Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 1:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was fun with the case still.

Poor Miyuki ;.;
Decent episode again. The plot thickens with the tattoo. That was actually a pretty intense episode too. Hell, even the ambulance sirens are roaring.
Apr 12, 2014 4:08 AM

May 2012
Lol @ the bomb and if it's a murder and not a suicide then there is only 1 killer around. . .
Apr 12, 2014 4:09 AM

Apr 2008
Can't wait for the next episode. This was a good episode.
Apr 12, 2014 5:00 AM

Aug 2013
Something about this Anime just isn't working for me. I'll give it a few more episode to see how the case develops.
Apr 12, 2014 6:02 AM

May 2013
Ok, the first episode of this anime was decent and did a good job setting up the case, but this episode...I don't know, at times it was borderline terrible.

First off, I think the creators of the anime made the wrong choice picking this case as the case to start off with. It barely introduces the core cast, and gives no reason for the audience to care about these characters or about what happens to them, especially if you're a newcomer to Kindaichi. More so, the characters and their interactions are unbelievably bland. Outside of the case, which isn't especially interesting, there is no incentive to watch. I'm struggling to even come up with a list of two character traits for the leads, which is not good. Kindaichi especially lacks any kind of distinctive character trait. I'm not asking for fully-realized characters from the second episode, I just want characters that have even the most remote signs of personality and who are not as boring as cardboard when on the screen.

I couldn't get into the story this episode because it all felt incredibly sloppy. The investigation itself was fine, and the way they traced the clues and tracked down Miyuki's location was pretty good, but otherwise everything felt awkwardly placed together, with utterly haphazard pacing. New case characters are introduced randomly, tidbits of information are dropped all over the place, two other people died abruptly with little buildup, etc. The list goes on. It didn't feel put together well.

Finally, the actions of the characters themselves didn't work. Kindaichi was incredibly calm throughout the entire episode despite the fact that Miyuki had been kidnapped and whose fate could have been much worse than what happened in the end. Also, why did Kindaichi allow Ran to wonder around when he knew that she might be targeted? In the end, when Kindaichi finds Miyuki he freaks out and thinks she's dead...why doesn't he just check her pulse then, before he jumps to the conclusion that she might be gone? Also, the soundtrack for the anime is lacking; music can add a lot to a scene, and what we have here utterly fails at establishing any kind of tension or excitement.

I kind of ranted there, but this episode really did frustrate me. Hopefully next episode picks up the pace again and lives up to the promise of the premiere.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Apr 12, 2014 6:04 AM
Aug 2013
This episode was just okay, not very inspired. I hope it picks up, because I love detective stories.
Apr 12, 2014 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
MrAM said:
Ok, the first episode of this anime was decent and did a good job setting up the case, but this episode...I don't know, at times it was borderline terrible.

First off, I think the creators of the anime made the wrong choice picking this case as the case to start off with. It barely introduces the core cast, and gives no reason for the audience to care about these characters or about what happens to them, especially if you're a newcomer to Kindaichi.

First, you need to think that in Japan, Kindaichi is already know by everyone. Glad I watch the old series. They only adapt new case from of manga.
Secondley, this is a sequel to the old series,
Thirdly, there are 63 episodes with english sub. If you want know the character, watch the older series first. A twenties would be ok too.
KiraYoshikageApr 12, 2014 6:31 AM
Apr 12, 2014 7:35 AM
Aug 2011
Well , this episode , was alright but a bit boring tho , since the first one got me excited , but i got bored on the second one , all thoses crimes happens one after one to fast and you don't feel suspense , or danger , i'm kinda dissapointed about that , and also I thought kindaichi would be as fast and as actif as Conan would be , but he is really slow , also even the other character are not surprised when the crime take place in front of 'em , there's a real miss of something , i would say that i feel like it centers more on kindaichi then about the case itself so it's not really interesting..

Though , i hope the episode 3 will be better , since i'm a big fan of detective series
Apr 12, 2014 7:48 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Investigation resumes.

A little backstory of the Dragon Eyes.

Kindaichi's deduction about people with "-ryu in their name belonging to Kowloon Palace was quite sharp.

Kim Long, Li and Ran are all siblings; having the same dad, Wang Long..

So, the "Poison Dragon" is actually a powerful bomb.

The way they found the location of the bomb from the camera and the map was genius!

Ivy commits suicide is murdered the same way as Chan and Shin..

At least Miyuki is saved. :)
Kindaichi's resolve is strong; to unmask the identity of the Poison Dragon.

