Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 26, 2013 4:16 AM

Nov 2012
Yuusha really needs to get his ass handed to him the way he treats the poor girl.

Jan 26, 2013 4:30 AM

Feb 2012
It was nice.
Jan 26, 2013 4:53 AM

Apr 2011
LOL.

Yuusha getting chased by monster girls...

Maou getting a marriage proposal...

Yuusha, you'd better see her or some merchant is gonna steal your wifey.

Seeing female knight blush when they were talking Yuusha, could be the sign
that she has feelings for yuusha?
Jan 26, 2013 6:37 AM

Mar 2011
Rushed, tough to follow episode
She still keep the Yuusha Dakimakura? lol
Jan 26, 2013 7:38 AM
Nov 2012
Magito said:
LOL.

Yuusha getting chased by monster girls...

Maou getting a marriage proposal...

Seeing female knight blush when they were talking Yuusha, could be the sign
that she has feelings for yuusha?

I thought it was common knowledge that she's head over heels about him, she may even love him more than Maou.
GateLambdaJan 26, 2013 7:55 AM
Jan 26, 2013 9:30 AM

May 2012
aww mao so cute when she received the proposal xD

lovely ep 4/5

" Am I human now?"
Jan 26, 2013 11:00 AM

May 2012
Not sure if I like knight more than Maou...maybe it's just the seiyuu. >-<
Jan 26, 2013 12:01 PM

Dec 2012
Magito said:
Seeing female knight blush when they were talking Yuusha, could be the signthat she has feelings for yuusha?

wasn't that kind obvious from like the first ep and last ep .-.
Jan 26, 2013 12:19 PM

Feb 2010
Magito said:

My thoughts exactly... and I kinda want the Merchant to succeed... just because the Hero is being inconsiderate.

Enjoying this show. Love the dialogue...
Jan 26, 2013 1:13 PM
Mar 2009
Dat useless Niku.

*sigh*, I thought the anime would at least depict Maou being more against Young Merchant's proposal.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are we not seeing Hero's part of the past four months? That would kind of suck.

Hahaha, sounded like some monster girl manga that Head Maid was listing.

Almost time for the naval battle!
Jan 26, 2013 1:44 PM

Aug 2011
The timeskips in this anime are crazy, don't really mind though.

Useless meat is awesome.
Jan 26, 2013 5:07 PM

Jan 2013
It felt really rushed, it was as if i missed an episode .
I fear this anime will get the same treatement as DTB season 2 .
Still liked it though .
Jan 26, 2013 6:26 PM

Apr 2011
GateLambda said:

I thought it was common knowledge that she's head over heels about him, she may even love him more than Maou.

tsudecimo said:
wasn't that kind obvious from like the first ep and last ep .-.

Oh really? Dammit, I'm so dense. :P
Jan 26, 2013 10:22 PM

Dec 2011
I didn't expect Hero can just go back like that and not show up to Maoh.
I also hate how we only get to see what Hero experienced... but not see his adventures truly animated. Looks like we are sticking to the point of this anime, economics.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2013 11:36 PM

Dec 2012
What, he has been in the freaking chair the whole 6 months?
Jan 26, 2013 11:52 PM

Feb 2012
An entertaining episode, but unfortunately it mainly came from the one-shot jokes instead of the story. One fact about war that this anime has left out is that war tends to either make or break a government. I would love to see the anime address a situation where the only way a human king can keep his kingdom together is in fighting the demons; if their justification for ruling is that their fighting against the demons, then peace would be disastrous for them.
Jan 27, 2013 1:13 AM
Jun 2008
Phaetons_Folly said:
One fact about war that this anime has left out is that war tends to either make or break a government.
I thought first episode explain how war bring "unity" and south alliance nation depend on war fund to survive because their land is cold dead....Well, man are perfected through suffering I guess.
Jan 27, 2013 1:35 AM

Sep 2012
6 months without Yuusha made Maou so childish and cute :3 ah the complicated feelings.
Jan 27, 2013 3:08 AM

