Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 23, 2016 10:09 PM

Apr 2009
Dammit, Aria. You did it again. This is the perfect supplemental material post-Origination. A true farewell episode that’s very well done.

I really liked that we got more insight into Alicia's transition towards being a representative (?) for the Gondola Association. We also finally see the entire crew reunited (with a Grandma appearance too!).
All is fun until we get to the point where we have to part ways and say our goodbyes. Everything was so fitting. From Alicia's uncertainty about the future to Akari's affirmation of existence from our sad emotions.

The moment in Alicia's memory where she was saying goodbye to everyone had me crying. Even though it was obvious Athena was going to debut in song, she just had to sing her rendition of Alice's canzone (Lumis Eterne). Memories from Origination made it difficult for me to hold back any additional tears.

This episode made me bump up my original score. Avvenire is great for fans with a deep affinity with this series. I didn’t expect much from this OVA, but I’m glad I finished it. Thank you, Junichi Satou. Let's go towards that miraculous future!
Jul 27, 2016 4:51 AM
Nov 2013
This is the very first time we hear Athena's rendition of Lumis Eterne, isn't this?
I don't remember hearing it anywhere else, nor find an album/ OST of it.

On a lighter note ... how the heck ...

LGreyJul 27, 2016 4:57 AM
Jul 27, 2016 8:16 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Alicia sleeping at the table defines Sleeping Beauty". She looked divine in that scene.

I loved what the 3 new single girls did, it really was a miracle since they managed to bring all 3 Primas together and even the older generation.

When it comes to my favorite pair, Akari/Alicia will always be my favorite. Reason being is because Alicia's reason to leaving the company in Akari's hands but also because the patience Alicia had with Akari.

Long hair Athena to me doesn't really fit, mainly because I prefer short hair Athena. Her song at the end was such a perfect way to close the chapter to this amazing series. There really isn't much this show can do without it getting repetitive. Unless they decide to focus on Ai, Azusa and Anya and their daily lives.

Aug 4, 2016 9:06 AM

Dec 2012
And sure enough, the miracle of Aria strikes again. It felt like yesterday that I was first anticipating Avvenire's release and now here I am, a year later, at the end of the journey. That really takes me to the main theme that I took away from Origination - how the passage of time is subtle but substantial.

Really it's those subtle moments that make this so special. When Alice shouts "Gondola passing through!" and smiles at the new singles, I thought about how those are two things that she never would have been able to do at the beginning of Aria. A gathering of the four generations of Undine couldn't have been a more appropriate way to go. I especially loved getting more insight into how Alicia's unexpected encounter with Akari led her to wonderful memories both as a mentor and best friend. I really have to go back to Grandma's quote though:

"The miraculous thing is that a wish you never thought would come true will change its form and sneak up on you. That's something to look forward to."

Just another wonderful theme of optimism and how just because one dream can't be fulfilled doesn't mean that it can't find a different way into your life.

Of course the moment when Athena sang was very captivating and all the more emotional considering her seiyuu has passed away. Singing about the orange sky was very appropriate for her and those flashbacks to how Alice, Aika, and Akari became primas drove it all home.

As the credits rolled, I felt tears swelling up. I didn't want to say goodbye. But I thought back to what Akari said - that sadness and loneliness can be proof of happiness. This transformed my farewell to Aria into one of great joy and I bid it goodbye with a great smile. Truly a miracle.

9.5/10 for Avvenire.
Sep 10, 2016 7:13 PM

Oct 2011
And once again i cried. Beautiful episode.
Thank you Once again Amano Sensei for giving the chance of this last encounter.
And this time is the final goodbye. I am sad that this is finally over but at the same time i am also happy. Just like Akari said "Goodbye is always sad. But it is a nice thing because sadness is also Proof of happiness".
Once again, Goodbye and thank you ARIA, my favorite anime.
Sep 12, 2016 8:27 AM

Mar 2014
I just wanted to see the new generation in action, didn't expect to get hit by the most powerful and emotional moments of Origination again. Had to pause it several times because I couldn't get over the promotion scenes.
This isn't just another OVA, this is the perfect epilogue to a wonderful trilogy. Although I could watch many more episodes of Aria, I'm somehow relieved that the show is over, at its very peak. Goodbye Aria!
Oct 1, 2016 6:14 AM

Nov 2011
Beautiful as the final, narratively he said much, much more than I imagined, it went to touch themes that had not yet explored and will one episode more than good came out. Really deep in the dialogues and tips that have ensued. Besides that has also been enhanced in terms of graphics by a series of really beautiful scenery, I could feel how much poetry. Magnificent conclusion to this series of OVA, I already miss the characters in this anime.

