Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2009 7:13 PM

Sep 2007
I've read many posts on various message boards about this OVA calling Kenji a spoiled brat, angsty teen and what not. But I think Kenji had every right to resent Kenshin's continued absences and neglect of his family.

I think people who call Kenji a brat need to put themselves in his place. How would we feel if our fathers were never around and only made our mothers miserable if they returned every now and then?

I know I wouldn't be inclined to call someone like that "father".
Jun 20, 2013 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
18 voters and just 2 comments? sad :(. Anyways I choose option 3, there's no way for someone who fell in love with this anime to just say option 1. Everyone has Kenshin somewhere in his heart, they wont let someone to just dishonor him. But on the other part this someone is Kenji, Kenshin's son. You will never see your own father the way others see him.

I think it ended well in the end. I hope that no one will disturb Kenji by making an anime around him being in fights all the time, though if it's something like GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) I'm here to watch it :).
Jan 18, 2014 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
He had the right to resent his father because he was just a kid. But realistically speaking, this doesn't happen like this. A kid doesn't just simply resents a parent out of his own will, and most likely not when his mother loved the father and had never probably said bad things about it to the kid.
So I wouldn't really take all this Kenji stuff very seriously, in fact I'm not sure the director's intention is for you to think he hated his father because he wasn't home... rather that he was a bit frustrated with situation as it was, him being the only man in the house and being weak as a kid. much like Kenshin felt when he was little. But Kenji, as a difference, doesn't want to admit to this at least not in the front of everyone else as he, as a swordman, would always be compared to his father. He is stubborn and abit selfcentered which is normal for every kid.
Keep in mind that in the end he accepts the reverse blade sword.
Jul 29, 2014 12:15 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah, it didn't seem like Kenji "hated" his father as much as he was just "upset" that his father was never around, and I really can't blame him for that. Realistically speaking, there was absolutely no need for Kenshin to leave home and become a wanderer again. If the viewer can see that, surely Kenji could.

And, frankly, kids always tend to resent their parents for being absent, whether they had a good reason or not. A kid is most likely just going to see the parent as having abandoned them (which Kenshin actually did, honestly). Of course, Kenshin had noble intentions and was a noble man, and as Kenji grew older, he'd likely realize this more and more. The most tragic part is Kenji never truly getting to know his father and Kenji holding this anger beyond his father's death, never getting the opportunity to make amends or truly come to terms with it while his father was around. A day would come where he would feel deep amounts of remorse for how he felt. That's a harsh life waiting for him...

... man this shit is bloody depressing as hell.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen Episode 2 Discussion

gohdan - May 2, 2010

28 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 23, 2022 8:25 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Seisouhen Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Dec 22, 2009

10 by Samextheft »»
Sep 12, 2022 9:48 AM

» Aniplex Blu-ray missing scenes?

Nishimura - Jun 26, 2013

1 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
Jun 13, 2022 11:33 PM

» Just beautiful .. help reach this to a lot of people

Arcus____ - Jun 5, 2021

0 by Arcus____ »»
Jun 5, 2021 3:30 PM

» A director's cut version?

Mylo_08 - Jan 22, 2020

1 by WatchTillTandava »»
Mar 25, 2020 7:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.