Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2021 2:45 AM
Feb 2021
Earlier It didn't bother me that people were trash talking and hating on the show cause I found this show so wholesome and didn't care bout what people say but recently I came across so many people who talk absolute trash.
So there was this ig post of top 10 ships of the week were Ryou and Ichika ranked #2. I was so happy that this show was getting recognised and I commented 'Ryou and Ichika 💜'. I instantly received replies saying 'Ur Weird and Cringe and paedophile spotted'. The other comments says 'it is a disrespect to other ships that Ryou and Ichika ranked #2'. How do I counter such people
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 11, 2021 3:11 AM

Aug 2019
I don't think you can counter the show being grooming and literally illegal sorry dude
Jun 11, 2021 3:15 AM
May 2021
These top ships look more popular than anything else, even though the anime is horrible and poorly produced. People don't hate the anime, just the fact that the people who liked it don't accept the fact that it's a bad anime. I've already said bad things about anime and if I see it's good I go back on my word, but not with this anime, it's really bad.
Jun 11, 2021 3:15 AM
Dec 2020
Well... It's a show that is based on a 16 year old and a 26 year old dude. There are people who find this show uncomfortable and others who don't find it uncomfortable. Personally I'd say I like the show more if the meal lead had a more likable personality and wasn't so possessive
Jun 11, 2021 3:25 AM
Feb 2021
Well its a show about the relationship between a high school girl and an employed man. Sure in most country its unacceptable, so thats mainly why. I believe this is normal in Japan, so in Japan I think this show dont get that much hate. But its not very popular either, so IDK.
Jun 11, 2021 3:32 AM

Oct 2015
AbelNhom said:
Well its a show about the relationship between a high school girl and an employed man. Sure in most country its unacceptable, so thats mainly why. I believe this is normal in Japan, so in Japan I think this show dont get that much hate. But its not very popular either, so IDK.

It's unacceptable in Japan too but this is fiction.
Jun 11, 2021 4:14 AM
Oct 2020
I actually love and enjoy the show, everyone tends to mix reality and fiction, but this is just a love fiction story, enjoy it.
Jun 11, 2021 4:18 AM
Feb 2021
liliyoa said:
I don't think you can counter the show being grooming and literally illegal sorry dude
The show is set in Japan and this relationship is not “literally ilegal” there, it’s actually not illegal at all.
Jun 11, 2021 6:09 AM
Feb 2021
First of all, to answer your question, the anime mostly recieves hate for the big age gap between the two love interests.

However listen, that's actually very common in anime so it doesn't bother me that much as long as the girl and the family are ok with that (the family are). So that's why I watched it.

So you see that doesn't seem to be the main issue here. The problem is that the guy from the beginning kept crossing the boundaries, so even after getting rejected by the girl, he never stopped stalking her. His actions such as stalking as I mentioned already, getting her phone number, personal informations, sending gifts, asked to have sex (actually there's a context to that but still inappropriate) and so on WITHOUT her consent is what truly set the audience off. The MC really felt uncomfortable by his actions so it's not just us being dramatic. Watching it all felt very disgusting and disturbing.
scarletdawn_Jun 11, 2021 6:12 AM
Jun 11, 2021 6:17 AM

Oct 2020
He isn’t doing anything bad. Ichika likes Ryou so what’s the problem.
She’s not 10, she’s 17.

Jun 11, 2021 6:25 AM
Mar 2021
i do not consider this to be good but i find it entertaining, on the other hand i think that yes, it is somewhat strange that as a 26 year old man wants to go out with a 16 year old girl, but i don't think it is enough for the series dea hated and most considered all animes where the protagonist literally has some kind of relationship outside the fraternal with his little sister.
Jun 11, 2021 9:33 AM
Oct 2018
Even if I put aside the weird age gap, the male lead is insufferable. He’s possessive, childish, and has no concept of personal boundaries. To make matters worse, Ichika slowly starts to fall for him as well. This completely validates Ryo’s obnoxious behavior, which is just agonizing for me. It also really doesn’t help that the production values of this show are abyssal. The color palette is dull and the sound quality is distracting.
Jun 11, 2021 10:19 AM

Feb 2021
liliyoa said:

It's amazing that this keeps coming up as if it had any basis in fact.

