Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2016 12:21 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Please use Tales of Zestiria the X: Saiyaku no Jidai entry for the first episode that aired on July 3, which is actually an "Episode 0" (prologue). The factual "Episode 1" will air on July 10.

Due to no mods being available to unlock it when the anime airs, I will be posting this thread for the first episode only. The first episode will officially air 6 hours and 39 minutes from when this is posted.

Will be left unlocked, and any posts posted in here before the air date will be deleted when I wake up.
Jul 10, 2016 7:55 AM

Nov 2011
Well this was quite something.

To me, this was more like an extended version of the special OVA of both Alisha's and Sorey + Mikelo's point of view up to the point where they encountered each other. For one thing, I feel bad for Alisha here as she almost loses her life and hope in the ruins.

Animation remains strong for the show and personally, I'm really starting to like the OP song of this series. Good stuff, hopefully the pacing will pick up more next time.
Jul 10, 2016 8:04 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Sorey and Alisha meet! Was looking forward to this moment :D

The preview sequence is quite fun.

Jul 10, 2016 8:12 AM

Apr 2015
I love how they expand on what was shown in the OVA already.

One of the first things I've always wondered about was how Alisha got into these ruins and the anime finally fills this hole.

I also like how they're taking it slow as it should be for a 25 episode series. I'm familiar with the lore but still this world building is quite interesting.

The show makes me already feel several things for Alisha. Poor girl...

Oh and look what little fellow made an early appearance :D

I absolutely adore the ED musical and visual wise. I love when stories give you this "group" feeling and if they expand on the characters then this could become a group with a really great dynamic.
Jul 10, 2016 8:13 AM

Apr 2014
I haven't played any Tales games before.

Pretty good first episode with Alisha and Sorey meeting each other for the first time. Whenever they talk about the Shepherd, the only thing I can picture is some guy leading sheep around but with a sword instead of a staff lol

Jul 10, 2016 8:13 AM

May 2011
The ep was so beautiful
I really was happy when they animated that skit , even tho they cut so many part from the game v_v
I also realized that they used some scenes from the special ep ( Doushi no Yoake )
I like the idea of putting a skit instead of a preview
oh everything was so good
and that ending :")
Jul 10, 2016 8:17 AM

Jul 2012
This was a lot better than I expected! Gosh now so much makes sense from the game wooooo >o<

One thing that worries me though, is seeing the "Episodes: 12", it CAN'T possibly be only 12 episodes......RIGHT.................RIIGHT?
Jul 10, 2016 8:18 AM

May 2016
This was so freaking awesome! The graphics, the characters, the 1st episode plot, FREAKING AWESOME DUDE!
Jul 10, 2016 8:19 AM

Jul 2011
xFaithy said:
This was a lot better than I expected! Gosh now so much makes sense from the game wooooo >o<

One thing that worries me though, is seeing the "Episodes: 12", it CAN'T possibly be only 12 episodes......RIGHT.................RIIGHT?

12 episode this season, another 13 in winter.

Anyway,

I love how they finally explained how Alisha got to where she is in the game. I hope they keep up the quality of the animation too.

Also extra points for that ending skit. hahaha.

Jul 10, 2016 8:29 AM

Sep 2015
fhána for the ED *o*
The scene at the beginning with those insects was really disgusting though
I hope the quality of the animation will be like this for the entire series
Jul 10, 2016 8:33 AM
May 2010
Another good ep, nice to see it continue from the prologue as we get to see how Alisha end up in the ruins.
Can't wait to see how it will go from here they aren't doing a bad job at all.
Jul 10, 2016 8:45 AM

May 2009
Great job Ufotable! They explained this scene so much better than the game, with better cgi compared to the previous episode. Can't wait for ep 2!
Jul 10, 2016 8:52 AM

Dec 2014
So the prologue led into the first part of the game/ova. Wondering how it will differ from here. Awesome job with the animation as usual. Great ending song as well.

Keep it up Ufotable, I have faith...
Jul 10, 2016 8:52 AM

Dec 2014
That was a good episode.

The animation and art are lovely, These environments really give of a real adventurous feel, Makes me feel like playing am Rpg xD.

The bug scene was disgusting, I hate bugs :3

Seems like most of the story is going to be based around a certain prophecy I guess, The so called Shepard.

It's been made quite clear that Mikleo isn't human, What species is he? Even Sorey for that matter is he human or not?:o

Alisha and Sorey finally meet, She was quite quick in questioning whether Sorey was the Shepard though. I suppose that shows the amount of faith she's put into this Shepard.

