Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 7, 12:08 PM
Feb 2021
I finished this anime a while back. I understand that the LN readers were hyping this up and till this day I was wondering what was there to be hyped about. I like the revenge story line but I heard it dosen't get much into it in the LN and defenitly didn't happen in the anime. I'm not saying this anime is bad, I enjoyed it but I wasn't expecting this.
May 7, 12:31 PM

Jul 2017
First few eps were 10/10, by the end it was 5/10
Another show gimped by pacing
Kitsune_089May 7, 2:23 PM
May 7, 2:39 PM
Nov 2022
Started good, didn’t get better though, so not very hyped
May 7, 6:05 PM

Apr 2021
I am anime only, meaning I don’t read written material.

I will look at art, images, some articles, trailers before an anime comes out. This anime actually caught my attention and I was very interested in watching.

The beginning started off pretty good with world building, explaining the academy, the characters were all interesting, and a few episodes were fun.

But as the anime went on, a lot of unrelated side issues were taking time away from what seemed like the the main story, which was the students and this strange academy.

Plus there was a lot of copying from Harry Potter and other popular stories, so that was kind of strange.

I changed from, “oh this looks good”, to “I’m confused and not sure what this anime is about”.

I ended up rating it a (6) Fine.
ejleonMay 8, 11:53 AM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 7, 6:53 PM
Mar 2019
every episode was really good started off not fine but ended really good hype for season 2, 8.4 out of 10
May 7, 7:53 PM

May 2020
It was trash but apparently it was really popular in Japan while it was airing so maybe expect a season 2, although i won’t be watching anymore
May 8, 2:27 AM
Dec 2022
Kreshre said:
every episode was really good started off not fine but ended really good hype for season 2, 8.4 out of 10

if you really call this as a 8.5/10, i just feel bad for the other anime's with really good story line, which scored the same. isn't it too high, even most of the greatest animes of all time scored 8/10.
Yeshaiah2015yeshMay 8, 2:32 AM
May 8, 2:34 AM
Dec 2022
itz_lelouch said:
It was trash but apparently it was really popular in Japan while it was airing so maybe expect a season 2, although i won’t be watching anymore

guess most of Japanese people didn't watch Harry Potter. any way agree with you, trashy anime.
May 8, 2:51 AM
Mar 2019
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:
Kreshre said:

if you really call this as a 8.5/10, i just feel bad for the other anime's with really good story line, which scored the same. isn't it too high, even most of the greatest animes of all time scored 8/10.

just know my rating is an opinion not fact there is someone who is rating almost every new anime a 10 for no reason before it airs
May 8, 2:55 AM
May 2022
RealityChanges said:
I finished this anime a while back. I understand that the LN readers were hyping this up and till this day I was wondering what was there to be hyped about. I like the revenge story line but I heard it dosen't get much into it in the LN and defenitly didn't happen in the anime. I'm not saying this anime is bad, I enjoyed it but I wasn't expecting this.

Start was really nice the ending started being just okay ish. But it’s good show don’t know about the LN.
May 8, 2:58 AM
Dec 2022
Kreshre said:
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:

just know my rating is an opinion not fact there is someone who is rating almost every new anime a 10 for no reason before it airs

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚, that really made me laugh lol πŸ˜‚,i mean before even airing, but i still feel obligated when you rate it so hy, still respect your opinion, that's true too
May 8, 11:54 AM

Apr 2021
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:
Kreshre said:

Hey you didn’t notice that I did not give this a 10/10

πŸ˜‚ I’m trying to rate better
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

May 8, 12:25 PM
Handler One

Jan 2023
Early on held potential, by the end it came down a bit. That one episode when Oliver dueled that one guy and that twist was revealed (If someone can explain it better than I can, thank you) was the highlight of the show.

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
May 8, 1:16 PM
Oct 2022
I heard that the light novel is very loved and praised,it’s just that the studio butchered the anime adaptation
May 8, 4:09 PM
Feb 2023
If they were keep going with the revenge story and more character development it would have been a great anime.

