Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 23, 2015 8:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm a tense episode but still, these allusions just never ceases to entertain me:

Also interesting background info revealed again this episode. The trial also caught my attention a bit. Quite entertaining. However, the most most tense part is the end. I suppose forgiveness isn't part of Yureha's vocabulary anymore.

Another damn cliffhanger D:
Stark700Feb 23, 2015 8:16 AM
Feb 23, 2015 9:01 AM
Sep 2013
So it turns out Yuriika was a bear after all, as well as the one who killed Kaoru. I'm a little disappointed as I thought it would of been too obvious if she was one, considering everyone so far with Yuri in their name has been one. Its not a bad twist but I was expecting a bit more.

It seems I was correct in my prediction that Yuriika was behind Reia's death as she was jealous of Reia going with a man and giving birth to Eureka. With Reia dead she's now taking her anger out on Eureka. Basically Yuriika is putting the blame of Reia's death on Ginko now because she has the pendant and has also told Eureka that both Lulu and Ginko are bears. Eureka was obviously hesitant at first but Lulu then tells her that Ginko let Mitsuko kill Sumika and the episode ends with Eureka pointing the gun at Ginko.

So it ends on quite a cliff-hanger but with Yuriika being revealed so soon is she really going to be the final opponent with 4 more episodes still to go?
Feb 23, 2015 9:35 AM

Oct 2012
Zetsubo667 said:
So it turns out Yuriika was a bear after all.

Mmmm... . Yup! . Sure looks that way...

If the above image failed to display properly, or for a much higher resolution version, please click below:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/aaieba149/imgs/a/6/a6cd88b8.jpg
Feb 23, 2015 10:23 AM

Jan 2015
Dat cliffhanger...interesting episode, Really. This anime is the best of the season.
EDIT: "At last shall hit the mark", under the Two guns in the wall (14:35)
XenocrisiFeb 23, 2015 10:43 AM
Feb 23, 2015 10:56 AM

Jul 2007
So my guesses about Yuriika and her motives were indeed correct. Although it might have been the mother who became invisible and not Yuriika and Yuriika could not deal with that(remember? The bears can only eat invisible girls).

Also more proof to my "the bear and human world we see is representation of Kureha's perception of reality warped by some event and the bear court is her subconscious in conflict with itself":

^The "Day of Severance" when the "wall" appeared is when Kureha's perception of Ginko changed

^Court implying they represent Kumalia's will. Kureha=Kumalia?
AhenshihaelFeb 23, 2015 10:59 AM
Feb 23, 2015 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
This episode is quite interesting. Yuriika was the killer of Kureha's mother.
Feb 23, 2015 11:29 AM

Mar 2011
Zetsubo667 said:
So it turns out Yuriika was a bear after all, as well as the one who killed Kaoru.

Can't believe we got something right :-D the word “predictable” is one of the last that come to mind in relation to this anime. Then again, maybe it was a double bluff? Make it too obvious so it's a surprise when it turns out to be exactly what it seems?
Feb 23, 2015 11:31 AM

May 2013
So we know that Yuriika was the one that killed Kureha's mother. Damn that cliffhanger. Wish I knew what they said at the end there.
Feb 23, 2015 11:34 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Very tense and interesting episode filled with more answers that everyone were waiting for :)

I think everyone knew that the principal was the one behind it all but her back story was pretty sad tbh. Still what she did was selfish and evil and it made me cringe to see how Kureha fell for all her antics in this episode

However, I did not expect to see that Ginko was the one that killed Sumika. I thought that the other bear from like episode 2 or 3 admitted to eating her?

Also, if the principal isn't a bear anymore then does this mean that there is someone else going around eating people?

And man that cliffhanger sucks.....If Kureha shot Ginko I'm gonna be pissed
Feb 23, 2015 11:37 AM

Jul 2007
Tokoya said:

However, I did not expect to see that Ginko was the one that killed Sumika. I thought that the other bear from like episode 2 or 3 admitted to eating her?

That was not said. What was said was muted by the thunder.
Feb 23, 2015 11:44 AM
Sep 2013
lalomartins said:

Can't believe we got something right :-D the word “predictable” is one of the last that come to mind in relation to this anime. Then again, maybe it was a double bluff? Make it too obvious so it's a surprise when it turns out to be exactly what it seems?

Its very possible it was a double bluff, I was still expecting something else but its happened now.

Tokoya said:

It was never said that Ginko killed Sumika. What Lulu revealed was muted. Based on the flashback of Epsiode 6 its most likely that Ginko's sin as well as what Lulu told Eureka here, is that Ginko could of prevented Mitsuko killing Sumika but didn't, because she probably wanted Sumika dead as well.
Feb 23, 2015 11:47 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
CookingPriest said:
Tokoya said:

That was not said. What was said was muted by the thunder.

Zetsubo667 said:
lalomartins said:

Its very possible it was a double bluff, I was still expecting something else but its happened now.

Tokoya said:

It was never said that Ginko killed Sumika. What Lulu revealed was muted. Based on the flashback of Epsiode 6 its most likely that Ginko's sin as well as what Lulu told Eureka here, is that Ginko could of prevented Mitsuko killing Sumika but didn't, because she probably wanted Sumika dead as well.
True

But even then, why point the gun at her? Kureha really annoyed me by how naive she was in this episode
Feb 23, 2015 11:53 AM

Jul 2007
Is it just me or the fish gutting in this episode was shaped as vagina?
Feb 23, 2015 11:56 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
Feb 23, 2015 12:00 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Zetsubo667 said:
lalomartins said:

Tokoya said:

Yep, this is the only option i can really go for. What else could it possibly be, anyone?

