Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2007 7:58 AM

Apr 2007
How was that episode! Lots of different artists doing the music if I read the end credits correctly.

I haven't read the manga (yet) so I'm not sure how different the show is from the original work.

It seems like it will be fun a fun series with the focus on the mechanical side of car racing.

The episode out now is a preview that aired on Animax as you can see by the little logo on the bottom right. The series starts on PPV soon though, so we can look forward to high quality episodes in the future!

Jun 12, 2007 9:11 AM

Mar 2007
Pretty good episode, liked the music and beautiful car effects. The drawing style for the characters seemed a bit dated though..., if what you say is true though, the series looks like it will turn out to be pretty god

Dibs on Ishida!
Jun 12, 2007 9:52 AM

May 2007
I think the manga started in 1992 and is ongoing with 37 volumes released so far. Correct me if I'm wrong about any of that. That would explain the "dated" type of character style.
Jun 12, 2007 10:38 AM

Apr 2007
lol, no, the age doesn't account for the character design. Initial D and Wangan Midnight are known for their ugly characters.

Makes them more realistic though in my opinion and I don't mind at all. I must have gotten used to it after reading so many volumes of Initial D. I remember I used to hate the character designs, but that was so many years ago...

Jun 12, 2007 12:06 PM

Jun 2007
is this series any good, it looks like Initial D all over again, is it worth looking at or is it disappointing.
Aug 24, 2007 12:25 PM

Jun 2007
I recently watched both episodes of this anime out there. And i think it's quite good. The character design reminds me of Initial D, but in a good way. I like how they detailed the cars - they look stunning. The story is okay, Nothing extraordinary, but it's quite original. All in all i think it's a great anime, and i'm looking forward to see more of it.
Dec 27, 2007 1:20 PM

Aug 2007
Cars and driving animation look great
Oct 3, 2008 6:23 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
MajorAddiction said:
Cars and driving animation look great

Indeed. I'm pleasantly surprised by that. Enjoyed the episode.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 4, 2009 12:37 PM

Dec 2008
It was good, considering that there are few car racing series out there. It's definitely not Initial D but it's worth watching. What caught my attention was the nice crisp animation, specially the highway scenes, the art work a lot like Initial D but acceptable. The soundtrack was great. It seems that the tone will be a bit dark, it seems that the car is cursed or it affects the drivers negatively but we'll have to wait to see how it will turn out. Looking forward.
Sep 5, 2009 11:56 PM

Sep 2008
Blazingluke said:
lol, no, the age doesn't account for the character design. Initial D and Wangan Midnight are known for their ugly characters.

Makes them more realistic though in my opinion and I don't mind at all. I must have gotten used to it after reading so many volumes of Initial D. I remember I used to hate the character designs, but that was so many years ago...

They are not ugly.
Jan 16, 2010 12:17 AM

Oct 2008

Akuma no Z!

Jun 6, 2010 11:26 AM

Apr 2010
Blazingluke said:

The character design might be different from most anime but i don't think there ugly.

And speaking of design.
The car design in both Initial D and Wangan is brilliant, they are very detailed and you can compare them almost perfectly to there real models.
And let's face it the cars is what count's in these anime.

The plot of this anime reminds me of a American 60's movie staring a red Ford or Plymouth.
Mar 6, 2011 6:11 AM

Oct 2009
Pretty sweet animation and Car design, liking the music so far (but as much as Initial D)
But doesn't Akio looks exactly like Takuma to anyone o_o
Apr 12, 2011 8:40 PM

Mar 2011
Watched all of Initial D so I needed to get my Anime Racing fix. So far so good! :D
Dec 1, 2013 2:03 PM

Nov 2011
I like the OP song tbh and hey, I also get the Initial D vibes just because it involves cars as a major theme. I love the OST already for this show though.

Good episode overall. There's a really serious atmosphere with the OST going on.
Mar 2, 2014 10:37 PM

Jun 2011
SithNoKami said:

But doesn't Akio looks exactly like Takuma to anyone o_o

Yeah, their personality is almost the same.

