Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 29, 2008 5:09 PM

Sep 2008
Last movies I watched were RE:Degeration, Tropic Thunder, and Death Race.

Tropic Thunder was basically hilarious. Gotta love Downey Jr. 4/5

Death Race wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, so it gets a 3/5.

RE: Degeration is a give or take, depending mostly on if you're a fan of the video games. If you like a movie that's basically a glossed up, X-box 360 cutscene, then it might be up your alley. It didn't do much for me, so it gets a 2/5.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2008 5:33 PM

Apr 2008
Downey Jr. and Cruise made Tropic Thunder so memorable. Jack Black also had some funny moments like when he was tied to the tree.

Death Race had some cool crash scenes, which is all it really needed.

Alucard and Seras

Dec 29, 2008 9:12 PM

Apr 2008
Watched RE: Denegration with my brother and I totally agree with you Motoko. Quite disappointing.

Alucard and Seras

Dec 30, 2008 4:03 PM

Aug 2008
Robert Downey Jr is one of the best actors of his generation, in my opinion. I agree, his performance on Tropic Thunder made it worth watching.

The last movies I watched were Blindness and Madagascar 2.
Blindness is an amazing movie, it's my choice for the best film of 2008. It's quite shocking, not meant for the sensitive ones, nevertheless it made me think about it and discuss it for almost an hour with my friend. Julianne Moore was good as usual. I strongly recommend it.
Madagascar 2 gave me a few laughs, it was at the same level as the prequel. It's not better, but not disappointing either.
Dec 30, 2008 4:30 PM

Oct 2008
I recently watched Amélie(or, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain = The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain :P), it was actually my second watch (as someone got it for me for christmas), but it had a great lasting effect.
It's just such a breath of fresh air for me, so quirky and odd, a perfect interpretation of what many would call an alternate reality (I usually like to call it home^^). Although I can see how a lot of people would not be overly interested because it's lack of action and blockbuster effects, I'd still recommend it as a great example of quirky French comedy... um 5/5 from me?
And Audrey Tautou has perfected that smile to something beyond human :)

If you are interested in a good action, I do know of one that fuses action/French/Japanese comedy in a seamless mold of greatness. Wasabi; it's got the crazy French cop with a big gun(bull) thrown amongst downtown Tokyo (china-shop...lol it's just a saying), with some crazy stereotypically modern Japanese girl, and lets just say he eats wasabi like a real man... just a great action-comedy 4/5

Damn, I've already ranted about Tropic thunder, 2/5
(Downey Jr. is still the man)
Milk-plus__Dec 30, 2008 4:57 PM
Dec 30, 2008 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
Amélie's great, I always feel good after watching it ^^
Jan 1, 2009 2:06 PM

Jul 2008
I just got done watching The Spirit, which anyone who's a fan of Sin City/Frank Miller will enjoy. It's a funny little action flick right up the alley of Dick Tracy with the same 40s style and humor. Shot for shot, it looks good, pretty much exactly like one of Frank Miller's comics which is good and Samuel L. Jackson does an amazing job as the Octopus, and the guy who plays the Spirit also does a good job. All in all, a really terrific movie.

Also saw Hancock cause my dad rented it ... yeah, not so good.
Jan 1, 2009 6:38 PM

Mar 2008
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! every one needs to watch this just because of the name alone.
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Jan 2, 2009 12:45 AM

Mar 2008
The last films I watched were:
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed: 5/5, I love that film!
  • Frost the Snowman: 5/5, another great Christmas Classic
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas: 5/5!, I love the movie so much!! It has been one of my favorite films since I was a little kid.
Jan 3, 2009 11:22 AM

Apr 2008
Just finished Das Boot uncut version (4hrs 53mins). My Lord, the Germans know how to make great war movies. The quiet moments when submerged are so tense, and the anxiety on the mens faces is crazy. Even though their fighting on the wrong side you can't help but feel for them.

Alucard and Seras

Jan 3, 2009 4:04 PM

Oct 2008
Shit, almost 5 hours on one movie. Did you watch it in segments, have breaks, or just marathon the whole thing?