Moral of the story is that Ginko really fucked things up big time and couldn't get out of it anymore. (watching Sumika die and not helping, dragging Lulu into this mess and end up hurting her)
Feb 23, 2015 12:10 PM

May 2012
So she was the bear!? Like everyone and their mama didn't know that.

Damn this was a good episode. Learned a lot about the principle. So that's why see keeps a lot of boxes. Was surprise that it was her that killed Tsukibaki's mom. Dat ending was great. Lulu came out of no where and got Ginko shot. I felt like Ginko was going to tell her anyway. Well can't wait to see what happens next episode.

4/5
Feb 23, 2015 12:10 PM

Aug 2013
I knew it! I knew it was Yurika who Kureha's mother Reia. And seriously the previous principle is a guy? He look at a woman, as a matter of fact he look exactly like Kaoru.
Feb 23, 2015 12:30 PM

Oct 2012
Xenocrisi said:
"At last shall hit the mark", under the two guns in the wall (14:35)

Wow! Clearly you are watching the HD version! Somebody else on the MAL
threads about Yurikuma, Soulelle, spotted this way back during Episode 3,
as it says on her blog titled "soulelle's Blog":
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=766387

As Soulelle pointed out, the entire text of what is written on the wall is
“She that shoots oft at last shall hit the mark.” This proverb was first said in
2015 by Ikuhara, she says.

A very closely-related proverb is, “He that shoots oft at last shall hit the mark.”
This was written in 1516 by Sir Thomas More in "Utopia". Well, in fact, More
wrote "Utopia" in Latin. The standard English wording is due to R. Robinson
who translated "Utopia" into English in 1551. As a side note, back in 1551, the
letter "s" looked pretty much like "f", so in older books the proverb used to be
printed something like this:

. . . . . “He that fhootf oft at laft fhall hit the mark.”

From Googling “He that shoots oft at last shall hit the mark", it is notable that
the vast majority of hits are on webpages in Japan. Apparently, this is a much-
loved English proverb, which they always translate as 下手な鉄砲、数打ちゃ当たる。
I don't know the story of how this got first started. Some Korean webpages use
it as well. In the cases where it is mentioned on English-language webpages, it
is usually in extremely old books which are collections of English proverbs, most
of which don't specify who originally said it.

Here are a few examples of Japanese webpages which show More's proverb along
with the standard Japanese equivalent:
http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/He+that+shoots+oft+at+last+shall+hit+the+mark.
http://kakugeneigo.seesaa.net/article/96606052.html
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%22%5Bhit%5D+the+mark%22

In fact, the proverb does not mention the word "gun" and has nothing to with
shooting. After all, the book was written in 1516, at which time handheld guns
were very early in their development. As well, More was not creating a new
proverb, but was actually referring to an even older proverb, which can be
translated as, ‘That he who throws the dice often, will sometimes have a lucky
hit.’ In other words, if you roll a pair of dice often enough, sooner or later you
will get double-sixes. Look at this more recent translation of "Utopia" here on
page 37: http://history-world.org/Utopia_T.pdf

The standard Japanese translation of More's proverb is 下手な鉄砲、数打ちゃ当たる。
which looks to me like they are saying, "Somebody who is not good at shooting
a gun, if they shoot many times, they will hit." So the meaning in Japanese has
been multiply distorted from what Sir Thomas More had in mind in 1516.

That big flower above the crossed rifles is related to Kureha's family name,
"Tsubaki" (椿輝). The first kanji 椿 by itself is also pronounced "tsubaki". The
second kanji 輝 means something like "brightness". If you do a Google Image
search for 椿輝, you will see many pictures of Kureha. However, if you do a
Google Image search for 椿, you will see many pictures of the Tsubaki flower.
Its scientific name is "Camellia japonica". If you look around Kureha's house,
you will notice many tsubakis all over the place. Also, there is a picture of a
tsubaki painted on the bottom-front of the wood part of Kureha's hunting rifle.
Feb 23, 2015 12:35 PM

Sep 2014
God damn cliffhanger...what did Lulu say about Ginko and Sumika? I thought Mitsuko was the one who ate Sumika?
Feb 23, 2015 12:37 PM

Jan 2015
okanagan said:
Xenocrisi said:
"At last shall hit the mark", under the two guns in the wall (14:35)

Wow! Clearly you are watching the HD version! Somebody else on the MAL
threads about Yurikuma, Soulelle, spotted this way back during Episode 3,
as it says on her blog titled "soulelle's Blog":
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=766387

As Soulelle pointed out, the entire text of what is written on the wall is
“She that shoots oft at last shall hit the mark.” This proverb was first said in
2015 by Ikuhara, she says.

A very closely-related proverb is, “He that shoots oft at last shall hit the mark.”
This was written in 1516 by Sir Thomas More in "Utopia". Well, in fact, More
wrote "Utopia" in Latin. The standard English wording is due to R. Robinson
who translated "Utopia" into English in 1551. As a side note, back in 1551, the
letter "s" looked pretty much like "f", so in older books the proverb used to be
printed something like this:

. . . . . “He that fhootf oft at laft fhall hit the mark.”

