Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2021 6:17 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Hi all,

I'm on the second to last episode of this and I can't help but be quite disappointed. I went in with little expectation but was pleasantly surprised by the simplistic but fun first episode and the JC staff logo(masters at making mundane ligth novels into wholesome delights) in the end credits however it seems to of only gone south from there.

The animation is just so generic it isn't even funny, it can look beautiful during some landscape shots but generally speaking its just so boring to look at. I presume this is because they used the art of the ligth novel as a guide? If so it's a shame as the visuals are just unmemorable. As for the animation it's just not there. The figths are incredibly lackluster (Zero no Tsukima an isekai by the same studio 15 years ago had similar if not better movement and that's saying something, plus it's depictions of large battles didn't constantly cut away to someone talking while implying interesting things are happening in the background)I really enjoyed EP 11 where we hear the sounds of the air force attacking but the camera stays focused on the general speaking not the battle at hand 😑😑. And the direction, they just don't know how to handle a story with a large amount of dialogue do they? Characters constantly walking across rooms for no reason and those bizare 360 degree shots.

Then there's the baffling structure and pacing. We spend 10mins out of two seperate EPs on a cooking program and an entire EP on hiring new staff, plus half an EP on the least interesting adventure of all time and another EP on a domestic dispute in a cafe. Now don't get me wrong, that could be totally fine, some nice world building in fact, I like how Souma has his name listed backwards, but did it require that much time when your also going to ram in a civil war arc in at the end?

So I guess my question is because I do see some potential in the series, for example
It's nothing mind blowing or unpredictable but it ain't terrible. I also genuinely like the relationship between the main guy and girl, I doubth it's going anywhere anytime soon but it isn't horrible. So ya my question is was the original ligth novel better and is it simply the case something this exposition heavy just wasn't suited to a relatively cheap TV anime?
momentieSep 29, 2021 6:24 AM
Sep 29, 2021 8:14 AM
Apr 2021
From what I have heard from LN readers is that JC staff really cut out some things because of budget reasons. The animation is very generic, most battle scenes are off screen or non existent whereas in the LN the battle scenes are much more graphic and gruesome and there is some really good tension during them which this adaptation didn't manage to replicate because of the budget probably.

An example being in episode 11 or 12 I believe when

However, regardless of that, I still personally really enjoyed this show and found it to be a very fun watch. Glad it is getting a part 2 in Winter.
Potatomato12Sep 29, 2021 8:21 AM
Sep 29, 2021 8:55 AM
Jan 2020
The LN is always particularly better and it's JC Staff we're talking about, they kind of always ruin the pacing in LN their adaptations.

Railgun is an exception
Sep 29, 2021 9:21 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Potatomato12 said:
From what I have heard from LN readers is that JC staff really cut out some things because of budget reasons. The animation is very generic, most battle scenes are off screen or non existent whereas in the LN the battle scenes are much more graphic and gruesome and there is some really good tension during them which this adaptation didn't manage to replicate because of the budget probably.

However, regardless of that, I still personally really enjoyed this show and found it to be a very fun watch. Glad it is getting a part 2 in Winter.

That's sort of what I suspected, it really seemed like there was some deeper stuff going on and hints at Souma actually questioning his morality in sending thousands on both sides to their deaths but it was only hints. Hopefully the second season migth catch some of what you mentioned😎😁.

Ronninn said:
The LN is always particularly better and it's JC Staff we're talking about, they kind of always ruin the pacing in LN their adaptations.

Railgun is an exception

Railgun, danmachi, Shakagan no Shana, zero no Tsukima, the slayers, toradora, pet girl, etc etc.

JC have faults but ligth novels are there specialty😅, a little poor pacing is well worth it for their usual level of care and charm. My issue with this new show was terrible pacing combined with bad animation and directing. The fact that's it's JC is why I asked, were it any other large studios what we got wouldn't be surprizing😂.
Sep 29, 2021 9:57 AM
Jan 2020
momentie said:
Potatomato12 said:

. \

That's sort of what I suspected, it really seemed like there was some deeper stuff going on and hints at Souma actually questioning his morality in sending thousands on both sides to their deaths but it was only hints. Hopefully the second season migth catch some of what you mentioned😎😁.

Ronninn said:

Railgun is an exception

Railgun, danmachi, Shakagan no Shana, zero no Tsukima, the slayers, toradora, pet girl, etc etc.

