Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 24, 2014 7:39 PM

Sep 2013
So many more deaths :( this is war at it's worst/finest, the only students that didn't die were the ground troops Ari and Kal-el.

That Seagull fight was freaking amazing.

Good there will be a memorial service next episode and the truth will be revealed to Kal-el :O
Feb 24, 2014 7:39 PM

May 2008
Those Death GG
Feb 24, 2014 7:48 PM

Apr 2013
That was the dumbest battle I've ever seen. How were the students in the recon planes taking down those fighters with single rifle shots? Why were the fighters so horribly inaccurate? How about that moment where Kal-el and Ariel's plane gets hit dead on with several rounds of machine-gun fire that just magically do no damage whatsoever? And when Ari popped back up and took down the Silver Fox fighter with one rifle shot. Please. What a bunch of bullshit. Those rifles wouldn't do nearly as much damage as the large-caliber bullets from the fighters. It's like the writer didn't do any research on dogfights at all and just made everything up as he went along.
Feb 24, 2014 7:52 PM

Jul 2012
Well, that was a fast episode, but realistically speaking this is ludicrous.

Taking down planes with rifles and Kal-el's plane somehow enduring that barrage while the others just explode. Yeah, okay.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Feb 24, 2014 8:06 PM

Apr 2008
Aren't the Zero also manouver great in exchange of weak protection ?
Like the plane's designers just told the pilot trainers, "stupid armour ? Well, don't get hit and you'll be fine"

Not so surprised with killing the characters, but didn't expect culling it down to 4+4 recruits.
Feb 24, 2014 8:28 PM

Jun 2012
Stark700 said:
Matheine said:
was that Charles Karino? (from Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku) (Blue fighter Seagull)
They also mentioned Fana Levamme (Juana del Moral??)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. There could be a possibility.

Yes it's indeed Juana from "Tsuioku". I too thought about Charles when I saw the fighter. It would be a nice to see him again after the event of the film
My friend was disapointed to see no real connection between the series and the film, so he'll be glad to see this.

Well, for Barbarians, they actually wrecked Isla quite nicely. Must say that I wasn't expecting that many casualties. And by that many casualties, I mean killing 80% of the cast! (this number is completely arbitrary)
TynkerFeb 24, 2014 8:37 PM
Feb 24, 2014 8:41 PM

Nov 2008
Rather disappointed at this episode. The plot armor too strong. The ridiculousness of the dogfight. The overflow of deaths makes it seem like they just tossing out trash... Who the heck fight a dogfight with bolt-action rifles =.=
Feb 24, 2014 9:22 PM
Jul 2013
...Did not expect that many death, Fausto died way earlier than expected though I knew Wolf is going to die. Lucky for Kal-el and Ari that they survived thanks to the mysterious blue seagull (based on what you guys are talking about, that plane seems to be involved in the movie prequel).

Reaction on the episode preview: "Your Name", wait, is she going to say her real name. Ignacio, don't go yet. Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to wait till next week
Feb 24, 2014 9:42 PM

Jan 2011
mezzo12 said:
billybob300c said:

3. I have respect for series that kill off their characters.
8/10

am with u in that.

this episode was 100% great , but am exited to know more about Fana Levamme.
one of the best episodes so far
Feb 24, 2014 10:02 PM

Aug 2009
Hannah_Ana said:
That flight school is RATCHET AS HELL!!! I still cannot believe that they sent trainees into the midst of battle with shitty planes and shot guns to go up against seasoned pilots with planes made of real steel and automatic weapons. They should be sued, lose their accredidation, and shut down!

So many deaths this episode...

