Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 15, 2019 9:18 AM

Jan 2018
I have watched the Koukaku Kidoutai (1995) so now i plan to start Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, after watching that should i go with Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG or are the OVA-s also important for the story?
Oh, and what are the Arise series, do i need to waatch them as well?
Nov 18, 2019 12:17 AM
Jan 2017
After you finish off with the 1st GIG , continue with 2nd GIG and then finish off the Stand Alone Complex route with Solid State Society. SAC_2045 is going to be a sequel to that one.

As for Arise, they are completely different route and isn't interlinked to the SAC route in any way and thus can be watched independently with it's own order i.e. Border 1 -> Border 2 -> Border 3 -> Border 4. I completely hated it in it's presentation in both aesthetic and narrative and I don't think it does justice to the world so in my opinion , it's skippable but if you still wanna give it a shot , you can do so after finishing the SAC route.
Jul 7, 2020 7:44 AM

Apr 2020
Aight here we go buckaroo.

So Ghost in the Shell has several timelines with absolutely 0 crossover between them. Each is a self contained universe and these universes can be watched in any order. The timelines are;

GitS (manga) > 1.5 > 2

GitS (movie) > 2: Innocence

Stand Alone Complex > 2nd GiG > Solid State Society > 2045

ARISE border 1 > border 2 > border 3 > border 4 > border 5 ~ ARISE Alternative Architecture* > The New Movie

GitS (live action) > garbage can

ARISE has some frickery where the 5th border was never localized but it's actually hella relevant so the best way to watch this legally is through ARISE Alternative Architecture (AAA) which is the OVA borders all split in 2 and arranged "better" for TV airing. Unfortunately the only good thing about AAA is the new music and being able to legally watch the 5th border (eps 9 and 10). I don't recommend watching the whole series instead of the borders as the 4th border became the first 2 eps for some reason. It's very messy and not a good way to watch.

My order would be 1995 movie > SAC > ARISE with optionals being Innocence (it's very different and Oshii which... if you like that, go for it) and the manga which has a very different tone to any of the shows.

Avoid the live action like the plague. It's terrible. And don't watch 2.0 which is a bad rerelease of the 95 movie.

PS: there are also a few video games! The PS1 game is really fun and has a completely original (albeit simple) story. It's a good play if you're keen and has great cutscenes and music. I haven't played the PS2 SAC game but I have played the PSP game and it's... Messy. I don't recommend this bad boy.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

158 by Magicmist »»
Sep 23, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

89 by Magicmist »»
Sep 22, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

114 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

51 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

78 by Magicmist »»
Sep 19, 12:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.