Watched Hudsucker Proxy yesterday, great big-business satire set in the late 50's, and it had Bruce Campbell! That guy kicks ass, his character and Jennifer Jason Leigh's worked real smooth-like. Although Leigh's character was at times forced, it was still a pretty good impression of Katherine Hepburn...lol nah she moved it all along well. Tim Robbins played an excellent buffoon(starting with being born in small town america, what a douche-bag hahah!), with Paul Newman on constant burn-the-little-guy's-balls patrol, they all sort of merged into a great merry-go-round of 89% insanity.
Which reminds me of a great saying(from Tsuiokuhen) "Corruption makes honesty appear as insanity", Hudsucker Proxy really brought home the meaning of that statement for me. Also that whole merry-round thingy ties in to a big circle motif in the film, but we've all seen The Lion King so I don't think I have to go over that.

All in all, classic Cohen Bros... a little more of Buscemi would be great, but I can't deny their placing of him to be anything but perfect(Beatnik barman).
Jan 4, 2009 6:57 PM

Apr 2008
I watched half on Thursday and finished the rest on Saturday.

I rewatched The Green Mile on TV today. Not as emotionally powerful as Darabont's first film Shawshank Redemption but still very good.

Alucard and Seras

Jan 4, 2009 7:56 PM

Mar 2008
when I watch long movies or series I always try to marathon them lol

watching Hot Fuzz right now it great starts a little slow but its still great.
Jan 5, 2009 1:44 PM

Sep 2008
Re-watched WallE, and no, it never does get old. If it doesn't get Best Animated Picture, I will be seriously surprised.

I'm a little mad because I just bought the standard DVD, without knowing there was a 3-disc set for the same amount of money.... I'll probably re-buy it and give my original away as a gift or something.
Jan 5, 2009 2:03 PM

Oct 2008
BlindFighter said:
watching Hot Fuzz
Yes! Hot Fuzz is great, such an epic ending...Old people are great lol, I kinda like Shaun of the Dead a little more. Probably just some stupid personal preference or something.

MotokoAramaki said:
without knowing there was a 3-disc set for the same amount of money... I'll probably re-buy it and give my original away as a gift or something.

Yea I hate it when that happens, I started collecting a box set, got halfway through(and $45 down) then found the complete series for $35. I now have 1 and a half series of Texhnolyze. Sell it on the net or sumn
Jan 5, 2009 4:33 PM

Mar 2008
I watched:

Following: Good film, not as good as Nolan's other work Memento, but still a good watch. 4/5.
Freddy Vs Jason: Very Corny, 2/5.
Grandma's Boy: Had some funny parts. 3.2/5.
Jan 6, 2009 9:40 AM

Apr 2008
Thanks for telling me bout The Changeling batmanfreak, they don't make horror films like that anymore. Great atmosphere, mostly due to the cool cinematography and creepy score. Scott was solid like always and the supporting cast was very good too. I especially liked the guy who played the senator in those last 20 minutes.

Alucard and Seras

Jan 6, 2009 5:14 PM

Jul 2008
BlindFighter said:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! every one needs to watch this just because of the name alone.

Now that there is a classic that I thought no one besides me has ever seen. A wonderfully fun movie to watch no matter what. Plus the name just says it all.

Anyway, recently watched the movie Cecil B. Demented which is a must-see comedy for anyone who enjoys cult/indy flicks. A wonderfully disturbing comedy that sort of flew under the radar ... I wonder if they'll ever rerelease it on DVD? Also saw the movie Death Comes to Frog Town ... yeah, that was a very strange litte post-apocalyptic flick but still worth checking out if you're into that kind of stuff, though it's rather hard to find a hard copy of it. Perhaps it's somewhere out in cyberspace.
Jan 6, 2009 5:33 PM

Apr 2008
John Waters makes some gross movies. Have you seen his older stuff?

Alucard and Seras

Jan 6, 2009 5:46 PM

Jul 2008
I haven't seen a ton of his stuff but yeah, I know what you're talking about. He has a very ... disturbing sense of humor but for the most part I like his stuff. As with anyone, there are a couple of his movies that I just can't stand but I really enjoyed Demented because it's just so ... out there, I guess.
Jan 6, 2009 5:49 PM

Apr 2008
I really want to see Demented.