Sent with Mal Updater
MotRin said:
Rather disappointed at this episode. The plot armor too strong. The ridiculousness of the dogfight. The overflow of deaths makes it seem like they just tossing out trash... Who the heck fight a dogfight with bolt-action rifles =.=

This. I was just about to talk about how unrealistic this was, but there was no need. and also why did they send trainees? and children at that!? the whole time I was awaiting for some actual soldiers or older pilots who are experienced in war to show up, but they never came. I really don't get it, why kill the children off when they are to grow up and become your next forces? why waste their lives so prematurely? It utterly pissed me off to no end. so me and this episode have a serious problem :/

Feb 24, 2014 10:50 PM

Apr 2011
AsherFischell said:
That was the dumbest battle I've ever seen. How were the students in the recon planes taking down those fighters with single rifle shots? Why were the fighters so horribly inaccurate? How about that moment where Kal-el and Ariel's plane gets hit dead on with several rounds of machine-gun fire that just magically do no damage whatsoever? And when Ari popped back up and took down the Silver Fox fighter with one rifle shot. Please. What a bunch of bullshit. Those rifles wouldn't do nearly as much damage as the large-caliber bullets from the fighters. It's like the writer didn't do any research on dogfights at all and just made everything up as he went along.

Can the enemy fighter actually aim with their weapons ? I thought they can only shoot the way the plane was heading and that's why I think the protagonists side have a big advantage because they aren't limited by the angle of the shots and the precision (although the shooters is very exposed)
Feb 24, 2014 11:01 PM

Jul 2008
NOOO, Fausto, you big douche. Just when they started to become bros. lool

SixFlags said:
As sad as it was seeing half of the cast die, the dogfight was just ridiculous... enemy pilots with four machine guns on every plane vs our trainees in old planes with a single rifle?

Come on, they all would've been wiped out without any casualty on the enemy side.

and This.
Feb 24, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2013
I thought Fausto would last a little more longer, was expecting him and Kal to make up but he just has to go down hard, and that was pretty brutal even without the blood.

And that trainee vs regular dogfight. Dunno what Isla was thinking sending their trainees riding old school scout plane and armed with rifles to fight badass fighter planes with machine guns. But got to hand it to those rifles, damn things pack a lot of punch one shot killing those fighter planes. And those fighter planes... must be storm troopers piloting those, they barely hit those stationary planes.

Aside from these, overall the episode is great. The dog fights, land battles and whatnot kept me from turning away from my computer screen, and specially that onii-chan scene at the end, cute Ari is cute XD. Looking forward for the next episode.
Feb 24, 2014 11:24 PM

Sep 2013
Bloody massacre. So many inaccuracies that made me cringe a little. Not saying the battle isn't as what I expected... but I wished those who died actually died better than just in vain.
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Feb 25, 2014 12:17 AM

Dec 2013
....death.....death!....DEATH!!!

OMG how did this anime turn from a romance into a tragedy in two episodes. I understand that this is plane warfare and realistically this is how it goes but to kill off so many characters without really big send offs like mitty had, it just felt so overwhelming. The ending scene with the albus's were cute and touching I guess.
Feb 25, 2014 12:22 AM

Jun 2012
Man... I really thought I was gonna hate this in the beginning. I keep trying to find something wrong with it, but in my eyes it just keeps getting better and better. I'd probably give it a 7 or an 8, at the moment. I really hope they plan on making another season, and not rushing the end or something. It seems to me like they'll make a second season though Never mind, just noticed the novels are finished, well it's only half-way over so I guess we'll just see how it goes.

I do have to say though, this feels like a mix between Battlestar Gallactica and Attack on Titan, only in the skies. Someone may have already said this, but a lot of the students remind me so much of lesser versions (imo) of Shingeki's 104th trainees:
Chiharu = Sasha
Ariel = Mikasa (especially after this episode)
Marco = Marco ("Who?" Exactly.)
Wolfgang = Reiner
Clair = Krista (in more ways than one)
Noriaki = Connie
Fausto = Jean (for about two minutes there)
I guess Ignacio = male Annie (if Sonia wasn't her clone)
...and of course the obvious Kal-el = Eren.

There's a couple more, but those really stand out... there's definitely some striking resemblances among those.

