Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2020 2:55 PM
Jan 2018
I saw that there's a lot of films (and animes) about Koukaku Kidoutai, and I watched only the original Ghost in the Shell. So... I need to watch the previous films?
Apr 2, 2020 3:00 PM

Jun 2015
Stand Alone Complex is one of the best pieces of media to come out of Japan. I highly recommend watching all of it (plus idk if this is a continuation or a reboot of it but I highly doubt it will even come close tbh).
Also, of course, the original and Innocence are great as well.
Can't speak about Arise as I haven't seen much of it yet.
Apr 2, 2020 3:26 PM

Jun 2016
I don't know if they are required to watch the new one but I highly recommend the original SAC and the two movies
ShadowMonkey said:

Can't speak about Arise as I haven't seen much of it yet.

Arise feels like SAC but with worse writing, worse cases, worse character designs and worse tachikoma.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 2, 2020 3:30 PM
Jan 2018
Stand Alone Complex is one of the best pieces of media to come out of Japan.

I will watch it, but not now (I have a lot of stuffs to watch), and I wanna se this new SAC (although this apalling 3D).
Apr 2, 2020 4:03 PM

Jun 2015
Gabriel_Souza_ said:

I will watch it, but not now (I have a lot of stuffs to watch), and I wanna se this new SAC (although this apalling 3D).
Okay, just checked, definitely don't watch 2045 before the original SAC, it's a sequel.
Apr 3, 2020 11:30 AM

Apr 2018
I'm pretty sure you don't have to watch ALL of the GitS anime franchise to understand this new season.
It's clearly part of the Stand Alone Complex "timeline", so all you need to watch is:
-GitS SAC Season 1
-GitS SAC 2nd GIG (Season 2)
-GitS SAC: Solid State Society movie

And that's it. You don't need to watch any of the Arise entries at all. Not only are they kinda mediocre, they're also an entirely different continuity and have nothing to do with SAC or the original movies.
Apr 9, 2020 1:38 AM

Oct 2017
Well, the above posts already explain why you should, but my question is why wouldn't you? It's fairly clear that the new GITS won't hold a candle to the previous series whether in terms of plot or design or what have you, so really, not factoring in time (2 seasons of SAC plus a movie), there's... literally no reason not to watch the previous instalments.

Ditto @ above opinions on Arise. I haven't finished it, but it's not as interesting as SAC and the art isn't as good either. The VAs are different, too, at least the Japanese ones (I never watch GITS in English, as I'm a fan of Major's and Batou's Japanese seiyuu). I will finish it eventually, but I'd honestly rather just rewatch SAC (both seasons).
Devil-FlamingoApr 9, 2020 1:42 AM
Apr 9, 2020 4:05 AM
Jun 2019
So Netflix actually brought back the orginal english dub cast from the SAC series for Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045....https://www.netflix.com/tt/title/81030224
Apr 9, 2020 6:16 AM
Jun 2019
Interview With Ghost In The Shell: SAC_2045 Directors Kenji Kamiyama and Shinji Aramaki – OTAQUEST...https://www.otaquest.com/kenji-kamiyama-shinji-aramaki-ghost-in-the-shell-interview/
Apr 11, 2020 9:20 PM

Feb 2015
Devil-Flamingo said:
Well, the above posts already explain why you should, but my question is why wouldn't you? It's fairly clear that the new GITS won't hold a candle to the previous series whether in terms of plot or design or what have you, so really, not factoring in time (2 seasons of SAC plus a movie), there's... literally no reason not to watch the previous instalments.

Ditto @ above opinions on Arise. I haven't finished it, but it's not as interesting as SAC and the art isn't as good either. The VAs are different, too, at least the Japanese ones (I never watch GITS in English, as I'm a fan of Major's and Batou's Japanese seiyuu). I will finish it eventually, but I'd honestly rather just rewatch SAC (both seasons).

OP just wants to be up do date on anime talk, trends and memes, watching old anime doesn't help with that.
SteelingMaxApr 12, 2020 5:41 PM

Apr 12, 2020 7:20 AM

Oct 2017
SteelingMax said:

OP just wants to be up do date on anime talk, watching old anime doesn't help with that.