I saw that infamous scene from Pink Flamingos. DISGUSTING!

Alucard and Seras

Jan 7, 2009 7:10 AM

Mar 2008
1eyedjoker said:
Thanks for telling me bout The Changeling batmanfreak, they don't make horror films like that anymore. Great atmosphere, mostly due to the cool cinematography and creepy score. Scott was solid like always and the supporting cast was very good too. I especially liked the guy who played the senator in those last 20 minutes.

I'm glad you like it! It is one of the last horror films I actually enjoyed. It was creepy and had a good storyline.
Jan 9, 2009 12:47 PM

Oct 2008
Alice in Wonderland, at first you think "this is a kids movie!"...then it's "this is a kids movie?!"
...why is a raven like a writing desk?
Jan 10, 2009 10:45 AM

Sep 2008
I went to see Gran Torino last night, and it was surprisingly funny. I didn't expect it to be so hilarious. At the end of the movie, everyone in the theater clapped, which is something I hadn't experienced in my local theater (this had only happened in SF previously). Best movie I've seen yet this year!
Jan 11, 2009 1:25 PM

Oct 2008
I really want to see Clint Eastwood in a good comedy, Unforgiven was definitely there(in the comedy 'zone') at times.
Jan 11, 2009 9:22 PM

Apr 2008
That's what I found so surprising and delightful about Gran Torino, the humor.

I rewatched Bram Stoker's Dracula, enchanting as always.

Finally I saw Harold & Maude. If anybody else is as disgusted with the recent trash that's being passed off as romantic comdies you must watch this film. Rarely do I believe in on screen romances, but this one had me rooting for the odd couple. And what an odd couple, a 20 year old boy obsessed with death falls in love with a 79 year old free spirit. Great performances, VERY funny story, with beautifully staged cinematography.

Alucard and Seras

Jan 12, 2009 11:11 AM

Oct 2008
Lol watched Re-Animator, oh and did I bask in all its 80s B-Movie glory! Haha it was classic B-movie horror/gore, quite good I admit(when you've properly classified it as B-movie; thus never take seriously... you must try especially hard when watching with a neuropsych student), and that crazy guy Herbert West (Jeffery Combs) was brilliant! Apparently he's going to be in the new Dunwich Horror film!(which I only just found out about)
Although I haven't read Re-Animator, I think I am now going to have to correct that, but seeing as I've read The Dunwich Horror(and enjoyed it), will be looking forward to that!

1eyedjoker said:
I rewatched Bram Stoker's Dracula, enchanting as always

Hell yea, every time I watch that it's a pleasure
Milk-plus__Jan 12, 2009 11:15 AM
Jan 13, 2009 12:35 AM

Oct 2008
I guess I should write my thoughts on Zeitgeist: Addendum. Especially seeing as I've decided it's hands down the greatest thing I've seen in the past year, if not since I started watching films of worth. So this is going to be hard.

It begins by explaining the fallacy of the monetary system, how the American Government creates money from debt, then smoothly adds that we basically begin our lives in debt and go throughout our entire lives trying to work ourselves out of this 'debt'. The best description of this being, slavery. Of course our indoctrination doesn't allow for us to see it this way, we're told to think it's just 'living your own life'! Thus they've created the perfect slaves, those that aren't even aware of their own slavery.

Fortunately it doesn't just give examples of the terrible things our monetary system has done to people(although the examples are brilliant), it also gives us a great little piece of hope. This probably will begin at a different time for you, but for me it was when it started explaining how politicians, religions, and money are essentially worthless. They give us nothing! TECHNICIANS give us TECHNOLOGY, advancements, KNOWLEDGE!! Politicians, religions and ridiculous amounts of money only increase and perpetuate our problems!
However there is also an amazing interview with one of the organisers of the Venus Project, one that knows these things, knows that the main reason vast amounts of advancements are held back is because of powers trying to continue the current norms.
And, they have a solution. But you have to watch it
Jan 15, 2009 5:52 PM

Apr 2008
Downloaded The Pianist today, breathtaking film. The best parts are when Brody is on his own, without a word spoken he portrays his character's desperation in his eyes, movements, and occasional groans of despair and pain. All of the executions shown are terrifying, and the film unfolds without a trace of Hollywood glamorization. Right up there with Schindler's List as the best Holocaust film I've seen.

