Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2017 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Haha, Ririko really knows how to tease and scare the girls.

The episode was alright. I like toe focus of Ririko more this episode. (I wish they gave more singing time when wearing that mask) Personally, I think her growth as a character has been one of the most realistic I've seen in this show so far.
Aug 9, 2017 9:19 AM

Apr 2010
Makie and her father have a strange relationship partly because their stubborn and partly because Makie doesn't know what she wants to do with her life.
Which her father seems to be having trouble with tho you can't force such things on someone.
Life doesn't always go as you plan it and making decisions can be hard especially if it's about the future and you don't know what you want to do.
Aug 9, 2017 10:37 AM

Jan 2015
Nice idea, Sanae. Maki really need to visit her parents get some "fresh air" considering how she act lately upon the Manoyaman seniors. :(
And she arrived at the prefect timing, for her mother's birthday. Some quarrel happened, but yeah... Shouldn't forgot who's the "star" for the celebration. :)
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Aug 9, 2017 10:45 AM

Jun 2013
Great as always!
Hope her audition goes well!
Aug 9, 2017 10:57 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Could we see Maki leaving to finally pursue what she loves? Certainly a possibility now after this oppurtunity she was given.

The banter between her and dad is hilarious xD
Aug 9, 2017 11:00 AM

Apr 2016
Maki's household looks like fun.
Aug 9, 2017 11:26 AM

Dec 2012
Maki dad is funny.

That was hilariousXD
Aug 9, 2017 11:53 AM

Jun 2015
It's nice to hear Ririko singing. Maki's father's introduction was funny. Her bickering with him was amusing. Her application was accepted, but she wasn't sure if she should go. She decided to go after all.
Aug 9, 2017 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
Most usefull gate in history
Aug 9, 2017 12:23 PM

Aug 2013
So this episode is focusing on Maki now.

Maki has a strange and close relationship with her father. They are both pretty stubborn. Like father like daughter, right. Her father's entrance while singing was amusing.

Yoshino and Sanae talking to Maki and giving her courage was nice to watch. Can't wait to see her audition and succeed.

As for the preview: Holy shit!! Sandel-san! Santa stop visit your home 'cause you killed him. Boric acid powder!? Really!?

Aug 9, 2017 1:06 PM

Sep 2013
Coming up with ways to use the old schools and they find the drum treasure.
Maki clashing with her father and she goes to the audition after her yoshino talks to her.
Aug 9, 2017 2:12 PM

Feb 2014
Adibash said:

I was hoping someone would also notice that as well. What a pointless gate indeed. -__-

It's good that the girls were able to find the drum easily with the help from Maki's father, but to get it repaired will cost a sizeable chunk of money. With all the plans they have with the school, hopefully they'll have the funds to repair the drum.

Maki and her father clash a lot, but they do worry and care for each other though. Thanks to Yoshino's passionate speech, Maki's made up her mind to go to the audition instead of skipping it. If she did skip it, her acting friend would be rightly disappointed in her, so with Maki on her way to Tokyo, at least she'll get a clearer goal as to what she truly wants to do career-wise.

Hopefully, Maki will do well in the audition next week. =)
Aug 9, 2017 2:37 PM

Nov 2016
Episodes revolving around Maki are my favorites.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 9, 2017 3:48 PM
Mar 2016
Meta_Yoshi said:
Adibash said:

I was hoping someone would also notice that as well. What a pointless gate indeed. -__-

lets Positive think, maybe they has some movable gate for Car :D

hope score for this series up
at least until 7.5
they deserve for it
Aug 9, 2017 5:44 PM

Dec 2016
I'm looking forward to the festival whenever it happens.

I do like listening to Ririko sing.

I like how Maki listened to everyone and boarded that train, I hope it goes well for her.
Aug 9, 2017 5:46 PM

Jan 2016
I like the comedy in this episode. Since when Shiori become so good at retort XD
The scene where Ririko sing with mask should be longer~
Aug 9, 2017 7:37 PM

Dec 2014
Nice episode.

Really liked all the constant bickering between Maki g and her Dad. On the surface it seems like they're going at each other meaninglessly but there's a really nice subtext involved in it.

Loved the part where Maki's dad told her to pursue what she loves and that it didn't matter if she could make a living out of her passion or not.
Trying and failing is better than avoiding and regretting. :)

Hearing Ririko sing again was great but I loved Maki humming the tune of the song as well.

Good luck to Maki in this audition.
Aug 9, 2017 8:59 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Seeing Maki interact with her family was nice but I'm glad that she got another shot at acting and went for it.....I hope that she gets the role but that means that she's probably gonna leave :(

Also I died when her family ate Oden out of all things for dinner xDDD
Aug 9, 2017 9:19 PM

Jun 2015
One of the better episodes of the show focused on best girl of the show, Maki. It's always at its best when it focused on interpersonal relationships more than the revival shtick, especially when it's dealing with some really down-to-earth issues like Maki is facing right now. Anyone that has grown up and moved out of their parents knows of her issues all-to-well and the reality that hits you when you realize chasing your childhood dreams isn't all it's shaped up to be. I really appreciate the handling of it by the show and how closely I can relate it to my own life even.