From Googling “He that shoots oft at last shall hit the mark", it is notable that
the vast majority of hits are on webpages in Japan. Apparently, this is a much-
loved English proverb, which they always translate as 下手な鉄砲、数打ちゃ当たる。
I don't know the story of how this got first started. Some Korean webpages use
it as well. In the cases where it is mentioned on English-language webpages, it
is usually in extremely old books which are collections of English proverbs, most
of which don't specify who originally said it.

Here are a few examples of Japanese webpages which show More's proverb along
with the standard Japanese equivalent:
http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/He+that+shoots+oft+at+last+shall+hit+the+mark.
http://kakugeneigo.seesaa.net/article/96606052.html
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%22%5Bhit%5D+the+mark%22

In fact, the proverb does not mention the word "gun" and has nothing to with
shooting. After all, the book was written in 1516, at which time handheld guns
were very early in their development. As well, More was not creating a new
proverb, but was actually referring to an even older proverb, which can be
translated as, ‘That he who throws the dice often, will sometimes have a lucky
hit.’ In other words, if you roll a pair of dice often enough, sooner or later you
will get double-sixes. Look at this more recent translation of "Utopia" here on
page 37: http://history-world.org/Utopia_T.pdf

The standard Japanese translation of More's proverb is 下手な鉄砲、数打ちゃ当たる。
which looks to me like they are saying, "Somebody who is not good at shooting
a gun, if they shoot many times, they will hit." So the meaning in Japanese has
been multiply distorted from what Sir Thomas More had in mind in 1516.

That big flower above the crossed rifles is related to Kureha's family name,
"Tsubaki" (椿輝). The first kanji 椿 by itself is also pronounced "tsubaki". The
second kanji 輝 means something like "brightness". If you do a Google Image
search for 椿輝, you will see many pictures of Kureha. However, if you do a
Google Image search for 椿, you will see many pictures of the Tsubaki flower.
Its scientific name is "Camellia japonica". If you look around Kureha's house,
you will notice many tsubakis all over the place. Also, there is a picture of a
tsubaki painted on the bottom-front of the wood part of Kureha's hunting rifle.

WOW you did a great search (is this the right word?), thank you xD
Feb 23, 2015 12:38 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
SaveTheAralSea said:
God damn cliffhanger...what did Lulu say about Ginko and Sumika? I thought Mitsuko was the one who ate Sumika?

She did. There is just something else that Ginko did to Sumika, it was the topic of the last 20 seconds (unheard cause of thunder).
Feb 23, 2015 1:25 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Just as most of us guessed, principal Yuriika was the one that ate Kureha's mom, Reia. She got overly sentimental over their relationship and couldn't stand seeing Reia giving her love to someone else than her, even if it was her own child Kureha or Ginko for that matter.

What the hell did Lulu say that changed Kureha's mind instantly? I can only imagine she revealed that Ginko was a witness to Sumika's death and could've prevented it from happening. Even so, I really hope Kureha didn't shoot Ginko. :O

Very good episode! I think Funimation messed up the subbing in Yuriika's monologue in the beginning when she was talking about the previous principal. That was definitely a woman and they used the pronoun "he" instead. *Sigh..

Feb 23, 2015 1:28 PM
Dec 2012
Ginko sin is an easy one. They can only eat invisible girls then why did she not eat the head bear of the invisible storm before sumika got eaten.

simple she wanted her for herself.
the school is full of boxed unwanted bears due to the principal so i see alot of Bear shock in the future.
Feb 23, 2015 1:28 PM

Sep 2013
HOLY CRAP! THERE WAS A GUY IN THE SCHOOL! What happened to them all? o.O

A lot of the stuff this episode was pretty predictable. The presentation made it special though.

I liked Yuriika's backdrop. It gave a lot of clarity as to what occurred in the past while also fleshing her out more. So she loved Reia but Reia only viewed her as a friend, thus eventually had a child to which Yuriika dealt with overwhelming grief because.. I assume by "sullied" it means "pure" and because Reia has more than 1 love, she is no longer pure?

Casting aside another's love so easily as well, even though Reia likely called it a "love charm" because it was given to her by someone she cared about a lot. Again though, the use of "friend" and "love" almost appear interchangeable in this series. Though this time around they made a clear distinction that Yuriika and Reia's love was different.

Have to wonder what information Lulu gave that would make Kureha do such a 180 on her decision. It wasn't that Ginko killed her because Ginko would have reacted to that sort of information. Maybe that Ginko and Sumika were lovers at some point? No, there was no time for them to meet and be together... Family? No.. I don't think Kureha would behave that way if that was the case... Maybe it was because Ginko didn't save Sumika? That's probably it. Either way, we'll find out next week.
Feb 23, 2015 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
Feel sorry for the principal; boxing things up is scary; love the dark tones near the end

9/10
Feb 23, 2015 2:26 PM

Oct 2014
That damn cliffhanger in the end! It really is a pain now to wait for the next episode... DX
Holy Madoka! The Yuri is strong here!

My Anime List
Feb 23, 2015 2:37 PM

May 2013
Well... this was quite the episode this week.