Instead of that we wasted our time watching a tragic story of a succubus, then from Hogwarts vibes we went to a Jurassic park parody and we closed with an amazing epilogue with yuri happy ending.

In the last 7 episodes i was wondering what do with my life, literally !
May 8, 5:34 PM

Oct 2015
Dubcow126 said:
I heard that the light novel is very loved and praised,it’s just that the studio butchered the anime adaptation

I am a LN reader. You are right, the LN is the one of the most promoted ones in the community.

Bad LN adaptations are very common nowadays because they are made to promote LN sales.

EDIT:
To OP: Sorry, I don’t understand the question you are asking. I have read 9 volumes, I can try my best to answer the question you want to ask.
NewestPersonHereMay 9, 2:23 AM
May 8, 6:17 PM
May 2023
ejleon said:
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:

just saw ur mean score of 8.96 😭
I refuse to believe the 520 anime you have rated are averaged about a score 9...
perhaps you should go over the list and change some ratings aha
May 8, 8:42 PM

Apr 2021
holo-simp said:
ejleon said:

I refuse to believe the 520 anime you have rated are averaged about a score 9...

Going by that mean score is very misleading, it does not give an accurate picture of my rating of anime.

For example, you assuming that I rated all 520 anime a 9, which is not true. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

However, after talking to people, I am re-watching and re-rating anime so I can bring that down some.

May 8, 11:16 PM
May 2023
ejleon said:
holo-simp said:

Going by that mean score is very misleading, it does not give an accurate picture of my rating of anime.

For example, you assuming that I rated all 520 anime a 9, which is not true. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

However, after talking to people, I am re-watching and re-rating anime so I can bring that down some.

oh I mean,,, obviously you have not rated every single anime a 9, but the majority of them must be a 9...
May 8, 11:50 PM

Apr 2021
holo-simp said:
ejleon said:

oh I mean,,, obviously you have not rated every single anime a 9, but the majority of them must be a 9...

The issue is that when I started on MAL every anime I liked, I just rated a 10/10, believing it might help it get a 2nd 3rd (etc) season, but that was quite a noob assumption.

I had no idea how the anime community works

So my rating is currently way off at the moment.

I have been asking other people how they rate anime to get more input on how to rate anime.

Would you mind sending me a message about how you rate anime?

That would help me a lot.

May 9, 2:45 AM
Apr 2019
ejleon said:
holo-simp said:

The issue is that when I started on MAL every anime I liked, I just rated a 10/10, believing it might help it get a 2nd 3rd (etc) season, but that was quite a noob assumption.

I have been asking other people how they rate anime to get more input on how to rate anime.

You should rate anime how you want to rate and not listen to other people. I rate high because I enjoy what I watch. Other people seem to watch shows they don’t like and then give them 1-3 ratings. You don’t have to justify the way you rate, just do you
May 9, 7:10 AM
Dec 2022
ejleon said:
Yeshaiah2015yesh said:

lol stop the cap, how the hell would i even notice πŸ˜‚, what you rated, if you restricted 😭 anyone from browsing your listπŸ™. and keep doing better 🧘🏻‍♂️ bro
May 9, 7:13 AM

Feb 2021
The LN is decent, I like it, but I still have to read more to see how good it can actually be...
May 9, 7:54 AM

Apr 2021
Todday said:
ejleon said:

You should rate anime how you want to rate and not listen to other people. I rate high because I enjoy what I watch. Other people seem to watch shows they don’t like and then give them 1-3 ratings. You don’t have to justify the way you rate, just do you

Thank you for sharing and your encouragement, I greatly appreciate it.

I am asking to hear other perspectives, in case I agree, and then want to incorporate that into my rating.

But in the end it will be my own personal rating still.

May 11, 4:41 AM
Mar 2021
MadanielFL said:
The LN is decent, I like it, but I still have to read more to see how good it can actually be...

The LNs are really good. They provide all the detail and explanations that the anime lacked. Recommend the series to anyone who liked "Harry Potter" that would be the closest thing in Western media to this series imo.