Alucard and Seras

Jan 16, 2009 11:10 AM

Oct 2008
I really enjoyed The Pianist as well, it brings the brutality of surviving in the guts of a world war to such a personal level. When classical music is so integrated in a film such as here, especially something that can be as mournful as a piano, it adds a mind-numbing surreal element to scenes.

I also watched a war film last night. Though definitely not one as publicized as WW2 and the holocaust, I guess white rich people aren't being killed. More along the lines of poor black people.
In re-watching Blood Diamond, I realized that it is one of the best films I've seen that successfully integrates laughter, tears, hope, despair, good, evil and humanity in relation to our current world. Probably the best film I've seen Leonardo DiCaprio in, he plays a Rhodesian(old name for Zimbabwe) diamond smuggler with the witty lines, and the bad attitude. It is the support of an excellent cast(the unknowns are awesome) using a superb script that keeps this film intense and tear-jerking, it is the setting that keeps it relevant.
I'd just like to say, it is only in our money driven society that something as useless as diamonds can be worth something. It's shiny? So is my fucking TV screen. I'm pretty sure diamonds came into popularity when there wasn't TV, games or the internet, so why must we continuously idolize something that is currently worthless? Because we are told it is worth something. If something as stupid as tradition can support something as disgusting and repulsive as blood diamonds, then we definitely live in a stupid world.

If you haven't seen Blood Diamond, it is definitely a must-see
Jan 16, 2009 11:30 AM

Sep 2008
The Blood Diamond is definitely one of my favorite DeCaprio movies. Its surprising how much I disliked him a couple years ago, and then this movie and the Departed came out. All of a sudden, he turned into a decent actor! It was like magic!
Jan 22, 2009 11:23 AM

Oct 2008
Lol he's a magician I swear, when he said he was from Rhodesia that movie was made for me. Such a simple line, but so fucking complex.
I never really had any opinion on him, kinda thought he was just some young actor guy, he could have easily gone down the path of good-looking no-talent. Mustive realised that can only take you so far, I'm kinda glad after that performance
Jan 25, 2009 10:06 AM

Sep 2008
I went to go see Defiance last night. It was...okay. It wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be, but it was passable. Originally I wanted to go see Valkyrie, but for some reason no theaters are showing it in my area. The closest place is in Tracy, which is miles and miles away...
Jan 25, 2009 3:15 PM

Aug 2008
MotokoAramaki said:
The Blood Diamond is definitely one of my favorite DeCaprio movies. Its surprising how much I disliked him a couple years ago, and then this movie and the Departed came out. All of a sudden, he turned into a decent actor! It was like magic!

In my opinion, he has always been a good actor. "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" proves it.
Jan 26, 2009 12:01 PM

Oct 2008
I re-watched 'A Scanner Darkly' last night, I had to because they talk so fucking quietly throughout the entire thing and last time my flat was all noisy and shit.

