Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 29, 2020 6:04 PM

Oct 2013
So lately I finally started my adventure with Gundam universe.

I had some problems with picking a proper Gundam anime for me, I mean a person who wants to start watching this series, but has no idea which position would be the best to watch as the first Gundam show.

I did a fast research, mostly on YouTube, but in the end I must say I was not satisfied. I appreciate people who shared their opinions, but reading long posts or watching over 15-20 minutes long videos just to learn something I have already known (that there are many timelines, alternative universes etc.) was ridicilous.

I read one comment saying that Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is a very good anime. I checked its ratings on MAL - they are quite decent as we speak, therefore I decided to start my adventure with this franchise from 00. In one comment somebody pointed out it was his first pick as well and that he/she doesn't regret it, even after years, when that user is already familiar with other Gundam-related series.

My problem is that... I feel as if 00 was quite hollow. Animation and effects are good, the setting is also interesting (our planet in the future, theme of global struggle for resources and domination etc.), but I just don't feel it. I can't find much joy from watching its scenes that are not filled with action and Gundams fighting (I see it as the best thing offered by 00, at least after its first episodes).

There are too many characters introduced right in the beginning. Action keeps on jumping from one side to another and we have at least four strong players internationally. What's more, I don't care really about main crew and the fact I find their enemies more interesting is not an advantage, because with that amount of characters it's ridicilous that literally noone catched my attention (well, maybe one or two Gundam pilots, but I like only their machines and design, lol).

Am I missing something in this series, or maybe picking 00 for my first Gundam series was a bad choice? If the latter, then what do you recommend to me? Or maybe there is another explaination: that I had too high expectations on this series? I'm neutral about mecha stuff. I'm not its fan, but its not like I don't like this genre. I just prefer others and the reason I picked Gundam was because I heard it is a decent sci-fi series. While I agree it is decent as a sci-fi show, I must disagree that it is that much entertaining (at least when we are talking about 00 and my taste) as many people said.
May 29, 2020 6:12 PM

Jan 2009
there are 2 timelines of Gundam the first is the Universal Century or UC timeline and the other is Alternative Universe or AU timeline

you can pick any show from the AU timeline

Gundam 00 is one of the AU timeline Gundams and its also one the best Gundam unfortunately so if you do not like it then ye Gundam is not for you

but maybe try Gundam The Origin and Gundam Unicorn that are both OVAs but ye they are part of the UC timeline although you can still understand most of it like 90%-95% of the story i can confirm that since i never seen the original Gundam TV series anyway but i plan to read the remake manga called Gundam The Origin and yes the OVA with the same name did not animate all of it until the end
May 29, 2020 7:14 PM

May 2010
AU is the easier because you can pick and choose but UC is more rewarding, IMO.

Out of the AU, Gundam Seed is probably the easiest to digest because Kira and Athrun's motives are easy to understand. Problem with Seed is that it came out during the transition period to digital and I'm not a fan of how the colors look in modern TVs.

Plus, I find that the only really interesting character in 00 is Saji (and then maybe Louise). It's sad because I really wanted to like 00 but the main character just doesn't appeal to me.
May 29, 2020 7:40 PM

Aug 2012
Gundam 00 was my first in the franchise and the first season did start off a little slow, but the second season was really good.

The only other Gundam I've seen (read: completed) is Iron Blooded Orphans, but I hated the ending so... I don't know whether to recommend that or not.

I tried Gundam Seed, but found it painfully boring after three or four episodes I stalled it. I may come back to it some day, but it's not a branch of the franchise I'd recommend for just starting out...
May 29, 2020 9:21 PM

May 2019
00 is the entry that got me into the franchise and ironically a lot of the negatives you mentioned were reasons I loved it (the focus on a large ensemble cast and getting to see the perspectives of other factions).

If this one didn't do it for you I recommwnd watching After War Gundam X. The cast isn't as large and it's more focused around the core characters. It's a post-apocalyptic adventure story that manages to be hopeful and tell a sweet romance subplot despite the dismal setting.
May 29, 2020 9:29 PM

Dec 2007
I feel Gundam 00 is not a great choice for your first Gundam series. My general advise is to avoid watching any alternate universe series until you've experienced much of the mainline series (the Universal Century timeline). I somewhat enjoyed 00, it's among the better of the alternate universe series, but still pales in comparison to what the Universal Century series have to offer.

