Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2009 7:47 AM

Apr 2009
I am going to compensate for the lack of club activity by asking a basic question.

Anyway I'll start.

First of all Yang Wenli is awesome because he is one of the smartest if not the smartest people in anime when it comes to the battlefield. His strategies and tactics are well thought out and don't require ridiculous Deus Ex Machina unlike some other characters.
coughLedouchecough

Secondly, he is incredibly wise when it comes to history and his political beliefs. Because I am also interested in history I would find his talk on historical matters interesting.

Thirdly, Yang is an incredibly likeable character. Although I cannot determine why he is so likeable Yang has that charm that makes you like him for lack of a better term.

Finally, Code Gayass didn't make a crappy caricature version out of him. They made a Reinhard caricature, (Ledouche) a Kircheis caricature, (Suzaku) and even a damn OBERSTEIN caricature (C.C or Diethard). But Sunrise/CLAMP wasn't able to make a Yang ripoff.

Gale_WolfSep 3, 2009 8:13 AM
My vision is augmented.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 5, 2009 5:02 AM

Feb 2005
He's bloody hot too.

No homo.
Sep 5, 2009 11:09 AM

May 2008
I'll add that he is incredibly easy to relate to, especially for those of us who follow the, uh, "principles" of Dudeism. Of course the characters in LoGH in-general tend to have this trait since I doubt many people can actually relate to your typical overly energetic anime character.

And did I ever comment on how tr00 kvlt nekro and lacking the physical dimensions to be thrice-buried your signature and avatar are Baman? Because yeah, they're awesome.
Sep 22, 2009 1:17 PM

Apr 2009
For starters I'm more of a Reinhard fan, but like mein Kaiser I respect Yang a great deal too, afterall there are many reasons to do so, his integrity per se... everything Yang believed in was made into a mockery by the likes of Truniht et co but still he never abandoned his ideals, even when the world around him was rapidly collapsing he held his ground. Then again its that whole foppery and whim deal, his approachibility and relaxed way of living, he may have been a tactical genius and one of the two poles of the galaxy, but he still seemed like an everyman in every other respect and that on its own is quite remarkable.
Sep 22, 2009 1:32 PM

Sep 2007
Good taste in alcohol and women.
Sep 24, 2009 8:39 PM

Apr 2009
I COULD go on forever as to why I think Yang is great, but if you've seen Galactic Heroes, then you know all those reasons already. So Ill just make it short and sweet and say that he's fucking awesome.

Feb 2, 2010 2:49 AM

Jan 2010
because he relates to my laidback ways
Score Criteria:
May 20, 2010 2:12 AM

May 2009
the correct question is.......why not like him?

...rNr...
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Jun 4, 2010 12:47 PM

Aug 2008
Let's see:

Smart, humble, nice, laid-back, makes me smile when he looks pissed off, has a nice family of very likeable people, and I find his gentle and unassuming ways to be kind of sexy, speaking from my female pov, so familiarity points go, as well, which makes it easy to look up to him for his positive traits.
Jul 29, 2010 2:34 PM
Jun 2010
Because he's the reason I'm watching LOTGH.

Mar 31, 2011 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
Probably the greatest reluctant hero. Great counterpart to Reinhard. The only man who could take Iserlohn, and never lost a "fair" fight (Episode 82 wasn't fair...) Tea & Brandy. Understood the importance of history, great tactician. Modest & unassuming. Just all aroud awesome.
Nov 7, 2012 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
I hate ambitious humans. Or at least too ambitious.

I prefer the type who is either lax or has no care about that at all and would want to live a simple life.

Despite his plainness, he could shut you up with the perfect rebuttals.
Jan 5, 2014 12:25 AM
Oct 2011
<3

I love his genuine gentleness, wise words, kindness, simplicity, honesty, and misakes. Yang despite the constant barrage of hate and conspiracies against him still remained the same. He is a pacifist who just wants a peaceful life, safety and equality for everybody (and of course his paycheck too).

"In short, my hope is, haughtily enough, for a few decades of peace in the future."
Jun 26, 2015 4:30 PM

Oct 2010
He's very lifelike. We see a humble, smart, pacifist, laid-back guy, very opinionated on politics and how it should ideally work, but we see all of those characteristics crashing with what he has to do. He has to take command over troops and stop being as humble because he's the most competent person and he's left with a choice to take command or watch chaos unfold. He's forced to join the military and kill and the amount of guilt he consistently feels at every point throughout the anime makes him very relatable. He even starts abusing alcohol more and more in order to cope with it.

Basically, we see the world trying to crush him and essentially failing, as opposed to Reinhard, who's shaped by the world around him and its needs. Basically, Yang sees an idea of perfection and strives towards it, although he knows he'll never reach it, while Reinhard shapes his idea of perfection to accommodate to the world he lives in. Logical choice is probably to like Reinhard, who fights his way to the ideals he holds, but as a person who, much like Yang, believes there's no perfection in practice and we can only constantly strive for something close to perfection, I relate to him and his fight much more. Even more so for the fact that he has to go out of his way and ignore some values he holds or hopes he has in order to uphold values of democracy.
Aug 2, 2016 11:45 PM

Oct 2015
In my opinion there's nothing in this world that is both great and good. There was a time in my childhood when I wanted to accomplish something great, but not anymore. Now I just want to do something good even if it's something small or ordinary. That's why I relate so much to easy-going characters with simple wishes.
Also, no one mentioned in this discussion yet, he doesn't lack a healthy measure of bravery. He's calm and good at controlling his emotions. A good example of how being a pacifist does not mean being a coward.
Omnia munda mundis
Mar 6, 2017 7:40 PM
Sep 2009
I find his views about history and politics, very refreshing.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favorite Quotes from Yang?

Confucius - Jan 26, 2011

5 by removed-user »»
Apr 30, 2018 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.