dhanamerdeka »»
Oct 4, 5:33 PM

» Mito is basically a replacement for Kizmel

Tank895 - Dec 31, 2023

5 by Touma_Mikoto »»
May 4, 11:00 PM

» Are we getting a sequel?

Mystogan14579 - Dec 20, 2023

8 by Sajonji »»
Jan 11, 1:36 PM

» English dub??

Ryan-marsh611 - Oct 29, 2023

5 by MazeCuber »»
Oct 30, 2023 9:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.