Any of these series in the UC timeline would make for a better entry point:
Mobile Suit Gundam (1979)
08th MS Team (1996)
Gundam Unicorn (2010)
Gundam Origin (2015)
May 29, 2020 9:34 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'd never recommend 00 unless I knew it'd fit someone's specific tastes, but okay.
I feel like there's a Gundam for everyone, but it all depends on what you usually look for in anime. Not every Gundam will appeal to everyone since they can be really different.

First, if you want to watch anything from the Universal Century timeline, it might help to watch the original Gundam. That's JUST to give you an idea of what's happening in that world. You can even watch the compilation movies for this. After that, you can pretty much watch anything in that timeline.

Other than that, different Gundam come with different tones. I'll bold the main aspects so you can skim if you want to.

If you think you'd like a Gundam that feels fun, then go for something that doesn't really focus on war but still has battles, like Mobile Fighter G Gundam. There are other Gundam that focus on Gundam as a sport/game like Gundam Build Divers (that one's pretty recent, so you might want to check out older ones like the Builders series).

If you'd prefer to focus more on the drama and less on the battles, then you might want to try Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

If you want to try a Gundam that feels a little more laid-back or has a slower pace (not that nothing serious happens), then perhaps go for Turn A Gundam or Gundam: G no Reconguista.

If you like stories where people... ah this is hard to explain. You'll get this in some form in darn near all Gundam, but if you want a Gundam where people usually seem to make decisions based not on logic but more on emotions, then you might want to check out SEED.

If you want a Gundam series where the themes and outcomes feel a little more dark, then perhaps check out Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, or-- mn, I guess I'd put Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans here.

But even within the little categories I threw together, so many of those are totally different from each other. Those aren't even all the ways you can divide. I'm just going a little long so I don't want to go too far. I'd make a category where the show is more focused on politics but man I can't even tell you which would be a better example of that from another. Same with Gundam design. I totally don't even keep track of those aspects specifically. Sorry.;;

And actually some of these I wouldn't even consider to be my favorites-- I didn't even mention some of my favorites. I just can't quite put some into a category. Still, it's just all about the general feel you're looking for.

"I can't find much joy from watching its scenes that are not filled with action and Gundams fighting"
I feel like I keep reading this wrong, but are you saying you'd prefer a Gundam with more action and battles? I can't quite remember which ones have more than others, but perhaps another Gundam fan can help with that. I think for Gundam though it's not always about the amount of battles but perhaps more about how the battles are choreographed that make the individual shows entertaining.

I really hope that helps.
If any other Gundam fan wants to use my reply to expand on their recommendations or totally disagree then please go ahead.
SwiggyMay 29, 2020 9:46 PM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
May 29, 2020 10:03 PM

Jun 2012
Adnash93 said:

There are too many characters introduced right in the beginning. Action keeps on jumping from one side to another and we have at least four strong players internationally. What's more, I don't care really about main crew and the fact I find their enemies more interesting is not an advantage, because with that amount of characters it's ridicilous that literally noone catched my attention (well, maybe one or two Gundam pilots, but I like only their machines and design, lol).

Am I missing something in this series, or maybe picking 00 for my first Gundam series was a bad choice? If the latter, then what do you recommend to me? Or maybe there is another explaination: that I had too high expectations on this series? I'm neutral about mecha stuff. I'm not its fan, but its not like I don't like this genre. I just prefer others and the reason I picked Gundam was because I heard it is a decent sci-fi series. While I agree it is decent as a sci-fi show, I must disagree that it is that much entertaining (at least when we are talking about 00 and my taste) as many people said.
It sounds like you need to be warmed up to the idea of a conflict viewed from the lens of multiple different factions. Stay away from Turn A, G no Reconguista, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack for now, if that is the case

Gundam 00 shouldn't be that difficult of a point of entry. All of the AU Gundam series were designed to introduce a broader and newer audience to the franchise, so 00 and SEED are going to be common recommendations.
I would honestly suggest the First Gundam film trilogy, if you haven't tried that already.
May 30, 2020 2:03 AM

Nov 2012
Try Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny they’re more easier to get into than most of the other entries and there’s only 2 series for it.
Yes there are a lot of Gundam entries but it isn’t difficult to figure what series lands in what Universe.
The Universal Century(UC) time line is the most popular and the first that is still getting entries to this day.
May 30, 2020 7:06 AM

Jul 2017
Swiggy said:
...I feel like there's a Gundam for everyone...