And I like how so many people are saying there was only 3 trainees who died: Wolfgang, Fausto, and Mitty... while forgetting Marco. It just goes to show how minor he was. Of course he was practically a side-thought when Ariel told Wolfgang not to die. Even I had to go back in the episode to figure out his name... since he doesn't have a picture on MAL. (Lol.) :/

Kyuutoryuu said:
God damnit I thought I was watching "The Pilot's Love Song", not "Blue Steel of Arpeggio" >.>

Bring back the romance, enough with this military nonsense already.
Well, it's also called "Love Song of a Certain Pilot"... which could always mean that he's singing alone.

And honestly, it was always hinted from the very beginning that it was going to get darker as the series went on, starting from the very moment Kal-el went from happy to bat-shit-insane/rage mode at the sight of Nina Viento. Not to mention the very opening scene in the series kind of screamed "Military series!!"
HalibelTheEspadaFeb 25, 2014 12:38 AM
Feb 25, 2014 12:41 AM

Jan 2012
I didn't feel anything, its either not enough background story for the once that died for me to know them.
Feb 25, 2014 1:43 AM

Jan 2014
Pretty brutal dogfight they had there and too bad about Wolfgang and Fausto, though their deaths didn't really effect me (same with Mitty).

Also, it looks like Ignacio is competent at something after all.
Feb 25, 2014 2:16 AM

Feb 2012
Wow! They seriously killed off a lot of potentially good characters!!
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Feb 25, 2014 2:52 AM

Apr 2013
Valaskjalf said:
AsherFischell said:

Can the enemy fighter actually aim with their weapons ? I thought they can only shoot the way the plane was heading and that's why I think the protagonists side have a big advantage because they aren't limited by the angle of the shots and the precision (although the shooters is very exposed)

My point is more about the fact that when the students didn't get hit by enemy fire it appeared that the enemy fire was occupying every bit of space BUT the student planes. With the amount of concentrated fire blanketing the area, there's really no way that the students didn't get hit, unless of course they had the device Fortune had in Metal Gear Solid 2.
Feb 25, 2014 3:14 AM

Aug 2013
Edelweiss00 said:

And that trainee vs regular dogfight. Dunno what Isla was thinking sending their trainees riding old school scout plane and armed with rifles to fight badass fighter planes with machine guns.

I don't think Isla sent the trainees out. Kal and the others were actually ordered to stay grounded but they just couldn't stand by and watch so they set out on their own. The only trainees with official orders to fly were Mitty and Chiharu.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 25, 2014 4:46 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing episode! I love the aerial battles ^^
Quite emotional too... So much death and or injuries and it seems like the next episode is going to be interesting too :o
Feb 25, 2014 6:06 AM

Feb 2013
Wow personally my favorite episode so far. The aerial combat was pretty badass although I really hate the trainees planes, seriously under powered and horribly lacking firepower but whatever. Shocked at all the deaths of the supporting characters ( sad that Wolf died :( liked his character ). I'm glad they didn't fluff it up with everybody having injuries instead of deaths, feels more like a battle/war this way. Also that possible tie from Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku with the Blue Seagull. Loving this series more now.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Feb 25, 2014 6:29 AM

Jul 2008
Edelweiss00 said:
And that trainee vs regular dogfight. Dunno what Isla was thinking sending their trainees riding old school scout plane and armed with rifles to fight badass fighter planes with machine guns. But got to hand it to those rifles, damn things pack a lot of punch one shot killing those fighter planes. And those fighter planes... must be storm troopers piloting those, they barely hit those stationary planes.

Have people seriously forgotten that, up until it was too late, Isla thought that enemy had primitive wooden planes? The whole freaking reason this battle went so bad for them was because the Commander fell for this cheap trick!
In translation: everyone thought it would be walk in the park because enemy had wooden planes, not top-of-tech planes with machineguns.

AsherFischell said:
My point is more about the fact that when the students didn't get hit by enemy fire it appeared that the enemy fire was occupying every bit of space BUT the student planes. With the amount of concentrated fire blanketing the area, there's really no way that the students didn't get hit, unless of course they had the device Fortune had in Metal Gear Solid 2.