Pretty decent with some cool ost, but damn an accident already. One thing that bugged me was the race that is happening on a high way, it would be real bad if they got the innocence involved.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 29, 2016 5:58 AM

May 2012
Pretty decent start, but it's currently lacking some intense factor to be honest, as well as some good Eurobeat :v

Nice cliffhanger though, let's see what this anime has to offer!
Jul 14, 2021 1:25 PM

Feb 2012
Character design has a certain charm to it, like Initial D but even more retro.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 3, 2022 9:49 PM

Jan 2009
I've been playing the Shutoko Revival Project mod in Assetto Corsa a lot lately, so I decided to start watching this. The freeways in this series are looking mightily familiar.
Jun 3, 2022 11:52 PM

Jan 2021
Zewerr said:
I've been playing the Shutoko Revival Project mod in Assetto Corsa a lot lately, so I decided to start watching this. The freeways in this series are looking mightily familiar.

If you have played Granturismo 5 or 6, Special stage Route 7 is the Wangan.
Jun 5, 2022 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
dabdabgoose said:

I have played it on GT5 and 6. SRP seems to capture more of the feel and atmosphere. And Assetto Corsa's physics and modding community is top notch. Check out SRP if you haven't already. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shutoko+revival+project
Jun 6, 2022 2:43 AM

Jan 2021
Zewerr said:
dabdabgoose said:

I have played it on GT5 and 6. SRP seems to capture more of the feel and atmosphere. And Assetto Corsa's physics and modding community is top notch. Check out SRP if you haven't already. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shutoko+revival+project
I have already played the mod, but thanks.
Jun 10, 2022 4:44 PM
Jul 2020
couldnt be much worst... talk about a dissapointing 1st episode
Aug 12, 2022 4:19 AM

Jan 2020
This anime's start is pretty good for its time, pretty straightforward too. Akio and all as well as the Devil Z, and why it's considered infamous.

Oct 18, 2022 1:17 PM

Jun 2020
There's something about hearing Takumi's voice come out of the character whose personality and appearance is identical to Ryosuke's in a different car anime that's just very uncanny lol. But I'm digging it so far.
Jan 24, 2023 2:10 PM
Jun 2020
nice start in the anime
Feb 17, 2023 10:34 PM
Absolute Zenith

Mar 2016
I've been planning to watch Wangan Midnight considering that this along with Initial D are two of the most well-known anime revolving around street racing. Though they may both be diffrerent when it comes to how they race, these early 2000s racing shows are a whole nother' level of vibe.

OP sounds as you would expect from the early 2000s, that distinct enegetic vocals with the catchy note makes for a good combination, the ED on the other hand is more slow-paced and relaxing, I have a feeling this is gonna be a fun watch

The S30Z AKA the Devil Z, seems like this car holds a certain level of mysticism around it considering how the previous owner of the car is named exactly the same as our current MC, along for the fact that the previous owner also died driving this car. I love the Z but seeing it in blue made it that much cooler. 
Oct 29, 2023 6:37 PM

Mar 2012
Seems promising so far and digging the soundtrack! It's no Eurobeat but it does a good job at hyping you up. The cars are looking pretty slick as well.
Sep 12, 1:48 PM

Jun 2022
atleast the setting is slightly diff. and this guy doesnt sell tofu so

am game . the ed song , come on now!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wangan Midnight Episode 3 Discussion

Static - Nov 21, 2007

15 by RGreatDanton »»
Sep 12, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Wangan Midnight Episode 2 Discussion

Blazingluke - Jun 27, 2007

19 by RGreatDanton »»
Sep 12, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Wangan Midnight Episode 7 Discussion

Static - Apr 18, 2008

23 by Alparslan1999 »»
Aug 26, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Wangan Midnight Episode 6 Discussion

Static - Jan 5, 2008

8 by Alparslan1999 »»
Aug 26, 4:52 PM

Poll: » Wangan Midnight Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2013

6 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Jul 10, 2:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.