Great stuff. It isn't another Shirobako for me, but this ep really reinforces my 9/10 for it. Such a great, reflective show for Wednesdays.
Aug 10, 2017 3:40 AM

Dec 2014
This show has been so forgettable. Nothing stands out and I can only vaguely even remember the things that have happened. I stuck with it since I thought I'd start enjoying it more but that hasn't happened. At this point I'm only watching it because it's almost over. After it's done airing I doubt I'll even remember having seen it.
Aug 10, 2017 6:43 AM

Mar 2013
Great episode.

I like how Maki's getting more screen time here. Her moments with the dad was fun to watch. I hope her story has some sort of closure by the end of anime.

And looks like every girl is getting spotlight once again. Although, only for one episode this time. Last episode, it was Sanae and now Maki.

I've always thought chief Kodata was cool. His conversation with Yoshino at the lake was nice a segment.
Aug 10, 2017 6:45 AM

Mar 2013
Rorek said:
Maki dad is funny.

That was hilariousXD

Ikr? XD

Adibash said:

Also this. lmao
Aug 10, 2017 12:42 PM

Jan 2016
Man what a great show this has become
Aug 10, 2017 9:31 PM
Nov 2016
Makie's arc this episode reminded me of that episode with long haired girl that goes home in gi(a)rlish nuber, the dad daughter relationship feels very similar. Was constantly thinking of it during the episode.
Aug 11, 2017 4:40 AM

Jul 2016
bdsbff said:
This show has been so forgettable. Nothing stands out and I can only vaguely even remember the things that have happened. I stuck with it since I thought I'd start enjoying it more but that hasn't happened. At this point I'm only watching it because it's almost over. After it's done airing I doubt I'll even remember having seen it.

same for me kind off. Its just one of this shows, that does nothing blantantly wrong, but there is nothing really special in it. typical 6-7/10 for me so far.
Aug 11, 2017 3:43 PM

May 2015
And so the "quest" continues, but the episode focused further on Maki and her father's relationship, and what she wants to do.

That was a great episode altogether.

Also, once again, Sandal-san moments are always great.

Aug 12, 2017 5:17 AM
Mar 2012
nice Maki focus.
Santa appears in that Vatican show too lol.
Riri should sing more.
Oden family issues quite funny but seems a good dad.
Yoshino rowing a boat just seems funny.
Aug 13, 2017 1:05 AM

Jul 2016
This is absolutely right up there with the best slice of life anime there is. Everyone has their own personal struggle alongside their job. Makes you relate.
Aug 13, 2017 2:15 PM

Feb 2008
Blood-soaked Santa...

Maki's interactions with her father were intriguing. His words even gave her an incentive to have another go at acting. Nevertheless, Maki's father is a humorous character in his own right.

Oden.
Aug 17, 2017 9:11 AM

Sep 2015
There were a lot of things I really enjoyed in this episode. I liked Maki's arc overall. Her conversation about how she used to smile all the time with her Dad was really strong. One of the most poignant scenes we've seen in the show. And the dinner scene was interesting and revealing about her family situation too. I liked Alexander's puppet show. I liked the moe as hell haunted house scene in the beginning. And I really liked Kadota's redemption arc. He's grown on me a lot as a character. His repentance and little conversation in the boat with Yoshino were both really sweet.

So the one thing I think really hurt this episode? Was just how rushed the ending was. That may sound silly. Since this has been Maki's arc since Episode 1 so very long ago. And it's been a slow boil for sure. Maybe more than any other character's arc. But despite all the focus it got this episode. Despite the breakthrough she had with her Dad. Maki seemed to go from tired and unsure of herself. To just ready to go almost instantaneously. Maybe it was really her friends encouragement worked that fast. But Yoshino and Sanae's pep talk worked a little too quick for me. Still a fine episode though. Looking forward as always to the next one.
Sep 1, 2017 5:23 AM

Jun 2016
Oh, Riri, you dork you. Hahaha.

Yoshino called Maki's dad a gorilla made me lost it. Hahahaha! At least, he helped them find the 2nd treasure. :p

Kadota-san, though. Hahahahaha!