7+1 (ep. 3)/10
Oct 10, 2016 5:40 PM

Aug 2015
So this episode was mostly just the characters reminiscing. Not necessarily bad but I was hoping for more new content. Overall a 7/10 for me.
Oct 14, 2016 12:53 PM

May 2010
What a perfect conclusion... I agree with Aria's philosophy so much it hurts. In-fact Aria might have helped shape it up without me knowing about it. The whole concept of sadness and loneliness was on-spot. loved everyone this episode esp. my bias Aika... All those flashback, memories. The kouhais arranging a party. Memories. Memories. Memories... And a future. I love Aria, it really is one of a kind.

10/10 i just. I love. Thanks for making this, really. I can't appreciate it enough, words can't express my love for it.
TragicRomanceOct 14, 2016 12:56 PM
Nov 14, 2016 5:06 AM
Apr 2016
Beautiful as ever, the only thing that would have put the cherry on the top for me is if at somepoint in the 3 episodes they let us know or hinted at how things are going with Aika & Al and Akari & Akatsuki. I know romance wasn't a huge part of the series, I would just love to see how things are going or are Aika & Akari going to do what Alica and Anna did and not do anything until they retire from being a Undine?
Nov 14, 2016 7:56 AM
Apr 2016
Also I love the way they work in the last meeting with Cait Sith from the manga considering in the Manga
KeiradeadgirlNov 14, 2016 9:59 AM
Dec 3, 2016 7:58 PM
Feb 2015
really loved those 3 specials
Jan 9, 2017 3:47 PM

Feb 2013
A nice party.
Athena looked great in that dress.
Jan 27, 2017 6:14 PM

Aug 2009
Gonna miss this show...it's been a wonderfual amazing experience. Truly thankful for this new ova and thankful for this series. Probably my favorite anime. I'm going to miss this show.
Feb 13, 2017 4:37 PM

Aug 2016
Hello everyone,
Sorry if this is necroposting somehow,

But I wanted to share a poem I've happen to write after watching Avvenire. Please don't take too hard on me - English is not my native language.
This poems takes inspiration from
1) Lewis Carroll's A boat beneath a sunny sky, his famous tribute to Alice Liddell, since Aria is strongly connected with Alice in Wonderland. Note that mine is acrostic too.
2) Avvenire ED Piacere lyrics,
3) Smile Again, Aria The Natural ED lyrics.
It is also a bit, in some very specific way, polemic.

Suggestions on improving the poem, if they happen to be, are humbly and gratefully accepted =).

A boat beneath a quiet sunset sky,
Key to the land, where life and wonders lie,
A form in white, so gently passing by -

Row ever down the golden evening stream,
It's you, the purest one of all the stars to gleam,
My light and guide, midsummer's shining dream.

It's you who taught me hope, and shown me ahead
Spellbound way, eternal holy thread,
Unseen, yet it no farewell can shred -

Not even if we part. An evil wind may blow,
And carry us away, and turn around the flow -
Still we will meet again. No higher hope I know.

However sky may pale, however sun may hide,
I won't leave you. I'm always by your side.

Mar 27, 2017 9:39 AM

Jul 2016
A perfect conclusion for an amazing anime.

To that far away future...
Apr 6, 2017 3:23 PM

Jun 2016
Utter perfection/10. Truly a miracle indeed.
Apr 11, 2017 10:47 PM

Dec 2014
cried like a little bitch and will always cry like a little bitch. 100/10 will cry like a bitch everytime.

Apr 28, 2017 10:22 PM

May 2016
Quality posts on this thread.

Special thanks to Doremi and the fansubbers who did the OVAs, without them then this extra content wouldn't have been as seen by many.

Like others have said, this is truly the perfect epilogue for the series. Avvenire felt like a small reunion and full of nostalgia. When it's time to leave, Avvenire reminds the audience messages to continue carrying on towards a good future. So optimistic, so Aria. Good-bye Aria, towards that miraculous future we go.