Richard Linklater is an interesting fellow, his other favorite of mine would have to be Waking Life, which was also rotoscope but questioned reality a little more thoroughly(dammit my copy went missing). However this is an adaption of Philip K. Dick's 1977 novel, so it would need to follow a more set path than Linklater's musings on that subject.
This path is of a dystopian near future, where America has lost the war on drugs and everyone is constantly monitored. We follow Bob Arctor(Keanu Reeves, *shudder*), who works for the government undercover in a crazy suit that is stocked with over a million variations of different people that it flickers randomly across his body. The funny thing is he uses this to disguise himself from his work colleagues, while goes as himself to his 'undercover' drug den work.
His drug buddies including great supporting roles acted by Robert Downey Jr., Woody Harrelson, and a special mention to the classic drug-clown performance by Rory Cochrane. I'll mention Winona Ryder is in there somewhere too, she's also all drugged up.
A Scanner Darkly is one of those films that, when finished, made me want to scream with fury. Howl at the stupidity of people, the hypocrisy, the culture of blame, the lack of responsibility taken for our own actions. The fact that we're now controlled by what we've created. I don't want to think I'm a slave, but the fact that I silently fumed says otherwise...
Jan 27, 2009 8:17 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah, A Scanner Darkly is an interesting film. I rented it over the summer because I had wanted to see it for a long time. It isn't quite as good as the book but it was pretty damn close, it showed the paranoia and faults between drug users better than almost any other film I've ever seen on the subject. A very good watch, a must-see for Philip K. Dick lovers and science fiction lovers alike.
Jan 29, 2009 10:45 AM

Oct 2008
Saw Inland Empire the other night(David Lynch's latest installment), a very strange collection of a madman's musings. Understanding wasn't quite aided by the fact that we watched it with Spanish subtitles, and a substantial chunk of the dialogue was in Polish. So I may have to re-watch it for that, then re-watch it half a dozen more times.
It kinda follows on some of Lynch's Hollywood comments in Mullholand Drive, but with a lot less focus(I honestly thought 'Drive was pretty darned unfocused, in a good way). It has some parts that just plain freaked me out, so all in all a pretty good thriller-story. But even for a guy who made Mullholand Drive, Lost Highway and Twin Peaks this is strange.
Dammit, has anyone else seen this film...?

Last night watched Miller's Crossing. Honestly, fuck the Godfather, fuck Goodfellas, this is the greatest gangster related film I've ever seen. I thought Scorsese was the King of Gangster films, but this one made me reconsider.
Buscemi was in it(for 2 minutes), and it's a Cohen brothers film so I may be biased, but for cake's sake this was a good film
Jan 30, 2009 7:51 AM

Jul 2008
Last night, finally got to watch To Kill A Mockingbird, an amazing film. (One of the few films that are just as good as the book, if not better.) Anyone who likes older movies should definately see this movie, it's right up there with Citizen Kane and others of that caliber. A ture classic.

As for gangster movies, check out The Executioner ... if you can find it. It's a must-see simply because it is so terrible. One of the movies that fits in the category 'So Bad It's An Instant Classic.' Singlehandedly, the #1 must-see ganster film.

And David Lynch's films can be hard to understand in English...
Feb 2, 2009 5:01 AM

Jul 2008
Finally got my hands on a copy of The Fountain, it was buried in a cardboard box in the corner of my rental store, and Oh My God it was amazing. I don't even know how I could've passed something like that up on its theater run. I'm still glad I saw it though, Hugh Jackman does an awesome performance and all the stories mesh together so well. Truly breathtaking in every sense of the word. Definately one of the best movies I've seen this year.

Also saw Burn After Reading and let's just say I was rather disappointed. Most of the stuff by the Coen Brothers I end up really liking but this one just didn't do it for me. Very disappointing.
Feb 8, 2009 2:22 PM

Oct 2008
Your response to Burn after Reading is unfortunately quite common, I guess everyone expected something different. But it so ingeniously portrays the inadequacies of the CIA! (read Legacy of Ashes: the History of the CIA for a meticulously in-depth revelation of how they ruined lots of junk) Also it shows how we construct such immense complications for such simple things, how we over-complicate to instill mystery and 'excitement', but really just increase misunderstanding, ignorance, and distrust... in the most hilarious way!
I mean come on, Malkovich's catch phrase "What the fuck!?" and Brad Pitt's air-headed stupidity just add handfuls of cherries to an overflowing cake...and I like cake

I recently saw a few films, Audition(re-watched), Gran Torino, Into The Sea, Zaitoichi(2003), all great and highly recommended. I can't be bothered discussing them all, just have to mention them because they were all a decent watch
A note on Audition, a very slow starting Japanese subtitled thriller. Stick with this and you will be rewarded with fluid sublimity in all its sticky greatness ^^
Feb 9, 2009 9:11 PM

Mar 2008
I just watched Tokyo Gore Police and it was great so much fake blood it made me laugh out loud
Feb 10, 2009 5:42 PM

Jul 2008
Milk-plus__ said:
Your response to Burn after Reading is unfortunately quite common, I guess everyone expected something different. But it so ingeniously portrays the inadequacies of the CIA!