JC have faults but ligth novels are there specialty😅, a little poor pacing is well worth it for their usual level of care and charm. My issue with this new show was terrible pacing combined with bad animation and directing. The fact that's it's JC is why I asked, were it any other large studios what we got wouldn't be surprizing😂.
Those we're there golden days. I mean on how rushed Index III (9 VOLUMES), Danmachi S2 and Date a live III
Sep 29, 2021 9:59 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Those we're there golden days. I mean on how rushed Index III (9 VOLUMES), Danmachi S2 and Date a live III
[/quote]

Can't I wish to have the golden days back😭😭? To be fair, while I agree the pacing was butchered and the source wasn't great for Danmachi S2, the production was still quite good and if this new show had had that standard it would be quite impressive regardless of the writing but ya I suppose your rigth.... I miss the 2000's lol
momentieSep 29, 2021 12:13 PM
Sep 29, 2021 1:18 PM
Feb 2021
The whole thing was kinda just average tbh with nothing special
Sep 29, 2021 3:19 PM

Apr 2010
It was not a good adaptation, no. It was a dirt cheap project that had terrible pacing and decision making in what to keep and what to cut for time. Whether the original story is good or not is entirely up to your own preferences. I don't think it's amazing, but I still find it entertaining enough to read through the 13 volumes that have been translated so far. I believe v14 is due out next month.
I would suggest giving the manga adaptation a quick read through. It's a better adaptation and covers about as much as the anime. If you like what you see, move on to the LNs which have even more detail and obviously more story.
antonnSep 29, 2021 3:24 PM
Sep 29, 2021 5:45 PM
Jun 2019
I would joke and say the manga has better animation than the anime does.
Sep 29, 2021 11:29 PM
Jul 2021
1. not the best animations.
2. not the best pace.
3. not a hi budget project, much more trial and error beta test experiment.
4. good opening song.
5. IM SO DISSAPOINTED WITH PONCO VOICE ACTOR, IN LN HES AWSOME AND NOT MAKING REPEATED "HI" WORD, DAMN IT He have huge role in the kindom.

but good enough / decent adaptaion when reach half episode to the end.

im not blame the studio they pick one of the hardest LN adaptation to become anime, heck even when you read the light novel will make you to make a questions.

how to make this anime ? its tooo much materials, hard to skip the details here and there.

they pull it off quite good enough with decent budget.

if you not satisfied with the anime, you can come back re read the light novel or manga.

so yeah rating 7 is fine because the poor quality but the story still there, lets hope season 2 the anime quality will improve.

realist hero season 1 is that anime you need to care more about the STORY than those kind of guy that workships "OOOOH goood GrAphics Cult".

want to rate it 8 ? no we can't do that.

they need to improve the animations quality, many very stiff animations here and there ( just look carefuly every character movement you will notice it ) and story pace.
RedCobra75Sep 30, 2021 4:41 AM
Sep 30, 2021 3:30 AM
Aug 2018
RedCobra75 said:
2. not the best pace.
4. good opening song.
5. IM SO DISSAPOINTED WITH PONCO VOICE ACTOR, IN LN HES AWSOME AND NOT MAKING REPEATED "HI" WORD, DAMN IT He have huge role in the kindom.

im not blame the studio they pick one of the hardest LN adaptation to become anime, heck even when you read the light novel will make you to make a questions.

how to make this anime ? its tooo much materials, hard to skip the details here and there.

if you not satisfied with the anime, you can come back re read the light novel or manga.

so yeah rating 7 is fine because the poor quality but the story still there, lets hope season 2 the anime quality will improve it.

realist hero season 1 is that anime you need to care more about the STORY than those kind of guy that workships "OOOOH goood GrAphics Cult".

they need to improve the animations and story pace.
hi word is his habit
Sep 30, 2021 6:01 AM
Jul 2021
Bbqbear said:

and sadly to say...........the manga art waaaaay better than the anime lol.

the manga also bring the extra details that left behind in the anime, the 3 diva loli, cat girl and goodess juna, news girls, and other small info ext.

RedCobra75Oct 1, 2021 9:27 AM
Sep 30, 2021 7:26 AM
Jun 2020
I read the manga and than went into the anime.I read up until the MC taking over Amedonia and I have watched until 11 episode.