This has been addressed countless times. Pedophilia is sexual attraction to prepubescent children, which is indeed illegal, but not what's going on in Koikimo. Furthermore, they have not engaged in anything sexual, and even if they had, she's of sufficient age to consent in all but a small handful of countries.

The worst you can accuse this show of is being creepy, but of course, this is all assuming, since these terms have been used in the context of "legality," that any of it applies to fiction in the first place. But hey, if you still need to learn the difference between your opinions and legal definitions, maybe you need to go through puberty yourself.

As for OP's question, Instagram is basically Facebook - everyone wants to be promoted based on what they post, and if vandalizing your innocuous comment will get them liked, agreed with, and one step closer to being able to monetize their social fuckery, they won't hesitate. Not worth the headache dealing with them.

Wiz-Pip said:
Even if I put aside the weird age gap, the male lead is insufferable. He’s possessive, childish, and has no concept of personal boundaries. To make matters worse, Ichika slowly starts to fall for him as well. This completely validates Ryo’s obnoxious behavior, which is just agonizing for me. It also really doesn’t help that the production values of this show are abyssal. The color palette is dull and the sound quality is distracting.

On the other hand, these kinds of perspectives I actually appreciate. I can acknowledge opinions when they're not presented in some kind of "anyone who thinks this is acceptable needs to be thrown in jail" condemnation.
Jun 11, 2021 11:53 AM
Apr 2018
People hate on it cu of the age dif. Dont bother with those people and just enjoy the show.
Jun 11, 2021 1:27 PM

Aug 2019
brenobluhm said:
liliyoa said:
The show is set in Japan and this relationship is not “literally ilegal” there, it’s actually not illegal at all.
What do you think the age of consent is in Japan dude?
Jun 11, 2021 1:29 PM
Feb 2021
liliyoa said:
brenobluhm said:
It used to be 13 nationally, now ir changes depending on the city. I’m pretty sure it’s less than 17 in Tokyo so their relationship is definitely not breaking any laws.
Jun 11, 2021 1:34 PM

Aug 2019
brenobluhm said:
liliyoa said:
It used to be 13 nationally, now ir changes depending on the city. I’m pretty sure it’s less than 17 in Tokyo so their relationship is definitely not breaking any laws.

Age of consent in Tokyo is 18, and if you have to say "Well it's TECHNICALLY legal!" That's still fuckin weird. It's not 13 that's the national MINIMUM age of consent. And that's for 13 year olds consenting to each other, not a grown man. When you google the age of consent it says 13 as an oversimplification and then no one ever reads the article.
Jun 11, 2021 1:37 PM
Feb 2021
liliyoa said:
brenobluhm said:

Age of consent in Tokyo is 18, and if you have to say "Well it's TECHNICALLY legal!" That's still fuckin weird. It was never 13 that's the national MINIMUM age of consent.
Any sources on the Tokyo age of consent being 18? Also I do think 13 is a weird age of consent, that’s why I prefer the age of consent in my country (16 years old).
Jun 11, 2021 1:46 PM

Aug 2019
As a girl Ichika's age and as someone who's friend got groomed, it's a show where a nearly 20 year old man harasses this teenager until she gives in. Not a good look.
Jun 11, 2021 1:49 PM

Aug 2019
brenobluhm said:
liliyoa said:

Age of consent in Tokyo is 18, and if you have to say "Well it's TECHNICALLY legal!" That's still fuckin weird. It was never 13 that's the national MINIMUM age of consent.
Any sources on the Tokyo age of consent being 18? Also I do think 13 is a weird age of consent, that’s why I prefer the age of consent in my country (16 years old).

