Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

First 6 episodes have 20 minutes of new footage. Following 7 episodes are new material

New
Mar 20, 3:38 PM
Apr 2012
SAND LAND: THE SERIES takes the 106-minute movie and re-edits it into the first six 24-minute episodes. There is 20 minutes of new footage (not including opening and ending theme songs). Episodes 1-6 are labeled the "Akuma no Ōji" (Prince of Demons) arc.

Episodes 7-13 is new material and is labeled "Tenshi no Yūsha" (Angelic Heroes) arc, with the story set in a new location called "Forest Land."

SAND LAND: THE SERIES will debut its first seven episodes simultaneously on Disney+ worldwide (Hulu in the U.S.) on March 20, 2024. Episodes 8-13 will then be released weekly. Episode 8 will be out March 27th, 2024. If the schedule remains the same, then the final episode (#13) will release on May 1st, 2024.

(Source: Anime News Network)
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/sand-land/the-series-anime/episodes-1-6/.208391

Also, the game just released the demo yesterday (March 19th, 2024) and will be releasing the full game on April 25th, 2024.

Additionally, a recent trailer confirms that the game will adapt both arcs. However, the series might have some unique scenes. I'm watching the series and playing the game. I recommend you all do the same.

Demo trailer below:
Shining_FalconMar 22, 8:30 AM
Mar 20, 5:47 PM
Mar 2020
Shining_Falcon said:
SAND LAND: THE SERIES takes the 106-minute movie and re-edits it into the first six 24-minute episodes. There is 20 minutes of new footage (not including opening and ending theme songs). Episodes 1-6 are labeled the "Akuma no Ōji" (Prince of Demons) arc.

Episodes 7-13 is new material and is labeled "Tenshi no Yūsha" (Angelic Heroes) arc, with the story set in a new location called "Forest Land."

Also, the game just released the demo yesterday (March 19th, 2024) and will be releasing the full game on April 25th, 2024.

Demo trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBMLYnsq9s

When will eps 7-13 be released?
Mar 21, 8:33 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to UltraUncEnergy
Shining_Falcon said:

Demo trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBMLYnsq9s

When will eps 7-13 be released?
@YuYuHunter55
SAND LAND: THE SERIES will debut its first seven episodes simultaneously on Disney+ worldwide (Hulu in the U.S.) on March 20, 2024. Episode 7 is already out! Episodes 8-13 will then be released weekly. Episode 8 will be out March 27th, 2024. By that logic, the final episode (#13) will release on May 1st, 2024.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/sand-land/the-series-anime/episodes-1-6/.208391
Mar 22, 12:04 AM

Apr 2014
I haven't read the manga or seen the movie - is the new content un-adapted manga content? Or is it newly created story for the series?
Mar 22, 8:27 AM
Apr 2012
Reply to ChangeLeopardon
I haven't read the manga or seen the movie - is the new content un-adapted manga content? Or is it newly created story for the series?
@ChangeLeopardon The manga was a 14-chapter series released in a single volume back in 2000 in Japan. Akira Toriyama's drew it after he'd finished the original Dragon Ball manga. Additionally Dragon Ball and Sand Land were the first manga to be released in the US version of Weekly Shōnen Jump (Titled Shonen Jump in the US).

Given the 23-24 year difference between adaptations, the movie covers everything from the manga with some additional flourishes. The TV series and game definitely have new material never seen in the manga. Nothing is left Un-adapted. 14 chapters is a reasonable amount of content to be adapated into a movie or 6 episodes.

As for what material is new specifically in the TV/game, I can't say until the film is out on Blu-ray in Japan. Honestly, it's just easier to watch the TV series or play the game, because that way you've seen the best version.
Mar 24, 12:31 PM

Apr 2014
Reply to Shining_Falcon
@ChangeLeopardon The manga was a 14-chapter series released in a single volume back in 2000 in Japan. Akira Toriyama's drew it after he'd finished the original Dragon Ball manga. Additionally Dragon Ball and Sand Land were the first manga to be released in the US version of Weekly Shōnen Jump (Titled Shonen Jump in the US).

Given the 23-24 year difference between adaptations, the movie covers everything from the manga with some additional flourishes. The TV series and game definitely have new material never seen in the manga. Nothing is left Un-adapted. 14 chapters is a reasonable amount of content to be adapated into a movie or 6 episodes.

As for what material is new specifically in the TV/game, I can't say until the film is out on Blu-ray in Japan. Honestly, it's just easier to watch the TV series or play the game, because that way you've seen the best version.
@Shining_Falcon I haven't read the manga or watched the movie, so I was just curious if the movie only covered half of the story or if the series is adding anime-original content. Thanks!
Mar 25, 8:17 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to ChangeLeopardon
@Shining_Falcon I haven't read the manga or watched the movie, so I was just curious if the movie only covered half of the story or if the series is adding anime-original content. Thanks!
@ChangeLeopardon

Apologies for the history lesson. I just thought it was obvious. All 14 chapters are adapted into the 1 hr and 45 min movie. The TV series adds a few more original scenes and a new arc with news characters designed by Toriyama. So choose whichever version you want.