Very well said, Swiggy! ^^

I felt Gundam 00 was a solid entry point for beginners. It’s is worth because you don't really need to have previous knowledge of other Gundam entries to enjoy it. Then the (relatively) realistic geopolitcal context might get your attention.

Still Gundam 00 is pretty much a moot point, since the original poster didn't enjoy it. ^^

The OP mentions in his profile that one of his favorite anime is Saint Seiya so I should obviously point him to G Gundam. Both animes have a few things in common:

Epic Battles / Friendship / A friggin' Tournament / Burning "Nekketsu" Rage...

To sum up these two anime are quite opposites:

G Gundam is ridiculously overpowered whereas Gundam 00 is more logical.

If everything else fails try Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory. This one is near and dear to my heart:

Killer animation from the 90's OVAs days, great rivalry (Kou vs Anavel Gato), a soundtrack to remember (Magic by Jacob Wheeler is a jewel), a quality English dub...

"You're too loud, police girl. I don't care if you are a vampire. You're still English; have some manners." (Integra Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate)
May 30, 2020 7:11 AM

Jun 2012
Swiggy said:
I'd never recommend 00 unless I knew it'd fit someone's specific tastes, but okay.
I feel like there's a Gundam for everyone, but it all depends on what you usually look for in anime. Not every Gundam will appeal to everyone since they can be really different.

First, if you want to watch anything from the Universal Century timeline, it might help to watch the original Gundam. That's JUST to give you an idea of what's happening in that world. You can even watch the compilation movies for this. After that, you can pretty much watch anything in that timeline.

Other than that, different Gundam come with different tones. I'll bold the main aspects so you can skim if you want to.

If you think you'd like a Gundam that feels fun, then go for something that doesn't really focus on war but still has battles, like Mobile Fighter G Gundam. There are other Gundam that focus on Gundam as a sport/game like Gundam Build Divers (that one's pretty recent, so you might want to check out older ones like the Builders series).

If you'd prefer to focus more on the drama and less on the battles, then you might want to try Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket.

If you want to try a Gundam that feels a little more laid-back or has a slower pace (not that nothing serious happens), then perhaps go for Turn A Gundam or Gundam: G no Reconguista.

If you like stories where people... ah this is hard to explain. You'll get this in some form in darn near all Gundam, but if you want a Gundam where people usually seem to make decisions based not on logic but more on emotions, then you might want to check out SEED.

If you want a Gundam series where the themes and outcomes feel a little more dark, then perhaps check out Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt, Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, or-- mn, I guess I'd put Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans here.

But even within the little categories I threw together, so many of those are totally different from each other. Those aren't even all the ways you can divide. I'm just going a little long so I don't want to go too far. I'd make a category where the show is more focused on politics but man I can't even tell you which would be a better example of that from another. Same with Gundam design. I totally don't even keep track of those aspects specifically. Sorry.;;

And actually some of these I wouldn't even consider to be my favorites-- I didn't even mention some of my favorites. I just can't quite put some into a category. Still, it's just all about the general feel you're looking for.

"I can't find much joy from watching its scenes that are not filled with action and Gundams fighting"
I feel like I keep reading this wrong, but are you saying you'd prefer a Gundam with more action and battles? I can't quite remember which ones have more than others, but perhaps another Gundam fan can help with that. I think for Gundam though it's not always about the amount of battles but perhaps more about how the battles are choreographed that make the individual shows entertaining.

I really hope that helps.
If any other Gundam fan wants to use my reply to expand on their recommendations or totally disagree then please go ahead.

Good breakdown. Which one should I watch if I like crazy dysfunctional characters, mental breakdowns and insanity? I already watched 00. Thinking of watching Seed or Iron Blooded Orphans next.
Shoot first, think never.
May 30, 2020 8:16 PM

Oct 2013
Wow! I didn't expect to have that many responses! :) I am very grateful, guys. I want to reply to everyone who wanted to help, so I decided to write two posts instead of one long one.