Feb 2011
Ok so i was really confused on the whole demon world part. The anime showed it like all the stuff she thought he did was fake and all he did was go to the demon world and get attacked by various monster girls, but apparently he did do the part where he saved the fairy queen. I have no idea why they took that out since it seemed to have alot of importance to the plot. I did get this from the manga and not the LN though.
Jan 27, 2013 10:52 AM

Jun 2008
Things are really rushing along, I echo those sentiments. I did enjoy the episode though, it had a pretty solid structure. Everything fit into place. I just feel like there was an episode or two we missed between 3 and this one.
Jan 27, 2013 11:38 AM
Sep 2012
I was disappointed in this episode. I don't know why I know this is not an action anime but when you give a character called the hero a bad ass black demon suit. I would like for you to show him using it the next episode. This just felt so slow, I realize this isn't the fastest paced anime but the only good thing about this episode was the female knight development and that was all. Hoping for better next week!
Jan 27, 2013 1:38 PM

Mar 2012
Am I the only one thoroughly enjoying this anime? It seems to get a lot of hate.

Considering it's from the same people that made Spice + Wolf, I'm willing to give this time. The premise is great and even though there's been very little relationship development between Maou and Yuusha, as well as very little shown from Maou's part of the story, I'm willing to give it time.

I do think the next episode will be a good transition episode to where this series is going. If you've seen Spice + Wolf, you know you have to stay invested with a series like this. It isn't going to sweep you off your feet in the 1st act. It's going to build to something great as the series progresses.
Jan 27, 2013 1:44 PM

Mar 2012
Sorry, I meant to say Yuusha's side of the story. For some reason, MAL isn't allowing me to edit that post. :-/
Jan 28, 2013 5:55 AM

Jul 2007
Loved the episode as always.

Its good that they keep generic action as a background and actually focus on what is interesting - characters and economics.

Good to see Hero get some depth too, this episode and its always nice to see his self-awareness of his role.

5/5
Jan 28, 2013 7:58 AM

May 2010
lol why is he ignoring her?& on top of it for 6 months..that is absurd.
Jan 28, 2013 11:41 AM
Feb 2012
ahmed_great2005 said:

Because he thinks him fighting against the demon rebels in the underworld is the only way he can be of use to Maou. Personally I too think that it's dumb but judging by the preview they'll finally meet again in the next episode.
Now a few thoughts that came to mind while watching this week's Maouyuu.
- I understand that talking about the economical aspects of the anime's world is important too but I find it to be somewhat tedious to watch. Therefore those particular scenes being extended that much is a little, well, too much.
- What's up with that blonde merchant proposing to Maou out of nowhere? And more importantly, what's wrong with her acting all flustered? "You're mine, Yuusha, and I'm yours" my ass, is what I thought during that scene. Her whole composure crumbled like nothing and instead of telling the merchant off she made vague comments like a high-school girl... That part disappointed me greatly.
- Sawashiro Miyuki, I absolutely love your voice.
- Hello there, Yuusha. Nice place you found yourself to hide in (speaking of which, shouldn't Maou be able to sense his presence, being the queen of the devils and all?). While you're here, mind telling me why those fighting scenes of yours were just briefly mentioned instead of being shown? I'd have loved to see Yuusha's interactions with the harpy girls, the slime and the cow-girl (that last one cracked me up).
- The Head Maid seems to be the epitome of wisdom. Quite a wise woman I must admit.
- Last but not least- the first war (in hindsight, battle seems to be the more suitable word here) seems to be approaching and I'm hoping to see Yuusha partake in it.

Huh, looks like I wrote more than usual. Either way, at the bottom line it was a good episode.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 28, 2013 11:59 AM

Dec 2009
Forgot to say it before, but this kid is a psycho.

I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 28, 2013 12:17 PM

Dec 2012
i think the romance in this anime so far is really stupid , they both know eachother for more than a year according to those random time skips and yet no romantic development at all
Maou: being the clumsy girl who has a crush on whoever the " yuusha" may be and gets flustred and embaressed under romantic situtions ( i.e when the merchant pruposed).
Yuusha: was shocked about the truth of the war between demons and human , he constantly avoid maou romantic gestures because he doesn't know if he loves her or he is just gay .__. .
also 6 month hiding in the castle what the actual fuck? is the time different in thier world or something because thats absurd -__-
anyway the romance gets better ( cuz Maou is so cute <3 ) because so far this an anime about poltics and economics .
Jan 28, 2013 1:38 PM

Jul 2012
I have to agree with some of the sentiments towards the development in terms of romance. Although we saw it in earlier episodes, with the time-skip and everything, things have died down a lot and nothing is being accomplished even though there are enough opportunities to do so.