I expected everything about principal Yuriika, her background was really really interesting and her young self looked quite cute. It's sad that Reia didn't return her feelings, but she didn't properly voice them at all... Poor her. Still that's not a good excuse to kill her lol. Jealousy can be way too problematic.

It was interesting how they potrayed the possessiveness side of love in two diffrenet forms; Yuriika's form (taking all of the other person and making it only yours) and Ginko's form (Yearning and desire to be with the other even if you may hurt the other person in the process). Yuriika is more forceful while Ginko does whatever it takes to be with Kureha.

BUT THAT CLIFFHANGER! Oh gooood. Am I the only one who thinks that maybe Sumika and Ginko could have actually interacted with each other? Maybe the friend of whom Sumika talks about to Kureha is actually Ginko... Probably not but it just came to my mind lol.

That angry look on Kureha's face after Lulu said... whatever the hell she said was so intense. The hurt look was also good. The principal definetely sent the letter expecting Lulu or Kureha to read it, not Ginko >:/. Still, Ginko is still at fault since she most probably let Sumika die when she had the opportunity of saving her... or something like that. Since she wanted to have Kureha for herself, and Sumika was in the way, that is the first thing that came to my mind. That or she somehow lead Sumika to her death... maybe

Next week will be good if it comes with answers :OO
Feb 23, 2015 3:33 PM

Jul 2012
Wow! There was a lot in this episode! I'm glad that we finally got some long-hoped-for answers. I felt so sad for Yuriika. :( I thought it was interesting that, in contrast to Lulu's and Ginko's backstories being narrated by Life Sexy, Yuriika narrated her own.

Another thing that caught my attention was the clicking of his high heels. It reminded me of how Dorothy clicks her ruby slippers in The Wizard of Oz to go home from a far-off place. I'm not too sure of myself here, but the clicking of the high heels could represent "going home" in the figurative sense of "home" being what you grew up with and are familiar with, and the "far-off place" is the bear values that are instinctual to Yuriika (because she's a bear) but that are far removed from the pure world of the humans. The man who finds Yuriika clicks his heels just before teaching her the values that she would come to internalize as she grew up, and then when he "appears" (in quotes because I think it's just figurative and in Yuriika's head this second time) the second time when Yuriika gives up on the love she found after unboxing herself and returns to her previous worldview.

Shaniyaz said:
Very good episode! I think Funimation messed up the subbing in Yuriika's monologue in the beginning when she was talking about the previous principal. That was definitely a woman and they used the pronoun "he" instead. *Sigh..

I don't know very much Japanese at all, so this may be completely incorrect (and if anyone does know a lot of Japanese, please correct me if I'm wrong), but the sentence Yuriika says is "Sore ga kare to mo de ai" (I could be dividing up the syllables incorrectly). If I'm right, "Kare" means "he/him". Though, he does look like a woman. Could that mean that Kaoru was also technically a boy?

Zetsubo667 said:
So it ends on quite a cliff-hanger but with Yuriika being revealed so soon is she really going to be the final opponent with 4 more episodes still to go?

That's what I was thinking as well. There may still be some final confrontation with Yuriika since this episode ended on a cliffhanger, but I also wonder if there will be some incident with the bear court.

CookingPriest said:
Also more proof to my "the bear and human world we see is representation of Kureha's perception of reality warped by some event and the bear court is her subconscious in conflict with itself"

I'm not saying I completely disagree with your interpretation of the bear court as Kureha's subconscious, as I think it makes a lot of sense for Kureha, but how does it explain the variation of instances in the bear court? Different bears go before the court for different reasons. At first it's just Ginko and Lulu on trial, and then we have Lulu, and later Yuriika, going before the court to be allowed to become human. By episode 4, Kureha doesn't know Lulu is a bear, and she still doesn't know Yuriika is a bear. It also doesn't seem to account for the court approving everything. Do you think the court could more generally represent the subconscious of the person or people who are going before it to get permission for something? That would explain why people/bears who Kureha doesn't know are bears are going before the court, and also why the court seems to approve everything (if a person's in conflict over something they feel very strongly about, they'll generally let themselves go in that direction). The other thing is that Kureha herself has never actually gone before the court.

Something else I just thought of, but will have to go back and check to see if I'm remembering it correctly, is that (I think?) the court only happens when there's a major turning point for a character that requires them to make a big, life-changing choice (deciding whether or not to kill someone, leaving everything you ever knew behind to follow someone you just met on a long journey, deciding to "box up" your true self forever).

Keten said:
HOLY CRAP! THERE WAS A GUY IN THE SCHOOL! What happened to them all? o.O

I wonder if the fact that everyone (even the men) looks like women is a perception thing. Like, all the male characters we see that are clearly shown to be male are those who are important in some way or other to the characters. In Lulu's case, it was her dad and brother. In Ginko's case, the father of the family she was looking at through the window was shown as male because that kind of family is something she desperately wanted but didn't have.

In Yuriika's case, the man is shown as a woman because he's not that important to Yuriika. The thing with that, though, is that she was happy that he found her because it made her feel wanted, so why isn't he shown as a man? I wonder if it's because the story is told in past tense, as Yuriika remembering it, and as she is now, the man who found her isn't as important to her as he was back then.