That scene with Maki-chan's family was hilarious. Her dad's pretty sweet and funny at the same time. Haha! I can't with this family. And I hope Maki-chan pluck up the courage now and chase her dreams.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 1, 2017 12:48 PM

Aug 2016
Hahaha, great episode! JINGLE BELLS JINGLE BELLS JINGLE BELLS
Nanika ga Okashii
Sep 9, 2017 3:38 AM

Oct 2015
This show is certainly better binge-watched than watching weekly. I found myself enjoying the show more watching it in one sitting!
Sep 17, 2017 5:43 AM

Jul 2009
I am glad she will do the test...
Sep 23, 2017 8:01 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I really liked this Maki episode, so nice to see her get some focus.
That family reunion was pretty hilarious.
Well it's not like her father was mad. The way I saw things he just wants her to smile again.

Oct 8, 2017 11:18 PM

Jul 2014
Jingle bells! Jingle bells! Jingle bells! xD
Nov 2, 2017 10:04 AM

May 2012
Quite the interesting development! Let's see what's next.
Nov 9, 2017 12:11 PM

Oct 2012
The part with old school house was boring but the part dedicated to Maki and her father was good. Let's hope she'll be accepted in the audition.

And wonder how they fix the drum then.
Nov 23, 2017 8:07 AM

Apr 2011
Another development for Maki. Maybe its time for father and daughter to fix their relationship.
Dec 18, 2017 4:29 PM

Nov 2013
I'm so glad Maki didn't give up on her dream. She must try again. Even if that means her leaving Manoyama forever. She just must try.
Dec 29, 2017 12:41 AM

Aug 2012
-sanae you are spoiling the spooky story mood
-kinda surprised they didn't go for another wild goose hunt for the big-ass drum
-whoa that's like a thousand bucks for repairs
-i can see where the name of the show comes from now
-brown-haired dude is just as capricious as kokichi
-as it turns out, the sakura quest is the journey to find out the true meaning of christmas the matsuri festival
-big wig kadota did nothing wrong
-uh oh seems like kosuke tryna stir shit up
-i would not be opposed to ririko's VA singing more, and apparently she's voicing some love live cinderella girl or somethin
-wan wan, wan wan, ruff ruff ruff, bow wow, awoooooooo, meow
-sandal is a treasure
-as expected, maki's dad just wants her to be happy
-surprisingly the whole audition thing didn't take as much time to reach a resolution as i thought it would

So this episode is considerably more standard than the other episodes in recent memory, and it's probably just because the method of acquiring the festival staff was so much flashier compared to the acquisition of the drum. Also the entire subplot that dealt with the relationship between Maki and her father felt like the most standard thing this show has done so far. As a whole this episode just felt a lot less notable than even the initial character arcs at the beginning of the show, which all at least had one sort of unconventional element to them. Perhaps the fact that there was no conventional subversion in this episode is itself the subversion that the writers were going for, but who knows. However, in spite of all the plot standardness, this episode did have the usual smattering of legitimately entertaining gags in the form of Alexandre (who somehow manages to always do something relevant to the current conundrum facing the tourism board) and Erika, as always. The show's been pretty consistent in that department, at least. The scenes at the end of the episode was also something I liked about the episode since it emphasized the notion of Yoshino sort of being a secondary main character that acts as the support for the other mains.
Jan 7, 2018 5:07 AM

Sep 2012
SweetKiichigo said:
I really liked this Maki episode, so nice to see her get some focus.
That family reunion was pretty hilarious.
Well it's not like her father was mad. The way I saw things he just wants her to smile again.

yea like when dad came home singing Seeing her there i was like aaawkward lol
Dec 7, 2020 6:24 AM

Aug 2018
So no one talks about how Shiori is very supportive to everyone like even the jokes she getting along with it lmao
Great ep about Maki i like the conflicts in this anime were pretty realistic.
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Dec 18, 2020 9:09 AM

May 2016
My favorite girl finally moves towards her dream, I couldn't ask for more.

FMmatron said:
Episodes revolving around Maki are my favorites.
Top Tier Waifu material.
Mar 28, 2021 2:17 PM

Feb 2020
Like father, like daughter.

Maki made a right choice after all. I hope her audition goes well.

SerafosMar 2, 6:39 AM
Dec 2, 2023 4:43 AM

Oct 2022
The first scene is just too good, Yoshino getting freaked out, Sanae dismissing the rumours but got freaked out herself, Shiori singing Jingle Bells, hoping that it would scare the Santa away, and finally Maki with the 'its my dad' twist. The banter between Pres and Chitose is always entertaining. The part where Pres admits that he feels guilty for cancelling the festival, and then tried to revive it in different ways is nice to see.

"Thanks to you, I've got no choice but to face it. You're really are a handful." very wholesome indeed.
Apr 30, 1:34 PM

Jun 2017
Good Maki developments!
She's such a vibe!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2017

65 by Leftu »»
Oct 2, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2017

184 by EsieEyen »»
Jul 19, 3:32 AM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

55 by Rahul_101 »»
Apr 30, 9:20 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2017

85 by wildhood »»
Apr 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Sakura Quest Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2017

55 by Rahul_101 »»
Apr 30, 1:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.