10/10

FestivalsOfComfApr 28, 2017 10:26 PM
Jun 10, 2017 10:24 AM

Jun 2013
I wouldn't mind to see this as a full series with new singles. More Aria is always welcomed! And it's a good thing they didn't go overboard with the CGI. Still looked off to me thou but nothing major.
Sep 20, 2017 4:14 PM

Jan 2010
''Now it's time to go towards our futures''

I teared up when the ED started after alicia's speech, it took me by surprise, i wasn't expecting it to be over already... it was 27 minutes but it barely felt like 10 :(

I really hope they will bring the series back with the new girls as main characters. Come on i know it's possible. This anime is out of this world, it's unique ...

Gonna miss them but i keep my faith for new episodes, and gonna keep in mind the beautiful words this episode provided.

5/5 and 10/10, barely the 8th title that gets the perfect score in almost 8 years of watching anime
clannad4everSep 20, 2017 4:17 PM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 16, 2018 7:59 PM

Feb 2016
Wow, I really liked this, precisely being the very reason that most critics disliked Avvenire. The best aspects of the show was Alicia getting a desire to train an undine after seeing her friends do likewise. I've always wondered exactly how Akari managed to get the prestigious job as effective owner of a 'landmark' undine company that any of the street undine could've achieved and for far less training and expenses. This explains it perfectly. As usual, Akari's enthusiasm wins people over. The second aspect was comparing how Akari's own way of running Aria company and as a senior compared to Alicia. Akari is not the type that can be like Alicia and build high deified admiration as a prima. I don't see this happening now or later. Akari, as her name implies, Aquamarine, is much like a warm tender envelopment of inviting waves. A rare friend that you can make an instant connnection with, so much that you let all your stress and fear wash away along the canals of Neo-Venecia.

I guess in the end they thought, of the two options of finding new mysteries on a timeless old bridge that encaptured the heart of Neo-Venicia, or building a spanking new bridge, they decided to go with the former.

If they had the budget, of course the latter had more potential, they didn't, so I agree with their decisions to not mess around with what worked and further explore the theme of continual change with more emphasis on the importance of the past.

In saying that, I don't pretend that there isn't a massive issue of the next generation of Undines being totally ignored and their character quirks became mere fake poor imitations having to make way for further fleshing out 'the second generation' after Grandma. One can't help but see that Ai, Anya and Azusa were forced unto the stage as reassurance of Avvenire.
Cloud_IllusionJan 16, 2018 8:10 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 2, 2019 7:36 AM

May 2011
Each one of these episodes was very touching and emotional. One thing that was a real downer was Athena, though. ._.

No SoL has captured my heart like this one. I didn't expect to cry, but I ended up crying both happy and sad tears.
Jul 22, 2019 9:35 AM

May 2015
Maybe I have missed something, but it has never turned out what was the request the Gondola Association made of Alicia that was for the sake of the Undines in the future and similarly we never got to know what part of the Prima system they referred to that Alicia worked so hard to change. It seemed something important.
IshitatesoJul 22, 2019 8:25 PM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Mar 12, 2020 10:42 PM

Jul 2016
Um... Athena singing song, that was singed by Alice on exam? D:
May 9, 2020 3:46 PM

Apr 2008
>he's waiting for you, isn't he?

Disgusting, dropped
Jun 17, 2020 7:00 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
That was indeed some deep thought. Still, a relaxing moment, using that all kind of flashback. Its suit well to the whole story. Yet, a maginificent direction for the whole storyline. Thanks for that little miracle. I hope, we can meet again in the next miracle. Although the path taken was indeed different, there is always a path that leads to one meeting. No matter what. Its a certain. Always. There must be. And that is clearly a miracle. The great miracle of Aqua.

Thats it, then. Every girls were indeed a beautiful angel. From the young one, until the mature one, and end with Grandma charming beauty. Such a beautiful show, really deserved an angelic girls, right? Aria the series really met that criteria. And ofc, can be listed as my masterpiece. Yet, its same with these OVA. Such an unfortunate, i don't quite chilling the first season, a big regret i've seen. However, like a magic, like a miracle, suddenly i became so attached with this serialization. Like Akira-san said, its weird, eh? Nope. Like Ai-cwhan said, its a miracle of Aqua!