First thing I noticed was that the blue haired girl and the blue haired Duke wasn't as appealing/attractive as in the manga.The animation is really generic.

Second thing I noticed was that some scenes that were in the manga were not in the anime.

Honestly disappointed but I expected to be disappointed.
6/10 maybe...

[I have not read the light novel.This is my opinion after reading some chapters from the manga and watching the anime.Please do not mind if I made any mistakes.I have a lot more to say but I am lazy so this is it]

~~~Thank you for reading until now~~~
Sep 30, 2021 6:28 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
6See said:
The whole thing was kinda just average tbh with nothing special
antonn said:
It was not a good adaptation, no. It was a dirt cheap project that had terrible pacing and decision making in what to keep and what to cut for time. Whether the original story is good or not is entirely up to your own preferences. I don't think it's amazing, but I still find it entertaining enough to read through the 13 volumes that have been translated so far. I believe v14 is due out next month.
I would suggest giving the manga adaptation a quick read through. It's a better adaptation and covers about as much as the anime. If you like what you see, move on to the LNs which have even more detail and obviously more story.
RedCobra75 said:
2. not the best pace.
4. good opening song.

so yeah rating 7 is fine because the poor quality but the story still there, lets hope season 2 the anime quality will improve.

they need to improve the animations quality, many very stiff animations here and there ( just look carefuly every character movement you will notice it ) and story pace.

I'll certainly consider looking at the manga as I did think there was some genuine potential beneth the surface. And I agree the structuring of the show seems way out of order, with bizare things getting the priority.

Bbqbear said:
RedCobra75 said:
Bbqbear said:

and sadly to say...........the manga art waaaaay better than the anime lol.

the manga also bring the extra details that left behind in the anime, the 3 diva loli, cat girl and goodess , news girls ext.

It's sad it went this way, JC used to have a real talent for simple but really endearing art-styles, it's quite the let down visually😕😕.

NEW_Ark said:
I read the manga and than went into the anime.I read up until the MC taking over Amedonia and I have watched until 11 episode.

First thing I noticed was that the blue haired girl and the blue haired Duke wasn't as appealing/attractive as in the manga.The animation is really generic.

Second thing I noticed was that some scenes that were in the manga were not in the anime.

Honestly disappointed but I expected to be disappointed.
6/10 maybe...

[I have not read the light novel.This is my opinion after reading some chapters from the manga and watching the anime.Please do not mind if I made any mistakes.I have a lot more to say but I am lazy so this is it]

~~~Thank you for reading until now~~~

I hear ya, I didn't really go in expecting much but the first episode was promising and JC are an old favourite of mine but yup pretty medicore by the end. I also gave it a 6, I did a short review if your interested, migth cover some of what you mentioned👍👍.
Sep 30, 2021 6:32 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
RedCobra75 said:
2. not the best pace.
4. good opening song.

Sayan_Pal said:
RedCobra75 said:
2. not the best pace.
4. good opening song.

so yeah rating 7 is fine because the poor quality but the story still there, lets hope season 2 the anime quality will improve it.

they need to improve the animations and story pace.
hi word is his habit

Ummm he's not saying 'hi', he's saying 'hai' which is Japanese for 'yes' or 'yes sir' losely speaking. I think the intention is to show his nervousness around people by having him always finish his sentence with "Yes sir!". 👍👍, It's also often used to denote a cute or childish character, ala alot of mascots finish their sentances with 'hai-desu'. So it's possible it's meant to be seen as sort of cute in a sense👍👍.
Sep 30, 2021 11:21 PM
Aug 2018
momentie said:
RedCobra75 said:
2. not the best pace.
4. good opening song.

Sayan_Pal said:
hi word is his habit

Ummm he's not saying 'hi', he's saying 'hai' which is Japanese for 'yes' or 'yes sir' losely speaking. I think the intention is to show his nervousness around people by having him always finish his sentence with "Yes sir!". 👍👍, It's also often used to denote a cute or childish character, ala alot of mascots finish their sentances with 'hai-desu'. So it's possible it's meant to be seen as sort of cute in a sense👍👍.
Whatever habbit it is good

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2021

101 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Oct 8, 12:02 PM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2021

76 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 20, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2021

62 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 13, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2021

73 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 8, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2021

85 by Tsinelas »»
Jun 1, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.