Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 15, 2016 7:05 AM

Feb 2016
What do you rate as your best standalone anime film?

My favourite by far is Spirited away... seen it like 8 times and i just love it hey! I remember the first time i watched it when i was like 8 and it was awesome then haha.

Other anime films i really like are........ Princess Mononoke and Howls moving Castle!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 15, 2016 7:22 AM

Feb 2016
I'm sensing a theme here, then again I'm well and truly on the Ghibli bandwagon (Nausicaa was what got me into anime after all).

All things Miyazaki-san aside, I enjoy anything by Hosoda Mamoru (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, The Boy and the Beast).

-PJ
"God doesn't play dice"
-Albert Einstein

"Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded"
-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
Alpha Centauri
Aug 15, 2016 8:15 AM

Apr 2014
Currently watching Mardock Scrambles. I'm getting GitS vibes from the 3 movie series. Definitely a must watch for sci-fi/thriller/mystery fans.
Aug 15, 2016 9:09 AM
Jun 2013
I'm a sucker for visuals and how immersed I can be in an anime movie's universe. So, for me the best standalone anime movie is Kotonoha no Niwa. The story is touching, the soundtrack is pretty great, and the visuals are amazing.
A very close second for me is Perfect Blue.
-mugi.exe has stopped responding...
Aug 15, 2016 10:46 AM
May 2016
I have seen nearly 0 stand alones. Always been a series guy but just right now I did finish Akira which I enjoyed quite a bit! It stands up pretty amazingly considering it's made in the late 80's. I also really enjoyed Howls Moving Castle as well.
Aug 15, 2016 4:20 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't watched many anime films, but i love the over the top racing in Redline. The art style and over the top action at points sold it for me.
Aug 15, 2016 5:24 PM
皆の先生

Sep 2012
My favourite would be Spirited Away, but Roujin Z gets and honourable mention for being hilarious and heartwarming.
Aug 15, 2016 6:38 PM
Jul 2009
My favourite is Wolf Children, I watch it many times!!

I also really like Spirited Away, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Pokemon The Origin
Aug 16, 2016 12:36 AM

Dec 2011
Maybe the topic should be "Best anime films that are NOT Ghibli films" so we can get a bit more variety haha.

My favourites probably include Time of Eve, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, Evangelion 2.22, Perfect Blue and the Kara no Kyoukai movies. I've also just watched The Case of Hana & Alice which I think is seriously underrated if you can get past the rotoscoping.
Aug 16, 2016 1:01 AM

Feb 2016
kenneh said:
Maybe the topic should be "Best anime films that are NOT Ghibli films" so we can get a bit more variety haha.

You are probably right.... but they have done some pretty amazing work so its hard to not include them!
Aug 16, 2016 2:15 AM
Aug 2015
Got a few favs. Of course Studio Ghibli top the charts: Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Ponyo.

I love my sci-fi so Paprika also is one of the best - great storyline and art. Mamoru Hosoda's works is also in my list including Summer Wars and The Boy and The Beast.

Worth mention is Makoto Shinkai's anime - The Garden of Words. I've got to say that this anime is beautifully crafted in terms of its animation art.
Aug 16, 2016 6:13 AM

Feb 2014
Theres screenings of the new final fantasy movie next Saturday, August 27th. Definitely keen to go see that in cinema
Aug 16, 2016 6:16 AM
Jul 2009
Cummdog123 said:
kenneh said:

You are probably right.... but they have done some pretty amazing work so its hard to not include them!

My favorite is Wolf Children and that not a ghibli movie :p
Aug 17, 2016 6:39 PM
皆の先生

Sep 2012
kenneh said:
I've also just watched The Case of Hana & Alice which I think is seriously underrated if you can get past the rotoscoping.

Rotoscoping is so great! I loved Aku no Hana because of it!
Aug 17, 2016 6:41 PM
皆の先生

Sep 2012
Also, there's nothing wrong with Ghibli films! They're classics! We shouldn't knock other people's opinions just because they've only seen more popular anime films.
Aug 17, 2016 7:52 PM

Dec 2011
mpuddingcess said:
Also, there's nothing wrong with Ghibli films! They're classics! We shouldn't knock other people's opinions just because they've only seen more popular anime films.

Haha I was only joking. There's nothing wrong with them at all, as they dominate these kinds of discussions for good reason. Seeing more variety here than expected, anyway.
Aug 17, 2016 7:56 PM
Jun 2016
My favorite anime movie of all time is, Wolf Children :D I love that movie!! It is the best movie ever to me.
Aug 19, 2016 9:11 PM

Feb 2016
kenneh said:

Being the Shirow Masamune fan that I am, I would be remiss not to mention any of the Appleseed films. I didn't mind the series, but in my own subjective opinion the films are more to my taste.

Keeping on the theme of Cyberpunk (I blame my father for introducing me to William Gibson at a young age), Ghost in the Shell always rates highly. I think the RISE series are the weakest thus far, but I still rate them highly overall. The original is exactly that, the original and all-time classic. I didn't mind Innocence, but it didn't hook me in like the original.

The tie-in Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (ugh that's an exercise to type) I do emphatically recommend to anyone whom was a fan of both GITSAC series. Plus Yoko Kanno and the (late) Origa, *cue fan squeal here *

-PJ
"God doesn't play dice"
-Albert Einstein

"Einstein would turn over in his grave. Not only does God play dice, the dice are loaded"
-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
Alpha Centauri
Aug 20, 2016 2:04 AM

Dec 2011
PJammaGod said:

The tie-in Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society (ugh that's an exercise to type) I do emphatically recommend to anyone whom was a fan of both GITSAC series. Plus Yoko Kanno and the (late) Origa, *cue fan squeal here *

That OP to that is probably my favourite out of the GITS SAC series. The series probably has my favourite anime OST, thinking about it. Gotta love Yoko Kanno.

FYI, you've got your Youtube BBCode wrong - you need to put the video ID (the bit after v=) instead of the url, so you simply put 6-X4TsPqb2w between the tags.

Aug 20, 2016 9:47 AM

Feb 2016
Ack my bad! This is problem switching between varying boards. You're using one tag style that you automatically type it in on the next board, without checking format and syntax. To make up for my mistake here's Rise by Origa as penance.

And I'll second the motion about GITSAC having an amazing OST kenneh (I have all of them). Yoko Kanno is one my all-time favourite artist / composers. Cowboy Bebop baited me, Wolf's Rain hooked me and GITSAC reeled me in. I was a little dubious when I first heard about GITSAC. Then I heard that first riff and saw the rain dappled city. I was converted.

-PJ
"God doesn't play dice"
-Albert Einstein

-Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang
Alpha Centauri
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» best anime's this spring 2017

Jessica1350 - May 16, 2017

5 by Siffudoodle »»
May 29, 2017 11:10 AM

» Most anticipated anime of Winter 2016/17

Senseii95 - Dec 11, 2016

1 by Jessica1350 »»
Jan 15, 2017 7:59 PM

» PAniC Fundraiser Quiz Night

Senseii95 - Sep 22, 2016

0 by Senseii95 »»
Sep 22, 2016 8:32 PM

» Huh, well that show was pleasantly surprising

PJammaGod - Sep 15, 2016

1 by SillyFawn »»
Sep 17, 2016 12:00 AM

» This season's best character

Senseii95 - Aug 1, 2016

11 by PJammaGod »»
Sep 15, 2016 7:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.