I don't know what that means, sorry. Up to date on anime talk? Huh?
Apr 12, 2020 2:59 PM

Feb 2017
Honestly you should drop anything else you are watching or plan to watch and watch the first two seasons of SAC as well as solid state society. I can promise nothing your going to watch holds a candle to it. Like was said above, one of the best pieces of media to ever come out of japan. Unless your a simpleton, then you should probably avoid GITS overall.
Apr 13, 2020 10:36 PM
Jan 2012
Gabriel_Souza_ said:

But why? If you think the 3D is appalling, why prioritize it over the previous seasons, which you really should watch before this comes out?

SteelingMax said:
OP just wants to be up do date on anime talk, trends and memes, watching old anime doesn't help with that.

Would someone that only has 6 posts really just want to be up to date on these kinds of discussions, though? Especially a show like this, that definitely wouldn't get much buzz, I mean even Arise didn't get talked about much and it was a lot less controversial than the CG here.
Apr 13, 2020 11:18 PM

Jun 2016
Yes you need to. And then don't bother with this one
Apr 14, 2020 12:34 AM

Feb 2015
OnionKnightRises said:

SteelingMax said:

Would someone that only has 6 posts really just want to be up to date on these kinds of discussions, though? Especially a show like this, that definitely wouldn't get much buzz, I mean even Arise didn't get talked about much and it was a lot less controversial than the CG here.

Well, i don't know why someone wouldn't watch the loved by many classic GiTS-SAC series for years, then be super interested in a pretty bland trailer for a sequel series, that he wants to skip to it, because it's just not worthy of his time apparently?!

My fist thought is, he doesn't want to watch old anime.

Apr 14, 2020 2:43 AM
Jan 2012
SteelingMax said:
OnionKnightRises said:

Well, i don't know why someone wouldn't watch the loved by many classic GiTS-SAC series for years, then be super interested in a pretty bland trailer for a sequel series, that he wants to skip to it, because it's just not worthy of his time apparently?!

He probably just put it on his PTW list and it became one of those shows that take you years to finally get to. He did say he'll watch them in his second post here, so it seems like he's fine with watching older shows.

Edocchi said:

Why are you judging the new show before it's even out? Just because it looks shoddy doesn't mean the story will be. Let it come out before actually judging the actual show as a whole. If graphics were what defined this series then Arise would be the best in it, which definitely isn't the case. We can bring out the torches and pitchforks if it comes out looking like a PS2 game while also having a shitty plot.
Apr 14, 2020 3:34 AM

Jun 2016
OnionKnightRises said:

Edocchi said:

Why are you judging the new show before it's even out? Just because it looks shoddy doesn't mean the story will be. Let it come out before actually judging the actual show as a whole. If graphics were what defined this series then Arise would be the best in it, which definitely isn't the case. We can bring out the torches and pitchforks if it comes out looking like a PS2 game while also having a shitty plot.
I have the right to judge a show before it's out. The best GitS was just alright for me. I don't care about story. so stfu
Apr 14, 2020 4:09 AM
Jan 2012
Edocchi said:
OnionKnightRises said:

I have the right to judge a show before it's out. The best GitS was just alright for me. I don't care about story. so stfu

Alright then stay mad I guess
Apr 14, 2020 8:23 PM

Feb 2015
OnionKnightRises said:
SteelingMax said:

He probably just put it on his PTW list and it became one of those shows that take you years to finally get to. He did say he'll watch them in his second post here, so it seems like he's fine with watching older shows.

Didn't see his second post, but even so, he's saying that he might watch it later and that he has no time right now, what he really wants is to watch SAC2045 for some undisclosed reason that i can't seem to grasp, but who am i to judge, if he wants he can just watch SAC2045 and never watch the original animated series, that's his prerogative.

We already laid the facts on him that this new anime is a sequel and that it's mandatory to watch the older show first, but he still doesn't want to, because apparently he has "a lot of stuffs to watch", SAC2045 included in that list, close to the top i presume.

Edocchi said:

I agree that it looks really bad, and i am also someone that doesn't hold GiTS as this perfection that some people say it is, i really liked S1 but i had to drop SAC S2 because of how up it's own ass it had become, it was more preoccupied with throwing more jargon and philosophy in your face than actual events happening and moving the story along.