In regards to pacing of the anime it felt rushed at the end cause they were trying to cram 3 LNs worth of material into 15 episodes and they cut out a lot of the details from Volume 3 of the LN.
May 11, 4:50 AM
Mar 2021
RealityChanges said:

The revenge story line is more prominent in some volumes than others. Other Volumes will focus on character development, and world building. It is definitely worth your time to read them if you enjoyed the anime. I look at the anime as a small taste of what the LNs offer.
May 11, 4:57 AM
Mar 2021
Kitsune_089 said:
First few eps were 10/10, by the end it was 5/10
Another show gimped by pacing

Yeah they were trying to cram a whole LN worth of material in like 4 episodes. Yeah I was disappointed too at the pace of the end.
Aug 23, 5:53 PM

Sep 2015
Reply to ejleon
Todday said:
ejleon said:

Thank you for sharing and your encouragement, I greatly appreciate it.

I am asking to hear other perspectives, in case I agree, and then want to incorporate that into my rating.

But in the end it will be my own personal rating still.
@ejleon
There is no rating system that is objective but based on your responses, it seems you understand that.

I see two perspectives on rating anime. If we just assume somehow we watched every single anime in existence, the average should be a 5. Hopefully it's intuitive why that would be the case. The average score of all anime, naturally will be dead center. Some people will just go with that and rate anime they have no strong opinions of a 5. Stuff they dislike is lower, stuff they enjoy gets higher.

I disagree with using 5 as the "default" rating to go off of. We are already filtering anime series out before even watching one second of it. Looking at genre, ratings, reviews, synopsis, PVs, artworks, studios etc, viewers will dismiss some series entirely while giving others a try.
If you do this, then your score should not be averaging a 5 since before you even watch a series; you have already picked something you have a higher chance of liking. Depending on how good you are at picking stuff that you like, a series may have a higher chance of appealing to you. That means of the series you did watch, it should average ABOVE 5 due to a pre-selection bias. 6-7 is what I think makes sense for me. But that's your own judgement call.

If you randomly pick series to watch completely blind, then sure; a average of 5 will be the mathematical outcome eventually, but that's not how 99% of people pick shows to watch.

On this note, MAL ratings don't tell you much unless there is more information associated with it. People who drop a show will naturally rate it lower as they dropped it for a reason. Those that finished will tend towards rating it higher, otherwise they wouldn't sit through 12+ episodes of something they hated. There is a reason season 2s and 3s get higher ratings than season 1 on average although only marginally. Only people that liked the first season would watch a second, filtering out those that didn't like it and thus inflating the ratings. If the subsequent season gets a lower rating than the previous; the series did something wrong.
There's also the possibility a show gets better later on, or gets worse later on. Seeing at what point do people drop a show will also be informative so we know if it started off bad (1-3 ep) or if it got worse over time (ep 6+).
Sep 6, 8:57 PM
Mar 2020
The light novels are truly 'peak fiction,' as the kids like to say. I'm currently on volume 9, and I can honestly say the anime didn’t do the source material justice. A lot of crucial information and characterization was either watered down or completely glossed over. It reminded me of A Certain Magical Index III (also done by J.C. Staff), where they seemed to just speed run to hit the big 'moments' without proper build-up, leaving anime-only viewers with little reason to care about what was happening.

Episode 1 could have really benefitted from a 50-minute to hour-long prologue, like the first season of Oshi no Ko. Instead, what we got was a visually appealing, yet soulless, advertisement for the source material. It felt like the message was: "Hey! Want to understand what’s going on? Buy the books, buy the books, buy the books!"

The scope of Reign of the Seven Spellblades could easily be made into a full anime franchise, but it seems studios today have little faith in fantasy stories that aren’t isekai or 'dark shounen.'

Needless to say, my disappointment with this adaptation is immeasurable. If we do get a season 2, I really hope they put more focus on a cohesive narrative structure.

In any case, you're better off reading the light novels or even checking out the manga adaptation if you're a fan of Sakae Esuno (the creator of Mirai Nikki) and his art.
MRD_CroweSep 6, 9:01 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

37 by RioAl »»
Jul 8, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.