Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2016 5:00 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Aww that was cute. I guess Yuzu really wants to play her role as a woman even as someone her age right now and understand what love is.
Mar 12, 2016 4:26 PM

Jul 2010
That makes my heart flutter.
Jun 29, 2019 4:37 AM

Apr 2013
The premise of the story is really creepy and it's even more obvious when we see her in a car with that old man. I get how it's meant for her to be cute but it feels irresponsible on the part of his father
Jun 30, 2019 2:32 AM

Mar 2018
Robinne said:
The premise of the story is really creepy and it's even more obvious when we see her in a car with that old man. I get how it's meant for her to be cute but it feels irresponsible on the part of his father

You mean Tamahiko's father? Isn't it obvious that he is evil?
Jun 30, 2019 2:50 AM

Apr 2013
SpectrumDT said:
Robinne said:

It is, but it still kinda frames him as a "good guy" for buying him a new wife to take care of him, and the story tries a lot to hide how buying a slave is wrong by just having some romance bs and the girl not feeling scared in any way and just accepting everything just because. You just have to see how she immediately gets happy there because " he's sincere and kind" when she doesn't know him at all. I think it would be in its favor to try and be a bit more realistic by having a time of adaptation.
RobinneJun 30, 2019 2:54 AM
Jun 30, 2019 3:13 AM

Mar 2018
Robinne said:
SpectrumDT said:

It is, but it still kinda frames him as a "good guy" for buying him a new wife to take care of him

I disagree with this. While Old Man Shima could be worse, IMO the story makes it very clear that he is evil.

Robinne said:
and the story tries a lot to hide how buying a slave is wrong by just having some romance bs and the girl not feeling scared in any way and just accepting everything just because. You just have to see how she immediately gets happy there because " he's sincere and kind" when she doesn't know him at all. I think it would be in its favor to try and be a bit more realistic by having a time of adaptation.

While I love Yuzuki with all my heart, I do agree that her unconditional submissiveness is misguided and disturbing.

That said, the story takes place in an oppressive patriarchal setting. That's just how the setting is (and this still happens in some parts of the world). I don't think it's the story's responsibility to preach to the reader: "See how wrong this is? This is bad! Don't do this at home!" Not every story needs to be moralizing. I think most readers are smart enough to figure out that forced marriage and slavery are problematic; we don't need to have it spoonfed to us.

(On another note, I am not sure what the author's stance is. It is possible that she sees this kind of forced marriage as perfectly OK. It is clear from her oeuvre that she is no feminist but subscribes to a very conservative set of gender roles.)
Jan 11, 2021 9:29 AM

Nov 2013
Oh, so she's 14? I legit thought she was 10 or younger. Still rather disturbing...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Chapter 38 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2018

24 by Redcher »»
Dec 13, 2023 7:29 PM

» Why are there 42 chapters listed?

Zeryphalix - Jan 22, 2021

10 by BXC »»
Sep 5, 2022 6:24 PM

» Apparently there is a sequel: Shouwa Otome Otogibanashi

SpectrumDT - Sep 26, 2018

14 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Jan 10, 2022 8:44 AM

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Chapter 36 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 1, 2018

7 by TheSteelSamurai »»
Nov 22, 2021 6:10 PM

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Chapter 32 Discussion

tr25a3 - May 29, 2019

3 by Amelia-tan »»
Oct 10, 2021 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.