I'm quite interested in how this gonna play out, The world lore is quite intriguing, I should really buy the game.
Jul 10, 2016 8:53 AM

Apr 2014
loved the start of it and they showed alot more than what they did with the game already not to mention what they showed with ep 00

all in all this is gonna be amazing
"one step at a time"
Jul 10, 2016 8:54 AM

Oct 2015
well I watched Tales of Zestiria Doushi no Yoake and all I can say is..
SOREY I LOVE YOU
Jul 10, 2016 8:56 AM

Jul 2014
Phoenix was cute this episode. Once again it is Alisha suffering the whole episode. The ending song reminds me of the ending credits in the Tales games.

I freaking love the game skit at the end of the ending song. This episode was pretty gay too.
Jul 10, 2016 9:07 AM

Sep 2015
Arts and animations are really over the top, unlimited budget works.
Jul 10, 2016 9:08 AM

Sep 2011
A lot better than the game does it. More backstory on Alisha and how she got to where she ended up there. In the game, we just saw her lying down on that one spot. Glad they're adding all these other things to the story. However, I hope they don't actually follow the story 1:1. Was expecting them to at least fight some monsters, but I guess not lol. And the whole "Are you a Shepherd" is different too. Wonder what road they'll take this anime.
Jul 10, 2016 9:09 AM

Nov 2013
koto said:
Phoenix was cute this episode. Once again it is Alisha suffering the whole episode. The ending song reminds me of the ending credits in the Tales games.

I freaking love the game skit at the end of the ending song. This episode was pretty gay too.

Was that Phoenix...? I think it was just one of the other Normin, there was once with a similar color palette, its voice didn't sound like Phoenix, and he should be...
Jul 10, 2016 9:10 AM

Dec 2014
Tyrel said:
A lot better than the game does it. More backstory on Alisha and how she got to where she ended up there. In the game, we just saw her lying down on that one spot. Glad they're adding all these other things to the story. However, I hope they don't actually follow the story 1:1

It would be stupid of them to do so (for obvious reasons). I don't want another repeat of a certain controversy.
Jul 10, 2016 9:10 AM

Nov 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
That was a good episode.

The animation and art are lovely, These environments really give of a real adventurous feel, Makes me feel like playing am Rpg xD.

Seems like most of the story is going to be based around a certain prophecy I guess, The so called Shepard.

It's been made quite clear that Mikleo isn't human, What species is he? Even Sorey for that matter is he human or not?:o

Alisha and Sorey finally meet, She was quite quick in questioning whether Sorey was the Shepard though. I suppose that shows the amount of faith she's put into this Shepard.

I'm quite interested in how this gonna play out, The world lore is quite intriguing, I should really buy the game.

Well, it is based on a RPG, of course it gives the proper feeling.

About Mikleo and Sorey, Sorey is a human but not a regular one, while Mikleo is one of the so mentioned Seraphim
Jul 10, 2016 9:12 AM

Dec 2014
VierMill said:
Lelouch0202 said:
That was a good episode.

Well, it is based on a RPG, of course it gives the proper feeling.

About Mikleo and Sorey, Sorey is a human but not a regular one, while Mikleo is one of the so mentioned Seraphim

Well of course it should give that feeling xD

Not a regular human, Interesting. So if Mikleo is one of the aforementioned Seraphim then that entire village they were from is also comprised of Seraphim I take it.
Jul 10, 2016 9:13 AM

Jul 2007
A bit better than the prologue episode but most of the flaws are still present. The Opening scene had some nice directing with the rain and stuff, but for most of the episode it is still as stiff and uncreative as the prologue, not to mention the transitions between scenes are still just as awkward to the point that the episode feels like you are watching a bunch of separate game cutscenes instead of a normal episode.

Animation and directing at some bits looks actually worse than the prologue(ex the first scene after the op with Alisha in some shots feels like Alisha has a greenscreen behind her instead of an actual location)

We also get more bad CGI - the bugs looked fake as hell and even the water in the next scene after that was ughh. Of course the prize of "the worst CGI of the episode" has to go to the mountains the MC runs through right after that portion. I really don't get why Ufo feels like they need to use CGI for such things. Do they have some obligatory number of CGI shots they need to add into episode or were they rushed for time and just CGI-modeled parts of the episodes instead of actually drawing the backgrounds there?

What's more we carry over more of the source material flaws this episode, including the bland male protagonist and some fujobaiting. Holy shit the MC and his friend are just as annoying and one dimensional as in the game. At least the additions that are not in the game are enjoyable so far but don't exactly help the otherwise mediocre things that carry over from the source. I was kind of hoping the dude and his bro would just accidentally die and we could follow Alisha's pov for the whole show as that could be promising and would probably make a better story.

Pacing wise if the prologue was way too fast, this is way too slow covering a miniscule part of the OVA timeline.

At least this episode answers whether people need to watch the OVA - they absolutely don't, LOL.