As far as the Judgmen go, the reason they're men (even if they represent womens' subconscious) could be because the values they judge people based on are from a patriarchal society, just because for hundreds and hundreds of years society was dominated by men.

Keten said:
I assume by "sullied" it means "pure" and because Reia has more than 1 love, she is no longer pure?

Well, as you mentioned, Reia's love for Yuriika was different than her love for whoever Kureha's father is, so I don't think it has to do with having more than one person she loved, especially because she loved them differently. I mean, it does, because Yuriika was jealous, but what I mean is that it doesn't have to do with being sullied or pure. Really, I think the whole pure/sullied thing (combined with the box metaphor) is described in those terms because it's indicative of Yuriika's upbringing and the values she internalized from the man who found and raised her.

Asria_Y said:
The principal definetely sent the letter expecting Lulu or Kureha to read it, not Ginko >:/.

I'm kinda wondering if it was the Judgmens. The way they've been presented in the past couple episodes really leads me to think they may be up to something.

okanagan said:

Do you think it's reasonable to take the quote (and variations of it) as meaning something like "Keep trying. Even if you try and fail again and again, countless times, you will eventually succeed, simply due to chance."? On the one hand, it's empowering, and lauds persistence, which fits in with what the show has been saying about not giving up on love.

On the other hand, though, it seems to say that it's not really anything particular on the part of the person trying (even persistence) that enabled them to succeed. They didn't succeed because of some special ability or inherent quality or virtue. They could have succeeded immediately. They're just unlucky that they haven't succeeded yet, and then got lucky later on because they didn't continue to fail. I wonder if it's a criticism of ideas of destiny and pre-ordained things. I feel like I'm stretching for this, but at the same time it also seems like it could make sense given all the stuff about Promise Kisses and fairy tales that seems to say that those kinds of destined or pre-ordained ideas about love aren't reality.
SejinFeb 23, 2015 3:51 PM
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 23, 2015 3:52 PM

Jul 2007
Sejin said:

CookingPriest said:
Also more proof to my "the bear and human world we see is representation of Kureha's perception of reality warped by some event and the bear court is her subconscious in conflict with itself"

I'm not saying I completely disagree with your interpretation of the bear court as Kureha's subconscious, as I think it makes a lot of sense for Kureha, but how does it explain the variation of instances in the bear court? Different bears go before the court for different reasons. At first it's just Ginko and Lulu on trial, and then we have Lulu, and later Yuriika, going before the court to be allowed to become human. By episode 4, Kureha doesn't know Lulu is a bear, and she still doesn't know Yuriika is a bear. It also doesn't seem to account for the court approving everything. Do you think the court could more generally represent the subconscious of the person or people who are going before it to get permission for something? That would explain why people/bears who Kureha doesn't know are bears are going before the court, and also why the court seems to approve everything (if a person's in conflict over something they feel very strongly about, they'll generally let themselves go in that direction).

Something else I just thought of, but will have to go back and check to see if I'm remembering it correctly, is that (I think?) the court only happens when there's a major turning point for a character that requires them to make a big, life-changing choice (deciding whether or not to kill someone, leaving everything you ever knew behind to follow someone you just met on a long journey, deciding to "box up" your true self forever).

And yet all of the cases of Judgemens so far has somthing to do with Kureha(even in Ginko's flashback it is about going to see Kureha and with Yuriika's case it has to do with Kureha's mother).

We do not see trial for Lulu and her brother, after all.

We do not know what parts of that perception means and what Kureha "knows" and what she has rejected(ex: she forgot Ginko).

I am not saying we are seeing the world through Kureha's eyes. I am saying the world is colored by Kureha's perception of it(ex: Vanishing of Ethan Carter). What characters do, what we see etc, is how Kureha would see it.

It also can be Kureha's perception LITERALLY reshaping reality because that was a big theme in Utena too.

Everything that happens around her is shaped by her internal conflict(in form of one member of the judgemens always disagreeing and the other always agreeing).

For all we know all that we see is as perceived by Ginko and Kureha while standing in front of the mirror upon that decision to paraphrase the storybook.

And the moment Kureha resolves her conflict, that perception will change, changing reality and how the viewer sees it:

That scene is even more important because Kureha is daydreaming about things she could not possibly known
Feb 23, 2015 4:05 PM

May 2014
Really liked this episode. It got really tense once they all got on the roof.
I already liked this series from the beginning but now I'm really into it.
Feb 23, 2015 4:11 PM

Oct 2012
Sejin said:
Do you think it's reasonable to take the quote (and variations of
it) as meaning something like "Keep trying. Even if you try and
fail again and again, countless times, you will eventually succeed,
simply due to chance." On the one hand, it's empowering, and lauds
persistence, which fits in with what the show has been saying about
not giving up on love. On the other hand, though, it seems to say
that it's not really anything particular on the part of the person
trying (even persistence) that enabled them to succeed. They didn't
succeed because of some special ability or inherent quality or virtue.
They just got lucky.

Agreed. I think it is a very common-sense thing. Success through persistence.

Clearly this is some kind of Tsubaki family tradition. Based on its model, the
Remington Model 7400, Kureha's hunting rifle, is at least 11 years old, since
that is when they stopped making the Model 7400 in 2004. It was replaced with
the slightly-improved Model 750 which looks exactly the same. So my point is
that Kureha didn't buy that hunting rifle at Walmart. Almost certainly, some
other family member bought it when Kureha was a little girl. Given her wealthy
surroundings, it is inconceivable that Kureha would have bought an old used
hunting rifle. Note also that the Tsubaki family flower crest was very carefully
painted on it. So it isn't just some abandoned gun picked up on the battlefield.