We'll have to see though.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 28, 2013 3:11 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
also 6 month hiding in the castle what the actual fuck? is the time different in thier world or something because thats absurd -__-
He's not hiding in the castle for 6 months. He has the power to teleport almost at will and uses it to occasionally return - he picks a place to hide until Maoyuu goes to bed and the maid finds him, when he grabs a bite to eat and writes a "letter", before taking off again.
Jan 29, 2013 10:18 AM

Jul 2007
GuiltyKing said:
ahmed_great2005 said:

Because he thinks him fighting against the demon rebels in the underworld is the only way he can be of use to Maou.

From what I got from this episode:
He also had all those ideas and fantasies/dreams of how his romance would play out(him dying at the lap of his love of his life, etc), but, unlike usual anime characters, has not actually realized on what A REAL commitment would be like. Its not some fairytale with an ending. Its for life.

And he just does not feel like he has anything to offer in the relationship. Demon King, in his eyes,is smart, resourceful, witty, diplomatic - all those things, while Hero sees himself like someone who would fail at anything but swinging his sword at stuff and fighting stuff. He just feels inferior to her and thus, fears eventually ruining the whole romance thing.

I personally like it because it sets him apart from usual "rpg hero" stereotypes in anime, who do not stop to think about real world mature implications of a relationship.
Jan 29, 2013 12:16 PM

Jun 2008
I'm really enjoying this show more than I thought I would.
Jan 29, 2013 12:31 PM

Jul 2010
Why are they just skipping over what the Hero has been doing for the last six months.? :(

Poor Maou misses him and now some jerk even proposed to her. Even though she'll decline I don't think that merchant is one that takes no for an answer.

Jan 29, 2013 3:26 PM

Jul 2009
Huh, interesting negotiations between the Demon King and the Merchant. Proposing marriage ...?! Well that was fast ... haha XD Somehow I don't think he'll give up easily ... and with Hero already being gone so long who knows what will happen?! Good thing the Head Maid is there to remind him that they're bound to each other ... though I really did like the Merchant guy more after this episode XD
Seems like the war is imminent now. Pushing for fighting ... well, now she's got a deal with the Alliance to try and stop the war. The old Knight guy (I forget his name) is with that King in the Southern Territories ... and they have to fight because the Central Nations ordered it? Seems like a lot to go wrong ...
Nice scenes with Knight and the Maid, especially when the latter said she wanted to learn to fight. I guess this could be a possible duo in the future?! :O
Jan 29, 2013 11:05 PM

Aug 2012
HoneyHomie said:
What, he has been in the freaking chair the whole 6 months?

lmao
Jan 30, 2013 2:28 PM
Jan 2013
Fai said:

From what I got from this episode:
He also had all those ideas and fantasies/dreams of how his romance would play out(him dying at the lap of his love of his life, etc), but, unlike usual anime characters, has not actually realized on what A REAL commitment would be like. Its not some fairytale with an ending. Its for life.

And he just does not feel like he has anything to offer in the relationship. Demon King, in his eyes,is smart, resourceful, witty, diplomatic - all those things, while Hero sees himself like someone who would fail at anything but swinging his sword at stuff and fighting stuff. He just feels inferior to her and thus, fears eventually ruining the whole romance thing.

I personally like it because it sets him apart from usual "rpg hero" stereotypes in anime, who do not stop to think about real world mature implications of a relationship.

After seeing all the confused post about yuusha's action, I thought I should make an attempt to clarify. The above quote basically explains Yuusha's reasons, but I thought I should make it more clear. The post will be quite long.