A note on Audition, a very slow starting Japanese subtitled thriller. Stick with this and you will be rewarded with fluid sublimity in all its sticky greatness ^^

I thought that Burn After Reading was decent and it certainly had its funny moments. Brad Pitts character was hilarious, as was what happened to him towards the end, totally surprised me. As for the whole chair that George Cloony made ... wow. It's just that I love all the other Coen Brothers films but that one I only marginally liked, I don't know it was just missing something I guess.

Audition is amazing. Probably one of the creepiest horror movies in years, certainly the last one that really truly frightened me. Although some of the end was rather gruesome but I have a strong stomach so I was fine ... one of my friends was not. Half-digested popcorn ruins everyone's evening.
Feb 10, 2009 5:43 PM

Jul 2008
BlindFighter said:
I just watched Tokyo Gore Police and it was great so much fake blood it made me laugh out loud

...I saw that movie. Impressive violence ... not much else. I was slightly disappointed although I went in not expecting too much so the fall wasn't so bad. I just wish it would've had more depth.
Feb 10, 2009 7:48 PM

Mar 2008
FALLEN101 said:
BlindFighter said:

...I saw that movie. Impressive violence ... not much else. I was slightly disappointed although I went in not expecting too much so the fall wasn't so bad. I just wish it would've had more depth.

yeah you can't expect much when you have a title like Tokyo Gore Police lol
Feb 14, 2009 1:56 PM

Jul 2008
Yeah but it gave everything in the name so I shouldn't have been that disappointed. Still, it's a fun movie to watch with friends at three o'clock in the morning. That and the Evil Dead series round out one fun movie night.
Feb 14, 2009 3:04 PM

Mar 2008
Evil dead rocks and all the people in it are from my state woot

I watched Wolf Creek and High Tension today both cool horror movies got to love killers man.
Feb 15, 2009 4:58 PM

Oct 2008
Damn, watched Monster the other day. Intense, maximum intensity. Kinda like a reverse of Brokeback Mountain but with murder and prostitution, watching it with female friends is highly recommended. Great movie though, deserved all the female actress awards.

Also watched training day, although I've seen parts of it before it was good to watch in one sitting. Rationalization of violence, drug abuse, and general corruption is the idea...
I think they had a Maori guy(New Zealand) playing a Puerto Rican, with quite a major speaking role near the end which was funny
Feb 15, 2009 8:58 PM

Jul 2008
Last three that I watched:
Army of Darkness
Overall it's a fun movie. The Evil Dead series as a whole is great.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
I absolutely love both chocolate factory movies, Johnny Depp made this one the funnier of the two, yet the first one has such a magical heartwarming charm that they both stand out.

Doomsday
Fun to watch. Great action. Awesome car chase scene.
But there was like, no character development at all.
Feb 16, 2009 6:17 PM

Jul 2008
Recently rewatched 'Blue Velvet' and 'Fight Club.'
'Nuff said.
Feb 16, 2009 7:41 PM

Jul 2008
Gran Torino
My second viewing. It's without a doubt one of my favorite movies of the year. Clint Eastwood is just pure badass.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Romance/Romance-esque Movies

FALLEN101 - Feb 23, 2010

5 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:17 AM

» Favorite Flicks

1eyedjoker - Dec 28, 2008

22 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:06 AM

» Least favorite movies.

removed-user - Jun 17, 2009

21 by YoungVagabond »»
Jan 10, 2011 11:27 PM

» What's your 'plan to watch' list?

Milk-plus__ - Jan 26, 2009

13 by sunup »»
Jan 10, 2011 3:35 PM

» New Trailer Thread ( 1 2 )

1eyedjoker - Apr 3, 2009

78 by FALLEN101 »»
Feb 27, 2010 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.