3/5 for the episode.
AhenshihaelJul 10, 2016 9:20 AM
Jul 10, 2016 9:19 AM
Jan 2013
So is the main character gay or what
Jul 10, 2016 9:21 AM

Sep 2010
The start of the story was well done in the game already and here is the improvement of that.

For someone who played the game and watched the OVA though threre was little new so that's a disappointment.

I just hope that anime will really have it's own storyline though as with 12 episodes and this pacing we wouldn't even see the end of the war arc.
Jul 10, 2016 9:22 AM

Jul 2007
enginesofdemise said:

No. He is just a typical "GOTTA EXPLORE GUYSE" annoying kid. I don't think his brain can even process what "sexuality" is.

eso18 said:

I just hope that anime will really have it's own storyline though as with 12 episodes and this pacing we wouldn't even see the end of the war arc.

Its split cour.
Jul 10, 2016 9:22 AM

Jul 2014
Well it wasn't quite as epic as that prologue was last week, but it was still very interesting and a fairly decent start, even if it was blatantly obvious very quickly that the show was aiming to push the princess (Alisha? I don't think anyone has said her name in the show so far) and Sorey and Mikleo into meeting each other. ED was a good song, and I thought the episode preview being like something from a visual novel was pretty funny.

This'll be worth keeping an eye on.
Jul 10, 2016 9:24 AM

Jul 2015
eso18 said:
The start of the story was well done in the game already and here is the improvement of that.

For someone who played the game and watched the OVA though threre was little new so that's a disappointment.

Wasn't it leaked for a split cour with the 2nd season starting in Winter
Sup...
Jul 10, 2016 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty good episode.
Animation is great as expected of ufotable (although I didn't quite like Sorey's mountain CGI scene).
Being Alisha is suffering.
Liking that preview skit.
DafkaJul 10, 2016 9:28 AM
Jul 10, 2016 9:25 AM

Apr 2015
Tyrel said:
A lot better than the game does it. More backstory on Alisha and how she got to where she ended up there. In the game, we just saw her lying down on that one spot. Glad they're adding all these other things to the story. However, I hope they don't actually follow the story 1:1. Was expecting them to at least fight some monsters, but I guess not lol. And the whole "Are you a Shepherd" is different too. Wonder what road they'll take this anime.

From what I heard

On top of that the Velvet implications should make this anime story even more distinct from the game story.
Jul 10, 2016 9:40 AM

Jun 2014
Well this episode was pretty much the OVA again, but this time, it wasn't only from Sorey and Mikleo's point of view. Even though it was content I've already seen before, I still thought it was a good episode and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jul 10, 2016 9:57 AM

Feb 2014
The new ending by fhana was great!

The animation was great. Look forward to the next episode!
Jul 10, 2016 10:09 AM

Jan 2015
Are you my master a Shepherd?
Jul 10, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2012
Lol Sorey wants to be Nathan Drake.

Also that skit at the end lol
DecoysknightJul 10, 2016 10:35 AM
Jul 10, 2016 10:33 AM

Mar 2016
I can already tell that I am going to love this series. It is so interesting and the visuals are amazing
Jul 10, 2016 10:56 AM

Jul 2013
I liked the episode. Sorey and Mikleo are likeable so far, the legend of the Sheperds it's explored and they found the ruins where supposedly the legend comes.

They met the princess (was Alisha her name?), so I guess the story will truly start in the next episode.

As always, ufotable made it again with the visuals, truly beautiful.
ED was fine.
IllyricusJul 17, 2016 11:59 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:05 AM

Aug 2010
seems interesting so far and I really like the character designs of everyone so far, especially Mikleo and Alisha.

I just hope Sorey doesn't annoy the hell out of me from now on. He doesn't seems so bad so far, but i've seen that archetype done countless time before, and not once was i a fan.

The skit at the end was funny. I'm guessing those are the actual game assets that were used here?

Not bad, even if a bit slow, but this will be 25 episodes, so there's no need to rush things.

Like the prologue, this will be 7.5/10 for me.
Jul 10, 2016 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
The episode was good!

Sorey and Mikleo met Princess Alisha!
Jul 10, 2016 11:14 AM
Nov 2015
That was ufo-tabulous.

Obviously the animation remains the high point but the series itself isn't looking bad yet. Yet.
Jul 10, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2015
Almost no drawn background.3DCGI instead, who makes characters look like paperboard. Is this supposed to be pretty (because it looks okay only during close-up where you can't perceive enough) ? The studio's "style" or to remind us it comes from a game?
At least, there is no scene saturated with 3DCGI and special effects everywhere at the same time (like in the prologue). And no overexposed photography scene.

Since this is simply a RPG adaptation, the premise (threat and adventure) seem very common, and the anime kind of help this "average" impression. But it should help gain time for the anime makers to learn to draw some background themselves. (those people would be horribly lost if they had to work before computer animation...)
Also, a thing in the french version (on DAISUKI): it is annoying to hear the hero be called Slei/Sley/Surei and read at the same time Sorey.