Damn, what's the deal with your scores? Do you even like anime? Honest question.
SteelingMaxApr 14, 2020 8:38 PM

Apr 14, 2020 10:33 PM
Jan 2012
SteelingMax said:
OnionKnightRises said:

Didn't see his second post, but even so, he's saying that he might watch it later and that he has no time right now, what he really wants is to watch SAC2045 for some undisclosed reason that i can't seem to grasp, but who am i to judge, if he wants he can just watch SAC2045 and never watch the original animated series, that's his prerogative.

We already laid the facts on him that this new anime is a sequel and that it's mandatory to watch the older show first, but he still doesn't want to, because apparently he has "a lot of stuffs to watch", SAC2045 included in that list, close to the top i presume.

Yeah it is his prerogative, I'm mostly just wondering out of curiosity. I'm trying to wrap my head around OP wanting to watch the sequel before the original two SAC series when the only thing 2045 has is updated looks, which the OP already said he wasn't a fan of. It'd make sense if OP was aware that the seasons aren't TOO connected with each other, like how you don't actually have to watch the first SAC to understand the second, or if OP really doesn't have the time and thinks 2045 will be weekly and be easier to follow.
Apr 15, 2020 4:52 AM

Mar 2019
SteelingMax said:

Damn, what's the deal with your scores? Do you even like anime? Honest question.

It's called being a troll.
Apr 20, 2020 11:48 PM

Oct 2010
Watch anything gits related, this 2045 stuff will be bad
Apr 22, 2020 9:36 PM
Nov 2017
I'd say watch everything except for "arise".

Start with the 1995 film which to this day is considered a masterpiece my many even in the west, and "innocence" afterwards, but optionally (the second film is really confusing but still good imo)

Then start the SAC seasons. Plus the last entry SAC SSS.

It's a really great franchise although with ups and downs, you still won't regret the time you spent on it.
Apr 23, 2020 12:23 AM

Mar 2016
Yes you do. At least the Stand Alone Complex timeline: SAC > SAC 2nd GIG > SAC SSS > SAC 2045
Apr 23, 2020 1:24 AM

Sep 2007
ITT: anime elitism

Also Arise is fine. I watched it twice. Why tf would you complain about more GITS being made? The hell is wrong with you guys.

@ OP: you don't need to, but it obviously helps, as this is a sequel.
Apr 23, 2020 2:09 AM
Sep 2016
Anime fans whenever something new comes out
"How can I get into this thing without getting into this thing?"

SEASON 1 OF SAC IS RIGHT THERE...if you have time for this you have time for that - it's a way better use of your lifespan than this new one at least
Seasonal anime fans are a problem but I digress
JudoJDApr 23, 2020 2:53 AM
1.1.Six
Apr 23, 2020 10:34 PM
Dec 2010
Arise is its own universe from what I can recall. You should watch all of the SAC because there is backstory for most characters.
Apr 29, 2020 6:12 PM

Apr 2016
vanetz said:

Also Arise is fine. I watched it twice. Why tf would you complain about more GITS being made? The hell is wrong with you guys.

Well that is good info, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Apr 29, 2020 7:02 PM
Dec 2014
Be prepared to be called the biggest moron on the site if you watch this SAC season and not the previous ones.
It's exactly the opposite of what you should do.
Apr 29, 2020 7:04 PM

Apr 2020
vanetz said:

I liked parts of ARISE. 1, 3 and 4 were good, 5 was decent and 2 was really bad
Apr 30, 2020 6:50 AM

Sep 2007
OP said:
vanetz said:

Well that is good info, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Well I actually meant "Original Poster" but you got dragged along into this because you won the username lottery, congratulations. Sorry. Also not sorry because it's partly your fault.
Apr 30, 2020 3:26 PM

Oct 2013
I watched the movies but not SAC, so far doesn't seem necessary. The first movie gives you a basic introduction for all the characters, and that's really all you need to know beforehand.
Apr 30, 2020 3:28 PM

Apr 2020
dc22 said:
I watched the movies but not SAC, so far doesn't seem necessary. The first movie gives you a basic introduction for all the characters, and that's really all you need to know beforehand.