This is not some movie with a high budget. Don't expect animators to make a proper adaptation of battles as explained by the book. There is a limit of how realistic something can be when you have a limited budget. I don't know why anyone expected visual quality of battles to be on a high level.
Feb 25, 2014 6:37 AM

Jul 2010
Wow, I didn't think so many people would actually die. I applaud the show for being daring and realistic.

It's real now, folks. It's kind of disheartening - I enjoyed the antics of the first episodes. But I guess that kind of thing can never really last... :(

I understand that the battle was a little messed up; the trainees' planes should have been taken down much easier. But, just take it as it comes, right?
Feb 25, 2014 6:38 AM

Jul 2012
Entertaining, yet horrible fight. Like others have said, it is clearly impossible for still so many students to stay alive. Realistically, with that many shots from the enemy, there would be no Kal-el or Ariel breathing right now :/ But alas, it's good to see some realism when SOME people died.

If anything, I hate how they almost killed off Ariel and then threw a desperate speech from Kal-el to bring her back to life. This anime would have scored serious respect points from me if she just died like that. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate her but it would be cool to have a protag die.

@HalibelTheEspada: Yeah, I've seen some SnK similarities with this show since the first few episodes. Definitely similar characters even if SnK fleshes them out more than this show does.

Also, Ignacio is pretty badass.
Feb 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Dec 2011
Way to kill off half of the cast in a single episode... In a completely realistic, believable and captivating way...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 25, 2014 9:11 AM

Aug 2010
Liked the relationship between the siblings this episode.

So many deaths. Still waiting for the moment Kal el discovers that Clare is Nina.
Feb 25, 2014 9:21 AM
Jun 2013
Stark700 said:
Matheine said:
was that Charles Karino? (from Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku) (Blue fighter Seagull)
They also mentioned Fana Levamme (Juana del Moral??)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. There could be a possibility.

yeah i agree with you too
Feb 25, 2014 10:03 AM

Mar 2013
Nice episode, even though the realism of the fights is... as everyone said before me.

And I liked the moment between Ariel and Kal-el at the end :)
I had actually not realized who voiced her before that. But then I was like "I heard this "Onii-chan" somewhere before..." (Date a Live, OreImo, SAO...)
Feb 25, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2013
nice ep, that seagull pilot was too boss
i think their class is 90% dead tho lol

also i think this series has the most epic names
first nina viento and now FANA LEVAMME! lmao
Feb 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Jul 2013
So many deaths O.o

I seriously hate this show's preview though.. they are spoiling too much. First Mitty's death and now we know Kal's gonna find out who Claire is. Why can't they just keep it to a minimum?
Feb 25, 2014 12:35 PM

Aug 2012
^Seriously. It's a nice teaser I guess, but most people would like to enjoy that surprise in the moment..

Damn I didn't think Fausto would die, that was brutal. At least he got himself a little bit of redemption first.
Feb 25, 2014 3:52 PM

Sep 2013
WOW...

i was not expecting that. Well, for anyone that thinks that isla sent the trainees to fight for them, i think that isla didn't. If you really watch carefully, fausto said that isla is defenseless while his father is not there, so they decided o attack. Dam, i was really starting to like him too and the way he died was brutal. no blood but it was brutal nonetheless.

And that pilot with the seagull insignia, wow he is a badass.

There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Feb 25, 2014 5:08 PM

Jan 2012
This anime make no sense. Its ridiculous to fire bolt action rifle at a diving fighter plane. Its like trying to hit an eagle with a rock. Why are they not equipped with machine guns?
Also its funny that the enemy looks like a ww2 Germans. Their helmets match and weapon looks like mp-40.
ecimirFeb 25, 2014 5:12 PM
Feb 25, 2014 6:39 PM
Dec 2013
INCOMING boring Military BUFF post

After analyzing the military equipment. The enemy faction is running mostly German WW2 technology. Basically it's the German Luftwaffe, with paratroopers.The planes are a mixture of dive bombers(Junkers Ju 87), some kind of concept troop transport and concept experimental strategic bombers. The paratroopers were equipped with Mp40 smgs. The enemy Fighter planes are (BF109s).