3/5

Illyricus said:
As always, ufotable made it again with the visuals, truly beautiful.

If I read you correctly, this is how "pretty" every TV series of this studio look like?
Rei_IIIJul 10, 2016 11:24 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:15 AM

Sep 2011
astroprogs said:
seems interesting so far and I really like the character designs of everyone so far, especially Mikleo and Alisha.

I just hope Sorey doesn't annoy the hell out of me from now on. He doesn't seems so bad so far, but i've seen that archetype done countless time before, and not once was i a fan.

The skit at the end was funny. I'm guessing those are the actual game assets that were used here?

Not bad, even if a bit slow, but this will be 25 episodes, so there's no need to rush things.

Like the prologue, this will be 7.5/10 for me.
No one really likes him as a character in the game—at least from all my friends views. He's not that likeable to be quite honest. Two girls that show up later are, imo, the best characters.
Jul 10, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2010
enginesofdemise said:

SoreyxMikleo is canon, so there's that.
Jul 10, 2016 11:28 AM
May 2015
That entire first half of this episode wasn't even in the game but I welcome ufotable bringing in changes because the first half actually bothered explaining some shit that the game didn't even bother explaining. Maybe they did later in the game but I completely forgot.

Secondly, I fucking wish it was that fast and easy to find Alicia in the game. It wasn't hard to find her in the game because the map pretty much tells you where she is and the dungeon is straight forward but it was boring and time consuming as fuck. The dungeon as a whole was super boring. Fighting monsters just didn't do it for me either, for whatever reason. The dungeons in Final Fantasy is 100 times better than Zestiria's. In the anime version, he had that damn grappling hook. I wish the game gave me a grappling hook too :/. The invisible bridge is present in both versions.

Thirdly, Sorey, for whatever reason, didn't come off as annoying when he was talking to Alicia. He seemed so serious in this version. In the game, his first talk with Alicia was cringy as fuck.

Also, Alicia asking "Are you a Shepherd?"..........Hmmm..........I'm guessing this is where the anime version starts to not follow Zestiria's storyline?

Fourth, the visuals is based ufotable..No complaints around here. The bugs looks exactly the same as the bugs that raped Sakura in Fate/Zero. The ED is amazing. I knew it was going to be great since it's by fhana, the same singer who sung HaruChika's OP.

Lastly, I don't know why people are complaining about pacing. It's a slow pacing, just the way I like it. Attention-span issues, I suppose?
jc9622Jul 10, 2016 11:31 AM

Jul 10, 2016 11:32 AM
Jul 2015
Surprised to see Ufotable president as storyboard artist and sound director in this but he did a good job.

Rei366 said:

If I read you correctly, this is how "pretty" every TV series of this studio look like?

Every show they made have different visual style, Tales rely more on CG, GE have cel shaded character, UBW had hand painted Background.

Also one thing about the backgrounds in this that the studio use its Artist instead of relying on another studio like every other anime.
Dab1za9Jul 10, 2016 11:39 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:36 AM

Jul 2007
astroprogs said:

Let's just say that most of the people who played the game have some VERY strong opinions about him. Only one other character is despised more from this game, due to certain bullshit last second story shuffle.

Rei366 said:

This is amongst worse looking shows of them. KNK is arguably the best looking thing they have ever made.

Otherwise while their productions are pretty they all look same-y and use the same tricks and drawing style.

antonn said:
enginesofdemise said:

SoreyxMikleo is canon, so there's that.

While the director said some fujobait-y comments about it, the game-MC is pretty much asexual virgin chaste "muh adventures".
AhenshihaelJul 10, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 10, 2016 11:36 AM
Feb 2013
I'm hooked. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 10, 2016 11:54 AM

Jun 2015
Having played the game, really enjoying the anime so farm 10/10, the ED art was super amazing too, reminded me when I completed the game and the credits were rolling down
Jul 10, 2016 12:08 PM

Apr 2016
Fappa said:
I also like how they're taking it slow as it should be for a 25 episode series. I'm familiar with the lore but still this world building is quite interesting.
I hope it's that long. I'm quite impressed.

Can't wait for episode 2! Also, great OP and animation.
TyrelJul 10, 2016 12:14 PM
Jul 10, 2016 12:31 PM

Sep 2014
I haven't watched this episode or the previous one yet, but I've been thinking... is it even possible for this to become a really good anime, given the amount of complaints regarding the quality of the story among fans?

I'm not talking about visual quality, because that's already a given. I'm just afraid the story will turn out to be pretty meh and there won't be more reasons to watch it other than the visuals.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

194 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Sep 17, 5:12 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

188 by bushman66 »»
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

128 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.