" In Japan the age of consent is low at 13, although some municipalities such as Tokyo prohibit sexual activity under 18 years old in most circumstances."
https://www.theweek.co.uk/92121/ages-of-consent-around-the-world
https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/japan
https://historyofyesterday.com/why-is-the-age-of-consent-in-japan-only-13-year-old-e4363d0ea679
The age of consent is 13 for *other* 13 year olds. The history of yesterday article even has a chart.
Jun 11, 2021 2:10 PM

Feb 2020
People should stop worrying about the age of consent until they actually have sex.
Jun 11, 2021 2:51 PM
Feb 2021
liliyoa said:
brenobluhm said:

" In Japan the age of consent is low at 13, although some municipalities such as Tokyo prohibit sexual activity under 18 years old in most circumstances."
https://historyofyesterday.com/why-is-the-age-of-consent-in-japan-only-13-year-old-e4363d0ea679
The age of consent is 13 for *other* 13 year olds. The history of yesterday article even has a chart.
Yeah, age of consent in 18 is truly stupid imo. It turns a relationship between a 19 year old and a 17 year old into something criminal when in many times we actually see couples with these ages. Imagine a 19 year old dude having sex with a 17 year old girlfriend and being judged as a raper because of this age of consent. Yikes.
Jun 11, 2021 3:35 PM

Aug 2019
brenobluhm said:
liliyoa said:

Yeah, age of consent in 18 is truly stupid imo. It turns a relationship between a 19 year old and a 17 year old into something criminal when in many times we actually see couples with these ages. Imagine a 19 year old dude having sex with a 17 year old girlfriend and being judged as a raper because of this age of consent. Yikes.
romero & juliet laws bro no ones trying to put that in jail.
Jun 11, 2021 4:49 PM

Aug 2019
HatTrickPatrick said:
liliyoa said:

This has been addressed countless times. Pedophilia is sexual attraction to prepubescent children, which is indeed illegal, but not what's going on in Koikimo. Furthermore, they have not engaged in anything sexual, and even if they had, she's of sufficient age to consent in all but a small handful of countries.

The worst you can accuse this show of is being creepy, but of course, this is all assuming, since these terms have been used in the context of "legality," that any of it applies to fiction in the first place. But hey, if you still need to learn the difference between your opinions and legal definitions, maybe you need to go through puberty yourself.

As for OP's question, Instagram is basically Facebook - everyone wants to be promoted based on what they post, and if vandalizing your innocuous comment will get them liked, agreed with, and one step closer to being able to monetize their social fuckery, they won't hesitate. Not worth the headache dealing with them.

Wiz-Pip said:

On the other hand, these kinds of perspectives I actually appreciate. I can acknowledge opinions when they're not presented in some kind of "anyone who thinks this is acceptable needs to be thrown in jail" condemnation.
He hasn't done anything yet that would get him thrown in jail but he's harassing and trying to court a minor. If he tried to do anything more he'd get charged. In Japan where this takes place it'd be a crime, none of this "handful of countries" bullshit. tf is wrong with you lmao
Jun 11, 2021 5:51 PM
Sep 2019
I think for most people, like myself, it's the grooming. Its literally an adult not respecting boundaries even when the answer is clearly no. It's the adult pushing their interests until they get a response that works for them.
Jun 11, 2021 6:03 PM
Sep 2020
Personally I don’t mind it, the interactions between ryou and Ichika are just funny and wholesome to me. I don’t understand why people say you support pedophilia if you enjoy this, you’re just ignorant if you think that tbh she’s basically 17. You can be a functioning member of society at that age so I don’t see the problem.
Jun 12, 2021 1:26 AM
Mar 2021
My parents has a pretty big gap in age so, I didn't felt very uncomfortable about the show. Of course, I was hesitant about continue it but the show is so wholesome that I don't wanna. I'm not saying a 26 year old man is appropriate to be in a relationship with a 16 year old but if you're enjoying then what's the problem. It's not like it's happening in real life. Also, the MC has started to realized that you'll face problems. Just like his friend said, be ready to get
Jun 12, 2021 1:27 AM
Mar 2021
My parents has a pretty big gap in age so, I didn't felt very uncomfortable about the show. Of course, I was hesitant about continuing it but the show is so wholesome. I'm not saying a 26 year old man is appropriate to be in a relationship with a 16 year old but if you're enjoying then what's the problem. It's not like it's happening in real life. Also, the MC has started to realized that you'll face problems. Just like his friend said, be ready to get hurt.
Jun 12, 2021 1:35 AM