- - - - - - - - - - -

@deg, yeah, I read about those two universes. Like, UC is the main one and the others are alternative universes that are not connected with UC or with each other, so it depends on me which one I want to pick and every one of them won't be problematic because I haven't seen other shows belonging to AU or I am not familiar with UC.
I heard about Unicorn before. Many people praised it for awesome action scenes and effects.

4evaDC said:
Out of the AU, Gundam Seed is probably the easiest to digest because Kira and Athrun's motives are easy to understand. Problem with Seed is that it came out during the transition period to digital and I'm not a fan of how the colors look in modern TVs.

I think there won't be any problems with colours or not sharp visuals of SEED in my case, especially when this anime is not that old from what I saw. I might try it out one day, but only after soaking more into Gundam universe. Just as @duchessliz87 wrote, I read some comments from people that actually did not recommend SEED, mostly accusing it of being boring, especially compared to other Gundams.

urgrud said:
Plus, I find that the only really interesting character in 00 is Saji (and then maybe Louise). It's sad because I really wanted to like 00 but the main character just doesn't appeal to me.

Whut. I thought that guy with his girlfriend are just regular background characters to show how a side not involved in conflict (civilians in general) sees the global situation. Damn, lol. So does it mean that main characters are even worse in general than I thought? xD

@FinalReality56, I thought it would be good for me as well. Y'know, hypothetical future of our planet, different factions, global policy and that kind of stuff. Sadly, while I still see this concept as something good, I think it was not executed well due to problems such as chaotic driven plot or many characters. I expected there might be many characters, but not THAT MANY and not introduced right away in first episode, increasing even more in the next eps. ;D

@Dunky, the more I read about 00 then yeah, I think it is not a good choice to start with Gundam. I mean, some people might enjoy it a lot, but in my case it is not what I expected, especially after hearing a lot of good things about this franchise. I think I will just start watching UC instead of AU.

AtmosphericEntry said:
It sounds like you need to be warmed up to the idea of a conflict viewed from the lens of multiple different factions. Stay away from Turn A, G no Reconguista, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack for now, if that is the case

I am okay with showing a conflict viewed from the lens of multiple different factions if there are not too many factions to begin with, haha. It is indeed one of those things that bugs me the most in 00, so thanks for the recommendation of positions from Gundam universe to avoid if I don't like this concept. If they are similar to 00 in showing different point of views among all factions, then I should better just resign from watching them.
AdnashMay 30, 2020 8:21 PM
May 30, 2020 8:19 PM

May 2019
Adnash93 said:

urgrud said:

Whut. I thought that guy with his girlfriend are just regular background characters to show how a side not involved in conflict (civilians in general) sees the global situation. Damn, lol. So does it mean that main characters are even worse in general than I thought? xD

They get much more involved in things in the second season
May 30, 2020 8:30 PM

Oct 2013
(second post of my responses)

@Swiggy
Woah, thanks for such a detailed response! I really appreciate it, especially because you described several Gundam series that differ from each other and gave a quick rundown what are their leading themes (or elements significant to the story which are emphasized more in them than in most of Gundams). It will be very helpful for me right now, when I'm in the beginning of watching Gundam, but also in the future if I wanted to watch more Gundam-related animes.

I think I will either drop or put on-hold that 00 series soon if - despite going onward with the story - it will remain to be unentertaining for me. Instead I am planning to check out that first Gundam installment, but not the series, but that movie trilogy. Faster way to catch up and I heard those movies are actually very good and in some way better than actual series because of getting rid of all fillers and showing everything in general in a nicer way than the series.

I also read it really depends on a person if he/she wants to spend more time and watch the whole original series or just movies, and that both ways of starting watching Gundam have their pros and cons. Even if I am not familiar with them, as somebody who likes oldschool animes I must disagree with one thing I saw quite frequently on the Internet, namely that the original series aged in a bad way and is good only for hardcore mecha fans. It doesn't look that bad and liking classics does not have to mean that somebody have to be a hardcore fan of them or a genre in general, lol.

Anyway, in my case I will stick with that movie trilogy and then choose a series from UC.

