Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 2021 2:32 PM

Nov 2015
If you don't know what MALGraph/Anime+ is for the poll, you can use the extension here.

So this is something I've been wondering about for a while, but how much of a factor is Studio for you when deciding what to watch? Is it something that most people notice? Or is it only something that only matters in hindsight?

I've got more than a couple different projects trying to find out if there's any way to see how each different anime studio can be compared. But before I share my findings I'm curious to know what you think about the subject?

1. Do you have a favorite studio?

2. How important is studio when deciding what anime to watch? Will you be more/less likely to watch an anime from a particular studio?

3. Do you think there are some anime that would have been done better by a different studio?

4. Do you think some anime studios are better at certain types of series than others?

5. Finally, what sort of data would you be interested in looking at when thinking about anime studios?
ISOQuorraMay 23, 2021 2:41 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 23, 2021 7:49 PM

May 2020
1. I wouldn't day that I have a favourite studio. I don't particularly look out for a specific studio's works when I seek anime. My favourite studio according to MALGraph is OLM (The studio that makes the Pokemon anime) but the second one is Production I.G., which personally, I do really like. I'm indifferent to other studios though.

2. Not important at all. It doesn't affect what I choose to watch but it will affect my expectations. If I'm watching a Production I.G or MAPPA anime, I know I can expect some good animation and conversely, I can forgive terrible animation if its from someone like DEEN.

3. I don't really know. Maybe, maybe not. I don't think any studio is particularly better than the other when it comes to anime. Some of them are consistently good, others less so.

4. I think so. Production I.G, ufotable and MAPPA, along with a few others are pretty good at action, while studios like P.A Works are pretty good at slice-of-life. But for the most part, I think the kind of anime a studio can make depends on the quality of the animators it can hire.

5. I think it would be very interesting to see how the quality of each anime a studio has produced since the beginning of its inception has changed over time. Did some studios peak too early ? Are others finally find their footing ? How many just can't make it not matter how much they try ?
May 24, 2021 1:39 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
1. Do you have a favorite studio?

A: I do have a favorite studio, it is Doga Kobo, I liked feel. by the past, as well as Kyoto Animation, though.

2. How important is studio when deciding what anime to watch? Will you be more/less likely to watch an anime from a particular studio?

A: The studio is very important, though I wouldn't consider past works enough to dissuade me from giving a shot to a series. It's more a matter of being attracted to a studio for what they've shown in the past. Doga Kobo, for instance, have shown likely to use yuribait fanservice, and focus (to me) on moe, CGDCT slice-of-life...

3. Do you think there are some anime that would have been done better by a different studio?

Clearly, but I don't have the expertise to know of a good example. Maybe that sometimes the first season and next season have too great of a change based on that? KonoSuba, anyone? I've heard the same for One Punch Man too.

4. Do you think some anime studios are better at certain types of series than others?

A: Probably, I mean I know the industry tends to outsource production but there is a degree of "homegrown", for example with full-time animators with Kyoto Animation? Plus I feel like studios come with capital, both in the form of links with the industry workers and with sheer monetary investment. Therefore great studios can have known voice-actors with a homely feel to their voices, produce many episodes...

5. Finally, what sort of data would you be interested in looking at when thinking about anime studios?
Most featured seiyuus, I would personally say. Or the genres a studio seems to focus on. Or the source material. I know Konomi Suzuki has been featured a number of times by SILVER LINK. and White Fox; that Doga Kobo in the 2000s animated VN adaptations; but that it seems to focus on slice-of-life comedy now.

Jun 26, 2021 5:29 AM

Nov 2017
1. Favorite? Apparently it is SILVER LINK.

2. Studio importance? I don't even look at the studio, just the stats, description, genres and pictures.

3. Anime different studio? Probably.

4. Studios better in genres than others? Yes, especially with shounen to shoujo or action to slice of life.

5. Interesting data? I love any kind of data. A few days ago I made a list of studios ranked from best to worst based on the average scores of their works.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1933245
024Jun 26, 2021 7:51 AM
Jun 17, 2022 9:07 PM

Mar 2014
Madhouse, to me at least :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Welcome to the club!

ISOQuorra - Nov 21, 2020

5 by ranime007 »»
Jun 17, 2022 9:27 PM

» Data for the top 50 series

ISOQuorra - Mar 11, 2021

2 by ISOQuorra »»
Mar 11, 2021 2:29 PM

Poll: » Seasonal Anime Data

ISOQuorra - Dec 20, 2020

0 by ISOQuorra »»
Dec 20, 2020 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.