The blue plane that rescues them looks to be an British Spitfire.

The AA defenses on the island were using British QF 3.7 inch AA cannons, which are mixed with British Bofors 40mm AA guns. The friendly(ISLA) forces carried British Lee Enfield Bolt Action rifles.

Was getting a lot of Vibes about the similarities between this and the Island of Britain being Bombed by Germany in WW2. Especially the fact that ISLA is an island. And the equipment is mostly German vs British.
Feb 25, 2014 7:24 PM

Aug 2008
Am I the only one irritated by the stupid air combat tactics?

Why didn't the "Germans" just attack from underneath?
Why did the students form a defensive circle ready to be shot down, instead of engaging their enemies in turn fights, in which those harriers are far superior?
Of course, a decent pilot wouldn't dare to go into a turn fight with one of those harriers, but they obviously sucked so it probably would've worked. :P
(Assuming the students could hit their targets with their bolt-action rifles, which is highly unrealistic. Even for a professional.)
TorenoFeb 25, 2014 7:35 PM
Feb 25, 2014 8:45 PM

Jan 2013
Another fantastic episode.
The past 2 have been the best of the series.
Feb 25, 2014 8:46 PM

Oct 2011
Can't contain it anymore AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH EEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH T_____________T

So many people died!!! I lost when it Ari was almost too.

For a moment I thought the others( The one's still on the island) were gonna die. Thankfully Ignacio saved them. But they might die next week T____T

Charles and Fana OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Please stop this war !!!
Feb 25, 2014 9:15 PM

Aug 2013
iAlice said:
Okay,I'm done with this. Too heartbreaking for my weak heart. I really thought Ari died,thanks God.
So,are they planning on killing all the minor characters now and the main left for final? Wow.

Deaths should be expected in a battle, though. It's not like they were shooting flowers at each other....
Feb 25, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm I watched the movie (been on my PTW list for ages) and now I wonder just how big is their world?! When they saw the message from Levamme, it seemed like they didn't even know it existed.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 25, 2014 11:16 PM

Apr 2012
What an intense episode! :D
Feb 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Sep 2012
I'm surprised that their rifles even punctured the enemy fighter's armor. How did they even survive that? The "barbarians" were equipped with sub machine guns for goodness sake.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Feb 26, 2014 2:56 AM
Feb 2009
omg sht rip in pieces so many have died in this episode ...
Feb 26, 2014 7:43 AM

Dec 2013
Wow, awesome dogfight battles! What really bugged me was almost everyone is dead now. Where is this story going. Is everyone else gonna die except Claire and Karl? I really don't know where they're going to go character wise.

Well next episode is the big one. Claire finally tells Karl who she really is. We'll have to wait and see Karl's reaction to this.
Feb 26, 2014 9:03 AM
Feb 2013
Nice to know that Airi is ok.

WTF what kind of air to air combat are those guys from Cadoques High doing, a sitting duck tactic?

Man, even an amateur combat pilot is gonna tell you to not make yourself an easy target.
Feb 26, 2014 9:42 AM

Oct 2009
OMG..everyone is dying....O_O actually was scared that Ari was gonna die too :|, this could have a darker ending than I thought.

Fausto was unexpectedly cool but dam the way he died..

How are the gonna end this in 4 episodes?? There is so much more to this world..
Feb 26, 2014 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, love how it turned into a war zone lol
Feb 26, 2014 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
"omg it's been 8 episodes and there's no minor characters development how do we fix it?????" "kill all of them"
Feb 26, 2014 7:45 PM

Sep 2010
so NOW they decide to start the world building? it would have been important... you know, half a show ago so we would know what are the chars dying for.

i do wonder why is there such a huge gap between the plane models of the 2 sides (as in, not in technical development which is kinda similar, but on their development routes, 1 side looking like WWII planes and the other like... well, that)
CatastrophicFeb 26, 2014 7:49 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Amarrez - Mar 31, 2014

191 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.