Story started with Yuusha rushing to the Demon Castle alone because he thought that was the quickest way to end the War. After seeing Maou, who told him about the truth of the War, he realize he was just another tool by the Central Government. After cutesy interaction yadayada, Maou told Yuusha that she can bring about peace with his help. Thus Yuusha agreed to form the contract with Maou, because his primary goal was to find a way to Peace and end War. Given the intelligence and insight of Maou, he can be the sword to further their ideals.
MorningGlory said:

Something to note is their contract is not merely a contract to mutual possesion of each other, that would be a marriage. It was build upon a similar ideal, curious to how they can contribute to better the world(end War). Maou definitely has a different agenda(to posses Yuusha's body and soul) in mind.

But Yuusha as of currently is still quite hang-up on the reason they formed the contract. Given his role and name, the Hero, there's a greater amount of responsibility he feels towards the contract. That he has a role to fullfil as the Hero, even if he isn't very smart as shown, he knows his responsibility. Although it's fairly obvious he also likes Maou, he doesn't want to get too close with Maou because he's afraid emotions would affect his responsibilities. Also as mentioned by Fai above, he feels inferior to Maou as he is aware of her intelligence, while he's self-aware of his lack of insight. In his mind he thinks his role is just to be the blade and sword of his partner as it's clear Maou has no combat power despite being the "Demon King".

I know responsibility seems stupid at first glance, but the more you mature you'll understand it's importance, moreso in real life than in anime/manga. Even for Love, the responsobility of lifetime commitment is different from a temporary crush.

Thoughts about Maou's strong interest in Yuusha before they even met:
Being the Demon "King", I'm sure she hear news of the Hero, and know what he looks like from her underlings. There is a huge time skip before Yuusha fought his way to the Demon Castle, it's clear she knows what he looks like(evident by her pillow), and generated a crush on him because of his "heroism" we never got to see. Same doesn't apply for the Yuusha tho(thought Maou was a King).

Thoughts about their relationship:
It doesn't really feel rushed if there really isn't any sentimental value in their relationship thus far, I would say their relationship seems lovy-dovy last episode mostly driven by Maou's persistence. But in fact they don't really understand each other that well. I would say they are attracted to each other right now, one more than the other, but they have not formed the strong bond of love yet.

Thoughts on the direction of the anime:
It was made rather clear at episode one, this anime is about Politics and Macro Economics. 1st approach to ending War was education, but obviously it would take at least another generation(30 years or so) before they can see change. 2nd approach was that if the start of war was money and resource, then improving the macroeconomic would be the answer. Would be interesting if they do more development on the Politics later on, as it is shown historically, Wars don't just start with lack of money, but also strong prejudice between race/nation/religion.

Romance and Fantasy mixed in for a twist and not a main focus. Thus why they omitted the action scenes(tho I would have loved to see them, im sure there is more to come). Although there are many similarity to S&W, this is also very different. One is about Microeconomic and one is about Macroeconomic(google it if you dunno what's the difference). If you watch this anime with just the romance in mind, there are way better ones out there. Same with Fantasy/Action there is SAO or other fantasy anime. This anime has been staying quite true to it's focus, at least what I think. But it may dwell deeper into Romance like S&W did in the later episodes, I wouldn't mind that either.

Thoughts about this series overall:
I haven't read the manga or LN, but the pacing feels really rushed. It was harder to pick out the details, which the audience gotta fill in ourselves. Really interesting to see animator taking a bland topic like Economic and incorporating it into anime. I have to admit S&W did a way better job with the execution with the focus on microeconomics. But I'm rather hopeful of Maoyuu, and enjoying it so far.
hdd1230Jan 30, 2013 2:53 PM
Jan 31, 2013 9:53 PM

Oct 2011
Slow pace but fast time flow? Somehow it works...
I really enjoy being able to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere(which is something that needs more attention in some animes), and also the feeling of leisurely advancing plot. Refreshing, chill, but not boring. Props.
Hello :D
Feb 1, 2013 2:39 PM

Mar 2011
Moving along nicely (well, a fair rate of knots) but still very much enjoying the ride.