There are very few callbacks to the SAC series so that's fine. The movie is a separate universe though so just keep that in mind.
May 3, 2020 11:33 AM

Jul 2015
Ive just finished the 12 episodes ending with a cliffhanger, yeah...

As a long time fan of the franchise, I definitely say YES to your question. I dont think anyone will come to especially like the 2045 series, the rest will either dislike it or dismiss it with a "meh". I personally think it isnt that bad, but there is just no comparison to the movie and the 2 series from the early and mid 2000s.

It already starts with the horrible char design for the female MC, who looks like a 14 year old barbie doll version of the original design. The chars themsleves feel a bit off compared to the 200x version and there is basically no emotional build up or high lights at all.

Just compare it to the second episode of the first season with the awesome soundtrack of Yoko Kanno and the soulcrushing climax from Steve Conte, when they had the final fight with the tank cyborg. Literally tears back in the days when I watched it. This time I dont think my face even moved a muscle when I watched 2045.

So I just can only recommend to watch the WAY BETTER earlier stuff in order first. If you dont like the old stuff, you wont like 2045 anyway.
May 9, 2020 9:06 PM
Jul 2019
I just watched the original movie, can I watch this? I'will understand?
(Sorry for my english, is not my first language)
May 17, 2020 10:23 AM
Jun 2016
No, if you wish to enjoy SAC_2045 more. Without the previous SAC series as reference, SAC_2045 is a passable show.

Yes, you have to watch Oshii's GITS 1995 movie and the original SAC (1st, 2nd GIG, SSS) if you are genuinely interested in experiencing great art. You can ignore ARISE.

GITS 1995 is a masterpiece of animated storytelling and its technical achievements in animation even surpass that of the original SAC. Mamoru Oshii is one of the greatest filmmakers and an artistic genius; however, he is not a good philosopher. From Angel's Egg to Beautiful Dreamer to Innocence, he dwells on superficial philosophical problems and aestheticizes their ambiguities and contradictions instead of resolving them like a practicing philosopher would. GITS '95 is no exception as it puts undue emphasis on the existential dread of not knowing what it means to be human in the age of full body cybernetization and emergent artificial consciousness. You have Kusanagi "thinkin' about life" longer than what inquisitive children find necessary. Most importantly, there are philosophical assumptions in the show that are simply false and confused, starting with the casual Selfish Gene reference from Dawkins, where the PuppetMaster claims that his existence as a self-preserving program is not unlike biological organisms that are merely vessels for memory preservation. This claim would have Searle snorting in his Chinese room (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room), and modern epigeneticists would chuckle with him. Consciousness is a subject that should be treated with surgically precise philosophical language, not mereological fallacies (equating mind to body) that uncharacteristically come from a show premised on Cartesian duality (separation of body and mind, like a ghost in a shell).

The PuppetMaster wanted to "reproduce" with Kusanagi by merging their minds together, and when Kusanagi asks why when you can just make a copy of yourself, he replies: "A copy is nothing more than a copy. ... And copies do not give rise to variety and originality."

This is where Stand Alone Complex comes in with a big "No." More specifically, with a cute chorus of copy-manufactured tachikomas saying "No!" in their individual voices.

Stand Alone Complex fixes the misconceptions in GITS '95 with the postmodern concept of the Stand Alone Complex (think Baudrillard's Hyperreality in socio-personal form). Its analysis of the self and society in a near-future internet was so thorough that it was able to predict real life internet phenomena (e.g. Anonymous hacking group, with some saying it was the first instance of Stand Alone Complex on the internet). I'll let the show explain itself through story, but please do watch the original Stand Alone Complex if only for the music.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 5 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 24, 2020

11 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:37 PM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

SteelingMax - Apr 23, 2020

57 by abystoma2 »»
Nov 14, 2023 3:42 AM

» This series got way too much hate

Tyrannicswine117 - Feb 21, 2021

26 by SametTakao »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:33 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Apr 24, 2020

59 by Shawn_Shambley »»
Jul 9, 2023 6:38 AM

Poll: » Koukaku Kidoutai: SAC_2045 Episode 11 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 25, 2020

11 by naturalbrawler »»
Jun 3, 2023 11:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.