Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 21, 2020 1:15 PM

Nov 2015
This is place to introduce yourself and talk about what kinds of data you like.

A few things to get to know you:

1. Tell us your name and either how long you've been watching anime or when you first joined MAL
  2. What kind of anime you like; list your favorite series, genres, studios, etc.
  3. What made you interested in anime data or related subjects
  4. What kinds of projects you've done, if any. Or what kinds of things you're interested in
  5. Interesting ideas for future projects or ongoing current ones (or just what kind of stuff you think would be cool to see in general) I might lowkey steal a project idea to add to the bunch I'm already doing (with permission, of course)

I'm ISOQuorra (but also Quorra or just ISO, for short) and I've been on the site for 5 years now. I started watching anime in high school. I like a wide range of anime, but I'm a sucker when it comes to really good action animation or battle scenes. Some of my favorites include, Attack on Titan, Ghost in the Shell, and Fate. I've always been interested in data and stuff - mainly predictions and correlations - but it wasn't until I actually took a class in statistics that I realized that I could run my own analyses and track different stuff. I have far too many projects of varying degrees of completion to list here, but I'll probably be making posts about them every once in a while.

My largest ones include: tracking all of the largest shows per season, tracking the top 50 anime on the database, and analyzing correlations between score and other factors (studio, genre, year, season, etc).

Always open for collaboration with anyone. I'm really good at data scrapping if you want help on a project that's very time-consuming
ISOQuorraMay 23, 2021 2:53 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 27, 2020 10:40 PM

Oct 2019
Hi! I'm Benti.

I've been watching anime for a little more than a year, and joined MAL at about the same time. I enjoy storytelling in general, so it's difficult for me to pinpoint favorite genres but I tend to prefer shows with likeable and fleshed out characters over anything else.

I study psychology at university (I think the US equivalent will be to say that I'm a senior in a psychology major), but I've always loved statistics, particularly studying correlation of different factors and trying to predict behavior and outcomes, and I tend to do exactly that with my hobbies. I haven't done it with anime... yet.
Apr 26, 2021 8:37 AM

May 2020
Yo, I'm TitanInsane. You can call me Titan if you like.

I've been watching anime since I was a child but I never really thought it was anime. I grew up watching Dragonball, Pokemon and also Ninja Hattori occasionally but it was Fairy Tail, Nisekoi and SAO (Jesus, it's like the anime trash taste Trinity isn't it ?) that really got me hooked into anime. I stopped watching anime for a few years after that and then got back into the medium after I started reading manga 2 years ago.

I don't really have any particular likes or dislikes when it comes to anime/manga. The only genres I try to avoid are harem and ecchi. I prefer manga to anime and I usually only watch anime originals. If it's an adaptation, I'd rather read the source material.

As for data. I'll admit by appreciation for it is surface level at best (I didn't care for statistics when I had to study it at school) but I do sincerely want to learn more about it and how it's interpreted. I'm just a gigantic sucker for colourful graphs and pie charts and this club seems like a great way to see more cool graphs.

As for projects, I have none. That kind of things initiative and motivation and I have neither of those things. But there is an idea that I've been playing around with : How the ratings of source materials on MAL change when they receive adaptations. It's probably not very relevant but I personally find it very interesting that a manga can go from a relatively low-key score to a pretty high one just by receiving an adaptation. Is it just because more people are introduced to it ? Or is the adaptation influencing people into giving higher/lower scores ? There's probably an answer to it but I'm too lazy to find out.

Anyway, keep up the great work ISO. I find your work really interesting and I hope you keep enjoying what you're doing.
May 23, 2021 2:57 PM

Nov 2015
Welcome, @TitanInsane!

I'm glad you wanted to join this club and that you're interested in what we got going on here. I'm always excited to see more people that like looking at cool graphs and charts.

Also I like your idea of looking at how manga scores change with adaptation. Personally I've always been an anime-only fan, and so I haven't really checked out the manga side of this site, but I think it would be a really cool idea. I have friends that are more into manga and anime and I'm curious to see how much of an effect the announcement of an adaptation has. The only recent example I can think of is maybe Demon Slayer or Horimiya, but there are probably loads more.

May 23, 2021 7:54 PM

May 2020
ISOQuorra said:
Welcome, @TitanInsane!

I'm glad you wanted to join this club and that you're interested in what we got going on here. I'm always excited to see more people that like looking at cool graphs and charts.

Also I like your idea of looking at how manga scores change with adaptation. Personally I've always been an anime-only fan, and so I haven't really checked out the manga side of this site, but I think it would be a really cool idea. I have friends that are more into manga and anime and I'm curious to see how much of an effect the announcement of an adaptation has. The only recent example I can think of is maybe Demon Slayer or Horimiya, but there are probably loads more.

If you'd like a preliminary taste of what a source material data list looks like, I'd suggest you head over to the MAL Score Progressions Club and check out their seasonal breakdown list. They track scores for every season of anime and the source material the anime is based off of. You might like this club a lot.
Jun 17, 2022 9:27 PM

Mar 2014
I am R and have been watching anime since 2012. My friend introduced me to naruto in 2009 and before that in Animax in my childhood but in university only, I came to find out about the whole anime/ manga world.

My taste is not specific, but a mix, I rarely watch music/ sports type though. Also lately I prefer seinen a lot more. Always struggle to keep my list updated on MAL but I do record them in a doc for the record.

I am in AI like extensively (it's my job) so looking at data around anime is fascinating.

My project list is long (mostly work-related) but currently, as a pet project I am working passionately on a language model-based anime recommendation system - https://animebetsuni.herokuapp.com/ feel free to tell me if it is shitty... haha.

Happy to know that you are a pro in data scrapping, I only know BeautifulSoup. I wonder if there is a way to scrap rightfully the anime recommendation forum board, then with that data, I would be able to make really high-quality anime recommendation system.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is there a Best Studio?

ISOQuorra - May 23, 2021

4 by ranime007 »»
Jun 17, 2022 9:07 PM

» Data for the top 50 series

ISOQuorra - Mar 11, 2021

2 by ISOQuorra »»
Mar 11, 2021 2:29 PM

Poll: » Seasonal Anime Data

ISOQuorra - Dec 20, 2020

0 by ISOQuorra »»
Dec 20, 2020 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.