Thats all 10/10 for OVA.
Around 9/10 to overall serialization of the Aria series until now.
Okay, its time for me to move on again!
badabassJun 17, 2020 7:12 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Sep 18, 2020 9:53 PM

Aug 2019
fuck man I can’t believe it’s over, well at least that new movie is coming out.
Jan 9, 2021 3:51 PM

May 2010
Based the score being sub-8 and the top review being a 6, I was very pleasantly surprised by this OVA! I have to say I disagree with that review, these 3 episodes perfectly captured the magic of the original series. It was a beautiful combination of the pasts and futures of our lovely Undines. And don’t get me started on the production values. Neo Venezia has never looked so stunningly gorgeous.

I’m happy to know that the new movie is only months away! I picked the right time to get into this series.
Mar 10, 2021 2:32 AM

May 2017
Definitely an emotional moment hearing Athena's voice at the end. Kawakami Tomoko's one of if not my absolute favourite female voice actor and I know she was highly respected in the industry. With how sparingly she was used in this OVA despite being very much present it almost felt like the ending was an ode of sorts to Kawakami Tomoko. As a big fan of her works I feel a deep amount of respect for the creators of this OVA in choosing to not replace her and utilise her character the way they did here. Moving forward of course getting someone new for more projects (They did in Crepuscolo) is expected but as a first time return I have nothing but respect for the decision.
May 25, 2021 2:38 AM
Oct 2019
Can’t believe it’s over. In a perfect world, we’d have another three seasons following Ai, Azusa and Anya. This was the most attached I’ve been to a show. Everything about it just calms my very soul and it’s so bittersweet to finally reach the end.
Mar 18, 2022 5:00 AM

Jan 2020
All I can say is RIP TYO Animations/Hal Film Maker.
May 4, 2022 9:07 PM

Mar 2018
I loved the thread throughout the episode relating to Akari’s recruitment, I just love seeing her in all of her glory. Plus, viewing it all from Alicia’s POV makes it so much more emotional.

I really loved this OVA, and what’s not to love, it’s simply the ARIA magic. Despite what they said about the city of Neo-Venencia always changing, the comfort that this story brings has consistently been the same.
Aug 23, 2022 8:42 PM
Apr 2020
5:42. Did Alicia make that rule or was that already a thing in the anime?
The rule is:
Singles can take passengers if a prima is overseeing it.

I onlg know that Singles can take friends.
May 30, 2023 3:17 PM

May 2021
Didn’t expect the ova’s to be this good
Alicia’s memories really got me emotional
Karva1May 30, 2023 3:43 PM
Inhales oxygen
Jun 25, 2023 3:00 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Coming off as a continuation from that really nice and concise ending to Origination, the special had put itself in a hard position. Do you follow the tradition of 3 kouhais practising and reminise about the past? And while the special does basically that, the way in which it does is notable.

From having the 3 opening sequence songs as an omage to the series, each episode brings to the table a different topic while it successfully gives Ai much more deserved screentime and personality traits. Once she encounters with the other 2, who funnily enough also have a name that starts with an "A", they interact, make embarrassing remarks and even have their own chibi faces, what a detail.

The joy then comes from the little gaps the show is able to fill up, such as how did Alicia come to the decision of leaving the company or recruting Akari, how was the last encounter with Cat Sith and the simmilarities between the meetings of the 3 generations. I know that this series truly isn't for everybody as it portrays fantastical scenarios of joy and healing that sound too good to be true. Nonetheless, in my case at least that is well balanced out by what life itself presents and here comes an anime that tries to look at the bright side in a soft and pristine way that very few others do.

As such, this was a joy to watch.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Aug 25, 2023 8:01 AM

Dec 2020
It's like saying good bye all over again!
Surprise cameo of the three from the giant gondola bus episode.

Also not sure how long time has passed but literally everyone's hair grew out. But Athena's hair grew out on a whole different level lol

Amazing ovas.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aria The Avvenire Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Oct 3, 2015

71 by Muow »»
Aug 24, 2023 5:55 AM

Poll: » Aria The Avvenire Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Sep 25, 2015

109 by Muow »»
Aug 22, 2023 6:51 AM

» Picture Drama

BernieSorbet - Apr 11, 2016

6 by TyrantRC »»
Jan 2, 2023 8:16 AM

» Character Designs [UPDATED 6/13]

-Karoshi- - Apr 5, 2015

14 by ernietheracefan »»
Sep 13, 2015 4:04 PM

» Key Visual

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2015

29 by ernietheracefan »»
Sep 13, 2015 4:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.