[quote=Swiggy message=59899358]"I can't find much joy from watching its scenes that are not filled with action and Gundams fighting"
I feel like I keep reading this wrong, but are you saying you'd prefer a Gundam with more action and battles? I can't quite remember which ones have more than others, but perhaps another Gundam fan can help with that. I think for Gundam though it's not always about the amount of battles but perhaps more about how the battles are choreographed that make the individual shows entertaining.[/b]
I meant that while the plot in 00 seems to revolve around different factions, world’s superpowers and policy in general, I just can’t have fun from watching them and I get bored, while I like that kind of stuff in animes. That’s why I wrote that the only thing in 00 that seems entertaining are very well animated action scenes. Characters and the plot do not even look pale compared to them, but they look simply not interesting at all.

@CrocMagnum, thanks for a fine recommendation as well! Yeah, while I enjoy many genres of animes, many types of them, and I’m open for something new, Saint Seiya is a series that entertained me the most and is the dearest one to me, not only because of nostalgia. I’m gonna remember that G Gundam! If it has that kind of elements then it should be fun to watch. :-) I see that @Swiggy also recommended it in his post.

I don’t mind overpowered characters, same as I don’t mind having logical power balance. 00 just lacks, apart from action, many elements crucial for me to not be bored as hell while watching any show, not only animes.

- - - - - - - - - -
Oh, and by the way:
urgrud said:
You should post this on the Gundam forum, not here.

You don't say, lol. On which one? There are a lot of Gundam and I'm asking about recommendation of something in this franchise's vast universe that is over 40 years old. I expressed my expectations on it, so it would be easier to say whether mecha genre in general is for me, or maybe I'm not into Gundam if I find 00 rather hollow, or maybe there are better Gundam-related series that are suitable for my taste.
AdnashMay 30, 2020 8:44 PM
May 31, 2020 1:42 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
@Adnash93
No problem!
You're pretty much doing what I did at the beginning. Aside from watching a little bit of Wing and SEED as a kid, I officially started my Gundam journey with those Gundam trilogy movies as well (followed by the trilogy movies of Zeta Gundam). I did go back to the original Gundam and Zeta Gundam TV series at some point though.

Yes, the compilation trilogy movies are good! The movies are, as one might expect, more rushed. They don't include the little things that make you love the characters, the overall feel of the show, and so on. However, if you're just trying to get the plot and the important events of the show then they're perfect.

Also, nice for going for something in UC after the movies! Just be careful with direct sequels (Zeta, ZZ, Counterattack, Unicorn, etc.)!

Good luck!

==========

@CrocMagnum
Thanks! I can't quite categorize Stardust Memory (or Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team) very well so I didn't end up mentioning it, but I would actually recommend it to first timers too!
I think 08th MS Team kinda eases in the mecha a little more, but OP has been eased in enough with 00, so I just went this totally noncommittal, "choose your own Gundam" post instead of making a first timers post.;;

==========

Haunt-bot said:
Good breakdown. Which one should I watch if I like crazy dysfunctional characters, mental breakdowns and insanity? I already watched 00. Thinking of watching Seed or Iron Blooded Orphans next.
I wish it were a better breakdown, but thank you!

Trauma, emotional instability, etc. is a pretty common aspect in the Gundam franchise in general. The big message of Gundam is that war sucks, so they often utilize the trope to show that war doesn't just destroy physically and relation-wise, but mentally as well.

That being said, almost every Gundam deals with what you're looking for in some way...
Still, I'll throw out some notable ones, but so as not to hijack Adnash93's thread too much I'll post it on your profile!

May 31, 2020 7:09 AM

Feb 2019
You should start with Iron-Blooded Orphans. It's one of my favourite series and i started with that.
May 31, 2020 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
4evaDC said:
AU is the easier because you can pick and choose but UC is more rewarding, IMO.

Fair points. Gundam Seed is a curious beast. It was incredible to watch back in day (2003), many fans liked it. I was quite inexperienced with modern japanese anime and I enjoyed it immensly. Also this is the show that introduced me to the Gundam Franchise.

Kira’s and Athrun's sad story really resonated with me for some reason.

However when you grow older and rewatch the show, you’ll notice there’s a lot "Teen Angst" in Seed, and this might lower your enjoyment.

To rephrase, I feel Gundam Seed is a great show when you’re younger/inexperienced, then it might become a bad watch when you’ve turned into a "sour anime veteran". ^^

The explanation above might explain why Gundam Seed is such a polarizing show: some love it, others loathe it.

Then it’s impossible to talk about Seed without mentioning the memorable Soundtracks. The OSTs of Seed are so great that they stand on their own, that they don’t need the source material (the anime) to be enjoyed. A common trait with the fabulous Saint Seiya OSTs, I might add.