On the other hand, a converse philosophy is the Japanese proverb which translates
roughly as "One Shot One Kill". The Japanese version is "ichigeki hissatsu" which
is written in kanji as 一撃必殺. It comes up moderately often in anime series such
as "Sabagebu!" (2014). Given Kureha's evident level of talent at firing her gun,
she is lucky that she has a more practical family motto. The Tsubaki family lacks
talent as warriors, but they keep shooting randomly anyways.

Sejin said:
I wonder if it's a criticism of ideas of destiny and preordained things. I
feel like I'm stretching for this, but at the same time it also seems like
it could make sense given all the stuff about Promise Kisses and fairy
tales that seems to say that those kinds of destined or preordained
ideas about love aren't reality.

The more I watch this series, the more I realize that everything means something
and nothing means nothing. This seems to be one of Ikuhara's axioms. It's like
the "Chekhov's gun" dramatic principle that says that if, in a stage play, there is a
gun hanging on the wall, it must be used at some point in the story.
okanaganFeb 23, 2015 4:17 PM
Feb 23, 2015 4:26 PM

Jul 2012
I'm honestly pretty ignorant when it comes to sexual stuff, and I don't know or use much slang in general, so I didn't even think of this until seeing it elsewhere.

@CookingPriest: Good points, thanks! I'll have to give this some more thought.

okanagan said:
The more I watch this series, the more I realize that everything means something
and nothing means nothing. This seems to be one of Ikuhara's axioms. It's like
the "Chekhov's gun" dramatic principle that says that if, in a stage play, there is a
gun hanging on the wall, it must be used at some point in the story.

Yeah, that's been my general mentality for the entire show so far. The hard part is figuring out what stuff means. And I'm not well read at all, so a lot of stuff is probably going way over my head without me even realizing it.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 23, 2015 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
Damn! how the hell am i supposed to wait another week after that cliffhanger!?
Feb 23, 2015 5:05 PM

Oct 2012
@Sejin:

Yes, "box" does mean "vagina" in Japanese. So it really is possible that Ikuhara
has this in mind.

After some Googling, I found this blog from 2011:

http://www.yomidr.yomiuri.co.jp/page.jsp?id=45451

Its title is "Michiko-san's Sex Cram School". Michiko-san the author is 84 years old.

It includes the following very short paragraph which includes the word "box" along
with the Japanese word for "box", "hako" (箱), along with 膣 which is a polite word
meaning "vagina".

海外なら、箱(BOX)など隠語クラス。
I have a box!
そうだね!妙に納得。膣の事かな?
箱には何を入れましょう?

I don't want to translate it. But there is no doubt at all that "box" means "vagina".
okanaganFeb 23, 2015 5:20 PM
Feb 23, 2015 5:36 PM
Oct 2012
Zetsubo667 said:
So it turns out Yuriika was a bear after all, as well as the one who killed Kaoru. I'm a little disappointed as I thought it would of been too obvious if she was one, considering everyone so far with Yuri in their name has been one. Its not a bad twist but I was expecting a bit more.

I had bought into your theory last episode, but I am not disappointed because of this episode. Part of why I had switched was because I thought they would be dragging Yurika's exposure out an episode or two later would have been a large disappointment. But now they have cleared the tables, I am excited. Exposing Yurika in episode 8 means that she isn't the big boss, there are 3-5 episodes left (is this an 11, 12 or 13 episode season?) and if the past is any guide Yurika is the one who will get shot next episode. So there is something much much bigger in store. This only bodes well for the future.

In the end, regarding Yurika, my original theory was proven completely true. She did kill the mother, she is punishing Kureha in order to get revenge, this show really is about the destructive nature of love (i.e. lust), and the male bears are not evil but are actually being honest judges between conflicting natures. I am looking forward to seeing how the eventual Ginko/Kureha approval is granted.

Anyway, show is as always, entertaining. Looking forward to next week. We still have Mitsuko out there (even though it seems clear that Yurika ate Kaoru), but I can't envision her being the big boss. I have the feeling we all are missing something.
Feb 23, 2015 5:49 PM
Nov 2013
YES! Everyone called Yuriika being Reia's killer!

The last half of the episode was very intense. I hope Kureha didn't shoot Ginko, but Ginko was more than willing to accept the bullet since it's the 'promise kiss'.

Really excited for the remaining episodes of the series. It went from confusing to really interesting very fast.
Feb 23, 2015 6:03 PM

Jul 2007
Just noticed something strange -

Yuriika's first flashback is "approximately 20 years ago"
Kureha's birth is shown "17 years ago" - and Yuriika and Reia already look ~18-20

Something really does not add up, which lends more credence to my perception theory.
Feb 23, 2015 6:09 PM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
^Court implying they represent Kumalia's will. Kureha=Kumalia?

I don't think that was what was meant. I think it was more equating Kumalia with fate. They had two bears fighting over Kureha, it was up to Kumalia to decide which bear would win.