If you want to read the manga, do it. For Akira Toriyama. May he rest in peace.
Mar 28, 3:03 PM

Jun 2015
This is just a cash grab they want to benefit from Akira Toriyama's death.
Mar 29, 10:30 AM

Aug 2009
Reply to phantom346
This is just a cash grab they want to benefit from Akira Toriyama's death.
@phantom346 You know that they announced that series in November 2023? Almost 4 months before Akira's death. So how is it "benefit from Akira Toriyama's death"?
Mar 29, 12:45 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to Shaddy
@phantom346 You know that they announced that series in November 2023? Almost 4 months before Akira's death. So how is it "benefit from Akira Toriyama's death"?
@Shaddy I see. Nvm then. What a fortunate coincidence for them.
Mar 29, 2:08 PM
Apr 2012
Reply to phantom346
@Shaddy I see. Nvm then. What a fortunate coincidence for them.
@phantom346

I would NOT say its a cash grab, because it's actually a good watch. Reminds me of the classic 80s and 90s adventure stories you don't anymore. The ones which were fun for sake of being fun and didn't have to worry about ratings or budget constraints. Things like Zoids or Digimon Adventure, or even the more recent Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai. So I wouldn't call it a cash grab. Just a series Bando Namco had the rights to and decided to sit on until they had time to make it into a film. The Series was just an extension of that, and managed to cross-promote the game at the same time, because Multi-media franchises are pretty common. And for the record, Toriyama was involved with the development for awhile. Series success had nothing to do with his death. It's just unfortunate that he passed a week before the series premiered, but he definitely saw the finished product of the movie. The World premiere was at the International San Diego Comic-Con July 21 to 23, 2023 followed by the Japan premiere on August 1st, 2023. Pretty sure Toriyama attended the Japan premiere at least.

Don't assume a studio can create a series in two weeks after a creator's death and premiere it as a cash grab. Takes 3 months at bare minimum to make a cheap anime series, but the really good anime are usually developed for 1-3 years prior to releasing a show. Sometimes 5 years or more. Especially if the pandemic delayed the release.

Besides, the film was announced on December 17th, 2022 with the series being announced 11 months later on November 14, 2023. As for the production studio, this was actually a co-production between Sunrise, Kamikaze Douga, and Anima with Bandai Namco holding the license for the franchise. No sign of Toei Animation (the team that does Dragon Ball) possibly because A) they weren't invited, B) they didn't have time, or C) because Bandai Namco wanted to do a Toriyama work that did NOT have Toei animation involved. Whatever the reason, it makes Sand Land feel unique, and I recommend giving it a watch now or when it finishes on May 1st, 2024.

And I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh. We actually have similar tastes in anime. I'm just trying to explain my reasoning and trying to make a fellow anime fan understand that scheduling a release date cannot be done without serious planning and arrangements. The only time a release date can alter suddenly is if there is a serious production delay or if an incredibly popular movie or game is releasing close by and everyone tries to avoid it like an oncoming train. Example: Elden Ring DLC: Shadow of the Erdtree, because every game releasing in June 2024 has either moved 3 weeks back or moved 2 weeks ahead to avoid that monster of a release on June 20, 2024. Anime has fewer examples, but when production delays happen, like in Nier: Automata Ver1.1a, the final 4 episodes had to be packaged together as a single episode and were released when there was a TV time slot 5 months later (11 months later for the Dub). Scheduling is important. I know we see series just released on Crunchyroll whenever and whenever, but Japan has TV networks dedicated to anime and plenty of anime film premieres in theatres. They can't adjust the release dates without financial penalties, rescheduling and loss of potential viewers.

That's all from me. Apologies for the wall of text. Hope you enjoy the show if it's for you. If not, no worries.

Shining_FalconMar 29, 9:49 PM
Oct 11, 8:22 PM
Apr 2012
Movie version of Sand Land is available online now. If anyone wants to compare it with the TV series, check the sites you use for streaming. Enjoy.

More topics from this board

» Whats Your Favourite Version?

Armaldork - Yesterday

1 by catfelix »»
Today, 12:27 AM

Poll: » Sand Land: The Series Episode 13 Discussion

deg - May 1

26 by ropiel »»
Sep 16, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Sand Land: The Series Episode 3 Discussion

deg - Mar 20

10 by Sr_Gus »»
Jul 15, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Sand Land: The Series Episode 1 Discussion

ryzxgum - Mar 20

13 by Sr_Gus »»
Jul 10, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Sand Land: The Series Episode 12 Discussion

deg - Apr 24

12 by Apratim »»
May 20, 10:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.