Finally some quick notes about the Gundam Seed HD Remaster:

- The mecha action is visually much better, but they've redrawn the character faces (meh),

- they replaced Ending 2 "River" by another track, probably for legal reasons. Man! This was my favorite Ending,

- the remaster also cuts 2 recap episodes, so the anime in now 48 ep instead of 50 (that one is ok, I guess).
CrocMagnumMay 31, 2020 7:39 AM
"You're too loud, police girl. I don't care if you are a vampire. You're still English; have some manners." (Integra Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate)
May 31, 2020 3:16 PM

May 2010
Adnash93 said:
I read some comments from people that actually did not recommend SEED, mostly accusing it of being boring, especially compared to other Gundams.

That's because, compared to other shows, Seed is simplistic when it comes to the views on war, being in a privileged class, who is privileged and their obligations, the politics of the factions, etc. That's why it's easy to digest.

It's also why it's "boring". Seed is known for its parallels to the original series but without those viewpoints. There's a lot of idealism in it. Of course, someone already pointed out that you might be better off watching the original. That's because the original strikes a balance because of how the adults act.

I still think Seed's a good series for a beginner though. I still love the hype of Seed's first few episodes.

CrocMagnum said:

To rephrase, I feel Gundam Seed is a great show when you’re younger/inexperienced, then it might become a bad watch when you’ve turned into a "sour anime veteran". ^^

The explanation above might explain why Gundam Seed is such a polarizing show: some love it, others loathe it.

By the time they set themselves up as the independent faction, you can tell that Seed is full of it, tbh. I think that's where the polarity comes from - people not recognizing why Seed is different from the others.

However, I think Seed is one of the shows to recommend to people who are new. I find that most people can't get into Gundam predominantly because of the political aspect and Seed is one of those shows that doesn't complicate it.
Jun 1, 2020 7:59 PM

Oct 2013
Okay guys, recently I finished Mobile Suit Gundam Movie I and I must say it was really fun! Way, way better than any of 00's episodes I've seen up until now. :D I'm gonna stick with UC then. I liked the general atmosphere and characters from both sides. What's more, as somebody who likes oldschool animes, I liked that oldschool vibe this movie had as well. :-)

@FinalReality56, hmm... so like, they will appear to be more interesting or just their role will switch from being more personalised background characters to more personalised background characters involved in Celestial Beings and their mission? ;D By the way, I heard the second season of 00 in terms of plot was kinda mediocre.

Swiggy said:

Yes, the compilation trilogy movies are good! The movies are, as one might expect, more rushed. They don't include the little things that make you love the characters, the overall feel of the show, and so on. However, if you're just trying to get the plot and the important events of the show then they're perfect.

Yes, while the first movie was stable at its pacing, there were some moments in which I though "ouch, this scene/scenes could've been more detailed!". I guess they indeed were, but in the original series. :P I might start watching it to be honest. Gundam, at least the old one, is a fine piece of an anime and personally I like its art. Some people from the comments I read before even starting watching Gundam complained about how "old" this anime looks like. I disagree, it doesn't look bad and for me it looks very decent subjectively, simply because I like that kind of artstyle, haha.

Swiggy said:
Also, nice for going for something in UC after the movies! Just be careful with direct sequels (Zeta, ZZ, Counterattack, Unicorn, etc.)!

Aye, once I finish original series I will pick up a sequel and propably will ask the same question as here: which one to choose (no spoilers please)? :P Or rather which sequels I should avoid and why?

@Jenkin, my friend started from it and said it was pretty cool. I already got spoiled how it ended by YouTube recommendation. I hope it won't be a problem in experiencing its plot in general, as if the ending was unexpected or something.

@CrocMagnum , @4evaDC hmm... then I might try out SEED if I have time and will AFTER getting more into UC. I have nothing against animes with quite naive plot or motives of their characters, but I really enjoyed the general atmosphere from the first Mobile Suit Gundam movie. Besides, while in 00 policy was more or less clear, but presented in a chaotic way, I had no problems with political aspects and general setting in Gundam movie and they were presented in far better way than the same things were presented in 00, at least in my opinion.
Although I won't judge SEED, since I haven't seen it, but I might try it out one day.
Jun 1, 2020 9:59 PM

Dec 2007
Glad to hear you're liking the overall aesthetic of the original, it's sometimes hard to recommend older anime on here as you never know how receptive someone is to the art styles of old. It's easily one of the best looking shows from the 70s, great use of color and quite a lot of detail, the blu-ray release looks fantastic. If you're a lover of older anime, which it sounds like you are, then the original series for sure is the best place to start.