As for the "invisible storm", I think the revelation that Yurika was the originator of the term and through her manipulation of others (evident in her saying she created a box) was the one who probably created the concept of the invisible storm, is important. Her use of "invisible" predated her meeting Kureha's mother. This moves it out of it being a sexual metaphor and brings us back to "love" (and the flip side, obsession).

Love gives meaning to life, but love can also be destructive when you think that love is about you and not the other person. As Kureha's mother pointed out, putting your loved on in a box is NOT a good thing. Yurika's tragedy is that she has confused love with lust. That was why the pendant meant so much to her. It didn't matter that the mother still loved Yurika, what mattered to Yurika was possessing the item, caging it up so that only she can look at it.
Feb 23, 2015 6:15 PM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
Just noticed something strange -

Yuriika's first flashback is "approximately 20 years ago"
Kureha's birth is shown "17 years ago" - and Yuriika and Reia already look ~18-20

Something really does not add up, which lends more credence to my perception theory.

Yeah, the time line is the real problem, but the confusion is far more than a "this is in Kureha's head" can explain. For instance, we had a flashback where the mother read the book to Kureha, and Kureha had already forgotten about Ginko, and her mother expressed surprise. This episode we were shown that the mother was killed immediately after sending Ginko off.

So the question is how did Kureha forget Ginko if Ginko was still there? There are several things like that in this show that indicates a 3rd person perspective.

I am sure the remaining episodes will deal with it, Sumika has to figure into it as well. There are several more surprises in store. Which of course is what makes this show so delicious.
Feb 23, 2015 6:21 PM

Jul 2007
Yeah somehow I doubt we will ever agree to the message of the show due to different worldviews(or religion?) So I won't bother replying with argumentation that confirms my viewpoint(like the fact that Reia became invisible, confirming my reprogramming school idea, that it is not a term Yuriika invented, that Yuriika did not invent invisible storm and simply manipulated existing concept by manipulating the leader, etc).
AhenshihaelFeb 23, 2015 6:27 PM
Feb 23, 2015 6:30 PM

Dec 2013

Also, I totally agree with CookingPriest's perception theory. Never thought about it that way, so props for figuring it out!
mwsmws22Feb 23, 2015 6:42 PM
Feb 23, 2015 6:38 PM
Sep 2014
So Ginko's love is suicidal. She's still wearing the "love charm" which Reia gives to her. Hopefully, she will survive.

The last couple of scene looks like Lulu tries to tell Kureha something about Ginko. Ginko might or might not let Sumika die, but it doesn't sit well with me that Lulu trusts whatever is written in the letter sent by an anonymous.

Yurika is jealous of Kureha because she thinks Kureha stole Reia's love from her. What about Kureha's father? Reia must have loved him, and had a daughter with him. I don't understand how Yurika couldn't stand seeing Reia giving her love to Kureha, but there's no mention whether or not she hates Kureha's dad.

Good episode. So many questions. lol
Feb 23, 2015 6:38 PM

Feb 2014
Sejin said:
In Yuriika's case, the man is shown as a woman because he's not that important to Yuriika.

#misogyny
But really, I think he's a drag or trans-man.
Feb 23, 2015 6:56 PM
Jun 2013
CookingPriest said:
(remember? The bears can only eat invisible girls).

Then, why Mitsuko liked to eat girls that were no longer invisible?, because she only wanted to eat Sumika and Kureha.
Pd: Sorry for my english
Feb 23, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2012
surfboard_ said:
Sejin said:
In Yuriika's case, the man is shown as a woman because he's not that important to Yuriika.

#misogyny
But really, I think he's a drag or trans-man.

Yeah, that's definitely possible, but it wasn't mentioned one way or the other in the episode, so I didn't think of it.

Also, I don't appreciate you taking what I said completely out of context and using my misrepresented words to insult me. Go back and read what I wrote again. It's clearly in the vein of trying to figure out why there are no men (or at least no men shown as men, if the man in this episode is in drag and/or is trans) on the human side of the wall, and why the men that are shown are those particular men.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 23, 2015 7:04 PM

Oct 2008
Wait, I saw a Yuri Kuma Arashi episode or a Utena episode? Because it feels so... familiar.

It was a good episode, but I think my appreciation to the Ikuhara's works depends on what I think about the characters (mainly the girls), but I don't feel so worried about them like I did in Utena. Only a bit by Ginko, but she is no my favorite stalker girl and certainly not the revolutionary girl.

I hope the final episodes change the situation :(
Feb 23, 2015 7:18 PM
Oct 2012
CookingPriest said:
Yeah somehow I doubt we will ever agree to the message of the show due to different worldviews(or religion?) So I won't bother replying with argumentation that confirms my viewpoint(like the fact that Reia became invisible, confirming my reprogramming school idea, that it is not a term Yuriika invented, that Yuriika did not invent invisible storm and simply manipulated existing concept by manipulating the leader, etc).

As for our disagreement about the meaning of the show, it isn't based on worldview or religion or anything other than I just don't think your theory explains the show; there are too many things that argue against it. I have no intrinsic dislike of your theory, and there has been a time or two when I thought that events were moving in your direction, but ultimately the show never went there.

For example in this episode we learned that Yurika's fear of being invisible dated back to her initial abandonment by her parents and her subsequent abandonment by her surrogate mother/father (the animation used "kare" which is usually associated with males, though I think that the character was female).