That maid is totally bad-ass and I'd love to see her in action. Something tells me she can really fight (or I'd like her too)!
Feb 2, 2013 8:44 AM

Apr 2009
We didn't get to see much of Hero's (as Dark Knight) action in the Demon World for the past 6 months. The number of episodes is definitely the problem here. Another battle for control of Aurora Island is about to take place very soon. And the love rivals are starting to show up on both sides now.
Feb 4, 2013 10:53 AM
Sep 2012
The Head Maid knows everything.
Feb 10, 2013 11:31 PM
Apr 2009
At first, I thought this show could be decent but after this episode I'm dropping this shit.
I hate when the male is a faggot. And the male in this show is even worst than a faggot.
I don't even know how that shit can be called a "Hero".
A "Hero" is someone who is a complete badass, not some shit who is afraid and runs away from girls.
Japan seriously, you need to grow a pair.
Feb 19, 2013 9:07 PM

Sep 2012
This show is so painfully boring that I'm just going to give up here.
Mar 13, 2013 2:27 PM

Jan 2011
Great episode, but I want something serious to happen soon.
The buildup here was great, and we got to see some new characters.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Mar 24, 2013 9:09 PM
Sep 2010
Hey guys about a previous post,

"- What's up with that blonde merchant proposing to Maou out of nowhere? And more importantly, what's wrong with her acting all flustered? "You're mine, Yuusha, and I'm yours" my ass, is what I thought during that scene. Her whole composure crumbled like nothing and instead of telling the merchant off she made vague comments like a high-school girl... That part disappointed me greatly."

Yeah man like wtf.
The entire episode I was fucking nervous like omg this fuckin bastard are they really gonna...
Oh shit when they go shake hands always that fucking point that they throw in some NTR shit.
First round safe.
Second round WTF
And everyone is talking about a time skip....

Does NO ONE notice this? LOL
I am fucking he proposes and she acts all shy and shit holy fuck that pisses me fucking off fuck FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKCKCJBFEWFBIESDNOFINS
Mar 29, 2013 8:58 PM

Jun 2011
eminagnam said:
It was so so though I enjoyed it. This anime still lacks depth compared to Spice & Wolf. Everything is betwixt and between: they didn't go further with economy, they didn't go further with agriculture, they didn't go further with romance, they didn't go further with battle, and so on. In S&W, they went deep into commercial trade (e.g. exchange transaction) from the 2nd episode. In S&W, romance didn't happen in early episodes and it was valid cuz neither of the hero and heroine showed romantic interest in each other. But in Maoyuu, the heroine already showed romantic interest in the hero. Nevertheless romance has not developed yet.

When one character said the negotiation with Maou was tense, I felt it was forced cuz I didn't find it tense. Tense was a negotiation between Holo and a merchant in episode 2 of S&W, for instance. S&W was full of thrilling moments from the 2nd episode already. But this anime is not so thrilling yet.

Since they use the same director and voice actors as ones of S&W and this anime has vibes similar to S&W, it's inevitable to compare this one to S&W.

Compare everything and you won't be able to enjoy anything to their fullest. It's not as awesome as S&W but it's still good in it's own way, but it's true that it lacks more detailed info.. About the tense situation, they felt that way, not us, you should understand that, if you try to understand their mentality and everything at that moment, you'll find that tense too, they're having doubts and struggling in their mind, etc..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 2, 2013 4:21 PM

Sep 2012
i was hoping to see those ghost demons kick some ass.( =3=)
Apr 9, 2013 6:17 AM

Sep 2012
Poor Maou... Yuusha is so... D:
Apr 21, 2013 3:57 PM
Nov 2011
it seems only a matter of time before a nother war campaign. I don't understand what the hero is doing, but I'm betting he wants to save his comrade before he becomes lazy with the demon king.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Apr 22, 2013 9:25 PM

Sep 2011
The head maid is one interesting character... lol
May 21, 2013 12:26 AM

Feb 2012
Maou's boobs did look nice in that dress.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2013

219 by mogneto »»
Sep 18, 7:14 AM

Poll: » Do you think that anime season 2nd will be available in future?

SametTakao - Nov 6, 2023

13 by zazo_Zero_2 »»
Aug 17, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

465 by PankesuPlease »»
Jul 13, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

111 by Split_Head_77 »»
May 24, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

125 by Split_Head_77 »»
May 24, 8:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.