The movie version I would only recommend as a sampler into the franchise (as you have done), it's a good way to get your feet wet and test the waters. Not sure if you're an English dub watcher or not, but if you are, then I would like to add that another reason to not watch the movie versions is that the usual voice actors are not present. The TV series on the other hand has some of the finest English voice acting in the business, a real treat if that's of any interest to you.

Yeah..the inevitable question once you finish the first series is the watch order. Once you bring up that question brace yourself for information overload, and some differing opinions. I think I like your question of "which sequels should I avoid and why?", it might be easier to answer in this way. And since you brought it up...The only UC entries I would advise skipping entirely are ZZ and Victory Gundam (it's tough to recommend 50 episode long series if you have to pain your way through them). I will simply say that the average MAL ratings are pretty good representation of the relative quality in the UC timeline.

Only ones I feel are important to watch in any specific order to enhance the experience are Original Series (0079) > Zeta > ZZ (skippable) > Char's Counterattack > Unicorn. This makes up your main storyline, the others entries I feel are fair game at any point and are not as closely related.
Jun 2, 2020 3:04 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Dunky beat me to it but also said darn near everything I was going to say and then some. I definitely agree with him for the most part. As much as ZZ and Victory have an odd spot in my heart, I have to agree with him on those too.

The only thing I would add is that entries not in the order that Dunky gave you might mention or even have characters/bits from previous Gundam briefly. Still, it's not really a big deal. Aside from possible minor confusion, it shouldn't take away from your enjoyment at all. I mostly say this for if you happened to want to watch, let's say Stardust Memories right after the original series instead of Zeta and wonder what Anaheim is or something. Not a huge deal. I should say, Narrative (NT) is able to be watched on its own for the most part but should probably be watched after Unicorn.

Also, 00 feels really different than most of the Gundam franchise except for maybe Wing in my opinion. A lot of people stop at 00 and say that Gundam's not for them or that it is for them only to realize that 00 is more like a Gundam oddity. So I'm really glad that you decided to seek out a different Gundam and that you even had fun with the original trilogy movies! You're a good explorer!

Jun 2, 2020 6:01 AM

Jul 2013
Honestly my favorite Gundam and for me the best out of all I've already watched is Iron Blooded Orphans, contrary to others who say they liked 00 the most. The first I've watched is 00 then SEED next (but if we're counting in the few episodes I barely saw on TV after coming home back in elementary then it's seed). Having watched IBO made me want more so I finished another alternate universal century Turn A and then finally started to watch universal century.

Not really a big fan of UC although I managed to binge UC. I'm not going to spoil anything but
Jun 6, 2020 6:45 PM
Nov 2016
You could probably try watching Gundam SEED as the show has displayed the other side of human nature behind wars and controversial issue like cloning etc. I like the characters' emotions and reasoning. The mecha design and soundtrack were pretty good.

On the other hand, I didn't really enjoy OO, similar to your reasoning. The characters' development were less prevalent and fleshed out. About UC, I don't watch many of them but SEED still tops for me (sorry UC fans xD). On the contrary, IBO has some good fighting scenes in S1 but their world feels restricted and logically questionable
starkfishJun 6, 2020 6:52 PM
Jun 7, 2020 2:31 AM

Mar 2018
Thread moved from Anime & Manga Recommendations.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jun 7, 2020 3:03 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I honestly prefer AU gundam to UC gundam

It was the first gundam anime I watched and I liked it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 3 Discussion

DeathfireD - Oct 22, 2007

47 by Kaydansnk »»
Oct 21, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Serg - Oct 13, 2007

60 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 20, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Serg - Oct 6, 2007

90 by ChangKang6 »»
Oct 20, 2:10 PM

» Do I need to watch anything before this?

frosty_thoughts - Sep 10

7 by TVWithLancelot »»
Sep 16, 12:42 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Likewise - Dec 9, 2007

69 by TheSelleri »»
Sep 2, 4:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.