Likewise Kumalia was associated with orphans (e.g. Ginko), so again abandonment by the parent seems to be the key. Both Ginko and Yurika were abandoned as children, and there so far has been nothing to suggest that sexuality or social ostracism was the reason for this to happen. Indeed, Lulu is further confirmation that "abandonment" is the issue because she also felt abandoned by her parents because of her younger sibling.

I find it interesting that these are the three bears who have had a hearing before the court (the other ones have not), and in that the Court seems to be associated with Kumalia, this connection is strengthened.

We also learned this episode that there was never anything sexual between Yurika and the mother. The mother reached out to Yurika as a friend and Yurika admitted that she knew from the start that their love was different. So there was no initial rejection or denial, and likewise no social ostracism. The mother never claimed to be other than what she was, and Yurika had no right to expect or demand that she be otherwise. This is why I don't believe this show is focused on "yuri", because if we were to think that, the evidence from the show would suggest that yuri is destructive not constructive.

A brief aside: I have to disagree about Yurika not inventing the invisible storm. I think it was implied when Yurika mentioned that she created a box and they showed the entire school. While the school already existed, there is nothing to indicate that the invisible storm existed. It was Yurika who is obsessed with invisibility, we know that she manipulated the current leader to promote the idea against Kureha, but why should we think that Kaoru was the first she did this to? Yurika had been planning her revenge on Kureha for 10 years, she knew that Kureha and Ginko had a pure relationship and she was jealous of it, so it seems clear she invented the "invisible storm" tradition to use it against Kureha when the time came. Remember she wants to "box" Kureha because she thinks that the mother's love is in her. The invisible storm was meant to ensure that Kureha would not share the love with someone else before the time came to lock that box.

Anyway, back to my point. The bird metaphor was explained this episode. Yurika's concept of love is like a birdcage. She confesses to love the bird, but her actions show that her primary interest is to keep the bird in its cage (or box). Why does the cage bird sing? What other choice does it have? Yurika's jealousy destroyed her one true friendship, is it any wonder that despite "eating" she still feels empty? The perfect quote for Yurika is the old: "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with.”

Most people are afraid to open the birdcage because they have no confidence that the bird will come back, Yurika was such a person. But keeping the birdcage locked isn't love.
Feb 23, 2015 8:12 PM

Jul 2012
Does this look like a hummingbird to anyone else?

I know that the bird is an important symbol in this show, and that the more specific "yurikagome" is an extension of that symbol. The proportions of the bird in this picture make me think of a hummingbird, which would be really interesting in light of some of its symbolism and what that might say about Yuriika. For anyone who's interested, this is what I found about hummingbird symbolism:

http://mara-gamiel.blogspot.com/2009/09/hummingbird-symbolism.html

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/hummingbird-animal-totem.html

http://www.universeofsymbolism.com/hummingbird-meaning.html
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 23, 2015 8:43 PM

Feb 2014
Sejin said:
Yeah, that's definitely possible, but it wasn't mentioned one way or the other in the episode, so I didn't think of it.

I just supposed its a drag because of the heels fascination. But well, its not that uncommon to confuse a guy to a woman. Source: me.
Sejin said:
Also, I don't appreciate you taking what I said completely out of context and using my misrepresented words to insult me. Go back and read what I wrote again. It's clearly in the vein of trying to figure out why there are no men (or at least no men shown as men, if the man in this episode is in drag and/or is trans) on the human side of the wall, and why the men that are shown are those particular men.
Theres no way you can read that phrase and not detect misogyny even if unintended or took out of context. The previous principal brought to Yuriika the very idea of the "box". More than that, she got his habit of boxing things to remain its purity (unsulied if we go by the subs). If he wasn't that important then why its suggested that she put his corpse on the box? (for me its more like a drawer but whatever) In the end, without the previous principal, Yuriika wouldn't know the feeling of love as well the fear of losing it, and met both again in a more intense case with Kureha's mom.
As for the lack of masculine figures in the human side, it might be because we are seeing most things through Kureha's perspective and environment. But behind of it all, we're just under Ikuhara's perception of it, and you know about his huge fascination towards the female being.
An no, what you said wasn't clearly in the "vein of trying to figure out..." as you quickly started to wonder why only the manly figures that appear are the ones really important to each character. Regarding "no men shown as men, if the man in this episode is in drag and/or is trans", we're in 2015, the "man" figure is literally in question and its anything but absolute right now. Not even the Court are exactly what you can call a "Man", following this perspective of masculinity
Sejin said:
As far as the Judgmen go, the reason they're men (even if they represent womens' subconscious) could be because the values they judge people based on are from a patriarchal society, just because for hundreds and hundreds of years society was dominated by men.
I think its more like a metaphor than actually being it. There was no human in the trial so far and the court sessions weren't particularly hitting in anything specific to the patriarchal society (unless I overlook something). It could be more like what CookingPriest talks over and over about class S otakus, but I'm no sommelier on this to talk further.

Hope I made myself clear with this (:
Feb 23, 2015 9:46 PM

Jun 2014
WHAT A FUCKING COP OUT.
I HATE IT WHEN SHOWS DO THIS SHIT.
RANDOM LOUD NOISE BLOCKING OUT THE MOST IMPORTANT WORDS.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

161 by zoluer »»
Aug 9, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.