Next episode:

Apr 12, 2014 9:47 AM

Jul 2010
Well I missed a tantei-show in my schedule, and this works just fine.
Apr 12, 2014 10:58 AM

Jul 2013
Everything was so rushed >.<

I'm not sure what the purpose of restarting the series if they're not gonna improve the quality. It's 2014, this kind of sloppy animation is unacceptable. I wish they had replaced the voice actors too, they just sound too awkward/old. Coupled that with horrible pacing & messy cutting/editing it's almost unbearable to watch. Couldn't they at least do it like a standard D. Conan episode?
Apr 12, 2014 12:20 PM

Jun 2012
I'm guessing the doku ryu is Ran. She gave a perfect description of Ivy and we saw her hand was in bandages. Now it all depends on Ivy's time of death. Also I'm guessing she worked with Long, he probably dressed up in the red coat and ran to the building they killed Ivy in.
Apr 12, 2014 2:55 PM
Jan 2013
Geez, man these Japs are taking their issue with China too seriously that they used a detective from Taiwan to do the investigating instead of a detective from Hong Kong.
Apr 12, 2014 7:11 PM
Sep 2011
"Only the highest reaches of government know what I'm about to tell you. If it leaks, panic will spread through Hong Kong. Don't tell anyone else, under any circumstances."

Tells them everything while being recorded on camera. I laughed out loud at that part.

I have always enjoyed detective animes, so I am still going to watch it even if that one part was a little silly.
Apr 13, 2014 3:13 AM

Oct 2010
Baddie007 said:
Geez, man these Japs are taking their issue with China too seriously that they used a detective from Taiwan to do the investigating instead of a detective from Hong Kong.

don't think so....jpn is friendly to hk and taiwan but detest china...

jiraiya_sensei said:
Everything was so rushed >.<

I'm not sure what the purpose of restarting the series if they're not gonna improve the quality. It's 2014, this kind of sloppy animation is unacceptable. I wish they had replaced the voice actors too, they just sound too awkward/old. Coupled that with horrible pacing & messy cutting/editing it's almost unbearable to watch. Couldn't they at least do it like a standard D. Conan episode?

well agree with the sloppy animation even compare to the old one....but i think the seiyuu is ok...afterall Kindaichi fans had watch 100+ ep of kindaichi with those seiyuu and aleady used to it..
Signature Removed
Apr 13, 2014 8:27 AM

Oct 2013
1. Dat quality animation
2. Dat convenient coincident
3. Dat thrill from hoping the episode ends soon

Bonus point:
1. Let's have a ride in the middle of the night with total stranger
2. I'm so telling you our country biggest secret
3. Pink scale? hmm..*ring ring* "moshi moshi, miyuki dessu~, something about pink dolphin, lol."

2/10
Drop the case!!
Toaki90Apr 13, 2014 9:30 AM
"Burn the heretics"
Apr 13, 2014 7:11 PM

May 2012
6/10 for the episode. The animation's still bad.
7/10 for the ED.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 14, 2014 2:55 AM

Feb 2011
Will keep watching, this is pretty fun so far.
Apr 14, 2014 8:23 AM

Feb 2013
I'm going to watch this till the end I guess, because I love Kindaichi too much and I miss it terribly. Not really comfortable with the animation (and I just realized this after watching the 2nd episode) and it really is a bit awkward and unnatural all over as well but still.. I hope it will improve in the near future. The case is quite interesting, so bring on the next episode!
Apr 14, 2014 8:40 AM

Oct 2013
jaqenhghar said:
I'm going to watch this till the end I guess, because I love Kindaichi too much and I miss it terribly. Not really comfortable with the animation (and I just realized this after watching the 2nd episode) and it really is a bit awkward and unnatural all over as well but still.. I hope it will improve in the near future. The case is quite interesting, so bring on the next episode!
C'mon..
It was produced by Toei animation
they outsourced their job to some underpaid child labor from 3rd world country with terrible working condition
So, don't expect the animation quality would improve
"Burn the heretics"
Apr 14, 2014 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
Seriousti said:
Something about this Anime just isn't working for me. I'll give it a few more episode to see how the case develops.

I'm feeling the same way. All of the characters feel so flat
Apr 14, 2014 10:10 PM

Feb 2013
Toaki90 said:
jaqenhghar said:
C'mon..
It was produced by Toei animation
they outsourced their job to some underpaid child labor from 3rd world country with terrible working condition
So, don't expect the animation quality would improve

Really? I have no idea about that. Oh well..
Apr 16, 2014 3:04 AM

Aug 2012
KiraYoshikage said:
MrAM said:

First off, I think the creators of the anime made the wrong choice picking this case as the case to start off with. It barely introduces the core cast, and gives no reason for the audience to care about these characters or about what happens to them, especially if you're a newcomer to Kindaichi.

First, you need to think that in Japan, Kindaichi is already know by everyone. Glad I watch the old series. They only adapt new case from of manga.
Secondley, this is a sequel to the old series,
Thirdly, there are 63 episodes with english sub. If you want know the character, watch the older series first. A twenties would be ok too.

