Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 31, 2013 7:51 PM
Mar 2012
One complaint about Shinji is that he doesn't develop, and stays mostly the same throughout the show.

For two reasons this assessment is wrong. Shinji does undergo change and development throughout the series. He is not the same in episode 12 as he is at the end. However the changes are more subtle than usual. What he doesn't do is undergo some complete transformation.

The way that Eva does developments is much more realistic than the usual complete transformation. In real life people rarely change completely and I find Eva's approach to be refreshingly lacking in the sort of unrealistic character changes that can result in someone losing all the weakness and flaws that made them relatable.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 7, 2015 7:08 PM
Apr 2014
The way that Eva does developments is much more realistic than the usual complete transformation. In real life people rarely change completely and I find Eva's approach to be refreshingly lacking in the sort of unrealistic character changes that can result in someone losing all the weakness and flaws that made them relatable. [/quote]

Agreed. People don't realize how slowly they change over time. Also too many people hate on characters they wouldn't like in real life or who exhibit traits they don't like within themselves so Shinji ends up getting bashed. They fail to realize how brave Shinji really is piloting Eva, trying as hard as he can to overcome his depression and be liked among his peers all at once. He does eventually change but it takes human instrumentality for him to accept his own thoughts as being just as valid. Like in real life, it usually takes a major event to drastically change the way a person approaches life. One of the best well-written characters in anime.
Mar 14, 2016 10:11 AM
Sep 2015
I agree with both of you. People really hate the last two episodes of Eva and the End of Eva because they don't really understand either one. Those two episodes bring forth one of the best epiphanies I've ever seen (in any medium of entertainment) even though it doesn't quite wrap up the whole story it does perfectly wrap up Shinji's story and, to me, that's what matters. End of Eva is honestly one of my favorite anime movies because it is just so beautifully made and a perfect conclusion to Neon Genesis Evangelion.
If you love Kono Subarashii Sekai Ni Shukufuku Wo! (God's Blessing Blessing on this Wonderful World!) Then come join The Kono Suba Fan Club to enjoy a community of people that share your love. It's a small club as of now but we hope to grow much larger as this amazing show goes on!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » New and Improved? Shinji Ikari Membercards! ~NOW OPEN~

Antigone - Aug 15, 2010

10 by Thatevafag »»
Apr 24, 2017 12:16 PM

» Why Shinji Ikari?

Antigone - Mar 19, 2010

7 by removed-user »»
Sep 10, 2014 5:15 PM

» Club cards for the defenders of Shinji Ikari! CLOSED

Antigone - Mar 19, 2010

11 by Antigone »»
Aug 7, 2010 3:28 AM

» Other Evangelion related thoughts....

Antigone - Mar 19, 2010

0 by Antigone »»
Mar 19, 2010 5:46 PM

» Where to start?

Antigone - Mar 19, 2010

0 by Antigone »»
Mar 19, 2010 5:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.