Jul 2020
For me it's the characters. It's mainly Ryo, but the other characters weren't the best either, none of them were able to keep me watching the series.
Jun 12, 2021 1:58 AM
Jan 2016
The power imbalance is what makes it so unwatchable for me. Ichika is never in control of what's happening, she just eventually gave in, because she doesn't have the experience to see what's happening, and every person around her approves the other ones advances. Ryo and his sister are both selfish and manipulative and they get their way all the time.
I guess if the male lead was ugly no one would find his actions cute. But in the end, his whole attitude is just taken as a joke and seen as romantic, cuz what could be more romantic then a grown up person pursuing a highschooler while acting like a puppy with attachement issues who knows no boundaries. Not to talk about the creepy sister who enables him.
Jun 12, 2021 5:23 AM
Dec 2019
HatTrickPatrick said:
liliyoa said:

Wiz-Pip said:

For me it's very unfortunate combination of big age gap between adult and teenager and creepy harassing behavior from adult. Age gap relationship is at much bigger risk of imbalance, where older partner can end up basically taking the wheels of ends up controlling the younger, because he already has job, long-term friends, most of the money, experience etc, which is why it requires maturity and care from both partners, especially from the older. And of course there are adults who prey on almost-adult teenagers on purpose and groom them, because they want that control.
Making the older partner guy who starts with ignoring both social rules (proposing to minor) and her wishes directly until the wishes change is recipe for disastrous relationship especially for Ichika. Ryo has changed now? The show validates his horrible attitude (plus adults don't change so easily). If he could go back in time, would he behave properly in first episode if it meant losing his chance with his current girlfriend? And if not, the moment their relation enters rocky ground his faults will come out again, resulting in return of paranoia about her male colleagues that can take her from him, and in attempts to control her life, especially since the basis of their relation is not very solid "he insisted until the girl with zero relationship experience gave in".
Most age-gap couple shows have to work hard to convince the viewer the ship is sea-worthy. Koikimo starts on the reefs.
The part where some women wrote they had stalkers behaving in similar way to 1st ep Ryo (without the falling in love part obviously) doesn't help to make it likable.
Bear_from_caveJun 12, 2021 8:57 AM
Jun 12, 2021 6:24 AM

Feb 2017
For me, this show is my first age gap romance show. It's quite funny at times. I especially like the manipulative-yet-caring little sister. But despite being sincere, the stalker and masochist tendencies of the MMC bring down the enjoyment level by quite a bit. Otherwise this would have been a wholesome and cute romcom even with the age difference.

I treat them as just fiction and just something to entertain me and leave it at that. However, I can also understand why people would feel disgusted by the show. There will also be others who view such relationships as taboo due to legal and social norms that is prevalent. The less than savory methods used by the MMC doesn't help either.

You don't need to counter such people. You like the show because of your own reasons. They dislike it because of their own reasons. Opinions on entertainment is not something that can be countered with logic since they are subjective.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Jun 13, 2021 4:37 PM
Sep 2020
why i hate it so much? try the bad audio quality, or the sloppy animation, or the weak plot, or all of the other 100 ploblems this anime have.
If you think the hate is all in the pedo stuff you are ignoring a lot of structural crap this anime has.
Jun 13, 2021 7:56 PM

May 2009
Thread locked for breaking rule #5 of AD.

The initial question started fine, but the posts are becoming more about pedophilia than the anime itself.

Anime Discussion Rules 5: Please refrain from posting thread topics which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated social and/or moral issues. This includes but is not limited to: pedophilia, gender/racial equality, sexual orientation, etc.

OP's question might also be a better fit for the General Advice Thread.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2021

149 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Sep 15, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2021

60 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Sep 15, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2021

70 by TsutanaiFuun »»
May 25, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2021

72 by TsutanaiFuun »»
May 25, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Clas1ck - Mar 29, 2021

275 by TsutanaiFuun »»
May 24, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.