Thing is, for all the episodes I've seen of Detective Conan/Case Closed (around seventy or so [my list doesn't account for this due to the fact I've only seen 57 in sequential order]) every one of them does a good job of establishing the characters if you're new to the series. The first episode I saw sure as hell wasn't the first one, it was the second part to a case on a ship. Even missing the first episode in that part, what I saw gave me a view on Shinichi/Jimmy/Conan. It showed off his personality well & managed to give me enough incentive to watch later episodes. The case itself was quite good too.

While I brought up in the last episode discussion that I feel I made a mistake jumping into this series first because without the emotional attachment to the characters it made it hard for me to invest in the case and that episode didn't provide any reason to get attached to them. But still, I know you don't have to see the series origins to be able to get a good grasp on the characters.

Truthfully, I echo a lot of the sentiments expressed by MrAM but Kindaichi seemingly taking the whole kidnapping Miyuki thing in stride particular. Until the conclusion, he didn't seem that concerned over it and had he been, I think I would've enjoyed the episode much more because it would've provided something for me to sink into. I wasn't able to care about Miyuki being found because it didn't really come across that Kindaichi did.

To put succinctly, it didn't feel like Kindaichi was dealing with a case that personally afflicted him instead it felt like he was dealing with a regular case where he was detached from the all the people involved.

Of course, it the plotting was any better I'd be more forgiving
Apr 19, 2014 6:50 AM

Jul 2013
People that are new to "Kindaichi" are somehow paying the price of the fact that the previous installations of the franchise never got an english translation. In Japan Kindaichi is a popular show so the viewers are already emotionally attached to its characters (unlike majority of western viewers). And bear in mind that "Kindaichi Returns" is a sequel and not a remake of the existing anime. Characterization, relationship charts, and some of the best cases have already been covered in the previous seasons (we are talking about 4seasons=148episodes , 3 tv specials , 2 movies and 2 ovas). That's not to say that this season isn't able to attract new viewers, but people should practice some patience especially when cases are rarely episodic.

My personal advice (if you are a total newbie to this show) is to watch at least some of the older episodes that got translated. Here are the ones I recommend: 1-3 (the beginning) 7-9 (Akechi's introduction) 18-20 (a personal favorite) 24-27 (best translated arc) 33-36 (Kindaichi's archenemy is introduced) 37-39 (average case, but Miyuki's love rival -Hayami Reika- is introduced).

Also, on a final note. I saw people complaining about jerky animation. That's because Kindaichi airs at 29.970fps so if you watch it at 23.976fps it's only natural you'll get jerky movement.
Apr 27, 2014 8:26 AM

Mar 2012
Hetakoi said:
People that are new to "Kindaichi" are somehow paying the price of the fact that the previous installations of the franchise never got an english translation. In Japan Kindaichi is a popular show so the viewers are already emotionally attached to its characters (unlike majority of western viewers). And bear in mind that "Kindaichi Returns" is a sequel and not a remake of the existing anime. Characterization, relationship charts, and some of the best cases have already been covered in the previous seasons (we are talking about 4seasons=148episodes , 3 tv specials , 2 movies and 2 ovas). That's not to say that this season isn't able to attract new viewers, but people should practice some patience especially when cases are rarely episodic.

My personal advice (if you are a total newbie to this show) is to watch at least some of the older episodes that got translated. Here are the ones I recommend: 1-3 (the beginning) 7-9 (Akechi's introduction) 18-20 (a personal favorite) 24-27 (best translated arc) 33-36 (Kindaichi's archenemy is introduced) 37-39 (average case, but Miyuki's love rival -Hayami Reika- is introduced).

Also, on a final note. I saw people complaining about jerky animation. That's because Kindaichi airs at 29.970fps so if you watch it at 23.976fps it's only natural you'll get jerky movement.

So, is there any way to watch it smoothly? I'm using CCCP btw..
Keep moving forward
May 3, 2014 9:39 AM

Jul 2013
GenT-san said:
So, is there any way to watch it smoothly? I'm using CCCP btw..

The thing is the issue lies with the encoding, therefore the best you could do is grab yourself a release encoded at correct fps.

Now, if you want a decoding solution for a wrong fps encode, you can make use of the "enable smooth motion" option in madVR. Just keep in mind that it requires GPU resources.
Jul 15, 2023 10:13 PM

Oct 2018
Quite a lot happened in the episode. If Ivy was killed in the room, weird how nobody questioned about the killer, unless killed somewhere else but brought here. There could also be the situation with Ran baiting and switching with Miyuki.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

21 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jul 21, 2023 2:31 PM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

12 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jul 21, 2023 2:26 PM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

14 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jul 21, 2023 1:39 PM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

18 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jul 21, 2023 1:11 PM

Poll: » Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

17 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jul 21, 2023 1:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.